Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Fair point; you won't find empty beaches, but I guess I just meant the parts with relatively fewer people. This dude from the article found a good one:

Thanks for linking the article, too. I don't know dick about corbina, but it sounds like people know what they're doing, though, so totally give that a shot! I might try it, too. It would simplify my surf setup an absolute ton if all I needed for redtails was a 1/4oz egg sinker on a Carolina rig. Seems light to me, but I'm no pro.

To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time at the beaches here. At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat, my step dad owned property on Kauai so I grew up going there every summer. When I moved to San Diego in my 20's and went to the beach for the first time I was like, this water is way too cold and I can't roll around like a beached whale in these waves. This poo poo sucks! Yes, I'm retarded. I know.

Anyway, I think the reason why you can get away with such light tackle is that you're really only fishing in a few feet of water and not making long casts.

I have two other fishing goals this year, in addition to the previously stated surf fishing-
1. Learn to fish the bay. There's so much fishable water there just packed full of little ocean bass that wanna play.
2. Get off the shore. Really, my only option for this is a float tube. Maybe once we finish paying off our stupid taxes and our baby delivery!

Fishing trip planned for Sunday, weeeeee! Trout season is basically over but for one remaining stock and I wanted to try to get on em one last time, but my brother-in-law and friend want to rent a boat and go bass fishing at my backyard lake instead.

edit: latest fish report from the lake

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Seriously cannot wait to see a striper though. I want to catch one so badly, but vicariously through the thread is acceptable too.

Here is my best stripers from bank and kayak, both caught on UL rods. Should be pretty easy to beat if I actually tried this year.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

You guys see this bait? It looks really fun.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jackall_Grinch/descpage-JACGRN.html

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

To be honest, I haven't really spent a lot of time at the beaches here. At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat, my step dad owned property on Kauai so I grew up going there every summer. When I moved to San Diego in my 20's and went to the beach for the first time I was like, this water is way too cold and I can't roll around like a beached whale in these waves. This poo poo sucks! Yes, I'm retarded. I know.

My dude, the water temperature at my usual beach right now is a balmy 50 degrees F. I hear you saying that San Diego beaches were too cold, but I don't understand what that combination of words means. However, I feel like a total pussy compared to the Canadians up ITT, too. I guess it's all relative!

Those bass look sick as hell, though.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My dude, the water temperature at my usual beach right now is a balmy 50 degrees F. I hear you saying that San Diego beaches were too cold, but I don't understand what that combination of words means. However, I feel like a total pussy compared to the Canadians up ITT, too. I guess it's all relative!

Those bass look sick as hell, though.

Oh yeah, make no mistake I am absolutely a wimpy rear end baby in regards to cold water. I can't even get into a pool unless it's like 90+ outside these days.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

However, I feel like a total pussy compared to the Canadians up ITT, too. I guess it's all relative!

This is how we swim 9months of the year:

(just got that today in trade for some fish to a buddy)

Got a free kayak to tool around in. The rod holder is just sitting there for show. It's got a pinhole I need to patch from previous owner. Look forward to destroying some yellow perch this year. I read that it's probably the worst kayak possible, so I'll be eventually upgrading if all goes well.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I am highly skeptical of that thing. The worst part of a hollow body frog is the atrocious hookup ratio.

A 4 to 6 inch soft swimbait rigged weedlessly and fished on top/subsurface is an excellent frog alternative, so much so that I have a combo mostly devoted to it, but I for sure want a big single hook right at the top of the plastic where it’s very easy to pop free.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Yeah I'm like 50/50 on hookup ratio but to be fair they always hit when I'm least expecting it!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

Yeah I'm like 50/50 on hookup ratio but to be fair they always hit when I'm least expecting it!

50/50 is very good for frogs, even most pros say they don’t do much better. It’s It’s like half an issue with the nature of frog dishing, where the bass might end up with a mouthful of plant matter along with your frog, which might block the hook, but also hollow body frogs are designed for extreme weedlessness, not good hook ups.

I’m going to give the new-ish tailspiner frogs a try the season. I had a Sprinkler and really liked the way it moved, but goose stole it from here the first day I started throwing up and I have yet to buy another one, but the Booyah knock off is getting very good reviews and is about five bucks cheaper, so I’m going to try one of them as well.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I wanted to try the sprinker out last year but it was like permanently sold out. Also when I say 50% I'm not implying any sort of skill. I've maybe caught 5 bass on the frog total and missed twice as many bites. The sample size here is very small.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I wanted to try the sprinker out last year but it was like permanently sold out. Also when I say 50% I'm not implying any sort of skill. I've maybe caught 5 bass on the frog total and missed twice as many bites. The sample size here is very small.

