Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

RCarr posted:

Just invent a little wrist band for the baby to wear that sends you an alert on your phone when you are get a certain distance away.

The problem with that is when you take it off to bathe them and forget to put it back on or the baby loses it at daycare enough times that you stop paying attention to the alert. All thses devices work great until you get so used to them that you start making mistakes. Better to have no tech to depend on and just train your brain to be more mindful.
I left a baby in my car once when I went to Walmart. Thankfully only for 10 minutes and it was a cool spring evening and she was fine, but that poo poo sticks in your brain and that's exactly what it *should* do. That kid is 20 now and I still always check behind me to see if her now 18 month old sibling is back there just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea it really doesn't matter how much of a genius idea you think it is, as soon as you become complacent and everything rides on this one thing never failing, it's just a matter of time until it does and you won't be prepared to catch it.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
All these devices probably exist in some form or another, they just never do very well because no one thinks it could ever happen to them, so they don't buy them. "I'm not a negligent parent, what kind of parent forgets their baby?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Chip babies

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Btw if anyone wonders about the fate of Andrei Bamberski, it was a one-year sentence for kidnapping which was commuted.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Btw if anyone wonders about the fate of Andrei Bamberski, it was a one-year sentence for kidnapping which was commuted.

What about Anton? :ohdear:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Randaconda posted:

What about Anton? :ohdear:

If you have a problem...
If no one else can help...
And if you can find him...
Maybe you can hire... Anton

I mean he kidnapped someone internationally so I assume he either went to prison for a while or got hired by Mossad.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's interesting to see the swiss cheese model being applied to different things than I'm used to seeing; I came across it in aviation disaster books, here's a bit more about it. The takeaway from the model is that human error has to be accounted for in complex systems or latent errors (such as bad memory) can become activated through faults in the system.

That's the problem I see with a technological attempt at "fixing" child car deaths. The solution has to take into account that it may just be passing the errors along. Another approach, although technological but trying to remove the memory error from consideration, might be to make the car environment safer so that forgetting the child doesn't expose that child to a deadly situation, such as some kind of automatic cooling whether there is a child there or not.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brawnfire posted:

It's kind of strange that the people who see white people taking advantage of and invading colored people's spaces, never think "maybe I'm one of them" and "maybe my perspective shields me from the damage my actions cause."

you basically summed up a massive portion of white activism

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
What the gently caress

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9a0f7d35f1e1

quote:

Relatives said 28-year-old Ekaterina Fedyaeva had been diagnosed with ovarian cysts — a condition in which fluid-filled sacs attach to the ovaries, then usually disappear on their own. But in some cases, according to the Mayo Clinic, doctors have to remove them.

Fedyaeva was advised that she needed a routine laparoscopic procedure to remove the cysts, relatives said, so she underwent surgery last month at a hospital in Ulyanovsk, a city in western Russia, according to RT, a Russian government-owned television network.

During the operation, medical personnel made a tragic and irreparable mistake: Russia's state-controlled news agency, Tass, reported that instead of administering saline solution, medical personnel mistakenly gave Fedyaeva formalin, a solution that contains formaldehyde — which is used to preserve dead bodies. The medical team tried to wash Fedyaeva's abdominal cavity, according to Tass, but it was too late.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ok someone said the original report was probably bunk cause it was a trashy Russian tabloid that mentioned it but if Washpo is reporting it now... that is literally like something out of a horror movie

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

That's literally the same link and article that was posted two pages ago.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

This is almost incredible. I actually remember the kidnapping being in the news in Belgium when it happened.

quote:

Six months later, swayed by the victim’s vivid testimony and by lab tests on the semen taken from her body immediately following the attack, the German judge convicted Krombach of raping a minor, ordered him to surrender his medical license, and sentenced him to two years in prison. Then, citing Krombach’s lack of a criminal record in Germany and his prestige in the community, the judge suspended the sentence and set him free.

WTF Germany

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

That's literally the same link and article that was posted two pages ago.

I didn't click it originally but looking back the thing they were calling the National Enquirer of Russia is RT which doesn't really match up. RT is biased as gently caress but I doubt they'd make up a report about their own horrific medical failure

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Formalin is definitely kept in operating rooms. There is always a supply on hand in case a surgeon wants to send a tissue sample to the lab to analyse the cell structure. This will often be because if they had excised a blob of tissue some kind and are looking to confirm either what the tissue is exactly or in cancer operations where the surgeon is cutting out a tumor. Cells have to be preserved so that they don't deteriorate to an unidentifiable ooze under the microscope so they're sent to the lab on formalin.

