Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In watching Cohh's stream, I do wonder when Assaults start showing up in the campaign. Difficulty 4+?

It does feel like you'll need mods if you want to do the "just some mercs running around on a shoestring budget" thing and just stay with the leopard since access to contracts outside of the first 4 systems are locked until you hit a main campaign milestone.

Living that particular BT fantasy does however cut you off from a decent chunk of the game's features. (Though the really ridiculous fantasy is a small merc company managing to stay solvent while owning a Leopard.)

Though the odds of someone trying to figure out how to mod in a mercenary HQ/landhold system to replace the Argo are high. Megamek and mekhq exist because of fans, same with MWLL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've got this pipedream mod idea where its an open sandbox with no-plot and instead of the Leopard or the Argo you've got a Union with modest tech/med points, 2 mech bays (12 berths), and maybe some Argo style upgrade trees, for a nice middle ground between "poo poo nobody" and "Special Snowflake Boondoggle". I suspect an open sandbox campaign with no story missions is something we'll be able to mod in, but I doubt replacing the Leopard with a Union (graphically at least) is plausible. I'm at least going to poke around files to look into it however.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xarbala posted:

Living that particular BT fantasy does however cut you off from a decent chunk of the game's features. (Though the really ridiculous fantasy is a small merc company managing to stay solvent while owning a Leopard.)

Just speculation on the story mode, but it's possible the leopard is owned by the royalty you're working for and will be sold after the games events. With fuel and maintenance and poo poo covered by your employer it isn't that big of a stretch, especially if they already had it. That said my knowledge of the story mode is the first couple of YouTube videos cohh played

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Xarbala posted:

(Though the really ridiculous fantasy is a small merc company managing to stay solvent while owning a Leopard.)

I mean from watching Cohh's stuff the story answer is: they don't, and the early story is all about being in hock up to your eyeballs looking for a get rich quick scheme to escape debt

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So hey guys how many more days?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Internet Explorer posted:

So hey guys how many more days?

10.too much days

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
My favorite memory of :pgi: was the Transverse crowd-funding debacle.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

You mean furryverse? God what train wreck.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xarbala posted:

In watching Cohh's stream, I do wonder when Assaults start showing up in the campaign. Difficulty 4+?

It does feel like you'll need mods if you want to do the "just some mercs running around on a shoestring budget" thing and just stay with the leopard since access to contracts outside of the first 4 systems are locked until you hit a main campaign milestone.

Though the odds of someone trying to figure out how to mod in a mercenary HQ/landhold system to replace the Argo are high. Megamek and mekhq exist because of fans, same with MWLL.

I might be wrong but I thought that SideStrafe ran into assaults, he got up to 3-3.5 skull missions IIRC, and there are some missions which intentionally spawn 'higher level' units which would have been the equivalent of a regular 4-4.5 mission.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Finster Dexter posted:

My favorite memory of :pgi: was the Transverse crowd-funding debacle.

If I recall correctly, only like 20 or so packs were sold. And even PGI, well known for using Cryengine, said upfront that they weren't going to use Cryengine for a project like that.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Do I even want to know what Transverse is?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Radio Free Kobold posted:

PGI attempted to make a carbon copy of Star Citizen, down to the website design, to start selling preorder spaceships. It was such a blatant hack job cut and paste cash grab even the most ardent PGI defenders were like "woah hang on..."

It crashed and burned pretty fast and they promised to focus on MWO instead.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Did they get management from EA or something? Actually, considering EA has a campus here in Vancouver and PGI is right downtown that's entirely possible.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

500k to unlock Flight
1mil to unlock Combat

The worlds first true LGBTQI+ friendly MMO

EDIT- My bad, they actually STARTED at the 1mil dollar mark-

Paingod556 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 14, 2018

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

500k to unlock Flight
1mil to unlock Combat

Oh yeah, this isn't a joke, stuff like basic loving gameplay was set up as stretch goals.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Space Skeleton posted:

PGI attempted to make a carbon copy of Star Citizen, down to the website design, to start selling preorder spaceships. It was such a blatant hack job cut and paste cash grab even the most ardent PGI defenders were like "woah hang on..."

It crashed and burned pretty fast and they promised to focus on MWO instead.

And this coming from a userbase that gladly swallowed 500$ golden mechs packages (that was just that: a 500$ golden skin pack for a single mech in a free to play shooty robits game).