Yea, the hype on that thing was crazy. I almost bought another one today but I resisted. I think the concept is a good one, but it seems like the Booyah version might work better.

I am giving 5” swimbaits as a cover/topwater presentation a go this year. I am trying the Gambler Big EZ and that thing is a beast. On a big weighted swimbait hook it weighs in a bit over 1oz and it will cast a mile. It looks pretty nice as a slow rolled swimbait too. I will be fishing the larger Keitechs on the same combo, but they are too fragile to throw into pads.

I feel like I have betrayed my finesse roots, but I am really digging my journey into powerfishing. There is one more heavy rod I have my eye on, but then I think I am done with the heavy stuff for a bit.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Lure chat is appreciated and valuable. I don't have a lot of experience with them, so it's really helpful to hear what works and doesn't work for y'all.

Yesterday evening I saw a guy wrangle a poop trout out of the lake. First one I'd ever seen in the flesh. It fought really hard and it looked like a lot of fun. Maybe one day if I limit on trout early (lol) I'll throw out some dough balls.

Seriously considering contacting this person. I was just looking at the prices for good peddle-powered fishing kayaks and :suicide:. This would be a good happy medium until I have cash and space for a kayak, at least for lakes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Lure chat is appreciated and valuable. I don't have a lot of experience with them, so it's really helpful to hear what works and doesn't work for y'all.

Yesterday evening I saw a guy wrangle a poop trout out of the lake. First one I'd ever seen in the flesh. It fought really hard and it looked like a lot of fun. Maybe one day if I limit on trout early (lol) I'll throw out some dough balls.

Seriously considering contacting this person. I was just looking at the prices for good peddle-powered fishing kayaks and :suicide:. This would be a good happy medium until I have cash and space for a kayak, at least for lakes.

Check out this guy's videos;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXGYBePRuXU&list=PL36A6B7874F6F6567
He fishes from a float tube and you can get a sense for what they are like. I would love one, but I already have some under-used inflatable watercraft I need to get out on first.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I already have some under-used inflatable watercraft I need to get out on first.

Go on ...

I will totally check out those videos, though. There are so many people making fishing videos on YouTube now that it's hard to know the good ones without referrals. Speaking of online fishing personalities, are any of you familiar with PK Yi? He's pretty much King poo poo of gently caress Mountain in my book as far as PNW sport fishermen go.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, the hype on that thing was crazy. I almost bought another one today but I resisted. I think the concept is a good one, but it seems like the Booyah version might work better.

I am giving 5” swimbaits as a cover/topwater presentation a go this year. I am trying the Gambler Big EZ and that thing is a beast. On a big weighted swimbait hook it weighs in a bit over 1oz and it will cast a mile. It looks pretty nice as a slow rolled swimbait too. I will be fishing the larger Keitechs on the same combo, but they are too fragile to throw into pads.

I feel like I have betrayed my finesse roots, but I am really digging my journey into powerfishing. There is one more heavy rod I have my eye on, but then I think I am done with the heavy stuff for a bit.

I like power fishing too, it makes fishing fun even when you're not catching stuff! I've seen good things about those Gamblers. If I'm remembering some fish reports correctly, I think you can fish flukes similar to that method, like topwater or on top of crap.

I would love one of those Hobie kayaks with the mirage drive but yeah dude, those are NOT cheap. They're also heavy, and I drive a Ford Fiesta...

I want to get off the shore though, I've been thinking about a tube for a while now. $80 is cheap! Just need to get you some waders and fins and you're good to go.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Nothing exciting, just a pair of pack-rafts that my bro and I have not used once in the two years I’ve owned them. This is the year however, if we don’t use them I’m going to sell them off next winter.

joem83 posted:

I think you can fish flukes similar to that method, like topwater or on top of crap.

Yeah, flukes are great as they can be finished throughout the entire water column, depending on your level of patience. I use them on lighter line, like 10-12lb floro or mono and with a M power rod, so I never use them in heavier cover. They are a great lure and plenty of dudes fish them on heavier tackle.

I am almost always down for tackle chat if people are interested.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I am almost always down for tackle chat if people are interested.

:justpost:

I'd love to hear about y'all's experience with topwater lures. Fish jump like crazy at my local during dawn and dusk, and that's when I start fantasizing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

On my various fixed-line and fly rods, cork poppers and foam booby flies have been killing it with bass:

One of many largemouth that hit various topwater poppers:

Two little smallmouth among maybe 30 I caught last summer in the faster-moving areas of the Huron on various topwater flies, between these foam boobies, larger elk-hair caddis, and general foam hopper patterns:

I love catching smaller fastwater smallmouth - they're so streamlined and aggressive.