When I have encountered it, it's always in giant pour jars with very clear signage and a distinctive colour so that it would be difficult to pick it up by accident. It is a colourless solution though, so I suppose if they hospital had them in flexible sealed bags with poor labelling might be compatible with an IV giving set, I suppose someone who isn't paying that much attention might grab a bag, spike it and rig it up to be running for the operation.

However if that is the case there are some pretty major systemic issues with safety in the hospital. That would be like a hair salon where all the hairdryers were novelty cordless hairdryers that were a very accurate replica of a pistol and worked by pulling the trigger and someone also left a loaded gun in among all the hairdryers one day.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This Russian story sort of reminds me of an incident back in 2005, where a hospital washed its surgial tools in hydraulic fluid.

:patriot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kanonvandekempen posted:

This is almost incredible. I actually remember the kidnapping being in the news in Belgium when it happened.

WTF Germany

This is the world your mother grew up in and not far from today so bear that in mind when women discuss their challenges.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

For some reason every time I read something about surgical procedures on internal reproductive organs I get queasy as gently caress. Even illustrations of those makes me feel that way and this happens ONLY when concerning those organs. I can watch a surgery of any other part of the body no problemo. That formaldehyde story was really a hard read for me. I really wonder why does this happen.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/toronto-gay-village-killings

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Basebf555 posted:

You really need multiple hurdles in place. Like the biggest one, which is you should only ever have a carseat in the car when there's a kid riding in it. That way you don't get used to the idea of seeing it in your rearview mirror when there's no baby to worry about and get complacent. Make a habit of stopping for a second and thinking about where the baby is every single morning when you first step into your workplace, even if you aren't responsible for the baby that morning. Keep a picture of the baby on your desk that's right in your face so that long periods of time can't go by without the baby entering your mind. Stuff like that.

There's a process to correctly mounting a car seat in a car. If you're going to remove and reinstall it every time your kid gets in and out of the car (and, really, you drop your kid off at school and then do what with the car seat?) you're going to screw it up at some point. Some fraction of those screwups will result in fatalities, and then you can look at those fatalities and say "You shouldn't be removing your car seat every time your kid gets out of the car, just do it correctly once and then leave it there."

These are fantastically rare events, and blanket suggestions on how to prevent them are just as likely to cause other fantastically rare events. It's like the argument that you should never, ever, ever leave your kid alone in the car for even a second. Yes, occasionally a tragedy results from doing that, but occasionally a tragedy results because a parent decides she shouldn't leave her kid alone in the car for even a second and takes him into the bank with her.

The other things in your list are semantically equivalent to "don't forget your kid in the car."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gonna take a hard stance and say that parents shouldn't forget their kids in their car.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This Russian story sort of reminds me of an incident back in 2005, where a hospital washed its surgial tools in hydraulic fluid.

:patriot:

When I was a miner I saw a couple hydraulic fluid injection accidents (do not google this, it's gross). I can't imagine the damage an instrument soaked in that would do inside someone and I really don't want to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-india-43709817/india-s-abducted-grooms-forced-to-marry-in-bihar-state

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The MRA's were right?!?!?!?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

There's a process to correctly mounting a car seat in a car. If you're going to remove and reinstall it every time your kid gets in and out of the car (and, really, you drop your kid off at school and then do what with the car seat?) you're going to screw it up at some point. Some fraction of those screwups will result in fatalities, and then you can look at those fatalities and say "You shouldn't be removing your car seat every time your kid gets out of the car, just do it correctly once and then leave it there."

These are fantastically rare events, and blanket suggestions on how to prevent them are just as likely to cause other fantastically rare events. It's like the argument that you should never, ever, ever leave your kid alone in the car for even a second. Yes, occasionally a tragedy results from doing that, but occasionally a tragedy results because a parent decides she shouldn't leave her kid alone in the car for even a second and takes him into the bank with her.

The other things in your list are semantically equivalent to "don't forget your kid in the car."

There's no easy answers that are gonna take care of every potential horrible thing that could happen to a kid, agree with you there. As for the carseat, a more practical idea that others have brought up is to put something in it that you absolutely need when you get to your destination. Like your work ID card, or a key to get into the office, something like that.

But the "don't forget your kid in the car" suggestions are about mindfulness. Train yourself to always think of a certain thing at a certain time, and you will. If you try to only remember something at those particular moments when it's important to remember, it's not gonna work.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jeremy_X posted:

When I was a miner I saw a couple hydraulic fluid injection accidents (do not google this, it's gross). I can't imagine the damage an instrument soaked in that would do inside someone and I really don't want to.

I wouldn't have thought to google it if you hadn't written the disclaimer.:stonk:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

This is horrifying and should never happen, but what strikes me immediately is "it took him three years to agree to the marriage." The first boy has also refused and reported it to the police.

