Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'll walk back on what I said on this post:

khwarezm posted:

Wanna bet that what'll happen is that the US will perform some bombings of airfields and grounded aircraft, Trump will bloviate about being a tough cool dude, the SAA will be barely effected, continue to bloodily grind down the last remaining pockets of resistance, maybe without outright using chemical weapons from now on, and the guys suddenly extremely concerned about the victims of the war in Syria will go back to not giving a poo poo?

and call myself an idiot, this is getting real loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

That could easily be the extent of it, whatever Trump does he's going to go hog wild trying to oversell it

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

And we're bombing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jagged Jim posted:

We're going to war boys! :toot:

Cool to see this something awful post from 2001.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Flavahbeast posted:

That could easily be the extent of it, whatever Trump does he's going to go hog wild trying to oversell it

I dunno, he could try and use this to distract from all of the poo poo happening at home, he probably will kill a lot more people than the chemical attack at this point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Were can I find someone actually reporting on this, Europe is busy sleeping.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Going to be strikes on airfields that have already had their Russian overseers moved away.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He called out Russia and Iran as backers of the regime, but he made it sound like the target list is limited to chemical weapons infrastructure (though he kind of hinted it might not be one and done), and still indicated he'd like to withdraw from the country.

The Pentagon's going to have a briefing at 10, so it'll be interesting to see if they'll say the strikes are completed at that point or if this is going to be an ongoing thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 14, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Explosions being reported in Damascus, so they're well underway.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Were can I find someone actually reporting on this, Europe is busy sleeping.

I’m sure as poo poo not!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

He called out Russia and Iran as backers of the regime, but he made it sound like the target list is limited to chemical weapons infrastructure (though he kind of hinted it might not be one and done), and still indicated he'd like to withdraw from the country.

The Pentagon's going to have a briefing at 10, so it'll be interesting to see if they'll say the strikes are completed at that point or if this is going to be an ongoing thing.

he barely called out russia. he basically did "i am disappointed in you but daddy loves you" with them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I’m sure as poo poo not!

Me neither, that's my problem! :mad:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Time to see if my :10bux: bet on Russia getting warned beforehand stands!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So wait are they really firing on Damascus itself? :stare:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Early reports suggest we're hitting command and control centers in Damascus, so probably not just CW infrastructure.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/jcartillier/status/984961393018441728?s=21

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/984963024837578752

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Requesting visuals (hopefully by morning)

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

pro starcraft loser posted:

Going to be strikes on airfields that have already had their Russian overseers moved away.

Well...gently caress.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

We're using drones in formation to do most of the bombing. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this has ever happened. No human pilots are in danger.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

We're using drones in formation to do most of the bombing. I'm pretty sure this is the first time this has ever happened. No human pilots are in danger.

Oh word?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/984962340583038977

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I thought it was all Tomahawks being fired from the Mediterranean?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Guess we'll find out if the S-400 is worth a poo poo at missile defense. My guess is no. That's not a knock on the Russians--we suck at it too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait so Russia's declaring war?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Firing at the missiles, not at us.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

i dont think shooting down missiles with your own missiles is an act of war

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I thought it was all Tomahawks being fired from the Mediterranean?

I'm pretty sure there are drones involved also but the twitter I got it from may be making poo poo up whole-cloth

https://twitter.com/arturaskerelis/status/984967157934116865

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Russia said they'd only target missile launchers (ships) if the Russian forces were targeted by the strikes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Guess we'll find out if the S-400 is worth a poo poo at missile defense. My guess is no. That's not a knock on the Russians--we suck at it too.

Cruise missile defense is not the same thing as ballistic missile defense. Modern cruise missiles at essentially just unmanned aircraft that fly at extremely low altitudes. It's especially easy with tomahawks since they fly slower than the speed of sound. The main difficulty is with target acquisition because of their low altitude and ability to hide behind terrain features.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Firing at the missiles, not at us.
Sorry brain thinking too fast

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

To specify, no human pilots in us/uk/fr force

Trabisnikof posted:

I wouldn’t use public flight trackers for military operations.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/984965348070973440?s=20

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

However this ends up, Assad's a loving moron for pushing the line until he got this response, though I still think Trump very possibly was the catalyst when he abruptly started talking about withdrawal.

Grapplejack posted:

To specify, no human pilots in us/uk/fr force

What about the reports of RAF planes taking off from Cyprus?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

I'm pretty sure there are drones involved also but the twitter I got it from may be making poo poo up whole-cloth

https://twitter.com/arturaskerelis/status/984967157934116865

why not just blow up the palace and kill assad/family/officers. that would at least be more effective.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/984966498497318912

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
How long will it take to capture Damascus? 2 days
Will Assad be killed? Yes
Total Syrian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Syria: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the SAA regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Assad launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Assad launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Assad sacrifice Damascus (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Turkey do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Assad burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Syria? ~15 years
Will the Syria war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sinteres posted:

However this ends up, Assad's a loving moron for pushing the line until he got this response, though I still think Trump very possibly was the catalyst when he abruptly started talking about withdrawal.

probably. trump is looking for a quick "wag the dog" so he can get a boost from being a corrupt monster at home. outside the chudsphere. its not working so far.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

God drat that rear end in a top hat and his meme house.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Too soon for i told you all so?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/VeraMBergen/status/984967067995602945

:ohdear:

LeoMarr posted:

Too soon for i told you all so?

Didn't take long for you to start stroking your war boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/arturaskerelis/status/984968539604955137