Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Axetrain posted:

Noice. I wonder if we might see the unseen mechs in a DLC update? Not having the Warhammer and Marauder available in a Battletech game feels so wrong.

The most likely reason it got dropped is because those designs aren't in it. HG vs PGI is the case that'll determine if we ever get those in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Agrajag posted:

youre playing battletech right now? HOW?

I'm playing Battletech right now though, for real. If you made a backup of the game files before the Steam update wiped everything, you can still play.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Axetrain posted:

Noice. I wonder if we might see the unseen mechs in a DLC update? Not having the Warhammer and Marauder available in a Battletech game feels so wrong.

Gonna have to see how HG vs PGI pans out before that could be discussed

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Psion posted:

Gonna have to see how HG vs PGI pans out before that could be discussed

If PGI wins and gets Harmony Gold to gently caress off forever, I will actually buy a 'Mech pack from their store. Or Preorder Mechwarrior 5. Either/or.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If PGI wins and gets Harmony Gold to gently caress off forever, I will actually buy a 'Mech pack from their store. Or Preorder Mechwarrior 5. Either/or.

The tragic thing is that the fact that I was watching Robotech as a 10 year old is why I pestered my mom into buying that first copy of Battledroids. I thought it was a Robotech game. And I did love that TV show an awful lot back then.

Too bad they turned evil and now I want them to just go away for good. :sigh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought mw5 was looking solid in that demo mission vid they released a while back.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Isn't the biggest problem people have with MWO its freemium elements, anyway? I only played the game up to and exclusively grinding myself a Mad Cat but I enjoyed stomping and shooting, casually.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sebmojo posted:

I thought mw5 was looking solid in that demo mission vid they released a while back.
It looked tedious and no different than older MW games to me. If it is the same demo (where the guy is driving an unofficial Shadowhawk) they had unlimited ammo and there were tons of poo poo targets to poo poo at and it really didn't Indore much confidence for me because imagine trying to blow up dozens of helicopters, tanks, and turrets in something with really limited ammo...

Mordja posted:

Isn't the biggest problem people have with MWO its freemium elements, anyway? I only played the game up to and exclusively grinding myself a Mad Cat but I enjoyed stomping and shooting, casually.
No I think the problem most goons have with it is the forced 12v12, ghost heat, poor map design, jump-sniper meta, and dumb pilot skill tree.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 15, 2018

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mordja posted:

No, I'd actually say that the f2p model of MWO is one of the better ones out there, the problem people have is that the devs couldn't game design their way out of a paper bag.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmmm, I see. Well map design, and maybe skill tree aside, most of those sound like multiplayer balance issues which hopefully won't appear in a singleplayer title.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
PGI managed to get the core gameplay of driving robots and shooting weapons feeling good, but have hosed up basically everything they tried to add around it. They can't balance anything, they can't design UIs, they can't make maps, and we have no reason to expect that they know how to design a good single-player campaign or an interesting AI.

If the stars align and MW5 manages to be a good game I'll be pleasantly surprised and more than happy to buy it, but speaking as someone with the golden badge of shame on the MWO forums I have no expectations of quality from this company.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mordja posted:

Hmmmm, I see. Well map design, and maybe skill tree aside, most of those sound like multiplayer balance issues which hopefully won't appear in a singleplayer title.

This is a pretty optimistic viewpoint. MWO is a multiplayer game so it's only going to have MP issues. So you're betting that PGI can demonstrate thoughtful and/or competent design in another arena (SP game) despite a track record of not doing so here.

is it possible, yeah, definitely. Is it plausible? Wellllll.........

