Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Goddamn this is hot af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Paingod556 posted:

PTN has a few

Oh poo poo, it still works (in Firefox anyway)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NrxjnEWIuk

Ok, Maybe I shouldn't stick my dick into this particular gloryhole, but why all the "SQUAWK"ing?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

When PGI released the Mechwarrior online, Goons formed the Word of Lowtax. Battletech as a setting has no intelligent aliens. Except a one off novel that included four legged birds on a planet that was written to be unreachable again for any other ships, please dont try and find it. Goons took to roleplaying as noble bird warriors from this planet and squawking to start a battle, celebrate kills, and especially in order to drive grognards roleplaying as noble clanners mad.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

winterwerefox posted:

When PGI released the Mechwarrior online, Goons formed the Word of Lowtax. Battletech as a setting has no intelligent aliens. Except a one off novel that included four legged birds on a planet that was written to be unreachable again for any other ships, please dont try and find it. Goons took to roleplaying as noble bird warriors from this planet and squawking to start a battle, celebrate kills, and especially in order to drive grognards roleplaying as noble clanners mad.

the warriors' ultimate challenge

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

It goes a touch deeper, since one of the heads of FASA/Catalyst/whoever said that all the official Battletech(tm) books were canon. Turns out Far Country was one of them, which involved sapient bird aliens. So of course the community declared 'mah headcanon' and said it was dumb and to be ignored. So much as mentioning the book or the Tetetae will result in what we know call 'reeee'.

So WoL would mention it constantly. Squawk became our warcry, grognards demanded it to be banned, and much fun was had. Like this jovial fellow right here- https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/95801-spamming-squak/

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Was it PTN canon or actually in the book that it was left ambiguous as to whether the bird aliens actually existed or if it was part of a hallucination induced by weird poo gas on the planet?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Ok, Maybe I shouldn't stick my dick into this particular gloryhole, but why all the "SQUAWK"ing?

It was the catchphrase of the Word of Lowtax, our original MWO merc company. We played as the (totally canon) Tetatae from Far Country. People loved us.

We shitposted so hard, they made a subforum called Kaetoa named after us, and used it as a bad thread dump. It was pretty good.

There was fan art -

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
He doesn't know the setting and is taking a while to understand some stuff, but ChristopherOdd has his early play with the game up on his youtube. Remember J and L skip forward and back 10 seconds. Not so much a recommendation as a 'It's there' ?

Link

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

:vince:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So infuriating, and so, so wrong. An HBS person really needed to step in and tell him that he was wrong about so many assumptions he, or commenters on his stream, made. Such as your drop weight affecting the difficulty of the mission. So absurdly hard to watch.

Technically that is right, isn’t it?

If you strip armor and weapons from your mechs to reduce your drop weight, it almost certainly does affect how difficult fights are. :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just scheduled myself a day off to enjoy HBS:BT the day after it comes out. Fuckit.

Re: Squawking...MWO Closed Beta was a magical place and even in the beginning there were crazy battletech fanboys doing crazy poo poo. Some MWO grogs made websites for their group and wrote bylaws and poo poo, plus used milspeak and did other stupid stuff....we made fun of them incessantly.

MWO grog sites that I still have bookmarked for whatever reason: http://www.skye-rangers.net/bylaws http://dmh.enjin.com/home

Someone also made a Word of Lowtax Promotion chart to "leak":

Always remember, Mecha Shiva is not a crime:

And last but not least, we convinced over 1000 pubs in closed beta different reasons to press alt+f4, then someone made a memorial video about it: https://player.vimeo.com/video/52827979

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tylana posted:

He doesn't know the setting and is taking a while to understand some stuff, but ChristopherOdd has his early play with the game up on his youtube. Remember J and L skip forward and back 10 seconds. Not so much a recommendation as a 'It's there' ?

Link

Don't worry guys, I'll watch this for us.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
So much to do in Cartmanlaaaand, but you can't come.
Especially you, Stan and Kyle.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't worry guys, I'll watch this for us.

Alright, so far he's completely clueless about the game and the universe. Even more so that Cohh. But he's not hard to listen to otherwise.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Alright, so far he's completely clueless about the game and the universe. Even more so that Cohh. But he's not hard to listen to otherwise.
Not watching this gameplay yet (limiting my exposure to campaign spoilers), but I've watched Odd play XCOM in past and he was pretty good, so I imagine he should get better in short order.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I tried playing some MWO for the first time since the beta and Holy poo poo its awful. Shonky graphics, poor controls and milspeak grogs complaining about people whilst both teams just form murder blobs aplhaing each other as hard as they can.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Aramoro posted:

I tried playing some MWO for the first time since the beta and Holy poo poo its awful. Shonky graphics, poor controls and milspeak grogs complaining about people whilst both teams just form murder blobs aplhaing each other as hard as they can.

