Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
In my current England game all of France went Reformed. It’s the early 1700s and I’ve still held on to Normandy all the way to Flanders as well as Aquitaine, so those are the only non-Reformed parts of France (because they’re Anglican).

All of the HRE and most of Italy went Protestant. So did Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
As a really aggressive England who PU’d France and Aragon and forced them both to go Anglican, I saw a lot to provinces in both flip reformed before they could convert them. But that’s about the only time I have seen lots of reformed provinces since CoC.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Gah, why won't my monarch get married? I've entered four new royal marriages since this single 19 year old ascended to the throne of my beautiful Mikan. But none led to a consort. The filthy Magyars are gonna junior-partner me if this idiot dies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Go over your diplo relation limit if you want to give it one more shot, diplo power is cheap especially if you’re not colonizing. Alternatively, start a war. You can’t be PU’d if you’re at war when your monarch dies. You’ll get a random rear end local replacement, but maybe he’ll be good.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mr. Fowl posted:

This week's Developer's Diary seems to help Republics a bit.

Nepotism: Each candidate get +1 random stat

:lol:

That's not how you spell -2 to each stat

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe it should give some corruption and lower republic tradition each "election" too.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Cheen posted:

what map mod u using mate

Theyve been "out of date" for awhile. Doesn't matter though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's really weird to me how this game doesn't have nearly as many good optional game rules compared to CK2, which now has so many and such good ones, even though this game definitely should have some.

I also don't get why the game does randomness so badly. Random province development is a horrible shitshow that keeps inventing fractions, while the random new world is criminally boring

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I’m coming in to EUIV from a background of a stupid amount of time spent in Civ V and Stellaris. Still had to spend the majority of yesterday doing nothing but reading the wiki and watching videos to get a hold of the half dozen major systems incorporated into the game over the last few years.

I like the idea of establishing the British Empire. Is that too ambitious a goal for my first game? Should I stick to a regular Castille opening instead to get ahold of the mechanics?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

MadJackal posted:

I’m coming in to EUIV from a background of a stupid amount of time spent in Civ V and Stellaris. Still had to spend the majority of yesterday doing nothing but reading the wiki and watching videos to get a hold of the half dozen major systems incorporated into the game over the last few years.

I like the idea of establishing the British Empire. Is that too ambitious a goal for my first game? Should I stick to a regular Castille opening instead to get ahold of the mechanics?

England is probably an easier start than Castile honestly. Current expansion makes a British Empire game very simple so why not go for it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

england is super easy but there's an almost guaranteed event triggered war against france right at the start and you'll probably lose it. but after that it's more or less gravy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

england is super easy but there's an almost guaranteed event triggered war against france right at the start and you'll probably lose it. but after that it's more or less gravy

That said, it is easily circumvented by releasing your continental provinces as a vassal (if you want to smash the French later on your own terms) or just selling them to France (if you would rather sit on DGAF Island all game).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So getting back into this game after not playing for ages. I decided to try an Ottoman ironman game, and I'm having a hell of a time cracking the Mamluks.

It's just before 1600. I've taken Greece, most of the Balkans, Mesopotamia, etc.. But my first war against the Mamluks was a disaster. I had a larger army, more manpower, and a slight tech advantage yet they just loving ground me down. Even once I got their manpower to zero they just kept sending more and more 20k stacks out of God knows where, continuously running circles around my stacks as I kept losing troops to attrition not being able to pin them down since they'd leave a province one day before I'd catch them. Maybe Mercs? But their economy doesn't seem good enough to hire that many Merc stacks. The 20k stacks their ally Morrocco somehow managed to get through didn't help either. Eventually I ran out of manpower and money and had to concede four provinces on the border to them.

