Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jedi posted:

Sadly, I think those days are gone. You're not going to have any build up to something in the future because that's not the way comics are written anymore. That buildup was primarily because there was a single writer driving the book for so long. Yes, it got a little ridiculous with the constant dangling plot lines - but when it paid off, it usually paid off in spades. With a constantly shifting creative team, that can't happen.

They had Dan Slott on Spider-Man forever, Jason Aaron has been writing Thor since 2012, and before that wrote Wolverine and The X-Men for 54 issues. The major barrier would be getting caught up in the endless crossovers, Which Thor and Spider-Man mostly avoided, but were a bigger issue in Wolverine and the X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/981171926566621184

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So no more multiples of the same X-Men probably.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So Cyclops is coming back right?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would be sad to see these kids go, especially young Cyclops, but to be totally honest it probably should've been done a year or so ago.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's a cool cover. The tagline is silly, but that cover is nice.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

"Eliminate the future?" Messed up that they're going to kill off all the 2099 characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If we're luck they'll just merge/overwrite each other so we can get rid of Dick Beast.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Iceman and Angel aren't really interesting, but I would hate to lose young Cyclops, and, to a lesser extent, Hank and Jean. Now that they've backed off on Beast being the worst and brought Jean back, though, they're not that necessary.

Has Brisson ever written anything good, though? I don't think I've liked a single thing of his.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Give blue-skinned Archangel those fiery space wings, please and thank you.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, Jean, Hank and Scott have been fun and I'd like to keep them around. Certainly, this Hank > Regular Hank for sure.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Has anyone else been reading and enjoying Rogue and Gambit? It's really quite good.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Little Mac posted:

Has anyone else been reading and enjoying Rogue and Gambit? It's really quite good.

Oh, it's ridiculously good. I'm a huge fan of both characters, and of them both being together, but I'm confident in saying that Kelly Thompson absolutely gets what makes them great, allowing Rogue to be funny, Gambit to be charming, and their chemistry is crackling. The main plot is interesting enough, but the way that flashbacks are being used to enhance their history while moving them forward is sublime, and Pere Perez and D'Armata are killing it on the art, changing from the past to present while keeping it cohesive, and featuring many, many different costumes and selling the subtle expressions to make every moment sing.

As I said, I'm 100% the target audience, but it's drat good comics regardless of your investment in Rogue and Gambit. It's also a sexy, comedic & romantic comic, which you don't see often at Marvel.

It also has the most glorious depiction of Remy's balls in a speedo you will ever see. :wiggle:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Metalshark posted:

It also has the most glorious depiction of Remy's balls in a speedo you will ever see. :wiggle:

This made me miss the Marvel Heroes game where we'd have long discussions about each hero and costume's genitalia depiction.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey davebo, Marvel Strike Force has Wolverine.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

New shirt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Re: X-Men Red, I'm so, so sick of "villain kills mutant children at the Xavier School to establish their credentials". It's hokey and cynical and shallow. I miss when they just beat up on Wolverine.

I guess it's in character for Cassandra Nova, but it's also not the most interesting thing she could have done. Her evil deeds in New X-Men were always more elaborate and harrowing than outright shock violence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bengraven posted:

New shirt.

I was like "well that's cute" until I got down to the SUGAH part and then I genuinely liked it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Hey davebo, Marvel Strike Force has Wolverine.

Yeah, I told myself I wasn't gonna do mobile games, but I couldn't resist. Fortunately it doesn't even load on my phone, just stalls at 42%, so I've been playing the past couple nights on a pc droid emulator. I don't like it, but I'm dedicated to at least accessing Wolverine.

Also borrowed a friend's copy of the X-Men Grand Design compilation last night and enjoyed it. Definitely a rushed pace since it's trying to cram a decade into two issues. One thing I didn't understand is the whole time there are all these people trying to find where the Phoenix Force is going to land but nothing like that was in the comics back then, right? They didn't allude to the phoenix years before it showed up right? I assumed that was a bit of artistic license.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

davebo posted:

I assumed that was a bit of artistic license.

