Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kirbysuperstar posted:

Otakucoin, I think. Some dipshit from ANN also went in on it.
what the gently caress was Otakoin taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

what the gently caress was Otakoin taken

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ibram Gaunt posted:

that's what kizuna ai did

Wait, what?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I dunno where else to put this, but Cavia's Bullet Witch is being brought to Steam via XSeed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

I dunno where else to put this, but Cavia's Bullet Witch is being brought to Steam via XSeed

...Is someone holding their families hostage, or did they lose a bet?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Wait, what?

They were shilling for Otaku coin. Which isn't surprising since I mean, shilling for corporate stuff is the entire point of that channel. But it was still funny to see.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

quote:

Otakucoin

lol

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Tae posted:

I love Cavia's jank but Bullet Witch is going to surprise the dozen people who buy it in a bad way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm only like an hour into Lydie & Suelle but it is very cute.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is the pc version of L&S the best version

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Switch is portable and it's on switch if that matters to you

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i was gonna get the switch for the upcoming fire emblem game this year anyway and decided to buy it for L&S

deffo don't have any regrets about it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

is the pc version of L&S the best version

It has been identical to the PS4 version from what I've played so far. It hasn't crashed even while using a trainer and I'm up to chapter 5.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm only like an hour into Lydie & Suelle but it is very cute.
it just keeps being cute, this is my first Atelier but I'm really enjoying how everyone is real nice to everyone and Anime Embarrassed About Things and all that, it's just cozy :kimchi:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

I love Cavia's jank but Bullet Witch is going to surprise the dozen people who buy it in a bad way.

I played it a bit many years ago and don't recall much beyond it just being early modern era console third person shooter.

What I'm saying is Platinum should buy the IP and make it play like Vanquish.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My only real complaints about L&S are the unexplained ending requirements and the fact that equipment doesn't use the same crafting system as every other item. It's a very good game imo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why is equipment done through a separate NPC, anyway? It's kind of weird. Are other Atelier games like that, because I was chalking it up to being a legacy system that hadn't become fully vestigial to the point of getting removed yet.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

chumbler posted:

I played it a bit many years ago and don't recall much beyond it just being early modern era console third person shooter.

What I'm saying is Platinum should buy the IP and make it play like Vanquish.

There's a late game fight where if you didn't buy the right upgrades with your limited resources you literally can not get the shot off in time. Platinum Bullet Witch would be totally worth it though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The other Atelier games I've played did them as normal items, with a more fleshed out equipment treadmill, so you're constantly crafting up something better to wear.

My best guess as to why it's weird and separate this time is because of the trait/effect split. They wanted things like "ATK up L" to be an effect so you get it by mastering the crafting system, rather than by getting lucky gathering. But the normal crafting system doesn't have effects inherit because that wouldn't make sense for 99% of crafts. So they invent this new secondary crafting system which does inherit certain effects on top of the normal trait inheritance, to make it function.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why is equipment done through a separate NPC, anyway? It's kind of weird. Are other Atelier games like that, because I was chalking it up to being a legacy system that hadn't become fully vestigial to the point of getting removed yet.

In early games you just bought weapons from a store. They started adding the ability to craft and customize them over time, since crafting is so important, but it's almost always separated from the regular alchemy in some way.

The weird ingot and core system in L&S is new though and is pretty janky, yeah. In Mana Khemia you just put the ingredients in the forge and got a weapon with whatever quality and traits the ingredients had. So in a sense they've actually made it more different this time.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 11, 2018

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dehry posted:

It has been identical to the PS4 version from what I've played so far. It hasn't crashed even while using a trainer and I'm up to chapter 5.
I had all the animations get really slow once for no apparent reason.

This included menu transitions, so I backed out of the painting and wnet to the atlier to save and restart the game and that fixed it. :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Didn't E&L have equipment fully integrated into the normal crafting system? I might just be misremembering.

I think the Iris games did too but the Iris games had a very barebones crafting system compared to what came later.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Logy was the guy making weapons in E&L so weapon crafting was in the same room with the same interface.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Didn't E&L have equipment fully integrated into the normal crafting system? I might just be misremembering.

I think the Iris games did too but the Iris games had a very barebones crafting system compared to what came later.

Logy does indeed make weapons with synthesis, but even then it's impossible to do until he actually gets his forge put in. And I think that's the only game where it is done in exactly the same way as the regular crafting.

E: No, the Iris games have a bunch of weird weapon upgrade mechanics instead of synthesis.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think Firis had just standard synthesis weapons too. Maybe Sophie? I don't know, Sophie bored me to tears so I never got anywhere with it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Firis and Sophie are cool characters in L&S and it saddens me that their games of origin suck

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

it's nice that they and the other returning characters can be the supportive, reliable adults in the twins' lives for the majority of the game that roger is anything but

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think Firis had just standard synthesis weapons too. Maybe Sophie? I don't know, Sophie bored me to tears so I never got anywhere with it.

How could you forget Blacksmith Logy

It was fairly similar, except instead of cores you just enhanced it with other items. The best way to make an ultimate weapon was to just insert weapons into eachother forever.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2018

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Quoting this from the Steam thread because I will never tire of this cascade of failures.

Garfu posted:

Hell yeah!!

MOTHERFUCKER

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

corn in the bible posted:

The best way to make an ultimate weapon was to just insert weapons into eachother forever.
this is what they should have kept because that's :black101: as gently caress

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Logy does indeed make weapons with synthesis, but even then it's impossible to do until he actually gets his forge put in. And I think that's the only game where it is done in exactly the same way as the regular crafting.

E: No, the Iris games have a bunch of weird weapon upgrade mechanics instead of synthesis.

Mana Khemia 2 has you crafting weapons in the exact same way as any other item too. Although there's the weird thing where, since weapons and accessories stack, if you craft a weapon, every other identical weapon takes on its traits.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

HGH posted:

Quoting this from the Steam thread because I will never tire of this cascade of failures.

I wonder when NISA's uncanny ability to screw something up in new and exciting ways will turn from funny to sad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Playing L&S has made me really want to replay E&L. I hope Gust's imminent death makes them consider doing more low-effort PC ports so I don't have to dig out my PS3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Playing L&S has made me really want to replay E&L. I hope Gust's imminent death makes them consider doing more low-effort PC ports so I don't have to dig out my PS3

I'd be very happy to have those games on PC or, failing that, on a modern console. Hell, I just want them somewhere I can share images from :(

Of course, the comedy option would be them only porting Rorona... and it's the original one, not the remake.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cheetah7071 posted:

low-effort Switch ports when

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How could you forget Blacksmith Logy

It was fairly similar, except instead of cores you just enhanced it with other items. The best way to make an ultimate weapon was to just insert weapons into eachother forever.
Ah, the Two Worlds 1 approach.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gust died four years ago. It's a Koei Tecmo brand now.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

what's the functional difference between gust becoming a subsidiary of koei in 2011 and being the "gust nagano development group" from 2014 til now

v ok yeah that's... pretty substantial :stare:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 12, 2018

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The KT management can fire the whole group, get a Pixiv artist to draw an alchemist, drop her in the Warriors engine with the help from that team, and call it A20.

Of course I'm not sure why they would do that having the #5 game in the Dengeki Playstation 2017 awards.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

I wonder when NISA's uncanny ability to screw something up in new and exciting ways will turn from funny to sad

Tbh I kinda thought it hit that point when they poached Ys from XSeed since, you know, Hatsuu’s response and all. :(