Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I was thinking of doing a Wolverine with blood and claws. Is that a stupid idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Just making sure because it seems like you get so few points and with the gear and all, but you pretty much need to focus on 2 weapons now? i feel like if i wanted to switch to another type i might as well just make a new guy

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Just making sure because it seems like you get so few points and with the gear and all, but you pretty much need to focus on 2 weapons now? i feel like if i wanted to switch to another type i might as well just make a new guy

Points aren't a problem in the long term, but gear would be if you want to do more than 2 weapons and want better than purple gear. However, you may just need a 3rd weapon to completely change your class. I think there are builds that just require the primary abilities and the secondary weapon is just for special abilities. If that's the case, then it's not that bad to grind a 3rd weapon to yellow+

I believe theflyingorc said they are considering something to make switching weapons easier in the end game, but no time frame or details were provided. So who knows.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's depressing how low the agent droprate is. Anyone want to guess what it is? 1%?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Space Skeleton posted:

It's depressing how low the agent droprate is. Anyone want to guess what it is? 1%?
It's about 1% or so from missions based on what people have worked out. Trading/buying them is the intended method of building your collection I think.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I've got a handful of blue weapons from caches that I've no use for so if any goons are just starting out and they'd like one, just let me know and we can sort out a meet in-game.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 9, 2018

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I'd like the blade and the hammer if no-one else wants them.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Bourricot posted:

Done. What's your in-game name?

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
Oh, those are tempting. I'm getting my rear end kicked in Tokyo. I'm rocking basically a Hammer Solo build with the interrupter skill from fist.

Should I save up MoF to try to get my hammer to triple pip or just use what I have now (a single pip) and just focus on leveling my equipment/talisman instead.

I also thought that Fist/Hammer was a good dps build, and I was fine going into Tokyo, but while here, I'm getting rocked. Any advice/skill cycle on a good fist/hammer build?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Bourricot posted:

I had my eye on the ball here lol - there's two blades, which do you want? :v:

DailyDumSum posted:

Oh, those are tempting. I'm getting my rear end kicked in Tokyo. I'm rocking basically a Hammer Solo build with the interrupter skill from fist.

Should I save up MoF to try to get my hammer to triple pip or just use what I have now (a single pip) and just focus on leveling my equipment/talisman instead.

I also thought that Fist/Hammer was a good dps build, and I was fine going into Tokyo, but while here, I'm getting rocked. Any advice/skill cycle on a good fist/hammer build?
Definitely focus on getting talismans to 3 pip first - pip rating there translates directly into stats (and it's like, 5% extra per pip or something) but with weapons the stats are identical and pips only changes how strong the suffix is (like alacrity or energy or whatever).

As far as a build, I've not done a lot with fist but try Demolish, Smash, Pain Suppression, Eruption, Obliterate, Annihilate, and No Pain, No Gain from hammer with Savage Sweep, Eviscerate and Bloodbath from fists with one passive slot for whatever you feel you need - some extra tankiness or damage as you see fit.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pilchenstein posted:

Definitely focus on getting talismans to 3 pip first - pip rating there translates directly into stats (and it's like, 5% extra per pip or something) but with weapons the stats are identical and pips only changes how strong the suffix is (like alacrity or energy or whatever).

As far as a build, I've not done a lot with fist but try Demolish, Smash, Pain Suppression, Eruption, Obliterate, Annihilate, and No Pain, No Gain from hammer with Savage Sweep, Eviscerate and Bloodbath from fists with one passive slot for whatever you feel you need - some extra tankiness or damage as you see fit.
MY ADVICE OF PIPS

depends on how hardcore you think you're gonna be - if you think you'll play through the story and then run a few dungeons at most, I'd recommend choosing carefully and making sure to merge INTO a 3 pip when making purples (or not care at all. one or the other).

If you think you'll stick around a bit more and have fun getting stronger, make sure all your pips are lined up before you merge your purples into oranges, because getting to red is a LONNNNGGGGGG time after that.

If you're in it for the long haul you can wait until you're making reds, but I'm decently active in game and I don't have any reds yet.

If you make a red 1 pip you have committed a sin against both God and Man

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

theflyingorc posted:

MY ADVICE OF PIPS

depends on how hardcore you think you're gonna be - if you think you'll play through the story and then run a few dungeons at most, I'd recommend choosing carefully and making sure to merge INTO a 3 pip when making purples (or not care at all. one or the other).

If you think you'll stick around a bit more and have fun getting stronger, make sure all your pips are lined up before you merge your purples into oranges, because getting to red is a LONNNNGGGGGG time after that.

If you're in it for the long haul you can wait until you're making reds, but I'm decently active in game and I don't have any reds yet.

