Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Do we think Disney will mitigate this disaster?

All we can do is pray, Um0k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Brother Entropy posted:

disney is the disaster

I hardly think three great films and a 4-season TV show is a disaster.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Since there's no objective measure it would be based on the honor system

That's tricky. I can attest from an incident over in Rowdy Ringsports where a guy offered to suck his own dick if a fight between Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez wasn't awesome. The fight was...fine but not great, and there was great debate. Luckily, the dude was still happy to suck his own dick.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

jivjov posted:

I hardly think three great films and a 4-season TV show is a disaster.

rian johnson's trilogy hasn't come out yet though :thunk:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

rian johnson's trilogy hasn't come out yet though :thunk:

Episode VII, Rogue One, and Episode VIII are the ones I'm referring to

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Look at the patterns.

It's not just that Last Jedi made less money (less than Black Panther, too, which nobody would believe if you said it a year ago), it's how it made less money. The smaller opening is easy to chalk up to the lack of "STAR WARS IS BACK!" energy, but it crashed hard on weekend two, and kept crashing. Which is a judgement on it, and maybe on Disney's handling of the brand in general.

I mean, it's a pretty simple concept in general. If a company banks on a project making 10K and it brings back a cool million, that's a success. If they expect 10 million, then it's a failure. Worse, it 'failed' in a way that suggests people will be less likely to want to see the next one.

This is true, for me at least.

I saw all other SW films at least 3 times in theatres. I just finally watched TLJ for the second time (and on dvd too) the other day.

It was worse than I remembered.

And I'm certainly not going to see anymore of the SW films in theaters unless they get amazingly good reviews. It's just a redbox dvd thing from now on.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

jivjov posted:

Episode VII, Rogue One, and Episode VIII are the ones I'm referring to

:thunk:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A Disney exec looks mournfully at the $1 billion profit from Episode 8, a stack of $100 bills rising 63 miles high.

"What a loving failure"

Basebf555 posted:

Batman and Robin is a good example of knowing when to cut bait. Its not like it didn't make money, it made about 240 million. But other factors indicated that audiences were done with Batman and so they rightfully ended it.

Yeah they actually started to make a 5th one with Nick Cage as Scarecrow and the early work that got done was so bad that whoever owned the rights was like "No, you can't ruin Batman. We're pulling the plug before you wreck our IP."

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Teek posted:

Contextually updated and adjusted for modern numbers. ESB is clearly a box failure and disappointment when compared to ANH.

ANH $1.31B
ESB $720M

Fitting, as ESB is the worse movie compared to ANH. :colbert:

Edit: Of course I rank ANH #1 and ESB #2 of the Star Wars movies.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Meh.com is selling a remote controlled BB-8 today and the last poll option at the bottom of the page is very much this thread.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yesterday, I went to a VFX panel for The Last Jedi, where they discussed the technical challenges of creating Snoke, the Vulptexes, the Dreadnought, etc.

For the Dreadnought, they showed how ships and vehicles from the original films were kitbashed together and how they tried to recreate that experience digitally by recreating thousands of greeblies for the ship's design.

I was hoping they would talk about the hyperspace kamikaze attack (my favorite scene), but it was still pretty rad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Conversely, no, it's not disastrous by Disney's standards. It made over a billion dollars worldwide, and currently only 3 movies of Disney's have made more, TFA, Avengers, and Avengers 2. (Though, to be fair, Black Panther will probably pass it at this point.)

Picking out it's 2nd weekend drop doesn't really mean anything in the overall picture. It made a ton of money, and Disney wants him to make his own trilogy. There is zero reason to believe Disney is planning any course correction due to this extremely successful movie, and plenty of evidence to say they are quite happy.

Black Panther is at 1.3 billion worldwide now. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2017b.htm

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Right, it's at $1.301 billion vs. $1.332 billion for TLJ, which is why I said Black Panther will probably pass it. The point still stands if the number I mentioned is 4 Disney movies ahead of it instead of 3.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You'd think after 20 years of self-assuredly predicting that this was going to be the year the superhero movie fad finally died forever and being wrong every single time people would at least have an ounce of humility in continuing to speak authoritatively about the impending failure of whatever incredibly popular and successful thing it's cool to hate online is next.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy Mann posted:

You'd think after 20 years of self-assuredly predicting that this was going to be the year the superhero movie fad finally died forever and being wrong every single time people would at least have an ounce of humility in continuing to speak authoritatively about the impending failure of whatever incredibly popular and successful thing it's cool to hate online is next.

The point is that these films have already failed. These are dead movies. People just can't articulate why they no longer enjoy Star Wars and Marvel novelty, except through an elaborate financial metaphor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hot take: I'd rather watch a movie all about Donald Glover's Lando than a Han Solo prequel no matter who is playing Han

If nothing else, Lando's a way less-explored character than Han (at least in the movies--I'm sure there are like a dozen Lando books in the Legends stuff), but it helps that Glover's probably going to be a lot of fun as the character too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Harrow posted:

Hot take: I'd rather watch a movie all about Donald Glover's Lando than a Han Solo prequel no matter who is playing Han

If nothing else, Lando's a way less-explored character than Han (at least in the movies--I'm sure there are like a dozen Lando books in the Legends stuff), but it helps that Glover's probably going to be a lot of fun as the character too.

