Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

sassassin posted:

Actual Trowa Barton would never have authorised that kind of colour scheme for Operation Meteor.

Actual Trowa Barton would totally have gone with a giant "Treize is my sister's baby daddy" banner painted on the side.

Best EW design aside from Wing Zero is Tallgeese III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Heavyarms is cool, Heavyarms Custom is cooler, Heavyarms EW is even cooler than that.

But I'm still waiting for my favorite derivative of the line:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Forever mad G-Reco didn't call it the G-Unit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Forever mad G-Reco didn't call it the G-Unit

There was a series called Gundam G-Unit already.

I'm certain that's the only reason Tomino didn't go that route.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
So it looks like we're getting a 00 sequel.

http://g-matome.com/archives/post-52698.html

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Greblin posted:

Is... is that ELS Graham?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Greblin posted:

What? How?! Both the second season and the movie end pretty definitively and lock down the timeline.

edit: Also that Exia is utter garbage; What kind of Exia Gundam doesn't have it's signature switchblade? :colbert:

(I hold the same view of the Amazing and Dark Exias as well, before someone mentions them :colbert::colbert:)

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008
Okay so apparently:

Graham's been revived by the ELS using Setsuna's memories.
He's now joined Celestial Being, and pilots the Exia, and calls it the "Graham Gundam"

Edit: There's also going to be a stage play rendition of the the original TV series (link)

Greblin fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 14, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Looking up info on it, it looks like it was a live drama performance that was just held today. Live Drama sequels are whatever, but man, I would love a kit of that Repair IV, it's got a nice mixture of things I like from the Exia and Quant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Between Space Zombie T-1000 Graham finally getting to marry the Exia, a Tieria for every orientation, and whatever the gently caress is going on with Setsuna, that looks dumb enough to be amazing. :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Heavyarms is cool, Heavyarms Custom is cooler, Heavyarms EW is even cooler than that.

But I'm still waiting for my favorite derivative of the line:

Heavyarms N.D Wolfwood?

Also is that a 00 sequel anime or manga?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What? How?! Both the second season and the movie end pretty definitively and lock down the timeline.

While I agree the show and movie ended pretty definitively with closure for all plotlines the timeline is anything but locked down. A unified human government is setting off in to deep space for the purposes of exploration and/or expansion; there is nothing "locked down" about that, and you can imagine all kinds of possible stories based off that one line description alone. Whether you should or not is another thing, but then, you could say the same about making a sequel to 0079 really. Personally, I've always wanted a sequel to 00 more than any other Gundam and imagined one that was a mix of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Turn-A, with humanity fumbling through first contacts and trying in vain to prevent an escalation of conflict with an alien species. Is this an actual sequel, or just a live action once off thing for funsies in Japan?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Heavyarms N.D Wolfwood?

Also is that a 00 sequel anime or manga?

It's the Prometheus, from Frozen Teardop.

And neither, live stage drama.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's the Prometheus, from Frozen Teardop.

And neither, live stage drama.

Where are you seeing this? There's a stage play announced, but that seems to be a separate thing from the sequel, as far as I can tell from Japanese sources.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Greblin posted:

Where are you seeing this? There's a stage play announced, but that seems to be a separate thing from the sequel, as far as I can tell from Japanese sources.

These are the english resources I've found on the topic:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-04-14/gundam-00-anime-gets-stage-play-in-february-2019/.130374
http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00_Festival_10_%22Re:vision%22

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Ah yeah, looking around a little more it is just a one off drama. That's a shame.

Still, Graham's trending on Japanese twitter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On one hand "Oh, Graham is alive again despite exploding because ELS" is stupid. On the other hand Graham's death was stupid and kinda defeated the point of him choosing to live. So it's a net wash.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Samesies

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

One day, I dream that all of my favorite shows will have Japanese stage productions. They are dumb and I love them.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 14, 2018

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

One day, I dream that all of my favorite shows will have Japanese stage productions. They are dumb and I love them.
Dumb and silly stage productions are not limited to anime series. Behold the Resident Evil stage play.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

IIRC between the end of the battle in the 00 movie and the epilogue, there's brief last gasp war by anti-Innovator forces.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

Dumb and silly stage productions are not limited to anime series. Behold the Resident Evil stage play.
Olivia!

If you do want extra 00 guff though there's already several semi-passable side story mangas that stretch the whole timeline. I recently read 00F which despite being kinda dumb and extremely :japan:anime:japan: ended up being fairly enjoyable overall and at least provided a 0083 style answer to the 00 timelines question of "Why is everyone suddenly evil?"

Olivia!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I for one am shocked the manga spinoff to an anime is anime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really need to read more Gundam manga, I don't think I've read anything other than Crossbone Gundam, and even there only the translated part (gently caress, Ghost is still not translated). I keep telling myself to read the Astray ones but I still haven't and I don't even know how to read it considering it has a million things that apparently sometimes happen at the same time or something? But Astray is so cool in SRWW that I really want to read it at some point.

Oh, I also read some Glory of Losers but stopped rather early. It seemed like an interesting Wing remake if nothing else, and I love how it upgrades the Heavyarms to MORE GUNS.

I don't know what other Gundam manga are good. I accept recommendations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I really need to read more Gundam manga, I don't think I've read anything other than Crossbone Gundam, and even there only the translated part (gently caress, Ghost is still not translated). I keep telling myself to read the Astray ones but I still haven't and I don't even know how to read it considering it has a million things that apparently sometimes happen at the same time or something? But Astray is so cool in SRWW that I really want to read it at some point.

