Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

jesus christ this is gonna be GREAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
"Go big or go home". Unironically think Trump is right on this one--there is no point to striking, unless we're going to cause severe enough damage that the SAA will think again before dumping nerve gas on cities.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

"Go big or go home". Unironically think Trump is right on this one--there is no point to striking, unless we're going to cause severe enough damage that the SAA will think again before dumping nerve gas on cities.

Your absolutely wrong.

Nothing > something ineffective that allows trump to pretend to have done something and Assad and Russia to realize it was just for internal show > anything real

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Your absolutely wrong.

Nothing > something ineffective that allows trump to pretend to have done something and Assad and Russia to realize it was just for internal show > anything real

Halfway measures and half-hearted escalation are how the Syrian Civil War got this hosed up in the first place. It is irresponsible for us to strike and give people the glimmer of hope that they have Western support unless we're willing to actually back them to the hilt. If we're not, then let's just stay home and let the war sort itself out--it will be horrible, but at least quicker than our continual intervention keeping the war going on forever. Obama already let them cross the redline, so we don't even look weaker by doing nothing at this point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any suggestion of *intentionally* hitting Russian poo poo is the very definition of the worst possible idea.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

Halfway measures and half-hearted escalation are how the Syrian Civil War got this hosed up in the first place. It is irresponsible for us to strike and give people the glimmer of hope that they have Western support unless we're willing to actually back them to the hilt. If we're not, then let's just stay home. Obama already let them cross the redline, so we don't even look weaker by doing nothing at this point.

Nobody's going to get a glimmer of hope because we throw some missiles into the dirt. It's actually a heavier response that gives false hope, because we're not going to actually remove him from power.

Anyone who sees this and goes 'yeah awesome!' needs their head examined.

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/984896482087198722

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Nobody's going to get a glimmer of hope because we throw some missiles into the dirt. It's actually a heavier response that gives false hope, because we're not going to actually remove him from power.

Then let's not strike, since it wont make a difference? I don't understand why anyone supports these kinds of "slap on the wrist" strikes that aren't even intended to make a difference.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Then let's not strike, since it wont make a difference? I don't understand why anyone supports these kinds of "slap on the wrist" strikes that aren't even intended to make a difference.

Obviously that would be best. In a case where trump decides he must do something because he tweeted he would then less is absolutely better.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I thought a clear "don't do that" message with limited strikes directed at chemical capabilities made some amount of sense, but Bolton trying to con Trump into expanding the war to punish Iran and Russia makes this dangerous enough that I don't want any of these people going forward with anything.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HorrificExistence posted:

drump is bought by putin

Kompromatized rather than bought.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LeoMarr posted:

Trumo wants an iraq war 1998 style bombing of near all infrastructure... well aleppos already fuvked so if he starts striking aleppo this shits gonna be a laugh fest... hopefully he bunker bombs assads house about 12 times.. multiple day bombing... jesus christ this is gonna be GREAT.

Trump will (at best) bomb empty airfields and avoid doing any serious damage to Assad because he is terrified of Putin.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Deconfliction advocate, Jim "Mad Dog" Mattis

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/EL4JC/status/984789066569998338

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
the japanese nuked themselves, you see

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Willie Tomg posted:

Deconfliction advocate, Jim "Mad Dog" Mattis

He hates being called that btw, his call sign was Chaos.

And yeah, him and McMaster were the adults in the room, mostly because they’re weirdly against US servicemembers dying needlessly.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
IIRC another thing that makes him a relative dove for THIS administration is that Frankly He Would Rather Only Torture People When Its Useful, Thank You Very Much.

(Honestly there are a lot of administrations that would make him a relative dove in, unfortunately.)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Halfway measures and half-hearted escalation are how the Syrian Civil War got this hosed up in the first place. It is irresponsible for us to strike and give people the glimmer of hope that they have Western support unless we're willing to actually back them to the hilt. If we're not, then let's just stay home and let the war sort itself out--it will be horrible, but at least quicker than our continual intervention keeping the war going on forever. Obama already let them cross the redline, so we don't even look weaker by doing nothing at this point.

realpolitik-wise the US would actually prefer if we could extend this out as long as possible as cheaply as possible, because it is bleeding Russia of money and military units.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

realpolitik-wise the US would actually prefer if we could extend this out as long as possible as cheaply as possible, because it is bleeding Russia of money and military units.

