Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
they also added a bit of stuff too

I liked this sequence of mirror shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

NikkolasKing posted:

Are you playing Golden? Make sure to complete Marie's S Link by then if you want the true ending.

Also if you aren't playing P4G, you just missed the best boss theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjuormKijYw

And if you are playing P4G, enjoy hearing it again without having to worry about he rear end in a top hat boss. I got wiped first time around because he did Stagnant Air immediately followed by something that insta KO'ed my party.

I am playing Golden yes, and this music was an awesome surprise because I was disappointed the regular battle music hadn't been 8-Bit-ified. That fight in general was really cool, although drat it took forever. I feel like I may be a bit over-leveled (before tackling the next dungeon I do a run through the previous one for sidequest cleanup and to challenge the extra boss) since nothing in the game has felt too challenging yet, though I'm also playing on Normal.

And thanks for the heads up re: Marie's S-Link. I think I have her at like 5 or 6 so I should be okay, I've been prioritizing party members (and Dojima/Nanako because, well, why the hell wouldn't you) but I'll focus on her a bit for now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You don't need to focus her yet, (and I'm pretty sure she's story gated at certain points), just have her done before the end of December.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Man, Morgana truly got annoying as hell during the whole September-October sequence.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah that whole morgana/ryuji situation made me want to throw the PlayStation out of the window

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I still wish the payoff for Morgana was worth it. Finding out he was just an entity from the Velvet room was just too close to Teddy realizing he was a shadow then growing an ego to become real. It was almost as disappointing in them hyping up a traitor and it just being Akechi the most obvious narc in history.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

You don't need to focus her yet, (and I'm pretty sure she's story gated at certain points), just have her done before the end of December.

I think she becomes available every day in December, too, so even if you still have her at Rank 1 just bulldoze the link for about two weeks.

The two things that would make it annoying for me to replay P4G are that the opening is so slow (I have a a save file around the start of Yukiko's dungeon just so I can skip the first few hours), and that optimally you can't do the December dungeon til the deadline is almost over.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

If anyone wanted to check out the anime adaptation, the first episode's free on Crunchyroll. The music is straight off the game's OST so at least that remains excellent.

While it looks really good, and there 's a lot of really neat details (some of the background characters in Yongyen-Jaya I think are the same as NPCs you talk to in the game), it feels really rushed in terms of pacing. I guess that's to be expected, though, when you have to compact what was around an hour-and-a-half of gameplay and plot development into a half-an-hour episode.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 10, 2018

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

How many times does Morgana make the MC go to bed in the first episode? If it's not more than 5 I'm gonna be mad AF.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm gonna watch the anime eventually but I need more distance from my ~*~perfect playthrough~*~ before I'll be able to really enjoy it. I thought the Persona 4 anime was pretty entertaining, so as long as this is along those lines I'll probably enjoy it.

How do they portray fighting with personas? Do the human characters just stand back and let their personas do the fighting, or do they fight alongside them? I'm always interested in the different portrayals that adaptations go for.

Radish posted:

I still wish the payoff for Morgana was worth it. Finding out he was just an entity from the Velvet room was just too close to Teddy realizing he was a shadow then growing an ego to become real. It was almost as disappointing in them hyping up a traitor and it just being Akechi the most obvious narc in history.

At least in the case of that second spoiler, the "twist" isn't that Akechi is the traitor--of course he is--but that the Phantom Thieves knew and manipulated him. I thought it worked well, given that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The anime only got to Ren awakening to his persona. It got to the part he rips off the mask and Arsene appears before going to the credits.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

At least in the case of that second spoiler, the "twist" isn't that Akechi is the traitor--of course he is--but that the Phantom Thieves knew and manipulated him. I thought it worked well, given that.

Yeah that's true. It was great that the Phantom Thieves were the ones manipulating him all along even if the way they did it was hilariously over complicated.

I do wish they would get over the whole silent protagonist thing though since it's pretty clear at this point we are playing a character with a defined personality and one that was doing stuff we weren't even away of until the reveal. At this point it feels like it's just out of tradition more than anything (like Game Over when the main character dies in battle which even the parent of this series SMT has given up and wasn't a thing in Persona 1 or 2).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 10, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dehry posted:

The anime only got to Ren awakening to his persona. It got to the part he rips off the mask and Arsene appears before going to the credits.
Morgana pops up briefly and says something after the credits though. I'm assuming he tells you to go to bed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radish posted:

Yeah that's true. It was great that the Phantom Thieves were the ones manipulating him all along even if the way they did it was hilariously over complicated.

