Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This looks like it's by a different group, perhaps they picked it up to catch up to the anime a bit faster.

SiberOwl does an awesome job with the series but I'm not gonna complain if this new group picks up the pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Oh, and a new Yotsubato!

Koharuko is a nice lady :)

Also lol @ a child's sense of time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Ahhh that was just what I needed :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Newww Shirley

:3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New Bocchi!

Also a new catmanga from a couple days back, been busy.
It's still cute.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 25, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Totally forgot to read this!! Will pull up for when I get home.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

New Bocchi!

Also a new catmanga from a couple days back, been busy.
It's still cute.

I've been reading through Bocchi since this post and my god it is delightful, thank you.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Regarding Yurucamp:

Onean posted:

The chapter of the manga that was the girls' trip to the camping store was just translated, and it includes this little tidbit among the usual bunch of real-world information:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I need to catch up on the anime, because :kimchi:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's really good, and ends at a good point. Super recommended.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Onean posted:

It's really good, and ends at a good point. Super recommended.

Yeah i just haven't really had time to keep up with everything I wanted to.

But.

... Been there.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Found another good one!

Satoko to Nada!

It's a cute page-a-day style webcomic about a japanese exchange student and her roommate at college in the US.
I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and it's been very cute and good the whole time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Found another good one!

Satoko to Nada!

It's a cute page-a-day style webcomic about a japanese exchange student and her roommate at college in the US.
I'm about 1/3 of the way through, and it's been very cute and good the whole time.

That's really cool. It reads much like something based on actual experiences, but the info page in Japanese says it's all fiction? But with an Egyptian journalist as editor.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

nielsm posted:

That's really cool. It reads much like something based on actual experiences, but the info page in Japanese says it's all fiction? But with an Egyptian journalist as editor.

Interesting.
I'm not sure now which it is, I would've thought it's based on real life events as well.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New chapter of food sisters! Cute, as usual.

Just in case I haven't brought it up in this thread before (I checked the last couple months of posts and didn't see it mentioned), but this is Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan, a manga about two new step-sisters getting to know each other and becoming friends through cooking!
It

is

adorable

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Found another good one!

Satoko to Nada!

I really like this one! It's good, seems informed by actual worldly experience / research, and very cute as an international customs and educational story. Good find!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I really like this one! It's good, seems informed by actual worldly experience / research, and very cute as an international customs and educational story. Good find!!

The author is a japanese muslim who translates euro metal albums for a living.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shes cool.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That sounds freaking awesome.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Found another good one!

Satoko to Nada!

Got licensed recently, first volume drops in October.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

fritz posted:

Wuuuut? Awesome! :woop:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New Madoromi! I just realized as I started this that it may belong in the surreal thread because of her horns, but I mean, other than the fact that she has horns (which is never even really touched on extensively), it's just a cute daily life manga.

So.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

fritz posted:

Jesus that was fast. That's pretty excellent.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

New Madoromi! I just realized as I started this that it may belong in the surreal thread because of her horns, but I mean, other than the fact that she has horns (which is never even really touched on extensively), it's just a cute daily life manga.

So.

Read everything available it's very good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a cute little series that I just discovered. It's a story-based 4koma series called Chubby in the Swimming Club, and is about the obese daughter of a tonkatsu shop owner who joins the swimming club at her new high school so she can lose weight so she can be more attractive to the guy she likes, who doesn't like tubby girls. I gave it a half dozen chapters and it did a few things I didn't expect, and seems like a very charming slice of life series. No fanservice so far either, unless the mere existence of swimsuits counts as fanservice. The four characters in the swim club are your standard assortment of quirks, but they're good representations of them. Also, Katsuyo is actually fat, though she's often portrayed in a kinda chibi way, instead of a character just saying she's fat like Yomi from azumanga daioh.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
It's cute :kimchi:

New Satoko & Nada (new-ish).

Including character development! Working out!
... Kinda :3:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This makes me think of the time when I was 11 or 12 and decided it would be fun to have my friend toss me a basketball instead of a baseball to hit with my aluminum baseball bat. He said "not sure if this is a good idea" and I told him to go ahead and do it. The ball went towards my face, I swung the bat at it, and the bat immediately bounced off and smacked me in the face, resulting in a giant black eye (and after getting an x-ray apparently also a hairline fracture to my zygomatic arch).

edit: Everyone in school kept asking me if I had been in a fight afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I notice that a lot of Japanese stuff that covers other cultures (in a positive light) has this sort of "quaint" feel to it, like a children's show in the US that is trying to teach the value of diversity, except aimed at adults. It feels like there's always this unspoken "and wouldn't you believe that people of other races are also human beings and not just stereotypes! isn't that amazing?" sentiment. I guess it's not that strange, seeing as your average Japanese person who has never lived abroad isn't likely to have a very ethnically diverse social life, particularly if they live in some non-Tokyo place. Most Japanese media I've encountered either seems to take this sort of "good-natured but Very Special Episode-esque" approach or takes one that is reactionary and stereotypes different races/ethnic groups. I imagine that the former is probably, at least to some extent, a reaction to living in a (very ethnically homogeneous) society where the latter is very common. Like the strong desire to establish that other ethnic groups are also normal human beings is a reaction to being surrounded by many people who don't realize even that much.