What would happen if a woman or girl refused this kind of marriage? Would she be allowed three years to consider it? I wonder if Roshan's potential bride was the same woman for those three years. :sigh:

Maharani looks so sad. If Roshan had refused, he would never have married anyone. What if Maharani had refused?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Sarcopenia posted:

I wouldn't have thought to google it if you hadn't written the disclaimer.:stonk:

I really do not want to google this and see images, anyone want to take a stab at explaining in text what the awfulness is?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

I really do not want to google this and see images, anyone want to take a stab at explaining in text what the awfulness is?

In the spoiler text below is an entry wound, and the stitched up hand after the resulting surgery. Not too gorey.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Although the initial wound often seems minor, the unseen, internal damage can be severe. With hydraulic fluids, paint, and detergents, these injuries are extremely serious as most hydraulic fluids and organic solvents are highly toxic. Delay in surgical treatment often leads to amputations or death. But even with pure water or air, these injuries cause compartment syndrome which leads to cell death if surgical intervention is delayed.

xtal has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Apr 11, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

As far as the baby thing goes why not just do what the poster on the last page said and leave one-- or better yet, both-- shoes in the back seat with the baby? No one forgets shoes and even if you did some jackass out there would be keen on pointing it out to you asap anyway.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
One day you'll forget to take your shoes off. Just moving the goalposts.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I've been watching the series Unmasking a Killer, which covers the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker. Dude was responsible for 51 rapes and 12 murders that they know of between 1976 and 1986. The real number could be much higher. They have no idea who he is and no viable leads.

The level of planning and brutality is disturbing. Really creepy knowing this guy is still loose.

The part of the story that really got to me happened after a town hall meeting. There had already been numerous rapes of single women at this point and the residents were holding a meeting with police about safety and what efforts were being taken to catch the guy. One citizen stated that if the rapist tried to break in or try anything with his wife, he'd shoot the guy. (Something to this effect.) Guess who the next victims were? Same citizen is tied up while his wife is raped, and the rapist targeted couples from then on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

eating only apples posted:

This is horrifying and should never happen, but what strikes me immediately is "it took him three years to agree to the marriage." The first boy has also refused and reported it to the police.

What would happen if a woman or girl refused this kind of marriage? Would she be allowed three years to consider it? I wonder if Roshan's potential bride was the same woman for those three years. :sigh:

Maharani looks so sad. If Roshan had refused, he would never have married anyone. What if Maharani had refused?

They said in the video that his "refusal" didn't really change anything and that no one else would marry him. Sounded more like he just gave up because he was hosed and was going to die alone if he didn't just accept it. Does that happen to women in India?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Booger Presley posted:

I've been watching the series Unmasking a Killer, which covers the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker. Dude was responsible for 51 rapes and 12 murders that they know of between 1976 and 1986. The real number could be much higher. They have no idea who he is and no viable leads.

The level of planning and brutality is disturbing. Really creepy knowing this guy is still loose.

The part of the story that really got to me happened after a town hall meeting. There had already been numerous rapes of single women at this point and the residents were holding a meeting with police about safety and what efforts were being taken to catch the guy. One citizen stated that if the rapist tried to break in or try anything with his wife, he'd shoot the guy. (Something to this effect.) Guess who the next victims were? Same citizen is tied up while his wife is raped, and the rapist targeted couples from then on.

God I wish I could remember the podcast (I hosed something up and nuked my subscribed podcasts, still not sure how I managed that) but it had a 4 or 5 episode coverage of this. I want to say the dude is a Brit (maybe Aussie?). I remember being so ticked that he hadn't been caught given how many times they seem to be on the verge of getting him.

If anyone knows the podcast I'm thinking of, please put it here so I can resubscribe.

Fake edit: nvm, I found it when I sorted by popularity. It was Casefile. Episode 53 (which is broken out into 5 parts totaling 8 1/2 hours + 2 bonus parts of interviews at 45 minutes)

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Casefile's the best, a must-listen for anyone reading this thread.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They've linked the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker, to a series of robberies in the years before the rapes started. There are more clues to his identity in those files, though of course no one ever caught the burglar.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

I'm sorry. It's worse in person.

pookel posted:

Every microwave a hotdog for waaaay to long? It's like that.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They've linked the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker, to a series of robberies in the years before the rapes started. There are more clues to his identity in those files, though of course no one ever caught the burglar.
Speaking of cold cases with new details, the Buckskin Girl has finally been identified.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

pookel posted:

You know those slow motion videos of water balloons popping? It's like right after the balloon starts to split, only it's a hand. (I just haaaaad to google for myself... I'm dumb)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

showbiz_liz posted:

You know those slow motion videos of water balloons popping? It's like right after the balloon starts to split, only it's a hand. (I just haaaaad to google for myself... I'm dumb)

this is dead-on