I do wish they would get over the whole silent protagonist thing though since it's pretty clear at this point we are playing a character with a defined personality and one that was doing stuff we weren't even away of until the reveal. At this point it feels like it's just out of tradition more than anything (like Game Over when the main character dies in battle which even the parent of this series SMT has given up and wasn't a thing in Persona 1 or 2).

Yeah, it's definitely a tradition thing. I'm mostly okay with it still, if only because I enjoy silent protagonists who still manage to have a personality. One example I can think of is Link in Breath of the Wild, who has a surprising amount of personality that comes through in his dialog options and in the things people say about him. The Ryus in Breath of Fire 3 and 4 are silent but have some personality, too. Also Mario in any Mario RPG game, though I guess his fantastic pantomiming in Super Mario RPG could be seen as its own form of dialog.

I also really like Mother 3's approach, though I've seen some people take issue with it. In Mother 3, whoever the current "player character" is never speaks, but if player control switches to someone else, that character suddenly has a voice. Early on, you play as Flint, Lucas and Claus's dad, and during that time Lucas can talk but Flint doesn't. There are a couple chapters where you control Kumatora and Duster, who are future party members, and they don't speak during their chapters. Once you take control of Lucas, Lucas stops talking but everyone else who was silent before has dialog. I liked it because it drove home that whoever is you is a silent protagonist and the only reason is because you're supposed to identify with them and fill in their voice with yours.

I wouldn't really object to a voiced protagonist in a future Persona game or anything, but I think it's cool if that doesn't happen, too.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Gone back to play P4G again. It's official. I prefer it in terms of story and characters to 5 (although gameplay in 5 was better).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Alright, just maxed Temperance and Death and I'm more than halfway through Star (I need one more Knowledge level), Moon and Sun. Any other very important confidants to max before NG+? I just finished Okumura's palace so I dunno if I'll even have enough time for those three.

Also I kind of liked Yusuke but the hoodie at the beach thing totally made him the best male party member so far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Azran posted:

Alright, just maxed Temperance and Death and I'm more than halfway through Star (I need one more Knowledge level), Moon and Sun. Any other very important confidants to max before NG+? I just finished Okumura's palace so I dunno if I'll even have enough time for those three.

Also I kind of liked Yusuke but the hoodie at the beach thing totally made him the best male party member so far.

Fortune is super useful for trying to max confidants but you really only need to get her to 7 for the most useful ability

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Fortune is extremely helpful. I somehow maxed all the confidants on my first playthrough and Fortune is the whole reason I managed to pull it off.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pesmerga posted:

Gone back to play P4G again. It's official. I prefer it in terms of story and characters to 5 (although gameplay in 5 was better).

I think P4 is a better story overall, but subsequent playthroughs make the mystery-centric elements really frustrating. Like, even in my first playthrough the copycat killer thing was super obvious, but you still have to sit through ten hours of conversations where everyone says "well gee I guess this teenage kid who killed someone with a baseball bat is definitely the supernatural mastermind!" or the time where your team genuinely believes a paparazzi trying to take pictures of Rise is a supernatural serial murderer for ten minutes.

P4 also has a very very bad problem with intentionally trying to misdirect you but then never resolving either the red herring or clarifying what the truth actually is. Like, throughout the entire game it's accepted that each person's shadow is an exaggerated version of each person's internal feelings, but then in the Namatame confrontation scene, suddenly his shadow is evil. Then after you find out the team says "oh weird that his shadow was evil, maybe instead of this well-established theory we have maybe shadows are actually what everyone else thinks of a person" which doesn't make any sense and is inconsistent with all the other past experiences we've had and feels like a straight-up excuse in terms of them justifying trying to bait you into the bad ending.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think P4 is a better story overall, but subsequent playthroughs make the mystery-centric elements really frustrating. Like, even in my first playthrough the copycat killer thing was super obvious, but you still have to sit through ten hours of conversations where everyone says "well gee I guess this teenage kid who killed someone with a baseball bat is definitely the supernatural mastermind!" or the time where your team genuinely believes a paparazzi trying to take pictures of Rise is a supernatural serial murderer for ten minutes.

