Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if i'm not misunderstanding what's going on here, Q8ee's talking about a bug/exploit where people have found a way to clip their guns through cover and shoot when they ordinarily wouldn't be able to. ordinarily you'd have to pop up a little more because, if your gun would clip through the terrain, your guy will raise it up and you can't shoot; i know there's a few windows in Erangel where if you find a very specific spot you can clip your gun through the wall, so i would be very very unsurprised if you can do the same thing in a few places in miramar.

Guess he's dying to those very specific spots 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's not really a bug people are exploiting on purpose, sometimes the angle people are peeking at just causes a disconnect between where you see them and the angle they are actually at so only their head is showing. At work now or I'd post an example, but it's somewhat common.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Cinara posted:

It's not really a bug people are exploiting on purpose, sometimes the angle people are peeking at just causes a disconnect between where you see them and the angle they are actually at so only their head is showing. At work now or I'd post an example, but it's somewhat common.

This! This has been happening in FPS games for a long, long, long time. Unless you were to make a game with no static meshes and simply box walls like back in the Doom 2/Quake 1 era this is going to happen, and even then it happened from time to time.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if i'm not misunderstanding what's going on here, Q8ee's talking about a bug/exploit where people have found a way to clip their guns through cover and shoot when they ordinarily wouldn't be able to. ordinarily you'd have to pop up a little more because, if your gun would clip through the terrain, your guy will raise it up and you can't shoot; i know there's a few windows in Erangel where if you find a very specific spot you can clip your gun through the wall, so i would be very very unsurprised if you can do the same thing in a few places in miramar.

I think Q8 is talking about people popping their head over a ridge and killing people. :shrug: I pop my head over ridges all the time to shoot at people, and then they shoot back at me and sometimes headshot me.

Just because from your angle/viewpoint you can't see the barrel of the gun, doesn't mean that from their viewpoint/angle they don't have a clear as day shot on you. It's a video game. :shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MysteriousStranger posted:

This! This has been happening in FPS games for a long, long, long time. Unless you were to make a game with no static meshes and simply box walls like back in the Doom 2/Quake 1 era this is going to happen, and even then it happened from time to time.

This has been a "feature" of pretty much every FPS I've ever played, CS/CSS/CSGO being one of the easiest to notice it in.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

In FPP is the bullet actually coming out of where the gun is on your player model? I thought it at least used to be that the bullets were coming out of your head, hence shadows sometimes showing your gun model there instead of in your hands.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

MF_James posted:

This has been a "feature" of pretty much every FPS I've ever played, CS/CSS/CSGO being one of the easiest to notice it in.

It wasn't really a thing all the way back in Wolf 3d and Doom 2, but it's been around since Quake 1. It's just inherent in the way 3d works.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Tweak posted:

In FPP is the bullet actually coming out of where the gun is on your player model? I thought it at least used to be that the bullets were coming out of your head, hence shadows sometimes showing your gun model there instead of in your hands.

The bullets come from the barrel of the gun, which is part of why the head peeking issue is more of a concern in PUBG. In normal games only their head being visible wouldn't mean anything because bullets come from there anyways, but in PUBG if their gun isn't visible they shouldn't be able to shoot you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

MysteriousStranger posted:

It wasn't really a thing all the way back in Wolf 3d and Doom 2, but it's been around since Quake 1. It's just inherent in the way 3d works.

No one notices in primarily single player games, and on top of that some of those games were so basic that they didn't have neck height cover or verticality.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

VulgarandStupid posted:

No one notices in primarily single player games, and on top of that some of those games were so basic that they didn't have neck height cover or verticality.

I was more pointing out that wonky geometry, holes in geometric, odd mesh behavior are an inherent part of 3d shootmans that have existed since the start and the more complex the geometry the more of it you're going to get. It's not a bug, it's the product.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

do y'all think the fact pubg is on an unreal engine precludes valve from buying it and making it good?

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Why wouldn’t valve just make their own from scratch?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Valve doesn't make games.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Dota 2 came out like what, 5 years after MOBA's became extremely popular? Going to have to wait 4 more years for "Pubg 2"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Dota 2 came out like what, 5 years after MOBA's became extremely popular? Going to have to wait 4 more years for "Pubg 2"

PUBG is trademarked so it'll be "Battle Royale 2" and they'll eat a lawsuit from Toho

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm no engineer but pubg is one of those fps games that just removes the head and stick the camera in it's place. The gun is the same tpp or fpp, I think.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I enjoy Miramar more than Erangel simply because endgame Erangel with people hiding in bushes and laying down in tall grass is the worst poo poo imaginable

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The new circles are so good. You have just the right amount of time to loot before having to fight and the mid-game tedium is basically completely gone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
War mode is up. Some kinda TDM.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
servers broken this evening apparently

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
War mode is really fun. If you haven't tried it out, it's available for the next few days.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In 10 man squad war mode, please don't call "enemy 195 of me." Absolute landmarks are best and should not be too hard in such a small area. That is all, thank you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's best? 1) landing our of sight 2) landing with team, 3) landing fast?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's best? 1) landing our of sight 2) landing with team, 3) landing fast?

Landing with your team and if there are people nearby shooting at them you can try to drop behind them for an easy kill or two.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Best War circle: Stabler

Worst: Yas

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Q8ee posted:

willroc7, you're the only one who seems hellbent on proving I die cause I'm a poo poo player and get outmaneuvered, going so far as to post a clip of you playing the game to prove it (props for sifting through 20 mins of a recorded game of yours to find that sick kill).