All right, I solemnly swear to put together an effortpost on tenkara and general fixed-line fly fishing for warmwater species (and maybe trout, too, but I've got to drive to get to trout waters).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

:justpost:

I'd love to hear about y'all's experience with topwater lures. Fish jump like crazy at my local during dawn and dusk, and that's when I start fantasizing.

Topwater fishing is just a lot of jump-scares. I am going to give it a bigger go this year by finding a lure or two that will work with whatever rod I happen to have it with me that day. I did buy a combo specifically for poppers/walker (and jerkbaits in winter!).

Its an Alderberan 50 on an Avid 6’2” M/XF. It’s amazing little rod and it’s been pretty remarkably versatile. I have a spinning rod with an almost identical rating and I think the two of them are going to become mainstays of my kayak fishing.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Topwater fishing is just a lot of jump-scares. I am going to give it a bigger go this year by finding a lure or two that will work with whatever rod I happen to have it with me that day. I did buy a combo specifically for poppers/walker (and jerkbaits in winter!).

Its an Alderberan 50 on an Avid 6’2” M/XF. It’s amazing little rod and it’s been pretty remarkably versatile. I have a spinning rod with an almost identical rating and I think the two of them are going to become mainstays of my kayak fishing.

I like the paint job on that popper. Or walking bait. Whatever it technically is.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I like the paint job on that popper. Or walking bait. Whatever it technically is.

It’s both! Its a Megabass PopMax and the color is called “chartreuse viper” and it is an absolutely sick color scheme. I’ve never really desired a sports car, but if I had one that is the exact paint scheme I would want on it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I would put that thing into a tree or something so fast, knowing me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

I would put that thing into a tree or something so fast, knowing me.

It only comes out on the most open of water. I might switch from mono to braid on that combo, so then I will have 20lb of pull to get them back.

In general, MB has some sick fuckin colorschemes.

They are some really wild ones and people collect them and it is a whole thing. While the color schemes are of dubious utility in terms of catching more fish, their lures are mostly all top notch and in some cases, like the Vision 110, are widely considered best in class. Speaking of dubious utility, here is a silly thing;

Reel is a Daiwa sv103h with an aftermarket carbon fiber handle and some dress-up parts. The spool is from a Zillion SV TW and it is far far less braked then the stock spool. The rod is a Megabass Hyuga 72H. It's an odd rod, rated from 1/2oz to 4oz lures and with a very Moderate action. While I think it does not fish well past say 2.5oz, it is a very powerful rod but the soft action makes it really easy to cast and it really keeps bass pinned. I am somewhat wary of it's power to set big jighook swimbaits, but we shall see! I am also going to try and use it for frogs, which seems crazy, but people seem to say it's great for it.

The lure is a Spro BBZ Rat. It is a blast to fish and I have really high hopes for it!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

It only comes out on the most open of water. I might switch from mono to braid on that combo, so then I will have 20lb of pull to get them back.

In general, MB has some sick fuckin colorschemes.

They are some really wild ones and people collect them and it is a whole thing. While the color schemes are of dubious utility in terms of catching more fish, their lures are mostly all top notch and in some cases, like the Vision 110, are widely considered best in class. Speaking of dubious utility, here is a silly thing;

Reel is a Daiwa sv103h with an aftermarket carbon fiber handle and some dress-up parts. The spool is from a Zillion SV TW and it is far far less braked then the stock spool. The rod is a Megabass Hyuga 72H. It's an odd rod, rated from 1/2oz to 4oz lures and with a very Moderate action. While I think it does not fish well past say 2.5oz, it is a very powerful rod but the soft action makes it really easy to cast and it really keeps bass pinned. I am somewhat wary of it's power to set big jighook swimbaits, but we shall see! I am also going to try and use it for frogs, which seems crazy, but people seem to say it's great for it.

The lure is a Spro BBZ Rat. It is a blast to fish and I have really high hopes for it!

I know that I can't shut the gently caress up about surf fishing, but your mouse tosser would be an awful lot of fun to catch a redtail on. I get such a kick out of mouse lures in general, though. It's still weird to me that a fish would eat a mouse, but that's bass for you.

So the float tube that I posted earlier got me trolling through craigslist for a steelhead/perch rod. I found a guy selling a bunch of rods, everything from entry-level Shimano stuff to G Loomis things that bongwizzard could probably school us about. Anyway, dude has a Daiwa rod & reel that is exactly what I want for a good price. He mentions at the bottom of the ad that he has other listings posted. Since he seemed to have good gear, I poked around to see what the other items were.

