Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Intense puns today during Jimbo's Totally Football show intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital posted:

Iol at Jonathan Wilson being pissy about the Italian commentator’s reaction to the Roma winner.

Was this on On The Continent? I may have fell asleep before getting to that.

Mandalay posted:

Intense puns today during Jimbo's Totally Football show intro anything

That's his thing.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
As in, I'm pretty sure he cultivated that during his stint on Football Italia over 20 years ago.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ninpo posted:

Was this on On The Continent? I may have fell asleep before getting to that.

That's his thing.

Nah, today’s Football Weekly.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bobby Digital posted:

Iol at Jonathan Wilson being pissy about the Italian commentator’s reaction to the Roma winner.

He was on top form on the latest pod.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bobby Digital posted:

imagine being from a country where your commentators shout golgologogogoglgoglg for 5 minutes like a mentally ill person

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

RideTheSpiral posted:

imagine being from a country where your commentators shout golgologogogoglgoglg for 5 minutes like a mentally ill person

It's good. The best in fact.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Gigi Galli posted:

It's good. The best in fact.

*makes the gary neville sound*

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lmao @ the Peter Beardsley section this week. His wife going on about the eggs

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RideTheSpiral posted:

ah hope ya miss it ya fecking eejet

As everyone said this last episode was so loving good

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ninpo posted:

That was on Football Weekly mate.

e: Unless another Lars did another flounder/turbot joke on TTFS. That said, TTFS is poo poo and I now only listen if bored and out of other podcasts.

Speaking of other podcasts, why does Gab Marcotti always sound like an American with a blocked up nose trying to eat something large while he speaks?

I should’ve started the second sentence as a new paragraph.

Lot of group singing on the recent Ramble output which as a miserable old gently caress is starting to grate, but in general their stuff is still going along ok.

I listened to the Mince while pissed up after the pub for some reason, what I remember it was good the highlight being Harry Kane and the goal claiming.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
Barney Ronay is seriously grumpy about Spurs on FW this week.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

what an insane meltdown

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Is he a spurs fan? That was hard to listen to

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thank gently caress I wasn't the only one that felt super awkward listening to it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah that was probably the worst segment on FW in a long time, maybe since that weird meltdown Rafa Honigstein had about sacking managers

Barry sounded ready to throttle him by the end of it, and rightly so

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

webmeister posted:

Yeah that was probably the worst segment on FW in a long time, maybe since that weird meltdown Rafa Honigstein had about sacking managers

Barry sounded ready to throttle him by the end of it, and rightly so

When barry started to get weirdly quite and kinda hurt I was like DONT U HURT MY LARGE IRISH SON YOU SONOFABITCH YOU GODDAMN COMMUNIST

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ronay completely handwaving away the concept of a team having a fragile mentality as witchcraft voodoo nonsense was a really embarrassing argument technique. Teams and generally any organization that isn't extremely transient develop cultures and bottlers or chokers have existed in basically every sport that I can think of. He also tried to handwave away the fact that ex players have acknowledged the feeling as punditry brainwashing which was really weird. I think teams being bottlers or fragile can be abused as a talking point and a poor way of summing up the entirety of a situation but in his attempt to tap into that idea he just got really pissy and stubborn and threw logic out the window.

Also wasn't Rafa's meltdown over firing Ranieri? That was one of the weirdest cases where I felt completely out of step with most pundits. Everyone was banging on about how they had to let Claudio sink Leicester because the story was too good. Really strange.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Will have to re-listen to FW as I must have dozed off while Barney was melting down. How far in is it?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

julian assflange posted:

Will have to re-listen to FW as I must have dozed off while Barney was melting down. How far in is it?

its pretty much the whole thing after the wenger poo poo

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Barney is so old school Gruniad it's painfully unfunny. I haven't read the actual paper in years but it used to be full of the sort of masturbatory articles that were more about trying to show off with prose and metaphors that Ronay's poo poo epitomises. It's embarrassing for journalism he still has such a high profile and I presume well paid position.

Amusingly enough, in a previous FW following the City exit from the CL, Max was talking about Ronay's article on the subject and he'd completely misunderstood wtf he was on about in an early part of the piece.

While Ronay isn't morally bankrupt (at least not outwardly), he's still almost as offensive to journalism as Kelvin McKenzie is.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Jesus Christ, there was more than one of him?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am a lefty guardian reader and he is to much for even me. Like you say he is almost like a parody.