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like the dude above said, the actual walk-and-shoot gameplay in MWO feels good, and that might be enough for me since there hasn't been a singleplayer MW experience in over 15 years. I'll take what I can get. :negative:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Mordja posted:

Like the dude above said, the actual walk-and-shoot gameplay in MWO feels good, and that might be enough for me since there hasn't been a singleplayer MW experience in over 15 years. I'll take what I can get. :negative:

If Star Citizen has taught us anything it's that it's totally a good idea to give good money to poo poo developers because ~nostalgia~ and ~dreams~, clearly it will work here too

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I actually don't give PGI credit for the core gameplay feeling good. IS AC20s feel good. SRMs feel good. As an old Mechwarrior grog the setup for how the arms work compared to the torso feels weird to me (because I'm used to playing with a joystick, I guess), everything else feels finnicky. The in-game economy was unnecessarily punishing, and that's comparing it to the fact that the most similar games I've played are by loving Wargaming.

Their balance is poo poo, but that stems from a lack of understanding of what they should actually be balancing towards, which is why they ended up with LRM metas, pop-tarting, thinking Ghost Heat was a good idea, etc. They fundamentally don't understand how to make a good Mechwarrior game (IMO). I have zero faith they'll suddenly figure it out for a single player game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

WebDO posted:

If Star Citizen has taught us anything it's that it's totally a good idea to give good money to poo poo developers because ~nostalgia~ and ~dreams~, clearly it will work here too
Weird comparison since this isn't a crowfunding thing. It's a game I'll passively hope turns out well, but if it's bad on release I'll just shrug and not buy it until it's ten bucks or something. :shrug:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mordja posted:

Weird comparison since this isn't a crowfunding thing. It's a game I'll passively hope turns out well, but if it's bad on release I'll just shrug and not buy it until it's ten bucks or something. :shrug:

Their point is that buying based on nostalgia alone doesn't usually have a good outcome. But your second sentence here is exactly what most people are doing, so I don't think there's much disagreement here.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I kinda wish there were a few extra lostech star league mechs, I always thought the Lancelot was pretty neat whenever it made an appearance.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Mordja posted:

I'll take what I can get. :negative:

Your Kapisi avatar says that this isn't the first time huh

:smith::hf::smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If MW5 is good it'll be the first game I've pirated in like a decade. I don't care, I've paid PGI enough money.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mordja posted:

Yeah, this is me too.

vv wise posting

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 15, 2018

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
The case against HBS was clearly the weakest, but since Jordan Weissman promised HG he wouldn't touch their precious warrior robots as part of their secret settlement in the nineties it was a gimme that they would try to rope him in as part of their shakedown. As odd as it sounds, I'm rooting for PGI to decisively put an end to HG's horseshit because then MWO keeps Mechs that are already in player's hands, HBS can include those Mechs in the future, and maybe CGL could muster the wherewithal to show up in court so they can publish books and minis with their own versions.

I'm on the fence about MW5, since the initial footage exceeded my admittedly minimal expectations and evoked feelings of prior titles... but then again, PGI got my foundersbux way back when because they said a lot of the right things and I was honestly worried that perhaps the last chance for a new Mechwarrior would fail for lack of interest. MWO hasn't failed for lack of money, but PGI has certainly overpromised and underdelivered on game features over the years. They haven't been promising that much for MW5, which is understandably cause for concern as far as commercial success and more content in the future goes, but comparing how things were back when ghost heat was rolled out to seeing power draw slapped down and the Solaris stuff I am permitting myself a modicum of hope. Like a rock worn smooth by a coursing river, the art of managing community expectations may have gradually been beaten into PGI's skull and from their pebble-smooth brains shall spring... a game.
Nothing that will surpass anyone's expectations, or be considered particularly good by itself, but perhaps solid enough that something that is good could arrive. It might be made by PGI or community modders, but I can guarantee that it will occur over a glacial timescale. :effort:

DeepThrobble fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 15, 2018

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Axetrain posted:

I kinda wish there were a few extra lostech star league mechs, I always thought the Lancelot was pretty neat whenever it made an appearance.

I hope they add some Lostech stuff in a DLC that is a rare spawn that you gotta take out and salvage.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

In the meantime, we're down to single-digit days until Battletech. Please keep being excited.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It looked tedious and no different than older MW games to me. If it is the same demo (where the guy is driving an unofficial Shadowhawk) they had unlimited ammo and there were tons of poo poo targets to poo poo at and it really didn't Indore much confidence for me because imagine trying to blow up dozens of helicopters, tanks, and turrets in something with really limited ammo...

