Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've seen a few of these, but somehow have never seen Exit Through the Giftshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

If you're up for some incredibly soul-crushing despair, The Great Happiness Space is one of the best docs I've ever seen. Should still be on Netflix.

The Great Happiness Space is one of the few documentaries to ever cause my jaw to actually drop due to a mid-movie revelation. It's about host clubs in Japan where women pay exorbitant fees to be seated at a table with attractive men and have a conversation with them while drinking overpriced champagne.

It will blow your mind and demolish you emotionally. Very highly recommended.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Requiem: What kind of stupid kids' game is "light your knee on fire"? Fuckin' Wales.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Everyone should watch American Movie at least once. It was on Netflix for a long time, not sure if it still is though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Everyone should watch American Movie at least once. It was on Netflix for a long time, not sure if it still is though.

Not anymore unfortunately. But you're right, it's great. I thought it was a mockumentary the first time I watched it. Probably my favorite documentary.

A good one on Netflix is Tabloid. It's a funny and fascinating story.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If you’re into watching people who are involved in extreme exploration kind of activities, “Diving Into The Unknown” on Netflix is a good one about a group of Finnish cave divers working to recover the bodies of two of their group who died... deep in a cave, underwater.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Sarchasm posted:

The Great Happiness Space is one of the few documentaries to ever cause my jaw to actually drop due to a mid-movie revelation. It's about host clubs in Japan where women pay exorbitant fees to be seated at a table with attractive men and have a conversation with them while drinking overpriced champagne.

This is free on YouTube (not sure if posting he link is a grey area of pirated stuff or not, since it’s been up for a while) and I’m about halfway through. It’s really good. A) when they say $10,000 a month is that in yen? So like $1000 American dollars a month? B) holy moly the amount these guys drink. They must all end up cirrhotic and vomiting blood. C) I always wonder when and where/how the cultural appropriation of this like male Japanese rockband hair style started. It’s awful strange that all the men have the same haircut, and it’s in so many video games and comics as well. Western society went through that hair style in the 70s-80s and it’s odd that it’s so prominent in current day Japanese culture. Just wonder why it started is all.

I don’t feel like I’m to this big reveal yet though. We will have to see. It’s intertwining and interesting in its own right.

I’ll post the link to the YouTube if people are interested and it’s ok, but it’s the first hit anyways so.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is free on YouTube (not sure if posting he link is a grey area of pirated stuff or not, since it’s been up for a while) and I’m about halfway through. It’s really good. A) when they say $10,000 a month is that in yen? So like $1000 American dollars a month? B) holy moly the amount these guys drink. They must all end up cirrhotic and vomiting blood. C) I always wonder when and where/how the cultural appropriation of this like male Japanese rockband hair style started. It’s awful strange that all the men have the same haircut, and it’s in so many video games and comics as well. Western society went through that hair style in the 70s-80s and it’s odd that it’s so prominent in current day Japanese culture. Just wonder why it started is all.

I don’t feel like I’m to this big reveal yet though. We will have to see. It’s intertwining and interesting in its own right.

I’ll post the link to the YouTube if people are interested and it’s ok, but it’s the first hit anyways so.

It was on Netflix for a long while but not now. The YouTube version is kind of low res but it's worth a watch for sure.

For those who don't know, The Great Happiness Space is about "host bars" in Osaka, Japan. It's kind of a version of a strip bar except the "strippers" (hosts) are male and the clientele are women. And, as far as I can tell, there's no stripping.

The clients spend lots of free time there and lavish ridiculous amounts of money on the "hosts", buying them drinks etc. at no doubt ridiculous prices. In return for their company and some weird illusion of a relationship. In that aspect there is some resemblance to a strip bar in the U.S. and the stripper/punter dynamic.

There is a reveal late in the film that provides some insight into what is going on, and the needs being fulfilled (or not) are illuminated somewhat. But not completely.

I would describe the look of the hosts as a 70s David Bowie glam sort of style.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yes. It’s Bowie hair all the way down.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Does Lost in Space ever really pick up? That first episode was pretty rough and uninteresting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Unmature posted:

I've seen a few of these, but somehow have never seen Exit Through the Giftshop.

