Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I have a diet consisting of 100% potato peels from when I help out in the soup kitchen

just lmfao if you're not subsisting entirely on sweat from your own honest proletariat labour

your first thought on what to do with 101 dalmatians determines whether or not you're a capitalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HJB posted:

I heard it was the Tories that abolished Birds Eye Potato Fritters, mostly for being Smiles without holes.

The bastards already abolished turkey twizzlers because that fat-tongued knob launched a crusade against them.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jippa posted:

One of my first jobs was temping for the council in bristol, going round auditing their equipment. I got to visit pretty much all of the different areas of the city from st paul's to all the way on the outskirts to the colston hall and the main building on the green to the docks etc. It was great.

The only thing about bristol I don't miss is the traffic.

Don't drive in Bristol. Get a long board and fly down Park Street at a billion miles per hour.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

The whole bit about dividing foods into bourgie/prole is stupid, methinks. Food is food. Unless we're talking about $1000 bottles of champagne and gold leaf on everything, or stuff like live monkey brains.

I'd rather criticise the rich for not giving back to society, exploiting people's labour, etc.

That's the sort of thing a polenta-eater would say

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Food in itself isnt inherently bourgie and I think its a bit silly to deny yourself something you might find amazing because of what other people might think.

How people act around food does get really class stratified but that shifts around and its a bit funny to see people talking up polenta as posh when it reminds me of the childhood times where I was eating that or rice/potatoes/lentils/pasta or couscous with something in a tin from kwiksave for weeks on end because things were sometimes pretty tight.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Never thought I'd see so many people defending eating placenta...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Cookery in the Uk is often surprisingly class-ridden and very much about exclusion: "WE can afford to source and prepare these poncy ingredients, while YOU never will. :smug:"

The Guardian's actually a great example of this. There'll be an article entitled something like "6 simple brunches to prepare from scratch" and they'll all be made up of organic platypus testicles and super-rare himalayan orchids and take 5 hours to make. "Personally, I find that the very best unpasteurised gravel is sold by that excellent little deli just off Portobello Road etc etc...."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Never thought I'd see so many people defending eating placenta...

Not often you get the chance for legal cannibalism.

Polenta, like most South American staples (yes I know it's also associated with the med, shut up) only becomes bourg when it's eaten as a status symbol in the paedo isles

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really fancy corn beef stew now.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

So much of what divides working class from bougey is how things are phrased. Fish fingers are disgusting prolefood, but cod goujons are totally fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winegums posted:

So much of what divides working class from bougey is how things are phrased. Fish fingers are disgusting prolefood, but cod goujons are totally fine.

Cod goujons and fish fingers are not really the same thing.

Like one's made entirely out of labias while the other is just a small bit of fried fish.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Someone find that graun article where the author has discovered the art of making a sandwich.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Firos posted:

Someone find that graun article where the author has discovered the art of making a sandwich.

Peak Guardian was the student recipes where one of them required an £80 bottle of champagne for the sauce

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The hell do you need champagne for in cooking that a bottle of blue nun wouldn't do for?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pistol_Pete posted:

Cookery in the Uk is often surprisingly class-ridden and very much about exclusion: "WE can afford to source and prepare these poncy ingredients, while YOU never will. :smug:"

The Guardian's actually a great example of this. There'll be an article entitled something like "6 simple brunches to prepare from scratch" and they'll all be made up of organic platypus testicles and super-rare himalayan orchids and take 5 hours to make. "Personally, I find that the very best unpasteurised gravel is sold by that excellent little deli just off Portobello Road etc etc...."

Jamie Oliver once did a TV programme that was supposed to show people how to cook healthy meals on a tight budget but every recipe assumed you had a kitchen equipped with all the things posh people have - the kinda poo poo that people put on gift lists for their weddings or other fancy events - and demanded all kinds of fresh spices and poo poo. It was bizarre :/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

The hell do you need champagne for in cooking that a bottle of blue nun wouldn't do for?

