Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Any news on the union conflicts in Denmark? I live in Iceland now so I'm a bit isolated from that sphere.

It's been put on hold for 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

Any news on the union conflicts in Denmark? I live in Iceland now so I'm a bit isolated from that sphere.
Several hospitals have asked to be exempt from the lockout, because they don’t have enough regular staff to meet the minimum mandated levels for emergency staffing. (Day to day staffing is handled with temps and overtime).

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Lockout and strike postponed by 14 days, so should start the strike the 20th and the lockout around the 22th. If the deals arent made by then that is.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I have no faith at all that they won't gently caress over the public sector employees just like they did the teachers and the general practice doctors last time. They'll end up delaying the strike for 4 weeks total and then they'll do a government intervention to completely favor the government. After all, election can wait until next year.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Struensee posted:

I have no faith at all that they won't gently caress over the public sector employees just like they did the teachers and the general practice doctors last time. They'll end up delaying the strike for 4 weeks total and then they'll do a government intervention to completely favor the government. After all, election can wait until next year.

And they have social democratic (and DF) backing to do this. Both may posture in the media, but will more than happy to let the current government take the primary blame for the intervention. The "Danish Model" is dead when it comes to the public sector. They might as well end the charade already.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm really worried about Arbetsförmedlingen, it's almost been completely dismantled where I live and they're kinda the only ones who have any form of obligation to do anything. Any privatized "equivalent" isn't going to lift a finger for someone like me, except the middle one.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MiddleOne posted:

The problem is when the customer mindset seeps into the goal-structure. A defining feature of businesses is that they choose their own clients, outside of discrimination laws you can deny and obstruct service for almost any reason. Companies have no obligation to service anyone and if run well will in fact strive to drive away less profitable/unprofitable customers because it's a core function of making their organizational form sustainable. They provide a service or product for a profitable consumer segment. Think for instance of how banks have been actively striving for years to lose their older cash-clients. They're specifically targeting this one customer segment with actions to drive them away. Or how many bars chase away the non-functioning alcoholics through dress-codes, because they drive away other bigger and more lucrative consumer groups.

Public institutions for the most part don't sell things, they provide things and they do so because the law obligates them. Cash-incomes are completely divorced from cash-outflows, they have no strict causal relationship. You can be overfunded one year and underfunded the next on completely arbitrary decisions you have no control over. This is why if you start looking at the government like one big corporation that has to be ran profitably then you're going to start making a lot of irrational decisions. See for instance how Försäkringskassan has been run with the mandate of having an average of 9 sick-days this term, that's a cost-cutting goal. If Försäkringskassan starts thinking of its beneficiaries as customers then the conclusion they're going to draw very quickly is that they need to drive away the sick-people, because they are all unprofitable. In fact, for Försäkringskassan the most profitable things would be that all the sick-people go somewhere else (like Arbetsförmedlingen) because then Försäkringskassan runs a surplus on its expenses for the year. Then when their budget get cuts the next year they get to drive away even more people, because under the assigned goal being effective is driving away beneficiary's, not helping them.

Public schools are another great example. What is the defining difference between public and private schools under our current system? That private schools orient themselves into positions were they're more easily able to reject 'cost-leading clients'. Because you see with schools someone actually realized that the set-budget vs customers conflict could never work when organizations were supposed to compete, so then they created a new even worse incentive problem with Skolpengen. School incomes are now directly tied to their 'customers', so it's no wonder that just like the banks private schools do everything in their power to drive away and lock-out loss-leading consumer segments like kids with disabilities or the children of lowly educated parents. Here the public schools, who are also now competing under the new system, gets the lower end of the stick by having legal obligations to meet the full demands of the 'market' and get all the loss-leading students which they unlike private schools cannot deny.

The difference between a customer and being a beneficiary of a legal right is the world when speaking in terms of how the organization you're interacting with is to be ran. Public institutions when ran like private ones quickly become irrational and in-effective, because they're organizational framework and purpose is fundamentally different.