Just cause it's possible to snipe someone's head if you're good enough, doesn't make the underlying problem any less poo poo to encounter. And I encounter it all too often in Miramar, more often than not, I'm dying to people using this ridge peeking exploit. It's no fun dying to a floating voodoo head. It's 90% of my deaths because I can generally hold my own in normal situations.

bullets come out of the gun in this game, if they are hitting you they are high enough out of cover for their barrel to be clear. the high ground has inherent advantages, this is something our ancestors have known since cavemen times, its not an exploit to use terain to your advantage. hth.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

remeez posted:

Best War circle: Stabler

Worst: Yas

Worst is school because the only viable place to go seems to be the apartments since people in the apartments can easily shoot people on the roof of the school and pool.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i drew you a picture to help you understand, the guy crying is you

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The new circle speeds are terrible.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

PUBG is trademarked so it'll be "Battle Royale 2" and they'll eat a lawsuit from Toho

BR:GO

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weg posted:

The new circle speeds are terrible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/8bxctp/rolling_back_recent_blue_zone_changes/

That was fast. Good riddance.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

They had to roll them back. The early game circles were way too fast and their algorithm was hosed up, every circle after the first was on an extreme side. You had to get a car and if you fought AT ALL in the first circle you'd basically be driving in to the 4th circle as the third circle closed. It was crazy.

End game was perfect for positioning and fighting while it closed. They just need to adjust the early game. The mid game was either too crowded because everyone raced in and you had 50+ people in the third circle with poo poo loot all slap fighting with uzis and level 1 gear or you had 15 people in the third circle because everyone else was loving dead from the playzone.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I liked it more than I disliked it, no more sitting in a corner looking at my phone because there's <30 people left 10 minutes into the round and only at the first circle. It was still hell without a car though, if you were far enough away from the first circle you were guaranteed to have to run your rear end off the entire rest of the match.

I think next they're going to change it so the first circle is visible before you drop, that's the only solution I can figure out to unfuck the scenario where you're left always trying to avoid the blue zone biting at your heels. The only thing the player can do to combat that is to drop in the middle of the map, and then when everyone drops school/pochinki or pecado/hacienda you end up with 2/3 of the people dead within the first 1/3 of the game.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea the new endgame circles felt wonderful, but those first few were just way too fast and closed too early. You usually wouldn't die to the circle unless you had no meds, but you'd have poo poo loot and spend too much time runnning.

I hope they can figure it out, because everything from the 4th circle on was so much nicer with the changes. You actually had time to shoot people while you moved from the circle, could stop in cover to heal, revive an ally, etc.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
C'mon the new circles were great unless you were one of those pansy Bois who won't fight until they decked in level 3 gear

To be fair I guess we always drop centrally so we never got hard messed by it

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanted to fight but everyone was desperately running for their lives.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

i drew you a picture to help you understand, the guy crying is you

That's not what the dude is complaining about.
What he gets killed by. What chocotaco (sp?) was complaining about and what I've watched Shroud and just9n bitch about endlessly is inconsistent geometry.

Person A is 5m away from the ridge he's at, so it renders with dips and ridges.
Person B is 150m away from the ridge player A is on, so it renders as a more general shape.
Person A exposes himself to shoot, based on the geometry of the ground near him.
Person B doesn't see the same exposure because his client renders poo poo in the way.

None of this happened about 10 game versions ago, but when they did an "optimization" pass over the map they've not actually sanity checked to see whether the LODs allow this nonsense to happen at common engagement ranges. See also: this patch removed a similar bug where you could see people who were in cover and shoot at them but not hit, because stuff actually exists in the way, you just couldn't see it.

Bluehole are just incompetent.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Khablam posted:

Person B is 150m away from the ridge player A is on, so it renders as a more general shape.
Person A exposes himself to shoot, based on the geometry of the ground near him.
Person B doesn't see the same exposure because his client renders poo poo in the way.

Yeah this sounds like it could be the problem.
Similar to how some buildings on Erangel have curtains that are bullet proof. Someone will hide behind one, then get shot at by someone who is 200 m out, where the curtain doesn't render.

The guy being shot at thinks the attacker has wallhax, and the attacker thinks the target has invulnerability hax.
It's just poor coordination of the aesthetic design and gameplay design. Remove the curtains or make them render at the same distances at the buildings.

(What's more, please make them not bullet proof. But then they definitely have to render out to 1 km, otherwise new players will be killed through them a lot...)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, In war mode, I kept sighting in on a building with a x2 scope, and the geometry/visuals of the building was obviously changing in and out of scope. I could see that being maddening if I was taking effective fire and not just plinking unawares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Khablam posted:

That's not what the dude is complaining about.
What he gets killed by. What chocotaco (sp?) was complaining about and what I've watched Shroud and just9n bitch about endlessly is inconsistent geometry.

None of this happened about 10 game versions ago, but when they did an "optimization" pass over the map they've not actually sanity checked to see whether the LODs allow this nonsense to happen at common engagement ranges. See also: this patch removed a similar bug where you could see people who were in cover and shoot at them but not hit, because stuff actually exists in the way, you just couldn't see it.

Bluehole are just incompetent.

At this point I genuinely want to see clips of what you are describing. If it's so prevalent across all the big STREAMERS it should be easy to find. And again, I have experienced wonky terrain bugs on miramar but they account for a very very small portion of total encounters. Not 90%...