Another vote for this if you didn’t get around to it last night already.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Lycus posted:

Requiem: What kind of stupid kids' game is "light your knee on fire"? Fuckin' Wales.

How are you liking it otherwise. After 2 episodes, Im still undecided.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

precision posted:

Oh hell yeah I've been waiting for that! I loved season 1 (not a comic reader) and the premiere of season 2 was almost better than every episode of S1. I know what I'm binging tonight :420:

Too bad it all kind of fell apart by the end. Plenty of good stuff, but set off by way too much wheel-spinning. The first couple of episodes fulfilled the road-trip promise of the end of the first season, but it all grinds to a halt. The Eugene and Hitler in Hell Show was the best part, and I was always just waiting to get back to that.

I'm still looking forward to Season 3.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nihonniboku posted:

The Little Hours is available to watch on Prime. It stars Aubrey Plaza, Allison Brie, Dave Franco, Kate Micucci, John C. Reilly, Fred Armisen, Nick Offerman, Molly Shannon, Paul Reiser and Adam Palley. It's based on a 13th century novella about nuns at a convent dealing with a man pretending to be a deaf mute. Or really, it's based on a recent translation of that novella where the dialogue was written anachronistically, and it's absolutely hilarious.

I kind of can't stop thinking about the movie.

I'm just 10 minutes in and holy jesus this is hilarious.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chef's Table Season 4 is out on Netflix now, it's all pastry and it starts with Christina Tosi of Momofuku Milk Bar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9J7BBLpncI

https://www.netflix.com/watch/80198...4c16e1a0a%2C%2C

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I thought it was going to be that most of the hosts were gay*, so I didn't expect it when it came. What a hideous oroborous of a situation. The most appropriate western analogy would be H.

*This may well still hold true.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone watch Lost in Space yet?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sarchasm posted:

I think I remember watching that like a decade go. It was sad, a lot of these women were spending thousands of dollars a month on their preferred men, and were actually falling in love with them. But completely unrequited.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh, and along with Diving Into The Unknown, another really good documentary about crazy adventurers doing amazing extreme exploration is Meru (Netflix), about mountain climbers trying to be the first to scale the peak with that name.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

I think I remember watching that like a decade go. It was sad, a lot of these women were spending thousands of dollars a month on their preferred men, and were actually falling in love with them. But completely unrequited.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've watched all of that before, but don't really remember a big surprise reveal or anything. Wanna you guys wanna spoil it to refresh my memory?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone watch Lost in Space yet?

I’ve watched the first four episodes and it alternates between boring b-plots and forced familial drama. It’s also extremely predictable and Parker Posey is the only castmember who isn’t a total snooze. I’d pass.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've watched all of that before, but don't really remember a big surprise reveal or anything. Wanna you guys wanna spoil it to refresh my memory?

Almost all of the girls are Fuzoku

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve watched the first four episodes and it alternates between boring b-plots and forced familial drama. It’s also extremely predictable and Parker Posey is the only castmember who isn’t a total snooze. I’d pass.

I watched a few episodes and it’s so pretty but so boring. It’s not as bad as the movie, but that’s a low bar. Show bad.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

these women spend thousands a month to be entertained by male hosts. They fall in love with the hosts. They compete for this love. It turns out that nearly all the women are young prostitutes that yearn for that human connection because of broken upbringings. They pay for it, the hosts know it, and the women keep working as prostitutes to continue to afford it. Both the men and women understand that the love is all lies. The women end up realizing how empty life has become, the men end up realizing they are incapable of really loving anyone anymore. The women actually go to multiple host bars and act out this need based fantasy with many many men. The men realize that while they want to love someone truly, they will never be able to because of how much of a sham love has become for them. It’s a very sad take on thousand dollar codependency. . It’s very good.