That's not a hot take, that's just obviously correct.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yesterday, I went to a VFX panel for The Last Jedi, where they discussed the technical challenges of creating Snoke, the Vulptexes, the Dreadnought, etc.

For the Dreadnought, they showed how ships and vehicles from the original films were kitbashed together and how they tried to recreate that experience digitally by recreating thousands of greeblies for the ship's design.

I was hoping they would talk about the hyperspace kamikaze attack (my favorite scene), but it was still pretty rad.

That sounds cool was it recorded by any chance.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I just want a decent land battle in the new ones. I thought we'd get one at the end of TLJ but I was hoodwinked.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

It's not called Land Wars :colbert:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's not called Land Wars :colbert:

It is called Star Wars yet there's only been one :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fistfight Wars

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

yeah LANDO would have been way more interesting than SOLO but it seems like when they came up with these couple of spinoffs they were playing it super safe bc they didn't know if spinoffs would work? I dunno

All of these spinoffs have pretty much been glorified appendices to literally a single film made in 1977. Like in the back end of the LOTR books you get somewhat detailed stories about stuff that happened before or between the stuff you actually care about. For all of the chatter about how "it's a wide open galaxy for all kinds of stories" they haven't really demonstrated it yet

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

It's really funny that everyone started saying this right as Marvel ripped off a string of undeniable hits.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Ingmar terdman posted:

For all of the chatter about how "it's a wide open galaxy for all kinds of stories" they haven't really demonstrated it yet

Disney wants to double its 4 billion investment before they even consider taking a risk. And they probably won't even then because its too profitable to repeat a formula, i.e. Marvel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thinking about it, I really would have preferred if the Solo movie had been about winning a BIG RACE called the Kessel Run instead of a heist movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next Poe Dameon comic has a scene set right after the Battle of Crait.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/8brnz4/the_next_poe_dameron_comics_has_reyfinnpoe_scene/

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That's a fun little scene, thanks.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Did Joss Whedon write that?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thinking about it, I really would have preferred if the Solo movie had been about winning a BIG RACE called the Kessel Run instead of a heist movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doEwWzMz99A

Especially since Rogue One already was kind of a heist movie.

What is it about John Boyega that provokes terrible likenesses?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 16, 2018

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

What is it about John Boyega that provokes terrible likenesses?

You can’t duplicate a perfect face like his :swoon:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ingmar terdman posted:

yeah LANDO would have been way more interesting than SOLO but it seems like when they came up with these couple of spinoffs they were playing it super safe bc they didn't know if spinoffs would work? I dunno

All of these spinoffs have pretty much been glorified appendices to literally a single film made in 1977. Like in the back end of the LOTR books you get somewhat detailed stories about stuff that happened before or between the stuff you actually care about. For all of the chatter about how "it's a wide open galaxy for all kinds of stories" they haven't really demonstrated it yet

A Solo backstory was a movie Lucas was planning to make all along (it was material that he told the EU writers they weren't allowed to touch because he wanted it for himself). I think those of us who want to see more Star Wars movies can be thankful that better directors were given the opportunity to make it, whatever the final result is.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Better than Lucas, who, uh, conceived and created the character and directed the actor in four out of his five appearances? What is there that you even like about Han Solo in that case?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tadashi posted:

I think those of us who want to see more Star Wars movies can be thankful that better directors were given the opportunity to make it, whatever the final result is.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

josh04 posted:

Better than Lucas, who, uh, conceived and created the character and directed the actor in four out of his five appearances? What is there that you even like about Han Solo in that case?

Not to mention who also directed the six best Star Wars movies so far.

Edit: "directed," I know, okay, four and a half.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

tadashi posted:

A Solo backstory was a movie Lucas was planning to make all along (it was material that he told the EU writers they weren't allowed to touch because he wanted it for himself). I think those of us who want to see more Star Wars movies can be thankful that better directors were given the opportunity to make it, whatever the final result is.

There was a three book trilogy that was Han's backstory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Davros1 posted:

There was a three book trilogy that was Han's backstory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Han_Solo_Trilogy
Crispin wasn't allowed to touch certain things like Han's Imperial service and first meeting with Chewie (though the latter did get a very short comic years later), so I can believe that Lucas had plans for that, although I haven't heard of anything more specific.

There's also the Brian Daley novels set before ANH, among the first EU books ever. They're good and recommended. And being early EU, they're not concerned with continuity at all, just telling fun little adventures, for people who balk at that aspect of the EU (I like Crispin's trilogy too, but it's big on tying together all the previous material about Han's history, so YMMV).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe Crispin wanted to write a Leia trilogy to accompany her Han novels, but was told she couldn't because Lucas (or someone) wanted to explore Leia's backstory in a mooted prequel TV series, Young Indiana Jones style.