Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
We've got just under 2 weeks to go; tell us about the olden days :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

We've got just under 2 weeks to go; tell us about the olden days :corsair:

Lots of robutts were shot.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I tried to play MWO again about a year ago. Turns out the entire game is full of clan bullshit mechs and it's basically impossible to compete in my janky old SRM cataphract. I want to love the game but it could seriously do with some World of Tanks-esque balancing.

(I know Tanks isn't a terribly well balanced game, but at least I can jump into a mid-tier game and have a decent time with some pew pew instead of getting insta-nuked.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dramicus posted:

Lots of robutts were shot.

:smuggo:

Pubbies were soooo bad in the early beta days. Full goonlances helped, of course.

Majestic:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 13, 2018

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks for bringing out the old WoL videos. I can't quit remember if I was Barack Hussein Kerensky or Arafat Kerensky. Pretty sure it's Arafat. I know I had a blast in those utter poo poo dragons. Oh the glory days.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
whew I installed it but I'm doing that gif that was posted earlier

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think it's in a good state tbh, it's still a grindy arena brawler with robots but the balancing is okay and the new weapons they finally added are fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Remember when catapults had hilariously huge cockpit hitboxes? :v:

https://i.imgur.com/NgWb3wN.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/jm8msCZ.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/06YfLRt.mp4

[edit] Also, what the hell happened to the graphics? I watched a video recently and mechs no longer end up these hilarious glowing slagpiles as they get scored with lasers and explosions splash all over them. Lame. where is my RIVULETS OF MOLTEN STEEL?!?

https://i.imgur.com/ZoxD9nP.mp4

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 13, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Haha, those were me.

That last jenner I headshot/hugged to death was an IGP employee for bonus points.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I wish Battletech had rag dolls.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, uh, this seems to be a thing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_33WnIpLEADui_Rh6dqSqtOKgNWRveWQ/view

Harmony Gold's lawsuit apparently got dismissed with prejudice, on behalf of both parties, it seems? :stare:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Magni posted:

Harmony Gold's lawsuit apparently got dismissed with prejudice, on behalf of both parties, it seems? :stare:

Against HBS, yes. It's still going against PGI.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably not far behind for them too, then tbh. it was a very weak lawsuit.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

isildur posted:

Confirmed, the percentages are accurate. Actually, SR's percentages were accurate, too, and that drove people crazy because everyone's trained on cheaty percentages like the ones in XCOM, and so they're infuriated by an 80% miss.

Lol XCOM is just as brutal with the 99% chance to hit whiffs. Fire Emblem is the only game I know of that actually skews the numbers

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Control Volume posted:

Lol XCOM is just as brutal with the 99% chance to hit whiffs. Fire Emblem is the only game I know of that actually skews the numbers
XCOM literally changes your chance to hit behind the scenes based on the difficulty setting. So a 99% in Impossible isn't actually a 99%. There's an article somewhere about how this works; i'll see if I can find it.

edit: all i can find are wiki articles that claim its percentages are only accurate on Impossible. So either I'm misremembering (likely, I'm old) or this article that I can no longer find was wrong.

isildur fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 13, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I found an explanation for XCOM 2 that says the benefits go all the way up to commander, but for XCOM EU (the only one Ive played extensively) there definitely was no cheating on Classic + Impossible, and the same explanation that examines XCOM 2 says as much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Magni posted:

So what you're saying is, Unseen DLC in three months?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

wiegieman posted:

So what you're saying is, Unseen DLC in three months?

No, because the mech designs/models are licensed from PGI who is still embroiled in this. It'd be stupid to include them before the PGI part gets resolved. Basically AFAIK what this does is clear HBS of responsibility as someone who merely licensed something from PGI.

This isn't over yet, but it is a promising sign.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

School Nickname posted:

I heard from a dude that the Shadowrun combat AI has sliders and other technical whatsits to GM you a lot, enemies getting harder to hit and being more accurate when your squad was pristine and easing off when you were in trouble. Apart from the :xcom: probabilities I didn't notice this, so I'm wondering whether this is true or not. I heard Mike in the latest stream mention making stuff harder if you were having a good run, or something to that effect so I'm a little anxious. I wouldn't mind coming up against a campaign like Phrosphor's Shithawk Surprise if I was raking in salvage and C-Bills for ages, but affecting the hit chances in a fight if I'm doing well seems a little bullshit to me. Hopefully it's all in my head but still. :ohdear:

We probably won't have to worry about what Shadowrun enemies had over the Player.