Yes but you can have a disco ball in your cockpit. Just saying.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I've been watching ChristopherOdd play Subnautica and he seems pretty likeable. Even if he has his moments where you want to reach out and shake him a little.

"Stop whining about not knowing how to navigate when you keep turning your goddamned beacons off."
"There's a datapad on that table you passed like four times already, YOU WERE LOOKING RIGHT AT IT."

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 11, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Malek Deneith posted:

Not watching this gameplay yet (limiting my exposure to campaign spoilers), but I've watched Odd play XCOM in past and he was pretty good, so I imagine he should get better in short order.

This is how I came across Odd as well and I like his LP style. Anyway, I broke down and started watching streams last night. I'm so drat hyped for this game

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

And last but not least, we convinced over 1000 pubs in closed beta different reasons to press alt+f4, then someone made a memorial video about it: https://player.vimeo.com/video/52827979

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you found it, I've been looking forever for a video of this. I think when it was all said and done, or at least until :pgi: made it a bannable offense, we tricked over 3000 different players into alt-f4ing.

This is my favorite though, it encompasses everything bad about the Battletech community in a nutshell.
Blackburn Raiders vs Word of Lowtax
My two favorite bits is them complaining how we brought nothing assault but mechs, even though half the lance is made up of light mechs (the Cicada is a light mech at heart) and the other half is made up of a medium, two heavies, and one assault mech. My second is what they said at the end. :v:

The BBR in question is was made up of a super strict group of people who must use :airquote: military :airquote: lingo, must maintain a certain KDR, respect command structure at all times, and must adhere to honor above everything else. We spent every opportunity annoying them about how uptight they were, even going as far as parodying their MWO wiki entry; BBR wiki Goon wiki. The eventually they challenge us to a duel because we hurt their e-honor and were disgrace upon the community, and they would stop at nothing to purge us from the game blah blah blah blah same old same old. They lost, we won, end of story or so we thought. For whatever reason they posted a video of the match, deleted it right away, and then tried to claim the match never happened and that we were lying about it because we had no honor on the main forum. However, what they didn't know was we had already snagged the video and were just waiting for them to finish digging their own grave before reuploading it. The tears that came afterward were wonderful. :allears:

Always remember, Mecha Shiva is not a crime:

You can't post that without posting the video, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGt1LF-daxo

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 11, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Back Hack posted:

Oh my goodness, I can't believe you found it, I've been looking forever for a video of this. I think when it was all said and done, or at least until :pgi: made it a bannable offense, we tricked over 3000 different players into alt-f4ing.

The best part of all of this is that after it happened THE DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS MADE F4 THE BUTTON TO TOGGLE FIRST AND THIRD PERSON.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I forgot episodes 3, 4, and 5 were never made public. That's been fixed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best part of all of this is that after it happened THE DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS MADE F4 THE BUTTON TO TOGGLE FIRST AND THIRD PERSON.

F3

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I could be misremembering but I think it was F4 for the first patch then they moved it to F3

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I could be misremembering but I think it was F4 for the first patch then they moved it to F3

pretty sure that's right

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like I missed the boat on the MWO game.

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 11, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's exactly what happened. They made it F4, the trolling got insane, so they moved it to F3 and made Alt+F4 bannable.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

I feel like I missed the boat on the MWO game.

That boat was the Lusitania, so no worries.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I remain extremely envious of the BattleTech streamers. That UI looks so classy. As is the JumpShip animation. :swoon:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

OB_Juan posted:

That boat was the Lusitania, so no worries.

Does that make this the Titanic?

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

this is how i feel. this is real and true

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Radio Free Kobold posted:

No, it makes this game the U-20

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Probably more like the Queen Elizabeth.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

No, it makes this game the U-20

It's this.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

OB_Juan posted:

It's this.

MWO was actually K19

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That UI looks so classy. As is the JumpShip animation. :swoon:

I think this is the unsung hero of the streams so far. The Jump animation is baller as gently caress.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 12, 2018

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I know nothing about this setting or anything but I'm glad to hear that it's probably a good TBS game, which is all I wanted.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Rygar201 posted:

MWO was actually K19

It's the Great Eastern- big promises that result in shoddy practices, a failed launch, numerous accidents damaging it's reputation, it never reaches it's aspirations of player numbers, then it just kind of exists as a floating circus.

HBS:BT is the god damned Queen Mary by comparison. And hopefully on it's own merits but I'm trying to temper my own hype.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Rygar201 posted:

MWO was actually K19

I would not be surprised at all if PGI managed to give all their players cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Back Hack posted:

You can't post that without posting the video, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGt1LF-daxo
:vince: that is my voice coordinating that whole thing. I had no idea that video existed. Thank you.

I hate my voice.