This is a good post that deserves quoting.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I do research in (among other things) the area of public management, and it's astounding how much have been lost with the implementation of NPM. Everyone summed it up great here, I'll just add that recently the original 'inventors' of NPM, went out and said that it was a big mistake. What they hope'd for was to make the quality of the public services higher, but the price of those services lower. What actually happened was that the quality got lower and the price got higher. Ooops, our bad! They suggested some franken-monstrocity in it's place, which doubtlessly will just make things worse, but at least the anject failure of NPM is obvious even to them. Meanwhile, NPM structures are continuing to be implemented everywhere in the public sector at full force. Also, we can't afford anything in the public sector anymore, despite as a society, never having been richer. It's a completely unsolvable conundrum and nothing can be done about it, except keep dismantling the welfare state. Yep, nothing to do be done.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

It is almost like established methodologies such as Lean Six Sigma in the automotive industry and so on are not easily transferable to other fields such as public service without heavy modifications and testing.
Who could have known?
Not our politicians, who like being progressive and adopting "succesful" methods since it is the "future" and they are rarely held to account for stuff like this.
Blaming the decline of the welfare state on this is probably a little bit over the top.

That said, in an international perspective Swedish bureaucracy is rather efficient and fast.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is a common fallacy everywhere, not just the public sector. People latch on to ideas and methods and point at previous successful applications as an argument without thinking about why they were successful in those cases.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Thread appropriate entertainment. Terrible Danish wrong thinkers heckle Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11YJaE51Zxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0TmH_PMTIY

If anyone can explain what a "Based Danish" is, that would be great. Disclaimer, don't know who the memeson character is, just figured streaming would be blocked for dirty foreigners for content on dr.dk. Sorry to SplitSoul in advance, perhaps you can post some of Spang heckling the right wing in response, so we have equality of outcome?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Rnr posted:

If anyone can explain what a "Based Danish" is, that would be great. Disclaimer, don't know who the memeson character is, just figured streaming would be blocked for dirty foreigners for content on dr.dk. Sorry to SplitSoul in advance, perhaps you can post some of Spang heckling the right wing in response, so we have equality of outcome?

A Nigerian neighbor of mine stole my bike a few years ago when I was living in the dorms, and a friend of mine saw him with it, but neither of us knew his name. I included this in my police report, and when I got a copy of it in the mail, it had been changed to "a foreign man."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jonathan Spang er en omvandrende sæk lort. Ingen nærmere forklaring behøves.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
In Danish industrial relations news, the director of KL (that is the day-to-day manager of all the danish municipalities, about 500.000 employees) said, in a direct attack on 'the danish model', that 'Hvis det her kommer til en konflikt, bliver det så voldsomt, at man er nødt til at forhindre, at det sker igen.'. That's the part right-wing assholes usually don't say out loud (except Claus Hjort who 'accidentally' let it slip once as well). Literally wanting to get rid of the most efficient and admired labour relations system in the world, because of lovely ideology and short term 'profits'. They also recently started spinning the narraive about how they're gonna spend all the money they're gonna 'save' on the conflict, ignoring that the conflict will be incredibly expensive for the society as a whole, upwards 1 billion kroner a day (meanwhile, leaked document shows that it's about 1.3 billion that currently separates the two sides of the negotiations) and that the vast, vast, majority of 'work' will still have to be done (and paid for) after the conflict.

The people I know who are semi-involved says that it's looking less and less likely, but maybe complete hopelessness is what will drive it home.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

Jonathan Spang er en omvandrende sæk lort. Ingen nærmere forklaring behøves.

He's Pia Kjærsgaard's favourite comedian for some reason. :thunk:

I watched a single episode on a friend's suggestion, it felt like there had to be a set amount of airtime dedicated to bashing the perceived "left" and "right" positions. Something about Morten Messerschmidt adlibbing a bit about a suicide-bomber at the benefits office that they then played out in costume. Hilarious.

We can take solace in the fact that DR will be gutted soon, even if we can no longer avoid paying for it. Motherfucker gonna be replaced by Midsomer Murders re-runs.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Don't be such touchy nannies. If you can't make fun of, and mock, stupid poo poo, even your own stupid poo poo, you're for sure leading more hard and bitter lives than strictly necessary.