That's a deeply cynical view which some realists have advanced, but I don't buy that it's actually been what's motivated the US, both because I don't think Barack Obama was that evil (even if being President of the United States means he has blood on his hands, I think he needed better reasons than 'let's get a shitload of people killed just to marginally weaken an adversary I don't take seriously anyway, in a way that will make them look stronger to many observers.') Besides, I think the cynical view is wrong that it would be a good thing to desire even from a purely amoral perspective, since the second order effects the refugee crisis at least contributed to have been so disastrous for the liberal order in the West.

A lot of realists are really obsessed with stability above all else, especially since they view the US as the dominant power in the world, and one that has too much to risk from pushing an aggressive foreign policy that risks upsetting the international order we created. It's also a somewhat amoral perspective, but more passively so. It doesn't really have many adherents though, outside of some academics everyone ignores and maybe second term Obama. Democrats tend to be liberal internationalists, while Republicans tend to either be outright hegemonists or foreign policy liberals depending on how cynical they are.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 13, 2018

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sinteres posted:

I don't think Barack Obama was that evil
He definitely was, as evidenced by all the dead kids.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He definitely was, as evidenced by all the dead kids.

Huh, it's almost like I addressed that if you didn't snip out the rest of the comment. Unless you mean the dead Syrian kids he allowed Assad to kill, in which case that's different from the point I'm making, which is that he wasn't actively trying to make that happen.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think Obama genuinely believed that drone strikes in Punjab reduce net dead kids overall

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

I think Obama genuinely believed that drone strikes in Punjab reduce net dead kids overall

:same:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/984930794778095617?s=19
Leaking doesn't really seem like sufficient recourse under the given circumstances but what do I know I'm just some nobody who doesn't want to die in WWIII.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/984930794778095617?s=19
Leaking doesn't really seem like sufficient recourse under the given circumstances but what do I know I'm just some nobody who doesn't want to die in WWIII.

What else can he do? Congress is a loving joke and let the presidency assume more and more power over the last few decades, so nobody's in a position to do poo poo about Trump ordering whatever the gently caress he wants. I mean I guess he could resign, but then we don't even have him in the room offering less insane options anymore.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flavahbeast posted:

Middle East Thread of Eternal Despair - Reducing Net Dead Kids Overall

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I suspect that Donald J Trump should not have been made president of the United States of America.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Thump! posted:

He hates being called that btw, his call sign was Chaos.

And yeah, him and McMaster were the adults in the room, mostly because they’re weirdly against US servicemembers dying needlessly.

Chaos Mattis the sensible moderate is also p. funny patter

khwarezm posted:

I suspect that Donald J Trump should not have been made president of the United States of America.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Think of all those Bhopal children who would have grown up in poverty!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Eh, at least Clinton probably wouldn't have jumped from opposing position to opposing position so arbitrarily which undoubtedly makes things much more unstable.

Also wasn't this regarding last year's attack?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Eh, at least Clinton probably wouldn't have jumped from opposing position to opposing position so arbitrarily which undoubtedly makes things much more unstable.

Also wasn't this regarding last year's attack?

It was. IMO we'd probably be having the "robust response" conversation in a hypothetical Clinton administration but its dumb of me to even mention that because we'll never know and as you point out the voices in Clinton's head probably couldn't form a barbershop chorus as seems to be the case IRL presently.

DC politicians just freakin' love war

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

War with Russia then?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TRUMP!!!!

Grouchio posted:

War with Russia then?

Not necessarily. The Ukraine conflict hasn't exploded into full-blown NATO vs Russia war outside Ukraine despite both NATO and Russian troops being on opposite sides.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 14, 2018

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
finally

https://twitter.com/AndrewBeatty/status/984950288191762433

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grouchio posted:

War with Russia then?

No, of course not.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

More evidence:

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/984951187261808640

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

TRUMP!!!!

Not necessarily. The Ukraine conflict hasn't exploded into full-blown NATO vs Russia war outside Ukraine despite both NATO and Russian troops being on opposite sides.

Uh, if there's any NATO troops in Ukraine somebody should tell NATO about it.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

https://twitter.com/JoeRTabet/status/984953458485809152

quote:

Just-in: US administration official confirmed to me that a decision to strike #Syria has been taken.
WELP!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Here we gooo!!!!!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Trump expected to address nation on Syria

We're going to war boys! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
More civilians are going to die because of this than in the chemical attack.