No I think the problem most goons have with it is the forced 12v12, ghost heat, poor map design, jump-sniper meta, and dumb pilot skill tree.

Ah yes, this reminds me of how PGI suddenly decided to invalidate all my playing time, and I just stopped. (When the old skills were planted over to the new skill tree, you actually had to pay with your in-game money to get your own old skills back. Since I don't play much, and am incredibly lovely if I do play, I never had much money and got super-hosed over by this. After spending all my money on getting like 1/3rd of my skills back, I was like "nope" and just stopped playing.)

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

In the meantime, we're down to single-digit days until Battletech. Please keep being excited.

I am extremely hype. I have even resorted to buying Far Cry 5 to pass the time which I'm not entirely sure was worth my money even with a 20% discount.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Eej posted:

I hope they add some Lostech stuff in a DLC that is a rare spawn that you gotta take out and salvage.

well there's already some rare-rear end lostech we've spotted in game videos, so it may not require DLC

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Libluini posted:

Ah yes, this reminds me of how PGI suddenly decided to invalidate all my playing time, and I just stopped. (When the old skills were planted over to the new skill tree, you actually had to pay with your in-game money to get your own old skills back. Since I don't play much, and am incredibly lovely if I do play, I never had much money and got super-hosed over by this. After spending all my money on getting like 1/3rd of my skills back, I was like "nope" and just stopped playing.)

I think you can transfer them for free (historical sp?), but it's a slightly Byzantine system

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

I think you can transfer them for free (historical sp?), but it's a slightly Byzantine system

I could recover some of them like this, but I also paid tons of money. I think at one step of the conversion process, you always had to pay something.

Really though, I don't actually remember all the stupid steps I had to do to get skills back. I stopped caring at some point last year.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Axetrain posted:

I am extremely hype. I have even resorted to buying Far Cry 5 to pass the time which I'm not entirely sure was worth my money even with a 20% discount.

i've resorted to playing world of warships. please, someone help me :byodood:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I could recover some of them like this, but I also paid tons of money. I think at one step of the conversion process, you always had to pay something.

Really though, I don't actually remember all the stupid steps I had to do to get skills back. I stopped caring at some point last year.

You clicked the wrong button. Every mech that you had skills on had free skill points granted in your favor and you just need to confirm transferring them. It's free.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dramicus posted:

You clicked the wrong button. Every mech that you had skills on had free skill points granted in your favor and you just need to confirm transferring them. It's free.

It's free but extremely confusing. Iirc you get a bunch of historic xp and historic skill points, and you need to pay to convert xp to sp but the sp itself is free.

It was totally retarded and really needed a good tutorial.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

Could be, could be you're wrong. I'm not logging in just to confirm this, see my last post. :shrug:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

It's free but extremely confusing. It really needed a good tutorial.

Absolutely, but the point is that while PGI may be incredibly incompetent in most ways, they generally don't do things maliciously.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Zaodai posted:

Their balance is poo poo, but that stems from a lack of understanding of what they should actually be balancing towards, which is why they ended up with LRM metas, pop-tarting, thinking Ghost Heat was a good idea, etc. They fundamentally don't understand how to make a good Mechwarrior game (IMO). I have zero faith they'll suddenly figure it out for a single player game.

Err, what makes a good Mechwarrior game?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Being able to clothesline a robot.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Comstar posted:

Err, what makes a good Mechwarrior game?

Death from Above attacks

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Absolutely, but the point is that while PGI may be incredibly incompetent in most ways, they generally don't do things maliciously.

Ghost Heat would like a word with you

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Libluini posted:

Add skills, and transfer HSP. Historical skillpoints are free - if you mastered a robot, you get 91. If you had any extra XP, that's HXP which you do need to pay to convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

DFA
Able to last longer than 5 seconds in a firefight
Snipers are annoying hit and fade bastards, not the optimum way to play, especially with poptarting