Oh, I also read some Glory of Losers but stopped rather early. It seemed like an interesting Wing remake if nothing else, and I love how it upgrades the Heavyarms to MORE GUNS.

Definitely check out the plot to assassinate gihren, It's probably the best gundam manga out there.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve heard positive things about Astray, but I’ve never read it myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astray has high highs and low lows depending on what you read. I didn't like R much for example.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

I’ve heard positive things about Astray, but I’ve never read it myself.
The stuff with Lowe Gear (yes, that's his name) as the main lead/major supporting character are pretty good. These are: Astray, Astray R, and X Astray. The first two are kind of companion stories as they tell the same journey (beginning where Kira's story started back on the Heliopolis colony), only from different points along the way. For instance, Astray R covers how Lowe got his signature katana in detail while Astray glosses over that part of Lowe's story (with an aside "Hey, go read this other manga. It explains things not covered here!"). X Astray is a direct sequel and covers content that happens towards the end of SEED, starring Prayer Reverie (one of the many Al Da Flaga clones) as the lead while Lowe plays the lead supporting actor role. I should note that Astray and X Astray have the same writer/artist, but Astray R has a different writer/artist and has a very different in tone and atmosphere (Lowe is much more serious of a character in Astray R compared to other Astray works, where he's more jovial and light-hearted).

Basically, the Astray manga series are some of the better Cosmic Era content out there, and serve as a nice companion piece to a very flawed pair of TV shows that does its best to flesh out the SEED universe more than the shows did. Just avoid Delta Astray, that's all.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Just gonna make the post above this one be unstuck in time real quick

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Well, ZZ isn't an anime, so something had to make up the gap.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Droyer posted:

Definitely check out the plot to assassinate gihren, It's probably the best gundam manga out there.

Seconding this. Gundam: Plot to Assassinate Gihren is easily one of the best things set in UC Gundam. To explain why in any detail would basically require spoiling the entire manga, but suffice to say it's a really interesting Gundam story from a refreshing perspective that rewards knowledge of the setting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Seconding this. Gundam: Plot to Assassinate Gihren is easily one of the best things set in UC Gundam. To explain why in any detail would basically require spoiling the entire manga, but suffice to say it's a really interesting Gundam story from a refreshing perspective that rewards knowledge of the setting.

I think it's not spoiling much to say the lead character isn't a pilot, at least. At least, not any more.

Leopold's the Man Who Returned from Earth, a Zeonic detective assigned to investigate the titular plot to assassinate Gihren. Less action focused, more political thriller. Good stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really want The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi to get adapted as the next OVA series.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
As far as Gundam mangas are concerned, I've been intrigued by the CCA Beltorchika's Children manga I've stumbled upon a while ago. I haven't read it myself but there were aspects of the movie that pissed me off so I'm real curious to check out the differences.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Other than what's been mentioned, definitely check out Gundam: The Origin manga, Garma of Space Island and Gundam Sousei.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really want The Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi to get adapted as the next OVA series.

I'd be really excited, but I'm not sure how well it would go. Thunderbolt is already pretty lean and mean, and I felt the anime cut out some important aspects in adapting it. The Plot To Assassinate Gihren's a slower burn, and fairly low action early on. I'd be worried how well things would be fit to the screen.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

:same:

But it's probably not going to happen any time soon. :(

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Droyer posted:

It adds a childlike catgirl who's actually a hyper intelligent AI construct and the main character is a totally rad edgy dude and every time it looks like something went wrong it was totally part of his plan you guys.

It's :japan:anime:japan: as heck.

As for other mangas, seconding The Origin as not only is it a near perfect reshuffling of the MSG elements for a modern audience more familiar with the real robot genre (as opposed to having to fight super robot shows for TV ratings) the artwork is also super nice.

Crossbone Gundam is a fun space romp. I feel its slightly let down by a lack of depth to the villains and some sub-par MS designs but it makes up for it with concise storytelling and enjoyable characters.
0083: Rebellion has also been mentioned here before. It really does a lot to flesh out the characters, in fact almost the entire first volume is character introductions and world building.
Unicorn Bande Dessinee is almost a straight retelling of the anime but there are minor changes and additions here and there. Mostly it adds some bits from the book that were left out in the anime and became plotholes, like why the heck did Cardeas Vist delete the Unicorn test data and lock the NT-D? (because it just killed several test pilots) Also Banagher gets a little more agency and at the very least you can read him in any voice you like so he won't sound as whiny :v:
Beltorchika's Children isn't too bad from what I've read so far. It's less of a reshuffle and more of a complete overhaul though as it follows the novel, so it's Hi-Nu vs. Nightingale rather than Nu vs. Sazabi. (And I do love me some Sazabi)
The new Blue Destiny manga is also a thing. I'm withholding judgement until I've read the second volume but the first one was fairly dull. I think what irked me most was the writer very hamfistedly introduced the main cast with little name and info boxes (This is THE BAD GUY he is with the Zeons he is, he likes muffins) rather than attempting to introduce them organically.

Zeta Define I would advise against reading. On the story side the changes range from unnecessary to outright stupid, while the artwork also leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of the action feels very flat because the artist, while rather skilled in technical drawing, has trouble conveying motion and speed.

I've also got a stack of mangas I haven't gotten to yet either. Glory of Losers is in there somewhere as is Build Fighters Amazing and several of the Unicorn/post-CCA spinoffs. I pretty much just browse the 100 yen racks at the second hand book store and pick up anything that says 'Gundam' on it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is sentinel any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
So now it's looking like G00 may have an actual sequel of some kind on the way after all.