Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

For Sykes-Picot, yeah the plan wasn't implemented exactly as written, but no poo poo. The plan promised the same chunks of land to multiple parties, while the French and the British (and loving tzarist Russia for a while) were busy figuring how to gently caress their allies to get the best of the deal.

When people invoke Sykes-Picot, is usually a general sort of "colonial powers sliced and diced an empire, no poo poo there's been problems maybe there's a lesson here", rather than getting into the details. Which is fine. It was a secret plan of conquest behind talk of peace, and we should absolutely be wary of that today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Remind me again why a Kurdistani nation wasn't included in the Versailles peace deal?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Remind me again why a Kurdistani nation wasn't included in the Versailles peace deal?

Because the powers involved didn't give a gently caress who lived where, they only care about the wealth they could extract from the areas they were going to "administrate".

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Libluini posted:

And Germany got another chance to show off how peaceful and changed we are, with multiple instances of us declining in advance to take any part in the strike

That's assuming the bundenswehr actually had the fuel to get the planes in the air in the first place.

This whole thing is just silly posturing, and honestly I can't for the life of me see why anyone would deploy chemical weapons a day and a half before they take a small city. It's not like it was a turning point or anything, Douma was about to fall eitherway. It's most likely assads generals who can't keep their fingers of the button when they think putin has their backs; not to mention they havent gottten punished for Chlorine before to my knowlege.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 14, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

Considering the Douma attack was done by helicopter and involved chlorine gas cylinder, last nights strikes wouldn't have done anything to prevent the Syrian government from doing exactly the same thing again. I expect by the end of the year we'll start seeing fresh credible reports of chemical weapon attacks again, likely chlorine at first.

The Pentagon made it pretty clear during the briefing last night that it wasn't a comprehensive effort to eliminate the regime's capabilities. It was just another "hey don't do that" slap on the wrist. They're probably just hoping Assad's close enough to the finish line that they won't have to do this again in a year.

If Assad does use gas again, my suggestion would be to immediately fire a quick and limited salvo just to show him he doesn't get more rope and we don't revert back to playing the 'I'm only using a little and a bunch of kids didn't die this time so it's okay right?' game with him anymore. Waiting until there's a big crisis again just risks a bigger escalation at that point, which is more dangerous for everyone.

I'd even say the Pentagon should game out that kind of quick response ahead of time, and make sure Russia realizes it's the plan, so they can try to rein in Assad ahead of time. Plus making these responses as automatic as possible might keep Bolton from inserting his ideological goals into the process.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 14, 2018

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Grouchio posted:

There was no Kurdish nation during Ottoman times either. The Ottoman government hated the Kurds as much as Turks hate them. It's not like it was exactly peaceful there for the hundreds fo years before WW1; the Kurds were slaughtering Armenians and all sorts of poo poo was going down for more than a century before WW1. The late-stage Ottoman Empire was garbage and evil and it went downhill for a lonnnng time before its final collapse.

One interesting book to read would be "Nineveh and Its Remains" which, although mostly about archaeology, has quite a few good first-hand accounts of Yazidis and Ottomans and Kurds and Amernians in the environs of Mosul in the 1850s (±300 km; he travels around a fair bit while the excavations are ongoing).

E: Here are the internal borders of the Ottoman Empire pre-WW1 https://geopoliticalfutures.com/ottoman-empire-borders-versus-modern-day-borders/

You'll notice there's absolutely no Kurdish nation there either!

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 14, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

That's assuming the bundenswehr actually had the fuel to get the planes in the air in the first place.

The Bundeswehr already has planes and poo poo down there, we're just not bombing.

Earlier this year it looked like all our Einsätze got lengthened, some even grew in scope. We're just lucky that Merkel isn't tweeting our plans to the entire world, or more people would knew about our presence in Iraq and Syria. The base for the German units is in Jordan, after relations with Turkey cooled too much in 2017 and our military had to move away from Incirlik.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Grouchio posted:

Versailles only dealt with Germany.

The treaty of Sevres was the dismemberment of the Ottoman Empire, which included a Kurdish homeland. The Turks repudiated it and then won a war against the signatories creating most of the modern borders of Turkey . This war was occasioned by genocides based on ethnic nationalist claims of sovereignty.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

MiddleOne posted:

By orchestrating a situation were every party got to save face?

Like, lets re-cap:
1. Trump gets to act all big and mighty by firing off a 100 Tomahawk missiles and being a big man of action.
2. Putin gets to act all big and mighty by wagging his finger in the UN and showing the Russian people how corrupt the West is (while conveniently not losing any assets or people due to getting warned by the US days beforehand).
3. Assad gets to act all big and mighty by showing how his 'mighty' military survived the assault unscathed (due to getting tipped off by Russia) and gets to galvanize more people into liking him by him virtue of not being the guy who just made Tomahawk missiles rain down upon Damascus in the middle of the night.