Also, re: the gutting of DR - not bloody enough in my eyes. It has become a bloated, middle management heavy, spend-this-years-budget-or-it-will-be-cut type of organization. Needs to be cut down to be revitalized. Kindly stop sending vile poo poo like x-factor using tax money, for instance...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rnr posted:

Needs to be cut down to be revitalized. Kindly stop sending vile poo poo like x-factor using tax money, for instance...
Limit all productions to Mandrilaftalen levels. 1 day of writing, 1 day of shooting and editing, budget so low the stars have to bring their own stuff for props.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Limit all productions to Mandrilaftalen levels. 1 day of writing, 1 day of shooting and editing, budget so low the stars have to bring their own stuff for props.

24/7 of vildere klovn! Vildere!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rnr posted:

Don't be such touchy nannies. If you can't make fun of, and mock, stupid poo poo, even your own stupid poo poo, you're for sure leading more hard and bitter lives than strictly necessary.

Sorry, bruh, if I wanted to subject myself to garbage far-right talking points dressed up in embarrassing theatrics I'd start reading Berlingske Blogs. :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pastry for Prez (of DR)

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Rnr posted:

Is that what passes for humor in Denmark?

Now in all seriousness is this how Danes really see Sweden, like in general? On that 2nd video, someone clearly wasn't reading Swedish newspapers at all when that verdict was given center stage in the national media machine, or what followed for those two jurors. The reactions he's describing are completely alien to anyone who followed the whole thing.

I guess the filter bubble is a real thing, I'm just surprised is all. I get that some dumb hungarian or american could get it wrong but you'd think a Dane would benefit from proximity.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rnr posted:

Nah that’s totally ok, the problem is when it leads to re-centering. Same as having a climate change scientist on one side and a sitting us congressman nut job denier on the other, then giving them equal importance.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rnr posted:

The first video almost works as satire of Denmark - but the second one is legit tonally compatible with the pop culture of Nazi America in the newest Wolfenstein. Which I suppose is appropriate, given that it was made by Swedes.

I think based in this context basically means "In tune with 4chan"/"honorary 4channer".

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The first video almost works as satire of Denmark - but the second one is legit tonally compatible with the pop culture of Nazi America in the newest Wolfenstein. Which I suppose is appropriate, given that it was made by Swedes.

I think based in this context basically means "In tune with 4chan"/"honorary 4channer".

That second vid's gotta be made by a dane, unless the guy is a swede speaking danish. Or am I missing something here?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Is that what passes for humor in Denmark?

Now in all seriousness is this how Danes really see Sweden, like in general? On that 2nd video, someone clearly wasn't reading Swedish newspapers at all when that verdict was given center stage in the national media machine, or what followed for those two jurors. The reactions he's describing are completely alien to anyone who followed the whole thing.

I guess the filter bubble is a real thing, I'm just surprised is all. I get that some dumb hungarian or american could get it wrong but you'd think a Dane would benefit from proximity.

You know how we used to say "American conditions" a lot to describe some social ill? "Swedish conditions" is the phrase du jour, alluding to the increasingly mainstream image of Sweden as the creeping feminazi rape-sharia juggernaut that threatens to doom us all. Right-wing commentators have been pounding that poo poo out at lightning speed for something like ten years now. They all orgasmed collectively a year ago. I mentioned Berlingske Blogs specifically because sometimes you could play three-in-a-row for "SWEDEN HAS FALLEN"-headlines, and this has been the case for years.

You're forgetting, this is the place where people like Dan Park are treated like royalty.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

That second vid's gotta be made by a dane, unless the guy is a swede speaking danish. Or am I missing something here?
What I mean is, Swedes don't have to look far for inspiration...