I remember once he took great affront to some people in a park selling "british trees". He was sort of implying they were secret racists and their tree selection wasn't diverse enough.

gently caress me barney you aren't helping.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 24, 2018

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He is probably the most cited person in the Weekend Web thread

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I love the fact he couldn’t restrain his contempt for Max and Barry’s Talksport gig during that meltdown.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

He was being deliberately contrarian, but he wasn't wrong.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Mickolution posted:

If he was just making the point that sometimes pundits read too much into trends that stretch over too long a time period to be meaningful, most people would agree.

But his suggestion that FA Cup semi-finals represent the high-water mark of what can be expected of Spurs because of their resources is pretty dumb when you consider some of the other teams who’ve got through them in the same time. Add that to his needlessly aggressive tone and dismissing the experiences of ex-players and he comes off badly from the whole thing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

If he was just making the point that sometimes pundits read too much into trends that stretch over too long a time period to be meaningful, most people would agree.

But his suggestion that FA Cup semi-finals represent the high-water mark of what can be expected of Spurs because of their resources is pretty dumb when you consider some of the other teams who’ve got through them in the same time. Add that to his needlessly aggressive tone and dismissing the experiences of ex-players and he comes off badly from the whole thing.

He did get overly defensive, but lots of people do that in arguments. Internet darling Barry does it all the time on Football Weekly (it's one of my favourite parts of the pod).

Looking at Tottenham's record in those 8 games, there are only two teams (Portsmouth & Everton) that they might have been favourites for (Portsmouth finished above them in the league that year, so maybe not). That's not to say they couldn't have won those games of course, but by and large, the teams with the better resources win more games. Their record in those games comes down to coming up against better teams and bad luck. On their day, they could have beaten any of them, but it would have been an upset. People seem to forget just how average Tottenham have been for the majority of the past 30 years.

Regarding the ex-pro stuff, I think there's too much reverence given to them in the media when a lot of them are just rent-a-quotes. Just look at the shite Paul Merson comes out with on a regular basis, for example.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mickolution posted:

He did get overly defensive, but lots of people do that in arguments. Internet darling Barry does it all the time on Football Weekly (it's one of my favourite parts of the pod).

Looking at Tottenham's record in those 8 games, there are only two teams (Portsmouth & Everton) that they might have been favourites for (Portsmouth finished above them in the league that year, so maybe not). That's not to say they couldn't have won those games of course, but by and large, the teams with the better resources win more games. Their record in those games comes down to coming up against better teams and bad luck. On their day, they could have beaten any of them, but it would have been an upset. People seem to forget just how average Tottenham have been for the majority of the past 30 years.

Regarding the ex-pro stuff, I think there's too much reverence given to them in the media when a lot of them are just rent-a-quotes. Just look at the shite Paul Merson comes out with on a regular basis, for example.

Yes, but it's not that rare for a less wealthy club to defeat a richer one either. If West Brom can defeat Man Utd., why can't Tottenham?

It's pretty fair to question why Spurs do so poorly in big, one-off matches, just as its fair to question why Arsenal bottle away matches. Wealth is only one factor in contrasting match performances - it shouldn't be the excuse for losing.

I realize you're not Ronay, but he was much more wrong than Barry. He was also being weirdly awkward and bitchy about it. Max should have put him in time out for a while.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He was right making the point that past records are irrelevant when the entire team and coaching staff is different from previous seasons. It's lazy punditry. Reminds me of when Sean Ingle was on all the time talking about betting odds and how so and so hadn't won at this ground since 1965 etc

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mickolution posted:

He said that the concept of a culture/mentality in an organization is a witchcraft concept. That's indefensibly wrong

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Shroud posted:

Yes, but it's not that rare for a less wealthy club to defeat a richer one either. If West Brom can defeat Man Utd., why can't Tottenham?

It's pretty fair to question why Spurs do so poorly in big, one-off matches, just as its fair to question why Arsenal bottle away matches. Wealth is only one factor in contrasting match performances - it shouldn't be the excuse for losing.

I realize you're not Ronay, but he was much more wrong than Barry. He was also being weirdly awkward and bitchy about it. Max should have put him in time out for a while.

I think the issue with this line of thinking is that you still have small sample sizes you are working with.

To stick with Spurs for instance, only the last two seasons likely have much to do with any of the current players. The third most recent season was 2011/12, and only Danny Rose and Harry Kane were with the club (with the exception of Levy and possibly some non-sporting employees). To argue that either Rose or Kane are the same kind of players or have attitudes that were around when Harry Rednapp was the manager, seems off to me.

So if you subtract that, you are left with a loss to a team who was the best in the country last season, and a squad that is pretty similar and has spent more. Certainly not inconceivable that they could have won one or both of them, but not shocking that they lost both fairly closely. Especially in a period where people spend a lot of time talking about "cult of personality" managers, and how teams do things differently, it seems odd to focus so much on one-off knockouts.