P4 also has a very very bad problem with intentionally trying to misdirect you but then never resolving either the red herring or clarifying what the truth actually is. Like, throughout the entire game it's accepted that each person's shadow is an exaggerated version of each person's internal feelings, but then in the Namatame confrontation scene, suddenly his shadow is evil. Then after you find out the team says "oh weird that his shadow was evil, maybe instead of this well-established theory we have maybe shadows are actually what everyone else thinks of a person" which doesn't make any sense and is inconsistent with all the other past experiences we've had and feels like a straight-up excuse in terms of them justifying trying to bait you into the bad ending.

The Namatame thing is because the Midnight Channel is actually a reflection of both the desire to share one's inner thoughts as well as the desire to see them exposed by others. Those thoughts that are exposed need not necessarily be the legitimate thoughts of the user, though; see Rise's appearance on the Midnight Channel, which she notes has exaggerated proportions, which turns out to be because that's how the viewers want to see her. Nanako's appearance on the Midnight Channel as well is hazy and fuzzy because no one talking about her knows what she looks like. The Investigation Team, when confronting Namatame, are thoroughly convinced of his guilt, so the Midnight Channel shows them that. It makes sense when you think about it and is actually consistent with the rest of the game, but you're correct that it's not explained terribly well; I'm pretty sure the only source for most of these is a few oblique lines from Izanami.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arist posted:

The Namatame thing is because the Midnight Channel is actually a reflection of both the desire to share one's inner thoughts as well as the desire to see them exposed by others. Those thoughts that are exposed need not necessarily be the legitimate thoughts of the user, though; see Rise's appearance on the Midnight Channel, which she notes has exaggerated proportions, which turns out to be because that's how the viewers want to see her. Nanako's appearance on the Midnight Channel as well is hazy and fuzzy because no one talking about her knows what she looks like. The Investigation Team, when confronting Namatame, are thoroughly convinced of his guilt, so the Midnight Channel shows them that. It makes sense when you think about it and is actually consistent with the rest of the game, but you're correct that it's not explained terribly well; I'm pretty sure the only source for most of these is a few oblique lines from Izanami.

I don't even think that explanation necessarily holds up because everyone sees exactly the same thing on the Midnight channel, even people who don't have an insight into what the innermost problems might be of the victim in the TV. Like, it would make sense for the investigation team to maybe have an idea about why Kanji's shadow is what it is, but why would everyone else in the school also see it that way when they have no idea what's going on behind the scenes? That explanation would work if the Investigation team was the only ones watching, or if everyone's Midnight Channel was slightly different, but I just don't think the execution is consistent with the logic behind it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I don't even think that explanation necessarily holds up because everyone sees exactly the same thing on the Midnight channel, even people who don't have an insight into what the innermost problems might be of the victim in the TV. Like, it would make sense for the investigation team to maybe have an idea about why Kanji's shadow is what it is, but why would everyone else in the school also see it that way when they have no idea what's going on behind the scenes? That explanation would work if the Investigation team was the only ones watching, or if everyone's Midnight Channel was slightly different, but I just don't think the execution is consistent with the logic behind it.

I think the main thing is that the Midnight Channel represents the collective unconscious. When an individual viewer watches it, it might not reflect that individual person's desires or expectations--instead, it reflects a collective desire or expectation.

For example, in Kanji's case, he showed up on the Midnight Channel that first night because he was in the news a lot, so people were thinking about him. Meanwhile, he had insecurities about his "manliness" and whether his love of "feminine" things meant he was gay or something, so that's what the Midnight Channel shows. The subject has a deep secret, insecurity, or fear of how other people see them, and when the collective unconsciousness desires to see them exposed, that's what the Midnight Channel shows.

As for the other case that's under spoilers: by the time Namatame shows up on the Midnight Channel, not only does everyone think he's evil--so does he. He shows up on the Midnight Channel after he finds out that he's been endangering people by throwing them into the TV world (and, at this point, believing that he'd killed an innocent child in the process). Remember that, before then, it was Nanako who showed up, not Namatame. The Shadow that the Investigation Team fights is born from the clash between Namatame's fear--suddenly he knows that this TV world is full of monsters and not the safe haven he thought--combined with his savior complex. After that, the Shadow that appears on the TV is made up of the collective hatred of Namatame combined with Namatame's guilt and self-loathing. It confirms everyone's hatred of him as the "serial killer." It confirms the Investigation Team's belief that he's a murderer who killed Nanako. And it confirms Namatame's horror at his own actions and self-loathing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 10, 2018

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a random P5 question, how do I get Mishima to rank 7? I'm pretty sure I've done all the requests he has sent me but he hasn't messaged me to hang out again. It's almost time for the class trip so I am screwed?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Dodoman posted:

I've got a random P5 question, how do I get Mishima to rank 7? I'm pretty sure I've done all the requests he has sent me but he hasn't messaged me to hang out again. It's almost time for the class trip so I am screwed?