If you make a red 1 pip you have committed a sin against both God and Man
This is all good advice but again, with weapons it's less important than with talismans. Also you should remember that you can buy an item to upgrade an item to 3 pips for 2500 aurum, which is about 475-500k marks of favour, depending on the exchange rate so if the difference between the 1/2 and 3 pip versions of an item on the auction house is more than half a million marks, it's cheaper to go the long way around. :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pilchenstein posted:

This is all good advice but again, with weapons it's less important than with talismans. Also you should remember that you can buy an item to upgrade an item to 3 pips for 2500 aurum, which is about 475-500k marks of favour, depending on the exchange rate so if the difference between the 1/2 and 3 pip versions of an item on the auction house is more than half a million marks, it's cheaper to go the long way around. :v:

ALTERNATIVELY, I am a big advocate for "give us all your money" so if you really wanna buy those pip upgraders you can

I have changed my vote, do that, give Funcom all your money, I deserve it, as a high-paid rockstar game developer I would like a third yacht

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
Yeah, I just recently discovered the difference between pips. Sometimes the funkier ones have less pips than the generic pip ones, any advice on that? So far I've follow the advice of combining into a 3 pip, but sometimes I think the two pip had better suffixes. Any advice on that?

I just recently combined two hammer superiors to an epic, but I kept the 1 pip because I like what the hammer did. I'm not really sure if there's a specific hammer I should be aiming towards if I want to use Fist/Hammer.

I've also been carelessly spending ap/sp on skills that I never used (like AK and Blades) just because I have the superior weapons in my inventory.

Obviously, I am a bad player.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Pilchenstein posted:

I had my eye on the ball here lol - there's two blades, which do you want? :v:

The Soviet one sounds nice :ussr:
And by in-game name, you mean my character's nickname, right? Cause I play via Steam, so I don't really have an account name :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Bourricot posted:

The Soviet one sounds nice :ussr:
And by in-game name, you mean my character's nickname, right? Cause I play via Steam, so I don't really have an account name :v:
Yeah, I need to know your character's name to find you in game. :v:

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I sent you a PM, I'm currently connected.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a particular weapon combo thats good for soloing? Weird question I guess but I enjoy this games story (got to Egypt back in the original release) but the gameplay, even with it being overhauled in this version doesn't really do it for me so anything that makes it faster or easier would be good.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

DailyDumSum posted:

Yeah, I just recently discovered the difference between pips. Sometimes the funkier ones have less pips than the generic pip ones, any advice on that? So far I've follow the advice of combining into a 3 pip, but sometimes I think the two pip had better suffixes. Any advice on that?

I just recently combined two hammer superiors to an epic, but I kept the 1 pip because I like what the hammer did. I'm not really sure if there's a specific hammer I should be aiming towards if I want to use Fist/Hammer.

I've also been carelessly spending ap/sp on skills that I never used (like AK and Blades) just because I have the superior weapons in my inventory.

Obviously, I am a bad player.

For talismans (non-weapons), a "plain" 3-pip version of the gear is always better than a rare 2-pip version. For weapons, the issue is considerably muddier, because the ability of a rare weapon often makes changes to the mechanics of the weapon.

That said, as a casual player who just wants to solo the storyline, the non-elite regions of the maps, and some of the dungeons, you can do that just fine with plain 3-pip gear that's mostly purple with a few blues.

How do I know? Because that's how I've beaten the storyline, including the new zone, and I am a terrible player. My build even does bad DPS in favor of ignoring Blood's damage-amplification mechanic (by slotting the base passive), being able to outheal most damage, and having two interrupts.

If you're looking for specific advice, power up the crap you have equipped until it gets to maxed-out blue, then spend MoF* on a 3-pip rare version of the gear that has an extra ability that seems useful. For weapons, I prefer the Alacrity suffix, because it makes it much easier to avoid boss mechanics and run away from NPCs when your sprint is disabled. Carry it with you and power it up until you max out blue, then use your currently-equipped gear to make the new gear purple. If you've already got purple, power up new weapons until they match the level of the old gear and power up new talismans until their stat bonuses equal or exceed the old gear.

* As noted above, for the gear you want that sells on the AH for a really high price, check to see if buying the cheapest 1 or 2-pip version and converting MoF to 2500 aurum for the cash shop upgrader would cost less. Or maybe you're cool with buying the cash shop currency with real money, instead of lighting $100 bills on fire in front of homeless orphans. Or whatever else it is you spend your entertainment budget on, you monster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
heck my current purple weapon is a 2-pipper

because I know I'll eventually mash it up to upgrade a 3-pipper

also i only have one purple talisman and finished South Africa pretty much just fine (some of the bosses were a bit hp-spongey but not awful)

Toughest bosses imo were the second-to-last one, and the Other Cool One. And in both cases it was because it took me a wipe or two to twig to the more dangerous mechanics.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Alacrity is really loving useful. Everyone goes for the *max dps* but you can catch up to them by being able to position more quickly before and after mechanics.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is alacrity always active if it's on your secondary?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

clone on the phone posted:

Is alacrity always active if it's on your secondary?

Pretty sure the speed bonus only activates if it's your active weapon.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

For AR, what is a good secondary? It does seem like I only have 1 spare active (I go with the healing shot for basic, HE grenade for elite, with burst fire, inciendary grenade and lock n load for the rest).

I understand 'of Energy' is good for AR, though less sure what is good/useful for secondary, and what 'red' effect I should be looking for (KSR being good for AR).