It would be equally strange, in my mind at least, to compare United's winning mentality under Ferguson, to the period that came after it. At a certain point, cultures change.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Shroud posted:

You're right, it's not rare for the weaker team to win, but it's just a quirk of the stats that they haven't managed an upset.

Seltzer posted:

He said that the concept of a culture/mentality in an organization is a witchcraft concept. That's indefensibly wrong

I think he was just saying that to get a rise out of the others. The way I read it, what he was saying was that that over a 30 year period, you can't really read too much into arbitrary stats when the players, staff and investment are totally different. Take Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man City. All of those clubs have had a massive shift in their culture/mentality (from internal or external influences) over that period and bringing up results from the 90s or 00s is pointless in any discussion of their current setup.

It's funny, because I generally dislike Ronay's stuff. I can't read more than a paragraph or two of his articles before my eyes roll out of my head.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This Tottenham team has been my favourite to watch since either the CL qualifying campaign of 09/10, or one of the later Bale teams. Infact, more fun because there's a serious element of class to the entire squad instead of just Bale/Modric/vdV + some random Harry Redknapp players.

They also, as a younger team, flag late season and often don't perform in big games like recently against United, the game against Juve or Chelsea last season.

I think drawing a long term narrative of "spursy" across generations of teams is dumb. However, I don't think it's wrong to say that this current team never seems to be on its game in big matches.

Maybe i'm dumb because I've been watching spurs since they were really loving middling but that's my 2c.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 24, 2018

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I always think people read to much into individual games as well. Football is quite a weird sport in that it can be quite random. It's 90 mins but can all hang on a couple of key actions.

It's not like rugby or basketball or some thing where the scoreboard constantly ticks over rewarding teams for possession/territory etc. That is what makes it so exciting though I suppose.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think the one element missing from all this is actually the crowd. Sure, the players, staff etc from most of those previous semi-final losses have turned over, but I'd guess it's still a lot of the same faces in the crowd. And if those faces are used to the idea that their team regularly lose semi-finals, given that that's their experience over the years, I think that mentality transfers to the players as well.

It's the same thing with England (or Germany fwiw) and penalty shoot-outs.

And yeah, he's kinda right that it's lazy punditry, and over time you'd expect the richest clubs to perform the best, but he was just weirdly aggressive and defensive about it. Reckon it'll be quite a while before he's back on the pod.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

webmeister posted:

Reckon it'll be quite a while before he's back on the pod.

One of the joys of Totally Football pod is no Barney Ronay, no Jacob Steinberg, no Sean Ingle, etc.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mandalay posted:

One of the joys of Totally Football pod is no Barney Ronay, no Jacob Steinberg, no Sean Ingle, etc.

The Tesco Value Phillipe Auclair guy, Julien Laurens or whatever the gently caress his name is, makes up for a number of them in terribleness though.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

webmeister posted:

I think the one element missing from all this is actually the crowd. Sure, the players, staff etc from most of those previous semi-final losses have turned over, but I'd guess it's still a lot of the same faces in the crowd. And if those faces are used to the idea that their team regularly lose semi-finals, given that that's their experience over the years, I think that mentality transfers to the players as well.

It's the same thing with England (or Germany fwiw) and penalty shoot-outs.

And yeah, he's kinda right that it's lazy punditry, and over time you'd expect the richest clubs to perform the best, but he was just weirdly aggressive and defensive about it. Reckon it'll be quite a while before he's back on the pod.

Except for the FW live gig he'll be doing with Barry...next week, I think?

Have been meaning to come back to this thread to see what people think. He took a one-sided opinion to be deliberately contrarian, belittled and caricatured Barry's perfectly reasonable (or certainly no less reasonable/half-baked than his own) argument, and then got weirdly inappropriate and aggressive about it.....such a weird argument to blow up about.

I rather imagine he had to have had a quiet word and apology to Barry during one of their breaks, surely? In any case, I had no real opinion about him before...Not as bad as that bland scouse pair nor one of the highlights (Auclaire, Lars, Priya, Wilson)...but now I think he's a bit of a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Lot 49 posted:

Barney Ronay is an annoying prat, by far the worst of the football weekly regulars imo. Although Sean Ingle's stuttering is quite a handicap to have for an audio only format.

Jimbo and Barry hold the show together sometimes.

My very first post in this thread.

He's terrible and has always been terrible. It normally doesn't get talked about because the FW pundits (like most pundits) are bad at debate so they tend to circle jerk and agree with each other's opinions. Like a few weeks back Ronay went on a rant about VAR which was even more bullshit than his Tottenham whining but the rest of them lapped it up. This time for once someone challenged him and he had a temper tantrum. Now no-one will disagree with him for about a year.