Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

YPG isn't a proxy.

Wtf yes they are, especially when it comes to areas outside of the Kurdish region that we specifically sent them to for our purposes. You're either trolling or a moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

Wtf yes they are, especially when it comes to areas outside of the Kurdish region that we specifically sent them to for our purposes. You're either trolling or a moron.

Sent how? If you wanna argue that YPG and the SDF take their orders from americans, you do actually have to provide some sort of proof of that mate.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

Sent how? If you wanna argue that YPG and the SDF take their orders from americans, you do actually have to provide some sort of proof of that mate.

Sinteres posted:

You're either trolling or a moron.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:thunk:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YPG being called American proxies is kinda new though in the thread. Funny how that happens.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That oil facility was a US SOF base.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lollontee posted:

YPG isn't a proxy.

Lmao really dude

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The SDF are undeniably an American proxy. Of course they have their own aims and goals too, separate from America's, but they are still being used as a proxy by the USA.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Flayer posted:

The SDF are undeniably an American proxy. Of course they have their own aims and goals too, separate from America's, but they are still being used as a proxy by the USA.

Doesn't having you own aims and goals separate and partly opposed to your supposed patron's interests, kinda go against the whole idea of being a proxy? At least that's how I understand the definition of the word.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

Doesn't having you own aims and goals separate and partly opposed to your supposed patron's interests, kinda go against the whole idea of being a proxy? At least that's how I understand the definition of the word.

By that definition there would be no such thing as a proxy. Kind of fits your whole everything is either 100% all in or counts for nothing mentality that you didn't realize that though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

At no point was intervention going to lead to a better outcome, period.

It's hard to imagine anything worse than this, and now Assad is going to go after another 1.5 million Syrians for detention or worse. By the end of this thing it'll be his family, loyalists, and the dead.

e: I, more than anything, just want to see this guy eat a missle.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

By that definition there would be no such thing as a proxy. Kind of fits your whole everything is either 100% all in or counts for nothing mentality that you didn't realize that though.

And why would there not be proxies then? The Empire seeing it as in their interest to back a local faction doesn't automatically make it into a proxy, I don't think? Or if you think it does, then I would call your whole conception of how imperial proxies work inconsequential. You know, if there's no appreciable difference between revolutionaries accepting guns from imperialists, and imperialists controlling a country through pliable dictators.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

And why would there not be proxies then? The Empire seeing it as in their interest to back a local faction doesn't automatically make it into a proxy, I don't think? Or if you think it does, then I would call your whole conception of how imperial proxies work inconsequential. You know, if there's no appreciable difference between revolutionaries accepting guns from imperialists, and imperialists controlling a country through pliable dictators.

Pliable dictators literally are proxies as well. Read a loving book, Jesus Christ.

They're both proxies because they take arms from the sponsor country and do enough to meet their sponsor's goals to keep the weapons and support flowing. It doesn't mean they have no interests of their own.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 13, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

Pliable dictators literally are proxies as well. Read a loving book, Jesus Christ.

Hmm... then I would call your whole conception of how imperial proxies work inconsequential. You know, if there's no appreciable difference between revolutionaries accepting guns from imperialists, and imperialists controlling a country through pliable dictators.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

lollontee posted:

Hmm... then I would call your whole conception of how imperial proxies work inconsequential. You know, if there's no appreciable difference between revolutionaries accepting guns from imperialists, and imperialists controlling a country through pliable dictators.

It's almost like revolutionaries who accept support from the foremost imperialist power in the world have to make concessions to reality instead of living in a dream world of ideological purity.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

It's almost like revolutionaries who accept support from the foremost imperialist power in the world have to make concessions to reality instead of living in a dream world of ideological purity.

Go on. You're getting there. What concessions has YPG made?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is the dumbest argument in the history of the thread, and I apologize to everyone for engaging with it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

This is the dumbest argument in the history of the thread, and I apologize to everyone for engaging with it.

Impressive.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Thank u.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sinteres posted:

:same:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

lollontee posted:

Go on. You're getting there. What concessions has YPG made?

Creating the SDF instead of staying just the YPG, and shedding their blood to liberate territories they didn't care about but that the USA wanted to see liberated by them rather than by the regime and its allies.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Mattress posted:

Creating the SDF instead of staying just the YPG, and shedding their blood to liberate territories they didn't care about but that the USA wanted to see liberated by them rather than by the regime and its allies.

How do you figure the PYD didn't care about liberating non-kurdish territories? As for renaming themselves, that was just because of the Turks spoiling for a fight. It didn't actually have anything to do with America? How is public relations a concession anyhow?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

lollontee posted:

As for renaming themselves, that was just because of the Turks spoiling for a fight. It didn't actually have anything to do with America?

It was literally the US Army who told them to use the name Syrian Democratic Forces to make them more internationally palatable and dilute the YPG brand

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In other knews, no strike. Wtf.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

LeoMarr posted:

In other knews, no strike. Wtf.

drump is bought by putin

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OctaMurk posted:

It was literally the US Army who told them to use the name Syrian Democratic Forces to make them more internationally palatable and dilute the YPG brand

Ok, I'll admit I didn't really pay attention to that because it seemed like inconsequential PR bullshit. If that's the extent of PYD and YPG collusion with the imperialists, I don't think I'm going to be in much hurry to change my opinions on them tho.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brown Moses posted:

If you want an insight into what he's like just take a quick browse of his Twitter account. Newsweek at least had the decency to let me write a response which called out Newsweek for publishing his bullshit:

http://www.newsweek.com/what-truth-about-chemical-attacks-syrian-civilians-805264

lol, what a child
https://twitter.com/Wilkmaster/status/984534491720044545

What is it about Twitter that makes grown men behave like they're playground bullies in a kindergarten?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

lol, what a child

What is it about Twitter that makes grown men behave like they're playground bullies in a kindergarten?

(White) Men are used to not being called on their bullshit.

Their faux authority doesn't translate to twitter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

lol, what a child

Not everyone has been through true hell and back, so they're not used to getting owned.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Xae posted:

(White) Men are used to not being called on their bullshit.

Their faux authority doesn't translate to twitter.

The discursive-industrial complex has always sucked, its just thanks to technology it does so more and more visibly and obviously than ever.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Cat Mattress posted:

lol, what a child

I genuinely suspect he might have a mental illness.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh poo poo, Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar died.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Lots of denials and no sign of him. That's doing to gently caress things up good and proper. It would be a kicker if Werfalli took over.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Man! gently caress you Higgins!

Can't we just enjoy the demise of a strongman for at least a moment?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Could be worse, he might die and Werfalli takes over.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it's not like I'm not aware of the usual results of Imperialist interventions. Libya is gonna be totally hosed for the next couple of decades isn't it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/anadoluagency/status/984752414589882370

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/984892631246430213
Sorry about President Warbrains everyone.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trumo wants an iraq war 1998 style bombing of near all infrastructure... well aleppos already fuvked so if he starts striking aleppo this shits gonna be a laugh fest... hopefully he bunker bombs assads house about 12 times.. multiple day bombing... jesus christ this is gonna be GREAT.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The sad thing is that level of crazy is what it took to vaguely threaten Bashar al-Assad's life.