You have to go looking for him, he hangs out in shady areas at night. Look for him in the red light district or Akihabara.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think P3 had the best theme, P4 had the best group dynamic, and P5 had the best gameplay.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

HIJK posted:

You have to go looking for him, he hangs out in shady areas at night. Look for him in the red light district or Akihabara.

You know, when you describe it like that, it suddenly makes me wonder why he's hanging out in those places in the first place (unless the game gave a reason and I just forgot.)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Because he's a Cool Guy, hanging at all the Hip Places.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

You know, when you describe it like that, it suddenly makes me wonder why he's hanging out in those places in the first place (unless the game gave a reason and I just forgot.)

The game doesn't give a reason to my recollection. But it seems to me that Mishima wants to think he's a Hard Tough Guy who hangs out in Hard Tough Guy places but he also forgets to change out of his school uniform which bars him from all adult establishments. He wants to look cool but won't put the effort in which...is his entire character really.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Beat the 7th palace. Reactions as they came:

:kamina::eyepop::qq::allears:

Now let's do some dungeon diving, babyyyyyyyyy

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Beat the 6th palace and all of the stuff that happens right after it. Still loving the game and especially the music, the palace's theme was great and I enjoyed the twists and turns the story just went through.

The exposition dump by the bad guys Shido and Akechi was laughable though and I can't believe how long they let that scene go on for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radioactive Toy posted:

The exposition dump by the bad guys Shido and Akechi was laughable though and I can't believe how long they let that scene go on for.

Yeah that's by far the worst story scene in the game IMO.

The best part is that the exposition dump is completely unnecessary because all the important parts will come up again in future scenes in a much more natural way. They could've cut that scene completely without the player losing anything story-wise. Would've saved a bit of money on voice acting in the process, bonus :v:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
That scene really drives home what a boring character Akechi is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Akechi has two things going for him: his outfit in dungeons and his little victory shimmy after an all out attack.

That's it.:colbert:

EDIT: also, despite playing through the entire game let me just say that Ryuji STILL cracks me up when I hear "GET WRECKED" in the middle of battle.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Yeah big fan of Akechi's all out attack dance.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm up to the 7th palace. Do I have to perform all max confidant fusions before the end if I want to have them available for ng+ without maxing confidants again?

So far the 4th palace must have been my favorite in terms of story and overall feel. The Days When My Mother Was There is really sweet.

I also unlocked the dick chariot and oh god it even has testicles. :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Azran posted:

I'm up to the 7th palace. Do I have to perform all max confidant fusions before the end if I want to have them available for ng+ without maxing confidants again?

So far the 4th palace must have been my favorite in terms of story and overall feel. The Days When My Mother Was There is really sweet.

I also unlocked the dick chariot and oh god it even has testicles. :allears:

If I understand the question correctly, yes you need the persona in the compendium for NG+; otherwise you have to unlock fusion privileges again.
Although with reasonably leveled social stats you'll max every confidante with months to spare in NG+.

E: max Wheel of Fortune and/or Temperance for NG+, you carry over the time saving abilities.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

I never even thought about that, thanks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Omobono posted:

If I understand the question correctly, yes you need the persona in the compendium for NG+; otherwise you have to unlock fusion privileges again.
Although with reasonably leveled social stats you'll max every confidante with months to spare in NG+.

E: max Wheel of Fortune and/or Temperance for NG+, you carry over the time saving abilities.

Yup, I don't know how much more time I'll have for social links after this palace (I'll have 18 days to spare taking into account the calling card, I think) but I've already maxed a ton of the important ones (Sun, Star, Temperance, Fortune, Strength, Death and Moon) plus a few teammates (Hermit, Chariot and Priestess) I MAY be able to finish Empress. So yes, I'll try and see if I can fuse the unlocked personas before NG+. A few of them are going to be painfully expensive :(

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCiTsRX-l60

And for good measure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-FcyZc3ClY