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a particular weapon combo thats good for soloing? Weird question I guess but I enjoy this games story (got to Egypt back in the original release) but the gameplay, even with it being overhauled in this version doesn't really do it for me so anything that makes it faster or easier would be good.

I also don't care much for the gameplay and have a hammer + shotgun. So far I've had no problems.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using nothing but chaos + pistols since launch and see no reason to change.

That being said hammer + pistols is another combo I'd happily use instead (may even be better in some ways) but I highly doubt I'm ever getting another one of those relaunch era agartha self healing weapons off the exchange again, so I'm resolved to stick with chaos as my primary forever and ever.

It's brain dead simple to play so long as you do any necessary footwork with mechanics. Plus twisting circle kicking everything forever doesn't get old.

Edit - I know it seems like a minor thing but if you folks aren't doing it already you need to farm cargo containers on the docks in Toyko when you get a big pile of filthy keys from quest rewards. There are some very good trinkets in there. I got a legendary grade one that auto cleanses me every 15 seconds or so. Such a quality of life improvement.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 10, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The cleanse one is great. Allows you to run through areas where enemies slow you without getting half as annoyed

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily

DancingShade posted:

Edit - I know it seems like a minor thing but if you folks aren't doing it already you need to farm cargo containers on the docks in Toyko when you get a big pile of filthy keys from quest rewards. There are some very good trinkets in there. I got a legendary grade one that auto cleanses me every 15 seconds or so. Such a quality of life improvement.

I'm in Tokyo, I was wondering what to do with those keys. I actually right click the keys though...and they become another from superior to mytic keys, for specific containers... is that what you're talking about?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DailyDumSum posted:

I'm in Tokyo, I was wondering what to do with those keys. I actually right click the keys though...and they become another from superior to mytic keys, for specific containers... is that what you're talking about?

Yeah, its RNG which key it actually spits out when you right click (might just be currency) but the letters correspond to cargo containers on the docks. If you look at the map you'll see the containers are grouped into blocks identified by colored lines and letters, so you'll know where to use them.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

My favourite quest hub in this game is hands down Innsmouth Academy. HJ is just the best.

On the Savage Coast when Beaumont says in reference to Excalibur, "to think this was out there all along while I wasted my time chasing a loving hammer". What hammer is he referring to, Mjolnir?

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 11, 2018

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

On the Savage Coast when Beaumont says in reference to Excalibur, "to think this was out there all along while I wasted my time chasing a loving hammer". What hammer is he referring to, Mjolnir?
Yes.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Is there anything in game to point to this? Mjolnir is the only mythical hammer I know of, which was why I guessed it. Does it have something to do with the Vikings that helped out the Wabanaki?

I haven't played through in a few years so I may have just missed the obvious somewhere.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there anything in game to point to this? Mjolnir is the only mythical hammer I know of, which was why I guessed it. Does it have something to do with the Vikings that helped out the Wabanaki?

I haven't played through in a few years so I may have just missed the obvious somewhere.

Beaumont may or may not be Loki

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Len posted:

Beaumont may or may not be Loki

That's a fuckin' hot take, I love it. I need to dig into my golden little lore honeycombs some more.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

HJ is just the best.

Those are the words of someone who hasn't had The Nassir Experience.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Those are the words of someone who hasn't had The Nassir Experience.

I mean, yeah Nassir is *great*, but HJ, the Scotswoman and Carter riff really well. The writing is just tops.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Is there anything in game to point to this?
There's a mission that tells you Loki was with the vikings that arrived during Darkness War but that he knew they'd be lost in the Sargasso Sea on the way home so he stayed in America. Beaumont is confirmed as being around for hundreds of years by a few sources, he talks about being known for his long cons, mentions that he was exiled due to false prophets but that "their false prophecies perished with the white god" (Baldr, who foresaw ragnarok) and when he (don't read this next bit if you haven't finished Solomon Island :v:) stabs the Gaia Engine with Excalibur he name drops Yggdrasil and poo poo talks Odin.

I mean, yeah Nassir is *great*, but HJ, the Scotswoman and Carter riff really well. The writing is just tops.
Agreed. "You mean this could get worse, before it gets better?" "Oh no, I shouldn't think it would get better." :haw:

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Agreed. "You mean this could get worse, before it gets better?" "Oh no, I shouldn't think it would get better." :haw:

Not in the same conversation, but from the same characters, "Yer' like the world's revenge on sarcasm, do you know that?"

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

What agent can actually pull this off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Space Skeleton posted:

What agent can actually pull this off?
Agents only have two traits (for the bonus) and the third trait slot is for traits provided by gear. So the theory is that to complete those urgent missions you need an agent with great base stats plus some gear that we've not seen yet. I'm dubious about whether it will ever be worth it though, since you probably won't be able to reach 100% and getting a "completed" result will give you precisely gently caress all on a level 50 agent since there's no resource gain and they won't need the xp.

Edit: or do you get the bonuses even on "completed"? I can't remember. Even if you do that's still not worth it in my opinion but it's not nothing. :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 12, 2018