Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Chance II posted:

Fair enough, although I think that either needing a piece of salvage to repair the mech or to make the repairs cheaper would be a neat idea. I guess I'm coming from mekhq where a cored mech is basically written off as a total loss as far as my company is concerned.

Good news, there is a "Mech Recovery Chance" variable that is set to 1.0 by default. You can go in there and set it to 0.0 for a total loss every time or somewhere in between for a chance to be able to rebuild or if it's a total loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Good news, there is a "Mech Recovery Chance" variable that is set to 1.0 by default. You can go in there and set it to 0.0 for a total loss every time or somewhere in between for a chance to be able to rebuild or if it's a total loss.

Cool! I'm glad that the game seems pretty moddable. I get that not everyone wants the same thing and its always nice when you can customize things to your preference.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's kind of neat. If you set it to a chance you won't know until you make it to the last screen, making you less likely to save scum. Set it to like 25% chance to lose and it'd be painful but not constantly debilitating, but it'd make you play more like you could lose the mech at any time without encouraging you to save scum any time a mech goes down.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Can someone explain to me how crits work in Battletech (pref in HBS Battletech but TT would be ok also) since I was under the impression that they only started to happen after you stripped armour, but I've seen people talk about "through armour crits" so I assume that my original assumption was wrong and I also know nothing about what crits actually do other than they can disable weapons and make ammo blow up.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Can someone explain to me how crits work in Battletech (pref in HBS Battletech but TT would be ok also) since I was under the impression that they only started to happen after you stripped armour, but I've seen people talk about "through armour crits" so I assume that my original assumption was wrong and I also know nothing about what crits actually do other than they can disable weapons and make ammo blow up.

Think of a thru armor crit as spalling maybe from a fluff perspective.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
HBS Battletech doesn't have through armor crits, so you don't have to worry about it.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

HBS, no such thing.

TT, after you hit and you do the location roll, there's a chance (1/36) that the shot will do armor damage but also get a crit roll. (Which has the usual chance to generate nothing.) Your basic 4 on 4 fight will get maybe two or three TAC chances the entire battle. They're pretty rare and even when they happen are often not enough to swing a fight - but they make for great stories when some opening salvo LRM5 makes an otherwise mint assault mech vaporize.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sidestrafe vs his audience.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ClearCogentChickpeaResidentSleeper

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tempest_56 posted:

HBS, no such thing.

TT, after you hit and you do the location roll, there's a chance (1/36) that the shot will do armor damage but also get a crit roll. (Which has the usual chance to generate nothing.) Your basic 4 on 4 fight will get maybe two or three TAC chances the entire battle. They're pretty rare and even when they happen are often not enough to swing a fight - but they make for great stories when some opening salvo LRM5 makes an otherwise mint assault mech vaporize.

Every single person who's ever played Battletech definitely has a story of something like a single small laser from a light TAC-ing the gyro on a completely undamaged assault ending up with it falling head over heels off the map.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gwaihir posted:

Every single person who's ever played Battletech definitely has a story of something like a single small laser from a light TAC-ing the gyro on a completely undamaged assault ending up with it falling head over heels off the map.

As best exemplified in this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pyCsu0QRO0

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zaodai posted:

This appears to be very good but the rule appears to be very bad and I appreciate that Weisman is taking the opportunity to fix his game

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It comes down to whether you think a bit of randomness is good in your game or not. It would probably be infuriating in a game where you're primarily facing the AI, but against other players it lets some fun moments happen.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rude.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zaodai posted:

It comes down to whether you think a bit of randomness is good in your game or not. It would probably be infuriating in a game where you're primarily facing the AI, but against other players it lets some fun moments happen.

Yeah, TACs and instant kill headshots are just part of the TT charm. If you're running a campaign there are optional rules to give players a certain number of rerolls a game so that the pilot you've been RP'ing for a year doesn't get blasted from a TAC LRM that nukes the cockpit.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Watching his stream now and he is horrible at the game. Currently on minute 5 or 6 of him deciding a single move. He honestly makes the game look bad.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
They need a streamer mode for the campaign, but all it does is give you a time limit for your turns in combat.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

if I remember a screenshot I saw saying "no cost besides time and cbills" is a little misleading when the cost in both time and c-bills is enormous. There's more of a drawback than just pilot death. You don't have that mech for a long-rear end time and you don't have a lot of money you could otherwise turn into another mech, weapons, repair costs for the rest of your lance, argo upgrades ...

like didn't cohh obliterate a mech somehow and then just go :stare: for a while at the repair screen?

60 day hospital stay for his commander, 45 day repair for the Blackjack, I think? I don't remember the cash involved, but 60 and 45 is a nice easy to remember combo.

That and ye olde mister perfect play "I would never take ANY internal damage! (Damnit, why wont' Cohh use death from above more often!?)" probably would not consider the fact you can only work on one mech at a time any form of downside :v:

Repairing an exploded mech also means you can't even refit the weapons on other mechs while it is worked on, right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Section Z posted:

Repairing an exploded mech also means you can't even refit the weapons on other mechs while it is worked on, right?

From what I've seen you can change the priorities of repairs so you can get other things done in the interim.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah it looks like you can shuffle any mech-tech job in the queue even if it's mid-work. Job-packages that is, I don't think you can reshuffle the order the individual tasks (what order do you take the weapons off, what order do you repair the internal structure, etc.) get done.