Like, I don't see how this could have played out better for any of the parties if we're just looking at it from a domestic PR angle. Everyone gets to walk away claiming to their own sycophants that 'this was totally a win guys'.

I have to say I wasn't expecting that but I should have. "Art of the Deal" right?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

Because the Treaty of Versailles didn't involve the Ottoman Empire, and even if it had, the Ottoman Empire was still allowed to exist for quite a while after the war. There was no room for enforcing a division of any sort in 1919.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

For your reading pleasure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Turks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_genocide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Sèvres
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_War_of_Independence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lausanne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustafa_Kemal_Atatürk

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/985147012675964928

Looks like the Russians, rather unsurprisingly, didn't even bother to turn their radars on.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Looks like the Russians, rather unsurprisingly, didn't even bother to turn their radars on.

If they did, all sorts of valuable electronic data could have been collected on how the top end russian systems work- they won't be turned on unless they really mean business.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Have the Russians ever turned on the tracking radar of an S400 system outside of Russia where NATO/Israel could get a clean read of it's signature?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cerebral Bore posted:

Why not? They blew up some empty buildings so our glorious leaders of the free world can look tough without actually doing anything significant. Makes perfect sense to me.

Would you have rather seen nuclear brinkmanship pushed to a new level?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If they launched SAMs, they probably did actually turn on the RADARs to do it. I doubt they just started lobbing unguided SAMs like ridiculously expensive bottlerockets for the hell of it. After all, they definitely attempted to shoot down the tomahawks last time this happened with some limited success.

These may not have been old tomahawks this time around - and the JASSM is a pretty modern missile built to be low observable to hit targets defended by modern air defenses. They may have legitimately avoided detection on the way in with the storm of SAM launches afterwards being a Hail-Mary attempt to shoot anything that looked a bit like a missile on the scope.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Count Roland posted:

For Sykes-Picot, yeah the plan wasn't implemented exactly as written, but no poo poo. The plan promised the same chunks of land to multiple parties, while the French and the British (and loving tzarist Russia for a while) were busy figuring how to gently caress their allies to get the best of the deal.

When people invoke Sykes-Picot, is usually a general sort of "colonial powers sliced and diced an empire, no poo poo there's been problems maybe there's a lesson here", rather than getting into the details. Which is fine. It was a secret plan of conquest behind talk of peace, and we should absolutely be wary of that today.

The invocations often have much more sinister motivations -- if you assume the borders are arbitrary and bad, then it follows there is no problem with the United States or somebody else redrawing them. This of course was one of the reasons IS liked bringing them up.

Sykes-Picot is often used as a synecdoche for all the ills of colonialism. That it was never implemented in any form, much less as written, is dismissed is because what people really mean is that Britain and France are somehow to blame for the modern conflict.

It's not like France and Britain don't share any of the blame, but objectively they just weren't responsible for most of the ills that people want to blame on them. France did not put Alawites in charge of the Syrian military. the borders between Syria, Iraq, and Turkey were determined through the machinations of Arab and Turkish leaders as much as those of Europeans. Historically the blaming Sykes-Picot for much of anything doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Politically, it's a way for Americans and Arabs to blame Europeans for problems of their own creation.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Warbadger posted:

If they launched SAMs, they probably did actually turn on the RADARs to do it. I doubt they just started lobbing unguided SAMs like ridiculously expensive bottlerockets for the hell of it. After all, they definitely attempted to shoot down the tomahawks last time this happened with some limited success.

Even unguided missiles look pretty badass, I think it would make sense to launch a few for the sake of PR even if they weren't capable or were too late to intercept anything

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

Even unguided missiles look pretty badass, I think it would make sense to launch a few for the sake of PR even if they weren't capable or were too late to intercept anything

Where was Brian Williams to comment on this?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Where was Brian Williams to comment on this?
Banned from news anchoring.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys did I miss anything? No? Ok.

While I should’ve reworded my prediction, in effect it’s the same result.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Warbadger posted:

These may not have been old tomahawks this time around - and the JASSM is a pretty modern missile built to be low observable to hit targets defended by modern air defenses. They may have legitimately avoided detection on the way in with the storm of SAM launches afterwards being a Hail-Mary attempt to shoot anything that looked a bit like a missile on the scope.
The Syrians launched, and may have actually intercepted some stuff. Launching SAMs without guidance is a thing that happens though. It's good for morale to shoot at something when you're being bombed.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

Your post, apart from being incredibly pathetic and showing once again that you're a massive oval office, was entirely wrong though?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

TheRat posted:

Your post, apart from being incredibly pathetic and showing once again that you're a massive oval office, was entirely wrong though?

how was it pathetic and wrong? I was wrong in the sense that a strike did happen, but I was right in the sense that it was a meaningless gesture.