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Well, I think you're right in one aspect at least, the general consensus in Denmark has shifted a lot to the right in the last 15 years. And I have no illusions that my political leanings aren't very much out of tune with the mean in this thread, which I see as very left leaning (I read the last five pages to see if those videos had been posted and that's what I base that on, so might not be 100% accurate). One of the reasons Denmark has moved to the right, as I see it, were the left's unwillingness to own up to their own failed ideas around immigration and integration. To their credit a lot of the left has gradually admitted error and begun pushing legislation that corresponds what their constituent's desire.

I get that you might think that an issue, such as the pamphlet around child brides, is not representative of the way integration policy in Sweden works, or reflects accurately on the non-western immigrants in Sweden. That's fair enough. What worries me if the left cannot admit such a pamphlet in and of itself is a problem, and it worries me that it is in any way offensive (its not humor!/the comedian is a poo poo person!/the comedy is badly done!) to mock it. While there are certainly other issues to cast a light on, such as Løkke pushing for US missile strikes in Syria based on literally 0 credible evidence of a gas attack, it is still okay, in my book at least, to point out stupidity such as the before mentioned pamphlet when it rears its ugly head.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah it seems like one party rushes in to have an opinion and the other side takes the opposite stance just because. They are for that, so we must be against it! They are against that so we must naturally be for it! If it's something inconvenient they just pretend it doesn't exist.

The Swedish riksdag.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 13, 2018

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yes yes, it's the same old, "People called Pia Kjærsgaard a racist* in the '90s, that's why the people who have been continuously in charge ever since feel compelled to actively dismantle the ECHR and institute apartheid, no no, trust me, I myself am a leftist." As if that label has any meaning in Denmark anymore. Nobody has ever claimed that immigration is problem-free. The most sweeping change to immigration law in Danish history was instituted by the Social Democrats, years before the party decided May 1st was the most opportune time to propose concentration camps for refugees, the specific kind of camp that for some time had been associated in the media with rape, child abuse and self-immolation. It's a long-running viral fiction that no measures were taken back then, but what is apparent is that the Liberals have been actively sabotaging all previous efforts since 2001 (as described by, for example, Brixtofte before he shuffled off to the big wine cellar in the sky). Literally every single election since has been about immigration. What headway has been made in spite of that has been roundly ignored at every turn.

It's blindingly obvious that anyone who would campaign seriously on not taking a wrecking ball to the welfare state could reap the rewards, but the decades of incessant, neurotic hand-wringing and self-flagellation of your ilk is what now drives them to try to compete with the reigning champions of race baiting. Meanwhile, the man personally responsible for the most expensive, disastrous policy in the history of the country, a man with all the personality and gravitas of a used car salesman, a man who defrauded someone before he was of legal age, has been given carte blanche on every other issue.

* Some seven years after attending a WACL conference for neo-nazis, Latin American death squad commanders and the guy who gave Josef loving Mengele asylum, she founded the Danish People's Party. At the time she was of the opinion that integration was a non-starter and everyone without Danish heritage should be deported. 1:1 what the Party of the Danes were suggesting after shelving their swastikas. So yeah, she was called a racist, and rightly so. She even has the word of the Supreme Court on that (re: Karen Sunds defamation case).

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Rnr posted:

I get that you might think that an issue, such as the pamphlet around child brides, is not representative of the way integration policy in Sweden works, or reflects accurately on the non-western immigrants in Sweden. That's fair enough. What worries me if the left cannot admit such a pamphlet in and of itself is a problem, and it worries me that it is in any way offensive (its not humor!/the comedian is a poo poo person!/the comedy is badly done!) to mock it. While there are certainly other issues to cast a light on, such as Løkke pushing for US missile strikes in Syria based on literally 0 credible evidence of a gas attack, it is still okay, in my book at least, to point out stupidity such as the before mentioned pamphlet when it rears its ugly head.
It seems you hear only half truths. You hear that "in Sweden some jurors passed an absurd Islam related sentence", or "in Sweden they distribute pamphlets about child marriage", but you seem to have missed that both those things were unilaterally condemned and had consequences, such as those "jurors" never working again and being thrown out on their rear end from their party. The internal outrage about those things is in fact the reason why international media could pick it up, but apparently that little piece of information was deemed irrelevant, or even twisted into some kind of evidence of normalcy.