Edit: I must point out a thing that really struck me.
it is portrayed that there is actually very little inequality. Both the men and the women are getting very rich from the sex trade. This is simply the easiest way for both sides to find emotion and cope with their trade. Both sides spend hours selling their bodies. Both end up completely burning their bodies out as well (those guys vomiting up blood from drinking nightly, gently caress). Both sides make mad bank off of eachother. One of the main men made it clear that it is an odd transactional circle they are both stuck in. It’s sad as gently caress if you think about it.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 13, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, I do remember that now. Very sad situation all around.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That was SUCH a well edited doc. They created several amazing twists just with the careful doling out of information

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The scene near the end that's just a shot of the male hosts closing up at like 7 AM and going home. Devastating.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'll give Lost in Space a shot for Parker Posey.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

precision posted:

The scene near the end that's just a shot of the male hosts closing up at like 7 AM and going home. Devastating.

Yeah. And that’s every single morning for them. It was loving bad.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Boosh! posted:

How are you liking it otherwise. After 2 episodes, Im still undecided.

It's very slow, it could've been a movie.

Edit:
It moves very slowly, the protagonists do basically nothing, and it ends on a sleepy cliffhanger

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 14, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Whether something gets called "graffiti" or "street art" seems pretty transparently tied to notions of class and race and while I think it's absolutely valid for Exit Through The Gift Shop to focus on 'street art' as being this primarily white middle - class thing, I think it absolutely hurts the movie to not at least spend some time outlining the larger context that stuff exists in. Especially when the overarching 'joke' of the movie is, in part, about what happens when art is appropriated in a more commercially viable way.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 14, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

Whether something gets called "graffiti" or "street art" seems pretty transparently tied to notions of class and race and while I think it's absolutely valid for Exit Through The Gift Shop to focus on 'street art' as being this primarily white middle - class thing, I think it absolutely hurts the movie to not at least spend some time outlining the larger context that stuff exists in. Especially when the overarching 'joke' of the movie is, in part, about what happens when art is appropriated for more commercially viable uses.

That would have been cool but it would have taken valuable time away from the real focus and star of the documentary: Terry.

Speaking of "street art", there's a decent documentary on the Toynbee Tiles called Resurrect Dead. I believe it's on Netflix, but it's definitely on Sundance Now.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

That would have been cool but it would have taken valuable time away from the real focus and star of the documentary: Terry.

Speaking of "street art", there's a decent documentary on the Toynbee Tiles called Resurrect Dead. I believe it's on Netflix, but it's definitely on Sundance Now.

I disagree though, the movie presents Terry as having learned all the wrong lessons from Shepard Fairy/ Banksy etc. but it seems like he's figured out exactly what he needed to from their work - that the way to distinguish yourself within the medium isn't greater talent but instead branding & utilizing a place of privilege and resources to make your work more 'accessible'. I think it's to the movie's detriment that, by not showing the wider context this art exists within, it presents him as some sort of aberration instead of a successful student

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Well my girlfriend and two of our friends have subsequently watched The Happy Place via the YouTube and everyone is just floored by it. Hard to leave that gem be.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

precision posted:

Resurrect Dead is good as hell, and it's 100% on prime right now. I kinda sorta know the guys that made it.

Also the best tile is the one at 40th and Market that just says TUPAC ALIVE IN JAMAICA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll be real sad if the Toynbee Tiles ever get "solved". It's the coolest, weirdest thing in the world, in large part because the person doing it clearly has no interest in fame at all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

precision posted:

I'll be real sad if the Toynbee Tiles ever get "solved". It's the coolest, weirdest thing in the world, in large part because the person doing it clearly has no interest in fame at all.

I mean, they pretty much do solve it in the documentary. I was kind of bummed out by that, but how they found their info was pretty interesting so I still really like the movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wa27 posted:

I mean, they pretty much do solve it in the documentary. I was kind of bummed out by that, but how they found their info was pretty interesting so I still really like the movie.

Maybe I'm remembering poorly but I thought it was a decent theory but that it still didn't quite explain some things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Naw they pretty much settled it. I mean they don't lie show the guy making and planting them but the they were able to get all the pieces together. Guy posed away a few years back too.

I just dig how perfectly the doc captures the feeling of
1) growing up around here and looking down one day and actually noticing the tiles for the first time
2) South Philly

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Even if you’re not really that into hip hop, Rapture is a great series.

The T.I. episode is incredible, mostly because he meets with Jane Elliott, a well-known anti-racism activist.