Why was I a oval office? for giving a prediction?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

OH BOY SOME POINTLESS BOMBINGS THAT ONLY SERVED TO ACT AS THEATER AND FURTHER CAUSE DESTRUCTION!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

OH BOY SOME POINTLESS BOMBINGS THAT ONLY SERVED TO ACT AS THEATER AND FURTHER CAUSE DESTRUCTION!

yeah exactly.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BarzanSadiq/status/985244146733547522

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

this is absolutely Israel, which means Assad and Iran will stay silent about this. It's clear from the very beginning that the whole point is never to actually get rid of assad, it's to have it be in a constant state of weakness and misery while preventing Iran from making a solid foothold there.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Al-Saqr posted:

this is absolutely Israel, which means Assad and Iran will stay silent about this. It's clear from the very beginning that the whole point is never to actually get rid of assad, it's to have it be in a constant state of weakness and misery while preventing Iran from making a solid foothold there.

If that's the idea wouldn't just deposing Assad and arranging for the Sunni Syrians to take over be a better plan? I mean it would probably be bad from a humanitarian standpoint but when has that stopped governments

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Moatman posted:

If that's the idea wouldn't just deposing Assad and arranging for the Sunni Syrians to take over be a better plan? I mean it would probably be bad from a humanitarian standpoint but when has that stopped governments
A neverending meat grinder where Hezbollah and Quds Force go to die is a great thing if you're Israel.

Also I wouldn't just assume an ammo depot exploding is Israel. Those tend to explode on a fairly regular basis without any outside help.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A neverending meat grinder where Hezbollah and Quds Force go to die is a great thing if you're Israel.

Also I wouldn't just assume an ammo depot exploding is Israel. Those tend to explode on a fairly regular basis without any outside help.

Alternatively somebody parked a drone with an incendiary grenade over it and got lucky.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
how depleted are iranian and hezbollah forces at this point?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
I just wish commentators would understand that there is basically no parity between US forces and any other uniformed military on the planet. Like, it is so loving dangerous to have Syrians and Iranians talking about how they are ready to resist an american attack. Twitter people are very delusional and it will lead to brinkmanship and bravado.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's some before and after images of the locations hit in the airstrikes:
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/985275345279635458

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

I think people should take into consideration that al-Saqr has had close friends of his tortured to death by the Syrian government before they condemn his anger & aggressive language.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Sergg posted:

I think people should take into consideration that al-Saqr has had close friends of his tortured to death by the Syrian government before they condemn his anger & aggressive language.

no, clearly me, an american marxist, is more effected

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Even if we had an Alawite living in Latakia willing to post in this thread, if that Alawite's innocent civilian friends/family had been boiled alive by al-Nusra when they overran Idlib, you should at least make an effort to understand his rage and pain when reading his pro-Assad posts.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
There is also something to be said to the fact the rebels are by and large working class or lower, the regime are literally the top strata of Syrian society, I feel like not enough western leftists acknowledge that.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

We used to have a very pro-Assad poster in here from Iran who was kind of a drunkard and would make all sorts of bombastic statements about how he couldn't wait for all those treacherous Sunni fanatics to have their skin peeled off and be dumped in a ditch and Brown Moses eventually banned him for his raging murder boner, but TBH I think we should make an exception for actual Middle-Eastern posters who live this war, because they provide valuable insight into the minds of those engaged in these conflicts. As it stands us white people have chased out almost every Middle-Eastern poster from this thread except for a few Kurdish ones and al-Saqr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

HorrificExistence posted:

There is also something to be said to the fact the rebels are by and large working class or lower, the regime are literally the top strata of Syrian society, I feel like not enough western leftists acknowledge that.

100% agreed. I've said multiple times in this thread that Syria is essentially an Alawite-Power state, an Apartheid regime, if you will, where resources and jobs are directed from the top down through patronage networks that disproportionately favor a small minority group. Many Sunni officers living in Damascus have giant Assad banners hanging everywhere in their homes to avoid suspicion & are afraid to drive outside their neighborhood in plain clothes for fear that SAA or Shabiha who don't recognize them will stop them at a checkpoint and detain them just for being Sunni. That series of interviews was written awhile ago when Assad was more on the ropes so I don't know if things have relaxed at all since then.