edit: https://mangadex.org/chapter/245927/1 I feel like this comic is kinda missing the point that there are very good and legitimate reasons to not have pictures on resumes, to the point where it should honestly be something legally mandated (as opposed to the current situation where I think it's discouraged due to opening up the possibility of discrimination claims).

https://mangadex.org/chapter/236858/1 Also I feel like this one is sort of crossing the line from "being accepting of other cultures" to "just being incredibly naive about stuff that is totally sexist." Like I'm sure the intentions are good, but you can acknowledge that some things are wrong without casting judgement over an entire culture or religion.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 7, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's hardly a surprise that people who come from a nation of near-zero immigration might not be as used to talking about other people's culture and traditions as people from other countries.

Anyways, there's plenty of value in giving Muslim women a voice in the way that their ridiculously horrible culture treats them, even if that voice is used to make excuses for it. These things tend to go away with education and wealth, and education and wealth come much easier in an environment of acceptance and education about other people.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/253791/1

This page serves as kind of an illustration of that, the author knows perfectly well that this student hears about how lovely her country is all the time, and feels like there's more value in just listening and understanding rather than trying to force other cultures to grow up and conform to our own.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 7, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ChairMaster posted:

Anyways, there's plenty of value in giving Muslim women a voice in the way that their ridiculously horrible culture treats them, even if that voice is used to make excuses for it. These things tend to go away with education and wealth, and education and wealth come much easier in an environment of acceptance and education about other people.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/253791/1

This page serves as kind of an illustration of that, the author knows perfectly well that this student hears about how lovely her country is all the time, and feels like there's more value in just listening and understanding rather than trying to force other cultures to grow up and conform to our own.

I absolutely agree that it's wrong to lecture about or condemn this stuff as a foreigner (at the very least when interacting with someone who actually lives/lived in the country in question) and don't think that the author should have said "they do ____ in some Muslims countries, and that's bad!", but the second comic I posted is definitely portraying Nada's explanation as a "people thought it was about controlling women/sexism, but that's actually a misunderstanding!" sort of thing. You can still be respectful without approving or confirming certain things. It's also worth noting that, from what I understand, the people in this story are not real; it would be one thing if the author was directly quoting her Saudi friend (or was Saudi herself), but if that's not the case it's basically just the author saying this stuff. I know she's Muslim, but that's not really the same thing as living/growing up in a place with the culture in question; it would be like if I, as a Jewish American, were given some sort of authority regarding my opinion on Israeli culture (except that's actually kind of a generous analogy, since there are many different Muslim countries with widely varying cultures).

(I actually like the comic overall, so don't interpret my post as some sort of strong condemnation; it's just something that I thought of while reading it.)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I do like how the comic isn't heavy-handed in anything.
It's a 4-koma, so by necessity it just kinda mentions things and is "eh, actually it's not like that. :shrug: who knew?"

Then it moves on to satoko making curry or whatever.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Yurucamp

Rin has fallen into a rough crowd.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Catching up on all the manga forever. Yurucamp soon.
There was a new chapter of Musuko no Yome at some point, and

Oh poo poo.
It's me!

I have mentioned this manga, right? I can't even remember anymore. Is it even general slice of life? Nothing much really happens, but it kinda has a storyline?
Thoughts?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I'm catching up on hitoribocchi and it's so good

The chapter about waking nako up was purestrain comedy

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I'm catching up on hitoribocchi and it's so good

The chapter about waking nako up was purestrain comedy

Agreed, as exemplified by this, the best panel of anything ever:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Satoko to Nada!
Man I didn't know heaven had a booze river. Jealous.

And ... GREAT MOTHER OF PEARL.
NEW NOMI JOSHI

Looks like the new scanlators skipped 6 or 7 chapters to start working on volume 3, but I'm not super worried since it's an episodic format.
This time, they have a sleepover! With some really delicious sounding food, too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New Hitoribocchi! 10/10 disapproving moms agree, it's great.

Also a new Alcohol is for married couples - cute as always.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A good brief dalliance with Food Manga :3:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Everyone should be defensive about their cake!

I guess it hasn't been mentioned here before, but there's a page-a-day 4koma, Erinna, that I think would fit into this - it's not a slice-of-Japanese-life, but it's a slice-of-life nonetheless.

Erinna is a young girl who is studying at a school run by the great poet Sappho on the isle of Lesbos in ancient Greece (circa 600ish b.c.e.).

It is very cute, and I really like how it actually (lightly) is dealing with overcoming doubts and fears, and there seems to be basic character development in side characters.
I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Everyone should be defensive about their cake!

I guess it hasn't been mentioned here before, but there's a page-a-day 4koma, Erinna, that I think would fit into this - it's not a slice-of-Japanese-life, but it's a slice-of-life nonetheless.

Erinna is a young girl who is studying at a school run by the great poet Sappho on the isle of Lesbos in ancient Greece (circa 600ish b.c.e.).

It is very cute, and I really like how it actually (lightly) is dealing with overcoming doubts and fears, and there seems to be basic character development in side characters.
I highly recommend it.

As a crossover, you should post it in the Historical Manga thread too!!