I'm not sure how to best recover from it. I've had trouble getting strong allies, since I had to dissolve my alliance with Qara Qoyunlu to grab the two Kurdistan provinces they had to even trigger the "Acquire the Levant" mission. Basically I've got Tunis, Khorasan, and France on my side. Tunis always gets stuck in debt and never wants to join wars, France is too far away (although they're handy against Hungary and Austria). I've been biding my time by taking the rest of Iraq from Qara and occasionally taking provinces from Hungary. I want to kick those Mamluk assholes in the teeth so bad now, but how do I get around these millions dancing stacks? :saddowns:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Tunis always gets stuck in debt and never wants to join wars,

If you have the money you could always bail them out, either by the great power interaction (could be a DLC feature, idk) or by regular gift. They should make fighting the Mamluks a fair bit easier as they'll at the very least keep Morocco busy for a while, and possibly distract the Mamluk stacks while you take territory and tick up their WE.

Also, assuming your fleet is stronger than theirs, make sure you're blockading as much of their coastline as you can. This gives you warscore and money and costs them money and war exhaustion.

As for how the Mamluks fielded so many stacks, they were probably taking out loans to field a lot of mercs. You can do the same and if you can keep it up long enough (with a stronger economy you should be able to) they'll be forced to capitulate or go bankrupt.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 13, 2018

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does piracy stop if you have good relations with the north african states or if you ally\vassalize them?

Running a MP game as Portugal and I'd rather just beat up Morocco and prop up the small states around it than to bother controlling most of that mess.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Mans posted:

Does piracy stop if you have good relations with the north african states or if you ally\vassalize them?

Running a MP game as Portugal and I'd rather just beat up Morocco and prop up the small states around it than to bother controlling most of that mess.

No, even vassaling them doesn't stop it. Even being of that religion as a state doesn't stop it, since you can still have christian/muslim provinces on the coast raided if they're heresy provinces.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coastal raiding is the dumbest most unfun mechanic in this game.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
the only way to stop it is to conquer africa

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Putting your big ships on anti-piracy patrol stops the coastal raiding, but then this means you can't have them sitting in port mothballed during peacetime. And like a week after you move them away for any reason the all-knowing AI rushes in and raids the poo poo out of you.

The most infuriating part is probably the devastation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it's extremely cool how the only way to stop it is with one specific naval mission. Protecting trade won't stop it, hunting enemy fleets won't stop it, having ships in the port or an adjacent sea zone won't stop it, having the province in a fort zone of control won't stop it, having troops in the province won't stop it. It has to specifically be hunting pirates. And the mission only covers trade zones, not sea zones, so you can still get screwed if a province straddles two trade zones.

And of course there's no diplomatic option to tell the AI to knock it off.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I don’t have mare nostrum so I’ve never had to deal with that, but it sounds like they just copied over the raiding from ck2. Which is really fun if you’re on the giving end; tedious, unfun, and frustrating if you’re on the receiving end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unfortunately it's also extremely tedious and unfun on the giving end. It's yet another thing that the AI can do really well because it's omniscient and omnipresent, but just an attention tax for a human player.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

I don’t have mare nostrum so I’ve never had to deal with that, but it sounds like they just copied over the raiding from ck2. Which is really fun if you’re on the giving end; tedious, unfun, and frustrating if you’re on the receiving end.

No, it's pretty different here. In EU4 it's done by ships and it's just a button you press on the fleet screen while the fleet is next to a coastal province within trade range. You don't need to siege any provinces down and an enemy army can't counter you.

Fister Roboto posted:

Unfortunately it's also extremely tedious and unfun on the giving end. It's yet another thing that the AI can do really well because it's omniscient and omnipresent, but just an attention tax for a human player.

Yeah, you have to keep track of provincial modifier expiration dates for each individual province while also keeping track of trade node anti-piracy effectiveness and if the timing is just right, you simply click a button for a few free ducats. It's the least fun thing ever.

It's a loving terrible mechanic in every possible way that paradox is forced to keep because it's a DLC feature.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

What useful things out of the mare nostrum dlc would you be missing if you turned that off?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

What useful things out of the mare nostrum dlc would you be missing if you turned that off?