Nothing requires champagne, including the act of getting drunk, because champagne is one of the most vile tasting liquids that is still apparently designed for human consumption.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Nothing requires champagne, including the act of getting drunk, because champagne is one of the most vile tasting liquids that is still apparently designed for human consumption.

Counter point: vanilla coke

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/DavidJeffery_/status/985189355777032192?s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Makes nice ice lollies, though I'd use cava not the real stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

E: paella.
Surprised that the UK doesn't have a brand of instant paella called pae-do.

crispix posted:

Jamie Oliver once did a TV programme that was supposed to show people how to cook healthy meals on a tight budget but every recipe assumed you had a kitchen equipped with all the things posh people have - the kinda poo poo that people put on gift lists for their weddings or other fancy events - and demanded all kinds of fresh spices and poo poo. It was bizarre :/
Actually I think you'll find that even the most proletarian of domiciles can afford Jamie's range of food processors, multifunction electric whisks, and zombie knives if they'd just stop spending all their money on massive televisions and Xstations. :wankah:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/spreadsheetben/status/985254818406129670

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Firos posted:

I've tried to find it and failed; there's literally dozens of Grauniad articles about sandwiches, including two entirely seperate articles with people making a sandwich from scratch (as in, planting the seeds, making cheese, growing the vegetables, rearing a chicken to cull, etc).

[e]:
Amazing. It's almost adorable.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 15, 2018

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Try as they might, they still won't beat the Daily Mail.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My car claims to be champagne coloured. I am posh.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

crispix posted:

No but you see once you buy that £5 bunch of artisan Rosemary you can put it in the freezer and use it again for oth- what do you mean you've run out of money?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've tried to find it and failed; there's literally dozens of Grauniad articles about sandwiches, including two entirely seperate articles with people making a sandwich from scratch (as in, planting the seeds, making cheese, growing the vegetables, rearing a chicken to cull, etc).

If anything this just adds to the whole thing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eh, I've used Jamie Oliver recipes for poor people when I've been piss poor and most of them work very well.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

crispix posted:

i have a woefully understocked kitchen adn no money and i still make food someone giv eme a loving tv show

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonna start selling artesian rosemary and point out that it's perfectly accurate.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

winegums posted:

Unlike, say, houses, the class factor in food is almost entirely how much time and mental energy you have to devote to it.

So some people at the bottom of the conventional income-based class system have a surprisingly large amount in common with those near the top.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hahahaha, a visual metaphor couldn't be more perfect

Owning themselves is just about the thing liberals are best at. Second only to insisting on dragging us into right wing goverments, that is

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Try as they might, they still won't beat the Daily Mail.

Holy poo poo I forgot about that :lol:

Firos posted:

If anything this just adds to the whole thing.

Thanks to that, I've ended up in the Graun's food section. It's an unfamiliar world of tiny portions on gigantic plates:

There is allegedly cod somewhere in this picture

And some of the plates aren't even plates at all!

[e]: Also some prime cut examples of Peak Guardian:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 15, 2018

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pesky Splinter posted:

Thanks to that, I've ended up in the Graun's food section. It's an unfamiliar world of tiny portions on gigantic plates:

Those both look like things my mum would buy in weird shops for to put up on the wall.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

:discourse:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Wasn't it the graun advocating austerity sandwich's consisting of two slices of bread with a slice of toast in-between?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Trickjaw posted:

Wasn't it the graun advocating austerity sandwich's consisting of two slices of bread with a slice of toast in-between?

white people have no cult-

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Trickjaw posted:

Pretty sure that was a Tory MP back when food banks first hit the news. It was suggested as government policy to publish a recipe book based on how poor people ate through history. Until a bunch of doctors slammed the idea.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Found it, it was the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-39896838/a-cheaper-tastier-way-to-eat-lunch-at-work

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Of course the toast sandwich was a real victorian thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
could just about be ok with fried bread, maybe?

really want a disgustingly greasy bacon sandwich now

• Locked thread