Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Zoro’s so cool
loving...... this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Actually almost certainly a bit over 2 years, if we account for breaks.

Taking every 4th week off, plus break weeks that WSJ already takes (4 weeks throughout the year?) puts it at 35 chapters a year, so just shy of 3 years for the next 100 chapters.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to read one piece until i die

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

oddium posted:

i'm going to read one piece until i die

Which will end first, your life or one piece?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the world will end before one piece is done

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One Piece will finish before Hunter X Hunter

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

EmmyOk posted:

This is pretty likely.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Which will end first, your life or one piece?

Oda's lungs

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

verbal enema posted:

the world will end before one piece is done

somehow in the aftermath of the destruction, oda, rapidly freezing to death in the void of space, adds the final bit of shading to the last panel of the last chapter of one piece. 'it is finished' he utters with his last gasp. no one hears.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Silly goons, 900 was the last chapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I'm not convinced hunter x hunter will even have left the boat before one piece ends

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If Berserk managed it, then so can HxH.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not convinced hunter x hunter will even have left the boat before one piece ends

I think they'll get off at the island but it'll probably be forever until it gets to the continent

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

EmmyOk posted:

This is pretty disheartening... I am trying to accept that the end of the Chimera Ant arc was a decent enough ending for the series and this dark continent arc is just some frosting on a yummy cake... aka I don't need it but it's nice to have it there.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

certain people need priority access to immortality imho. (and me, to keep reading)

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I never want to know how One Piece ends. I don't even want to know if One Piece has an end. Who would want to read a boring manga like that?

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it'd be really funny if they cut to the reverie or wano next chapter

hosed up but funny

I'm legit hoping this happens.

It's still so odd to me in the narrative that Kaidou's supposedly going to be defeated before Big Mom, but I guess we'll see how it plays out. Maybe Big Mom has more destructive power than Kaidou, but even she seems to think Kaidou's untouchable. Here's to the next 100 chapters, wonder if chapter 1000 will be Kaidou's defeat.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Demonicpoodle posted:

Here's to the next 100 chapters, wonder if chapter 1000 will be Kaidou's defeat.
I'd be surprised if this arc ended before another fifty chapters, honestly. Or at least thirty or so.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Demonicpoodle posted:

I'm legit hoping this happens.

It's still so odd to me in the narrative that Kaidou's supposedly going to be defeated before Big Mom, but I guess we'll see how it plays out. Maybe Big Mom has more destructive power than Kaidou, but even she seems to think Kaidou's untouchable. Here's to the next 100 chapters, wonder if chapter 1000 will be Kaidou's defeat.

My assumption is that Luffy will have to defeat Big Mom with fewer allies. Luffy is going to have Marco, Law, and both Dukes to help him against Kaidou, and quite possibly some combination of Drake, Kidd, Killer, and Hawkins as well.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Luffy can't beat Emperors in a one on one fight how does he expect to be the Pirate King? :colbert:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

being pirate king isn't about being the strongest, it's about being the freest

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, it's not like Luffy has talked about how he wants the power to beat anyone so he can protect everyone he cares about from anything. Or that he didn't just enter a completely unnecessary fight simply to test his limits and try to grow stronger. What do you think this is, some kind of shonen manga or something?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
how can you be truly free if someone else can just punch away your freedom

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah.... it's like friday is christmas 👏👺

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

how can you be truly free if someone else can just punch away your freedom

that would never happen if luffy had a gun

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Should I read or watch this if I have very little anime experience but the theme appeals to my senses?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Should I read or watch this if I have very little anime experience but the theme appeals to my senses?

The anime is decent for a while, then takes a nosedive that it has never recovered from, because the people still watching would apparently watch a festering donkey corpse if you televised it.

Personally I'd be all in on the manga, but the anime is decent for a good while if you fancy it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, One Piece is great for newcomers. Most in this thread would recommend reading it. You can watch the anime, but keep in mind that a few hundred episodes in the pacing becomes absolutely glacial as they catch up with the manga.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Should I read

Read the gently caress outta this.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Short answer: It's a fun series but it's also huge, so I wouldn't go buying the whole thing immediately. Check out of the first few arcs and see if it fits your interests. The anime is decent for a while, but eventually it caught up with the manga and then slowed way down, so most people stopped watching the anime around then and switched to manga only. If there's some massive fight scene you want to see animated, you can always just go check out that specific episode later.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

There are far, far too many episodes to recommend watching it to anybody.

Just read it. It's better in manga form anyway

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You should read this comic.

Then you should watch the Perona Usopp fight on youtube since the show peaks right there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cool, I'll get the volumes from my BIL :yeah:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Cool, I'll get the volumes from my BIL :yeah:

Please come to the thread and post your reactions to all the amazing story beats.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Really if you want to watch the anime, there's a few hundred episodes of good. Hard stop at Marineford and pick up the manga, though, because that's when the anime's pacing took a nosedive at mach 35.

Or go look up One Pace.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I stopped watching the show I think about eight to ten years ago and even then it was like 5 minutes of recap at the beginning of every 20 minute episode with another minute or so at the end hyping up the next one. The pacing was just so slow but that's maybe not terrible if you are watching it all in one go.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

christ it would take you like two solid weeks of watching with no sleep to watch all the anime, why would you even consider it. The anime was alright at times but there was never a moment when it surpassed the manga, so there's just no good reason to waste your time subjecting yourself to it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

The anime was alright at times but there was never a moment when it surpassed the manga, so there's just no good reason to waste your time subjecting yourself to it

kiss my grits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH1C86DKwgw

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4RNWbP1G-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the punch was better in the manga imo