I've finally caved and preordered this full price on steam even if there isn't really a good incentive to (preorder only gets you a shadowhawk skin right?). Want to support HBS as I've really enjoyed their SR games.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 14, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That Italian Guy posted:

And this coming from a userbase that gladly swallowed 500$ golden mechs packages (that was just that: a 500$ golden skin pack for a single mech in a free to play shooty robits game).

It came with all the other first wave Clan 'mechs as well, but it's still $500 for making one of them gold.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Anticheese posted:

It came with all the other first wave Clan 'mechs as well, but it's still $500 for making one of them gold.

Couldn't you drop like 50$ (lol) to get Clan mechs unlocked earlier anyway? So you ended up paying the difference to get the golden skin?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

I've finally caved and preordered this full price on steam even if there isn't really a good incentive to (preorder only gets you a shadowhawk skin right?). Want to support HBS as I've really enjoyed their SR games.

You might as well go with GMG and get 20% off and a gundams game for free.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

You might as well go with GMG and get 20% off and a gundams game for free.

Discovered the free robots game too late :D

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Mentioning it on the official forums, even asking the question "What was Transverse?" is a guaranteed instant permaban.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Omar_Comin posted:

Mentioning it on the official forums, even asking the question "What was Transverse?" is a guaranteed instant permaban.
On that note, is PGI still banned from Reddit from the whole Transvesre clusterfuck?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

UberJew posted:

I mean from watching Cohh's stuff the story answer is: they don't, and the early story is all about being in hock up to your eyeballs looking for a get rich quick scheme to escape debt

Pretty much. Not really a spoiler either, since anyone familiar with the game already knows what sort of costs you accrue owning a dropship.

Playing some mekhq now, and have managed to get three dropships. But then I also own 50 mechs and a bunch of vehicles. Contract payment being adjusted to that, along with salvaging, is the only way I am surviving or making a profit.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

https://youtu.be/zvIfi49P4-s

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:stare: I never realized that they were actually going to call it Transverse....I thought that was a joke.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:stare: I never realized that they were actually going to call it Transverse....I thought that was a joke.

Understandable. After all, PGI itself is a giant joke.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

They released a Q&A video after the announcement where they talk about trans-humanism, but basically it boiled to talking furries, furries, and more furries.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Back Hack posted:

They released a Q&A video after the announcement where they talk about trans-humanism, but basically it boiled to talking furries, furries, and more furries.

Well their ideal customer is pretty close to a horse, both in appearance, genetics and intellectual capacity. There might be something here.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Transocean > Transverse. Shame on PGI for thinking they could make a better Trans game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Paingod556 posted:

500k to unlock Flight
1mil to unlock Combat

EDIT- My bad, they actually STARTED at the 1mil dollar mark-

http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/250736/Mechwarrior-Online-Mismanaging-Expectations

I did this a billion years ago but it covers through to the Transverse fiasco with links and images and poo poo. Enjoy.

In :shobon: news somebody asked this morning if a pre-order was a good idea and I let them know I got them a pre-order back in 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, watching Cohh's stream on youtube, there's some great achievements.

It's Just A Flesh Wound! - take off both arms of an enemy Mech
I'm Invincible! - take off both arms and a leg of an enemy Mech

Hmm, what could you get for taking off all four limbs? :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 14, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Magni posted:

Salvage~

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Magni posted:

It's Just A Flesh Wound! - take off both arms of an enemy Mech
I'm Invincible! - take off both arms and a leg of an enemy Mech

Boxing Hellbringer

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only good thing PGI ever did was make flyingdebris' designs canon to Battletech at some level

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
HG's case against HBS dismissed with prejudice.

:toot:

Hawgh fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 15, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Eej posted:

The only good thing PGI ever did was make flyingdebris' designs canon to Battletech at some level

The severed part flies off in an arc!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Noice. I wonder if we might see the unseen mechs in a DLC update? Not having the Warhammer and Marauder available in a Battletech game feels so wrong.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

evilmiera posted:

Pretty much. Not really a spoiler either, since anyone familiar with the game already knows what sort of costs you accrue owning a dropship.

Playing some mekhq now, and have managed to get three dropships. But then I also own 50 mechs and a bunch of vehicles. Contract payment being adjusted to that, along with salvaging, is the only way I am surviving or making a profit.

youre playing battletech right now? HOW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Agrajag posted:

youre playing battletech right now? HOW?

He's playing mekhq, it's an old-as-sin campaign manager for the battletech tabletop game. I think. It's some kind of arcane pseudo-grog battletech-related utility, I know that much.