Of course, but that is also part of the objective. Giving those hundreds of comics a more coherent order and tying them together with a new interpretation, in the eyes of the artist, and less randomness or improvisation.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Oof, token X-woman and Greg Land*: https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/984827070890086400 Can't say that I'm excited for the next era of Astonishing with Rosenberg's mixed track record, unless he brings it and the mystery team member is someone cool.
Don't know if Weapon X is ending, but at least Warpath is getting another appearance and I love Dazzler, but her getting Land'd again is harsh. Colossus is so dull to me and needs a rest, Beast has been better in recent Avengers than he's in the X-Books for ages and Havok has been awful since Axis so a lot of this lineup need something big to get me invested.

*Could be a mercy in light of this.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
So Havok is going to be good again and get his face fixed? Cool

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

pubic works project posted:

So Havok is going to be good again and get his face fixed? Cool

Yeah, that's probably a relief (not least because I'm working my way through the 90s and he's evil due to Dark Beast atm where I'm at), but I've only ever really liked Havok in an X-Factor context (mostly him with Polaris), though I've not read his older stuff yet.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yes please put Land and Rosenberg together on a book I stopped reading so I can ignore their existence

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hope and vaseline posted:

Yes please put Land and Rosenberg together on a book I stopped reading so I can ignore their existence

This.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bring back Dazzler Thor.

I feel like Rosenberg and I share a lot of sensibilities when it comes to comic books, I just haven't read anything he's written that's really clicked with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

Bring back Dazzler Thor.

I'm still annoyed that Dazzler didn't pick up that hammer.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Metalshark posted:

Oof, token X-woman and Greg Land*: https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/984827070890086400 Can't say that I'm excited for the next era of Astonishing with Rosenberg's mixed track record, unless he brings it and the mystery team member is someone cool.
Don't know if Weapon X is ending, but at least Warpath is getting another appearance and I love Dazzler, but her getting Land'd again is harsh. Colossus is so dull to me and needs a rest, Beast has been better in recent Avengers than he's in the X-Books for ages and Havok has been awful since Axis so a lot of this lineup need something big to get me invested.

*Could be a mercy in light of this.

So much for Professor FantomeX, I guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cabbit posted:

So much for Professor FantomeX, I guess.

Isn't there a new UXM coming out? He's probably moving over there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Guido in any x books recently? I know he took over hell but I believe that ended..

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Guido in any x books recently? I know he took over hell but I believe that ended..

He had a brief cameo in a flashback in Rogue & Gambit.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He's in New Mutants: Dead Souls, but it's been a mixed portrayal for me so far. Wasn't a fan of the first issue, liked him more in the second issue personality-wise, but the way his powers were demonstrated wasn't right to me in both as he seemed to take hits and not get rid of the energy at all, and certainly not very quickly.

Otherwise, he was in Secret Warriors for an issue or two, but not in such a way it's worth seeking out. Rosenberg seems to like him, but he's very hit & miss with characters for me. He's doing great stuff in Tales of Suspense with Bucky and Clint, and his Boom Boom is great fun, but he tends to take characters to extremes so your mileage may vary depending on whether it jibes with your tastes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it just me or is the whole approach of "let's shuffle the 100+ characters from the X-universe around willy nilly onto like five books with different colors and adjectives on the title once and a while and call it reinvigorating the franchise" approach to these series not really working anymore?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're just trying to find the mix that makes the least people made their waifu was ignored and retains sales.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Is it just me or is the whole approach of "let's shuffle the 100+ characters from the X-universe around willy nilly onto like five books with different colors and adjectives on the title once and a while and call it reinvigorating the franchise" approach to these series not really working anymore?

They've been doing the same with the Avengers. DC is doing it with the Justice League.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Rhyno posted:

They've been doing the same with the Avengers. DC is doing it with the Justice League.

To be fair, DC is doing it using rejected Pokemon Go player faction names.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I guess it would be too ridiculous to just have X-Men Blue, Gold, Red, Pumpernickel, and Chartreuse.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh. I've actually been really enjoying Astonishing, but I'd rather take a nail through the foot than read a book starring Havok and illustrated by Land.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Am I wrong in thinking that Havok has been shown as not evil anymore since Axis? He's pretty clearly still a bad guy in this week's Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rochallor posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Havok has been shown as not evil anymore since Axis? He's pretty clearly still a bad guy in this week's Blue.

Nah he’s been pretty consistently villiany since Axis.