MechTech jobs being serial and MedTech jobs being parallel should make for some interesting dynamics, where you can run a lot of mechs with a pretty small amount of pilots.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

What HBS needs to do is give Beaglerush a copy to stream now that he's broken up with XCOM

FRIENDSHIP ended with XCOM
Now BATTLETECH is my BEST FRIEND

And then he spends half an hour using the priority system to Beaglewatch a single Commando

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

What HBS needs to do is give Beaglerush a copy to stream now that he's broken up with XCOM

FRIENDSHIP ended with XCOM
Now BATTLETECH is my BEST FRIEND

And then he spends half an hour using the priority system to Beaglewatch a single Commando

lol and super accurate.

Also FilthyRobot might be a solid streamer to hand the game to, hes a huge rear end in a top hat type but is amazing at squeezing optimal play out of any turnbased strategy game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'd actually love watching beaglerush try this game out - I used to watch his streams a lot and this hseems like a good fit for him

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Raged posted:

Watching his stream now and he is horrible at the game. Currently on minute 5 or 6 of him deciding a single move. He honestly makes the game look bad.

Watching him play is honestly infuriating.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

They pick a specific location and cluster around that location, but roll to-hit for each individual missile. So no one-roll for your LRM20 to see if it wiffs completely, you get 20 chances to hit with one missile each.

On the "only c-bills and time" cost - that's a big cost. When your finances are measured in low single digit "months-till-bankruptcy", having a huge c-bill cost and months of repair time (during which you still have to pay your pilots and other assorted upkeep) is a big deal. Also, no parallel mech-tech work means multiple mech related work tasks can get real bad (super glad armor replacement is free and instant though).

I feel like this is A Good Change. Hits being likely to cluster in the same general area means you're decent at actually focusing damage instead of sandblasting all over a target, and each missile being a separate hit makes it a nice ranged critseeker, too. IS LRMs always felt a little underwhelming to me.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2AFnrzUIjo
this is loving good

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
I want Beagle to play the game, but I'm also terrified of him playing because I know he'll be savage if he doesn't like it. :ohdear:

Also he will spend waaaay too long figuring out how best to manipulate the reserve system.

Also the game will not be hard enough for him.

Look, I'm just going to be a nervous wreck for the next two weeks, ok?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

isildur posted:

I want Beagle to play the game, but I'm also terrified of him playing because I know he'll be savage if he doesn't like it. :ohdear:

Also he will spend waaaay too long figuring out how best to manipulate the reserve system.

Multiple streamers have openly said the game is extremely addictive and they are having trouble stopping themselves from playing.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Was looking for this since Cohn's first Battletech video, looks very cool.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

kingcom posted:

lol and super accurate.

Also FilthyRobot might be a solid streamer to hand the game to, hes a huge rear end in a top hat type but is amazing at squeezing optimal play out of any turnbased strategy game.

FR puts a lot of effort into his optimization efforts with numbers and testing, but he's not actually that good at it - he tends to lock himself into assumptions about how the games work, and the efforts I just mentioned are aimed at reinforcing his own biases.

Terrific player considering how he's able to handle brainpower-intensive games while streaming, though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zaodai posted:

We need a That' Battletech gif like the :xcom: one.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Gentlegoons, we are 13 days left from release.

There are 13 episodes of the BattleTech cartoon.

You know what you must do.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sky Shadowing posted:

Gentlegoons, we are 13 days left from release.

There are 13 episodes of the BattleTech cartoon.

You know what you must do.

The cartoon was good

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Very well.

e: lol this owns

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 11, 2018

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Aramoro posted:

We need a That' Battletech gif like the :xcom: one.

PTN has a few

Oh poo poo, it still works (in Firefox anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrxjnEWIuk

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I hope there'll be a game mode or mod, where you can only control one mech. Maybe the arenas from mechwarrior iv?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

isildur posted:

Y'all seem to have done a great job. I can't imagine the stress of not only scrambling to put on the finishing touches, but the thought of releasing years of work for us to dissect enjoy. Seriously though, the game looks great and you should be proud.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The cartoon was good

I actually had a shadowhawk mech action figure from this show as a kid.

Game comes out two days before I leave the country for a week and a half, maaan. Gonna be fantasizing about it the whole time.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 11, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FunkMonkey posted:

I actually had a shadowhawk mech action figure from this show as a kid.

Game comes out two days before I leave the country for a week and a half, maaan. Gonna be fantasizing about it the whole time.
Pretend you're on a dropship ride to your contract.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Section Z posted:

Pretend you're on a dropship ride to your contract.

In that case, shouldn't someone be providing me hamburgers? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Paingod556 posted:

PTN has a few

These deserve some backstory really because they're loving great.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&pagenumber=1060#post427192078
was one of the missions that kicked off an amazing arc in PTN's thread, and that mission notably included a single Crab laughing as it danced around and killed a Kraken 3, a Dire Wolf H, and an Atlas IIC loaded with a HAG-40.
The Kraken is also the one piloted by "WHY WON'T SOMEONE loving KILL ME ALREADY" angry clan grandpa Ath who unfortunately missed most of his massive LRM volleys against cheeky lighter mechs.