Some choice offerings:

Costume Sword - Great for Cosplay Acting Halloween - $40
Large White Theatrical Screens-----------White Screens - $150
20+ Lot of Womens Underwear XL - $20
30+ Pairs of Women's underwear XL Lace - $30
Metal Sex Swing---------- - $250

:stonklol:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

...The rod is a Megabass Hyuga 72H. It's an odd rod, rated from 1/2oz to 4oz lures and with a very Moderate action. While I think it does not fish well past say 2.5oz, it is a very powerful rod but the soft action makes it really easy to cast and it really keeps bass pinned. I am somewhat wary of it's power to set big jighook swimbaits, but we shall see! I am also going to try and use it for frogs, which seems crazy, but people seem to say it's great for it.

That huge range is pretty cool, my heavy is rated for 1/2 to 1 oz, and it makes it feel like I have limited options with it. I typically just use it for frogs or heavy jigs. I'm interested in those moderate action rods, I've heard a few people talk about how that's kind of a shift that's happening right now in the rod market and that there are lots of benefits to it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

joem83 posted:

That huge range is pretty cool, my heavy is rated for 1/2 to 1 oz, and it makes it feel like I have limited options with it. I typically just use it for frogs or heavy jigs. I'm interested in those moderate action rods, I've heard a few people talk about how that's kind of a shift that's happening right now in the rod market and that there are lots of benefits to it.

Mod and Mod/Fast non-crankbait rods are very much more a JDM thing at this point and hybrid graphite builds are far more common over there. The Hyuga 72H is a good stepping stone into them as it is cheap for a MB rod and it’s pretty versatile. For USDM stuff, some of the Phenix rods are more ModFast then Fast, although they are not labled as such. I am going both ways now, getting more Mod and Mod/Fast rods and more XFast ones. XFast is a weird rating as it can mean some pretty different stuff from line to line.

Sadly, the more I get into tackle-dorkdom, the more it is becomes apparent that you need to read through dozens of forum posts to find out how a given rod really fishes as so so many of them have near identical specs, but fish super differently.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I think the new Sixth Sense rods are more moderate, I saw some dude talkin' about them on YouTube the other day. I'm trying to remember the other rod brand I saw, it might actually have been Tactical Bassin' talking about a MB rod.

And speaking of YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvjbz8hG9s

:aaa:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I didnt even know Six Sense made rods, so much tackle In the world and so little time , money, and storage space.

As for the video, I am so glad I never have to worry about being eaten by a fish.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
My first (I think) goon meet! I'm meeting up with A Pack of Kobolds tomorrow morning to fish a lake near my new apartment. Wish us luck, or call in search & rescue this time tomorrow.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

beefnoodle posted:

My first (I think) goon meet! I'm meeting up with A Pack of Kobolds tomorrow morning to fish a lake near my new apartment. Wish us luck, or call in search & rescue this time tomorrow.

I hope that we will have some fish pics for y'all! Sockington's making us all look bad lately. I want a table full of fish to clean!

Also, I bought a pair of brand new Daiwa Wilderness trolling rods from the sex swing man for a song. This has nothing to do with fishing tomorrow, but yay for great deals from weird craigslist people. Tomorrow I should be picking up the float tube that I posted, too! :peanut:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

That's awesome, best of luck to you guys on your angoonling adventure! One of you better wear a fedora or sport a neckbeard, in true goon fashion.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

We got rained out, but hopefully tomorrow is more cooperative. Also I guess I own a float tube now, and I'm hella excited to get off the lake banks this summer!

Also goons should fish together. Anybody reading this thread on these dead gay forums in 2018 is probably cool to fish with, imo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Bro fish are already wet, they don’t give a gently caress about rain.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Bro fish are already wet, they don’t give a gently caress about rain.

I was out for four hours without a bite and was too ashamed of my skunk to admit it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Wear your stripe with pride, fishbro. I'm hitting the lake tomorrow, I will without a doubt catch nothing but sticks and grass, and love every minute of it.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Last time I went fishing I caught the worlds tiniest snook on my first cast and didn’t get a nibble for the rest of the trip.

It’s all good.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

First swimbait bass of the year, hit a Gantrel Jr as it passed some pads. The park was super busy and I got swarmed with kids, who were all very impressed.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Still alive and in possession of all my organs after a fishing meetup with A Pack of Kobolds. He is cool and fun and not at all the goon we all are afraid to meet in real life.

Also, we're calling today's trip a scouting trip, so we don't feel bad about being skunked.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

beefnoodle posted:

Jerk. I tried to meet up with you years ago when I first moved to Kitsap.

At least Kolbolds can vouch for me not being a smelly weirdo.

I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Hmm....walk across the street or drive/ferry/drive? What to do, what to do....