Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
I like this Cardinal Copia character. Dude's got moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Alice Cooper got botox?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am all for some lighthearted poppy stuff, but Ghost just doggedly continue to not do a goddamn thing for me. I mean, if that song came up at a bar I might absent-mindedly tap my foot to it, but that's about it. I don't mind it either, it's just a great big :geno:.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

looks like they've made a female ghoul mask design too, I can get behind this look on a whole

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
When Pallbearer released Heartless last year, I really dug how it had this specific production and guitar tone that reminded me a lot of the old Redblack Records stuff, particularly the Cales album The Pass in Time. What else has that kind of sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNl_18Kr56g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgHfGxqg10

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 13, 2018

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Worldshatter posted:

looks like they've made a female ghoul mask design too, I can get behind this look on a whole

She is amazing live. (wow I assumed someone's gender! Apparently it was a dude on the Iron Maiden tour, but he had a girlish figure so me and couple people in the audience just assumed). Ghost is definitely a band worth seeing in concert, they are so good. I don't think they will ever be the headlining arena band they want to be, but they put on a really good show. The Black Sabbath/ABBA is a great comparison, both really good bands and what an idea to combine them. It would be neat if Tobias does some Repugnant type vocals on this album to try and set him apart from the previous singers. I like the Revelations/Apocalypse vibe from RATS, it's like he's the anti-Christ and the ghouls are the 4 horsemen.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 13, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So they're basically aping 80s NWOBHM now.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Vargatron posted:

So they're basically aping 80s NWOBHM now.

Yeah, and I'm okay with that. It's that good cheese.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really want to like ghost because they release stuff with good frequency and have a decent tone and acts with goofy costumes are always fun to get behind.

But gently caress the music is so goddamn boring. Nothing in the songs have any energy behind them, it's just the music version of paint by numbers.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I liked the first album fairly well but the follow up didn't exactly grab me in the same way.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

I really want to like ghost because they release stuff with good frequency and have a decent tone and acts with goofy costumes are always fun to get behind.

But gently caress the music is so goddamn boring. Nothing in the songs have any energy behind them, it's just the music version of paint by numbers.

There's a ton of energy to their live show, also Square Hammer is the opposite of boring

https://youtu.be/VqoyKzgkqR4

That chorus is so loving good

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Id rather listen to old AOR or lite metal than a modern, washed out gimmick version

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

For a change of pace, here's something that doesn't suck out loud:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhux8pHjkM

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New Skeletal Remains dropped, owns. Great MVD-esque vox
https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/devouring-mortality

Edit: Re: Ghost talk, my lukewarm take is Opus is great, nothing else of theirs is any good and the new song stinks. The one two punch of Ritual into Elizabeth is so good.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Worldshatter posted:

For some reason the Cardinal's look makes me think of the wide-eyed stare Weird Al gives in his promo photos.

Incoherence fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 13, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay I listened to Rats a few more times on better earbuds and I’m in. That song is super catchy and the video is great. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of the album pans out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ghost is cool. If you're someone like me who's normally not into pop they make pop palatable and their whole gimmick is fun.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

I had tickets to see ghost live last time they toured in the UK but had to bail last minute. If they tour anywhere near me after Prequelle comes out I'm 100% going

Plus if Cardinal Copia is anywhere near as acrobatic on stage as in the music video it's going to be one hell of a show

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Since it's called "prequelle" and the tour ends on the day it comes out, I feel like there'll be another phase of their story at that time and maybe even another album coming out in the fall. That seems a bit ridiculous but the tour ending on the day the album comes out seems kind of significant especially with the name.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Vargatron posted:

I liked the first album fairly well but the follow up didn't exactly grab me in the same way.

Yeah that second album was boring. I like a couple songs from the third album but past the first album, Ghost isn't a band I'm listening to a full album of.

Although this 80's pop metal thing they're doing now is kinda my jams so we'll see how the album turns out.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I saw ghost live last year and it was totally worth the drive down to Denver. The ghouls are very active on stage and clearly had a blast being there. I was wondered if one of them was a lady due to the person’s small stature. If so kudos to the band for not sexualizing their female member.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

remigious posted:

If so kudos to the band for not sexualizing their female member.
Particularly since we know how Tobias values his ghouls

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

remigious posted:

I saw ghost live last year and it was totally worth the drive down to Denver. The ghouls are very active on stage and clearly had a blast being there. I was wondered if one of them was a lady due to the person’s small stature. If so kudos to the band for not sexualizing their female member.

Yeah one of the new set of ghouls is female, for this tour she'll have a different mask but that's it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Very cool!! Has anyone made a joke about calling cardinal copia “panda emeritus” yet? Because he looks like a panda lol.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah one of the new set of ghouls is female, for this tour she'll have a different mask but that's it.

Megan Thomas, formerly of Lez Zeppelin:
http://loudwire.com/ghost-female-bassist-identity-revealed/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Some people on their Reddit talk as though she's no longer in the band and it's a different bassist. Forge isn't really going to clarify so who knows. The gloves for the ghouls are probably to prevent that from happening in the future.

Can't lose the ability to fire people without getting asked questions!

edit: supposedly here's a full list of the current band - it states Megan Thomas was only in the band for 2016 and has been replaced, but it's all males so this clearly isn't 100% up to date based on the new promo shots.

The current keyboardist is the dude from Korn :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghostbc/wiki/spoilerfaq

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 13, 2018

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XulWBZqq1m8

this is the true cover we need

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
EDIT - ^^^ YESSSSSS!

remigious posted:

See that's what I thought, but someone said for the Iron Maiden tour it was a guy playing bass, but if it was he had a very petite feminine body type. Regardless, the bass player kicked rear end and the drummer is fantastic. He hits very hard. They are similar to KISS in that they are very much a live band. I hate Mummy Dust, but boy when they play it live it's awesome.

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 13, 2018

saviro
Apr 28, 2005
the revenge of the peruvian
ghost is bad

devin townsend is bad

gently caress you

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

saviro posted:

ghost is bad

devin townsend is bad

gently caress you

:getout:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ghost is great live. Seeing them for the second time next month.

I enjoy their studio stuff too but their live stuff is fantastic.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Just bought tickets to see Skinless in June for their new record release show. It's a 3 hour drive, but it's a Saturday and it's loving SKINLESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qKOnyA-HGQ

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

saviro posted:

ghost is bad

devin townsend is bad

gently caress you

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

saviro posted:

ghost is bad

devin townsend is bad

gently caress you

He's right.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

saviro posted:

ghost is bad

devin townsend is bad

gently caress you

pretty much, yeah

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

saviro posted:

ghost is bad

devin townsend is great

gently caress you

keeping this page interesting

e: I'd like to add, Apostate Viaticum is good, Lamb of God is bad

hang on I thought of another one, trivium is bad, also kiss, but whoredom rife are really good

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 14, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDM6V08wcE

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I’m willing to concede that Trivium is bad, yeah.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

saviro posted:

ghost is bad

devin townsend is bad

you’re welcome

It’s not that he’s wrong, it’s the presentation that might be off putting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fuckin Top Gun anthem baby. gently caress LA.

e: :lol: not the NHL GDT. Top Gun anthem does own, however.