Which has nothing to do with people arguing over whether or not missing four 80% shots in a row is bullshit for all eternity :v:

It was that enemies would just straight up have more actions than you.

Maybe they've rebalanced since release. But when Dragonfall came out, If you wanted enough AP to shrug off a stun gun, you needed to use special cybernetics, haste spells, or hard drugs. The enemy just needed to exist after a certain point of the game. Then on to "Can eat a stun gun, then still shoot you". etc. You get the idea. You could get around it and beat the game regardless, but it certainly made various tactics a lot more awkward.

HBS Btech's nature means we won't have to worry about the AI getting handicaps for the action economy. Worst case scenario is that a hell of a lot of enemy units in higher skull contracts have 8 tactics, but hey at least that would mean less Breaching Shot panthers. And would still fall within the same action economy model as the player.

EDIT: That and any hacks to accuracy are likely going to be equipment based, so putting up with an enemy who has a ++ AC10 means a chance to steal it for yourself :getin:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

More to the point it's also probably a drop kick on HG's claim to own any and all "robot warriors." They were really over-reaching claiming poo poo like the Atlas was infringing because they own the very idea of humanoid robotic fighting machines. With that out of the way it's more or less (probably) just down to PGI's selling remodels of the unseen and whether PGI marauder is the same as the macross-derived marauder.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
It might also have some grounds to really backfire on them since wasn't it linked earlier in either this thread or the MWO thread that apparently they don't even hold the loving rights for the US anymore so really don't have a leg in this fight anyway? I could be wrong/drunk.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
If this game and PGI's funcompetence are what come together and break HG's standing on the rights to the various mechs, that would be fantastic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OB_Juan posted:

If this game and PGI's funcompetence are what come together and break HG's standing on the rights to the various mechs, that would be fantastic.
This game would have almost nothing to do with it; it will be all PGI's success.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Also, what the hell happened to the graphics? I watched a video recently and mechs no longer end up these hilarious glowing slagpiles as they get scored with lasers and explosions splash all over them. Lame. where is my RIVULETS OF MOLTEN STEEL?!?

Turns out that cryengine is still horrible years later and PGI is still not great at cryengine. To "optimize" the game they just took out effects one patch at a time over the course of several years and now the game looks pretty bad. Particles toned down, mech IK is gone (i.e. legs no longer align to terrain), missiles now fly in a straight line instead of cool twisting paths, etc etc etc. Some things have legitimate excuses, like textures being more boring now to make room for paintable camo scheme mechs, but most of it is just so that the game will keep on running on toasters. Most people forget how bad their framerates were in beta, and that was before the switch to 12v12 made things 50% worse. There's a reason that the MW5 is using Unreal, even though PGI has almost a decade of cry experience.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cryengine sucks? Somebody better go tell Chris Roberts

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

Cryengine sucks? Somebody better go tell Chris Roberts

Can't, he's being sued by them right now for breach of contract by switching the game to Amazon's variation on the cryengine. :smug:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's a reason why not many games use cryengine and crytek was in huge financial trouble. Hint: it's not because cryengine is a stable, efficient engine that is easy to work with. Can you get good results with it? Absolutely. But it takes way more time, effort, and technical knowhow than to make a game of the same appeal and complexity in a competing engine.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

aniviron posted:

...missiles now fly in a straight line instead of cool twisting paths...

Great, you've reminded me of the Festival of Artemis, and now I'm a little sad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This isn't terrible? Of course, now the other cards feel a bit underdetailed.

Can't stop, won't stop, messing with this logo.

Original:

Attempt to placate the Urbie weirdos Bonus :

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 13, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What, no Urbie in a wig? :p

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Urbanmech goes in every field

An Urbie balancing a scale on its head
A coin with an Urbie silhouette
A pink Urbie in a wig
And SkullUrbie

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Give me Urbie or give me death.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Magni posted:

It’s a stipulated dismissal, which I think in this context means that both parties agree to drop the suit. Could have been a settlement or something else.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can't stop, won't stop, messing with this logo.

Original:

Hey, I just want you to know that this is very cool and well done and I'm not going to just scream at you to add urbies to every field because it is good

Urbie Hunters would be pretty kickass though, gotta admit

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 13, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:swoon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Oh my god that is amazing. :swoon:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

loving perfect.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

:golfclap:

Did you just draw the one on the coin?