Maybe the real reason people don't laugh with that guy is that he's painfully unfunny? :shrug:

"hurr did you know in Sweden they say 'hen' and think you mustn't describe a suspect's skin color"

I mean, I guess it could work as satire of Denmark's insane view Sweden...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Danish collective abhors the Swede and pities the Norwegian.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

THE BAR posted:

The Danish collective abhors the Swede and pities the Norwegian.

As a Canadian recently moved to Denmark, the above checks out 110%. The level of casual dislike for Swedes here is actually shocking. Not joking.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

Mooey Cow posted:

It seems you hear only half truths. You hear that "in Sweden some jurors passed an absurd Islam related sentence", or "in Sweden they distribute pamphlets about child marriage", but you seem to have missed that both those things were unilaterally condemned and had consequences, such as...
[...]
Maybe the real reason people don't laugh with that guy is that he's painfully unfunny? :shrug:

Really? I really tried to express that I knew incidents like those were not the normal in Sweden. Guess I failed at that. They don't come from nothing though, which should be acknowledged as well.

The point is, people are laughing along with sketches like that, I found the original videos on YouTube and Facebook and they get a lot of positive response, including from Swedes it seems.

Nationalism seems to be on the rise in Scandinavia, for better or worse...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

As a Canadian recently moved to Denmark, the above checks out 110%. The level of casual dislike for Swedes here is actually shocking. Not joking.

It's a cultural thing, obviously, but don't see it as everyone here wanting to string up Swedes if they could! The three of us are properly the most "brotherly" countries you can find, in the sense of the word.

We've just been through too many wars together not to have these small jabs ingrained in our collective minds.

Rnr posted:

Nationalism seems to be on the rise in Scandinavia, for better or worse...

When has Nationalism ever been a force of good?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

THE BAR posted:

When has Nationalism ever been a force of good?
When it tore down empires.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Rust Martialis posted:

To be fair, sarcasm and irony make up more than half of everything Danes say.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When it tore down empires.

And now we have Macron. Look where that got us.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

This is a common fallacy everywhere, not just the public sector. People latch on to ideas and methods and point at previous successful applications as an argument without thinking about why they were successful in those cases.

Absolutely, this is an important point. Lots of private enterprises get gunked up by internal politics, cargo-culting and poorly chosen processes/structures. In fact, I'd argue it's the norm that succesful, large, private companies wither and either die, or have a near-death experience, due to this kind of mismanagement. But in the private sector such companies eventually get overtaken, replaced, broken down or revitalized. It is far from a perfect process and often the lingering power of such organizations let them stay in business due to market manipulation, market barriers of entry, corruption, or abuse of assymetrical power structure - but eventually technology, society and/or market forces bring them down.

That doesn't work with public healthcare, tax administration, etc. There is no external market acting upon them, and the services rendered are rarely made obsolete by technology. I can't think of a solution to this, but I do know that NPM makes it worse. NPM is basically cargo-culting a corporate culture which even in it's original form is of questionable efficiency and viability. I don't see any non-populist solution proposed by left or right. Maybe technological progress will save us.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

http://www.gp.se/ledare/cwejman-maktskifte-kan-bli-verklighet-i-g%F6teborg-1.5643302

Holy gently caress.
Seems like this years election will be messy on so many levels.

Rumors has it that S internal polling is horrible, which explains a bunch of the stuff they and LO have said the last couple of weeks.

Time to start election chat?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
SD is going to score 20-25%, if they fail to do so I will record myself reading a choice selection of Heinz Hynkel posts and post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Retarded Goatee posted:

SD is going to score 20-25%, if they fail to do so I will record myself reading a choice selection of Heinz Hynkel posts and post it here.

Quoting for posterity.

I think something like 16-18% seems more likely imo.

Also, probably an election where we will get a record in votes for parties not in riksdagen. Kd, Mp, Fi and Med all goes here as well as Satanisterna. :v: