Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

Videogames on the whole would be a lot more enjoyable if people didn't view losing as some sort of world-shattering disaster and just could be chill about it.

Dota 2 is a really fun game that is completely ruined by the community being insanely toxic.

Video games are more fun when everyone playing wants the same thing out of them, which cuts both ways across the casual / competitive divide as well as across all kinds of other factors. It's one of the reasons that always chasing the broadest audience possible no matter what is bad for game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Competitive games should be designed to end in 5-10 minutes imo

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The difficulty with shorter game times is matchmaking, loading, and character selection times. If those together are on par with the actual match time it really blows, and obviously some are outside of developer control.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watching a stream of God of War 3 where Kratos gouges out Poseidon's eyes and floods the world in the process, casually killing millions of innocents

Dad of the year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

99 fast seconds

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I said come in! posted:

Splatoon 2 is a game where I can handle losing, even though it happens frequently, because matches are only 3 minutes long. You're also rewarded even for loses and the difference between a win and loss is barely there. Overwatch is also a good example of this. I've had losses where I got more experience points then I did for a win. Whether you lose or win in that game doesn't matter in the slightest.

In ranked mode in Splatoon 2 you you barely get any XP or gold for losing, it's actually way more punishing than any similar multiplayer game I've played with varying rewards based on match wins. I don't mind it though and there's always turf war if you wanna dick around

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching a stream of God of War 3 where Kratos gouges out Poseidon's eyes and floods the world in the process, casually killing millions of innocents

Dad of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rOiW_xY-kc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

Fighting games are the perfect form of electronic competition

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Splatoon 2 is a game where I can handle losing, even though it happens frequently, because matches are only 3 minutes long. You're also rewarded even for loses and the difference between a win and loss is barely there. Overwatch is also a good example of this. I've had losses where I got more experience points then I did for a win. Whether you lose or win in that game doesn't matter in the slightest.

Yeah, Overwatch does have loot boxes in arcade mode that require a win and that can be aggravating (I never even bother with the DM related ones) but unless you're playing ranked, losing doesn't really mean much.

Still sucks when your team is incompetent but I'm sure I've hosed up more than my fair share of games without realizing it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fighting games are the perfect form of electronic competition
its true. second best is rtses because even though they're long, you know when you're losing and you can just concede

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In news about Radical Heights:

lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be interesting to see a F2P game somehow bomb worse than Lawbreakers

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wait the game doesn't have women? Wow

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I bet it ends up making more money than Lawbreakers anyways, but only because Lawbreakers sold like trash

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am happy for the existence of Radical Heights, if only in anticipation for a sequel to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4v2LgVlEA

Help Im Alive posted:

It's X-TREME Early access

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe the memes and YouTube SEO worked, I now frequently unironically listen to lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

lol

I ... don’t get it?!?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

I ... don’t get it?!?

the punchline is CliffyB

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

when you make your character it says women: coming soon

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't believe the memes and YouTube SEO worked, I now frequently unironically listen to lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to

yeah my favorite one of those streams is STEEZYASFUCK for showing me this awesome Hey Arnold remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hJKhiew2O0

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haru's hair in this is extremely good and i wish it were like that in game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

lol

these look like samus' fusion suit colors

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the juxtaposition of cliffy b's tweets and i think john carmack's tweets are incredibly funny to me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

oddium posted:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd say 15 is the upper limit for a comfortable match, which is about where SC2 is. Sometimes they run long, but 99% of the time, it's because it's a really good game and the players are neck-and-neck, dancing and resupplying armies that entire time.

And then sometimes I watch pro AoE2 games when I'm eating lunch or something, and those videos are 20-30 minutes long, even as high as like 40 or 60, and they're being replayed at 2x speed or faster

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/985563269720100865

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my grandpa owns the same kitchen knives as zess t.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh I get it, Zesty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really Pants posted:

the punchline is CliffyB

This is the same person that asked his followers to harass and stalk a woman at a Comic Con convention.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

I would rather lose in silence than win while listening to randos on the internet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've played maybe 4 games of PUBG in my life and without exception every single one kicked off with people shouting racial slurs over open mike in the plane

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

i've played maybe 4 games of PUBG in my life and without exception every single one kicked off with people shouting racial slurs over open mike in the plane

This was my first match of PUBG was an obvious teenage white boy yelling racial slurs.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I prefer my drudging dull hide and seek games without racial slurs tyvm.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah yes because the point i was making was "boy i love pubg" and not "voice chat is terrible"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I prefer my drudging dull hide and seek games without racial slurs tyvm.
underground railroad battle royale is gonna be sick

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Buckle up, motherfuckers, because the GOTY is coming

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am happy for the existence of Radical Heights, if only in anticipation for a sequel to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4v2LgVlEA

It's X-TREME Early access

Radical Heights: delusion in a market where the dominant player is a janky mess of stock UE4 assets

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ometeotl posted:

Do they? Or do they use that as an excuse to brush off their suspension and not admit to what they actually did?

I've been told that nobody actually gets suspended purely for picking the "wrong" hero

If anyone can substantiate this it would be great because the thought of Blizzard banning people who paid full price for the game just for picking someone is both insane and hilarious

Also that Persona x Yakuza image is doing my head in. AnnMajima :psyduck:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

oddium posted:

Don't slam the curls, more video game women should have curls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

precision posted:

I've been told that nobody actually gets suspended purely for picking the "wrong" hero

If anyone can substantiate this it would be great because the thought of Blizzard banning people who paid full price for the game just for picking someone is both insane and hilarious

I think this is just a rule applicable to the top tiers of ranked ladders where the player base is much much smaller and obviously more competitive. Some people would stream themselves going online and purposely picking ineffective heroes for the team composition in order to effectively throw the game and troll their team, and that's where this all got started. Nobody is getting suspended for playing Torbjorn in Silver rank or whatever, this literally doesn't affect 99% of people

• Locked thread