Naval missions are an MN thing iirc. Apart from that hardly anything, it’s probably the slimmest of the full expansions.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Is a Burgundy run a decent choice right now? Haven't played a European mid-weight power in quite a while

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Is the whole jack everyone's duckets by sending a giant pirate fleet onto their home node from mare nostrum? That's pretty funny. Was stealing 25% of ottomans home trade as GB and they didn't do anything about it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

the timeline replay is fun and boosting mercantilism but that's about it. you get to avoid trade leagues with it off too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

Naval missions are an MN thing iirc. Apart from that hardly anything, it’s probably the slimmest of the full expansions.

I'd say naval missions are pretty dang essential. I don't want to even think about manually controlling my fleets.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I don't quite get naval supply. Like I was playing as GB, and couldn't do any missions in the Baltic Sea because I guess the fleets weren't "in supply"? Could do missions in the med or caribbean just fine.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I don't quite get naval supply. Like I was playing as GB, and couldn't do any missions in the Baltic Sea because I guess the fleets weren't "in supply"? Could do missions in the med or caribbean just fine.

Presumably this is because you had a port, or fleet basing rights, somewhere in the Med/Caribbean. It’s within a certain distance of your nearest port. If you get a port in the Baltic (see if you can snag Bornholm or something) it will work.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

skasion posted:

Presumably this is because you had a port, or fleet basing rights, somewhere in the Med/Caribbean. It’s within a certain distance of your nearest port. If you get a port in the Baltic (see if you can snag Bornholm or something) it will work.

Yeah no ports in the baltic, just seems odd they can't just fleet base from England? Seems real close. Like I could manually blockage all of the baltic just kinda annoying that the automatic function gets turned off.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Like I could manually blockage all of the baltic just kinda annoying that the automatic function gets turned off.

If it's out of your supply, you'll be taking attrition if you do it manually.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Coastal raiding becomes much less annoying if you just turn off the popup for it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Coastal raiding becomes much less annoying if you just turn off the popup for it

Personally this is how I deal with all the recurring problems in my life

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Is a Burgundy run a decent choice right now? Haven't played a European mid-weight power in quite a while

Burgundy is pretty beefy due to the 3 personal union subjects you start with, if you can swing an alliance with some combination of Castille, Aragon and Austria you can crush France fairly easily. Particularly because England is likely to pile in once you put the hurt on France.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I swapped from Japan to Manchu then to Qing. It's kinda disappointing how few missions Qing has compared to Japan. I know it gets a bunch of permanent claims anyways so it doesn't need the missions, but it seems less interactive.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

If you have the money you could always bail them out, either by the great power interaction (could be a DLC feature, idk) or by regular gift. They should make fighting the Mamluks a fair bit easier as they'll at the very least keep Morocco busy for a while, and possibly distract the Mamluk stacks while you take territory and tick up their WE.

Also, assuming your fleet is stronger than theirs, make sure you're blockading as much of their coastline as you can. This gives you warscore and money and costs them money and war exhaustion.

As for how the Mamluks fielded so many stacks, they were probably taking out loans to field a lot of mercs. You can do the same and if you can keep it up long enough (with a stronger economy you should be able to) they'll be forced to capitulate or go bankrupt.

Good tips. I'd really neglected my navy and didn't realize how much them blockading me cost me. Built a pile of ships, blockaded the crap out of them, and actually managed to get France to join the war so Morrocco was too busy getting it's rear end kicked to do anything.

I think I've got them on the back foot now. Next war I should be able to finish taking the Levant, then I should be one or two more to finish conquering Egypt and getting all that sweet Alexandria trade income.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Started my first game ever in EU IV as England. I've won the War of the Roses, now just waiting to complete the Operation: Big Swinging Dick Army to Subjugate the Irish and Scots. (Why did I have to check a mouseover in a buried menu to figure out I needed +1 stability to finish the war?)

Did a quick google search to figure out where Army Professionalism was listed on my Royal Army stack, which lead to a 16 minute long youtube video on the drill/professionalism mechanic. Apparently, mercenaries are totally awesome and worth(?) the doubled cost/maintenance, up until Professionalism breaks the game at 80% and you can churn disposable generals for Infinite Manpower.

This game is autistic perfection.

From the video:

Just bask in that.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they patched out the general thing so professionalism is Just There now and i forget about it. drilling is bad though

also don't be mean to reman