Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

They never specify how old she is, or anything about Cardassian aging. The first Ziyal actress just looked kinda young.

The cardies that interrogated picard were around for the beginning of the military government, so they must live for hundreds of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well, I'm not going to argue, as there's no accounting for taste. But, wow. I get preferring one over the other between B5 and DS9, and even if you pick DS9 for whatever reason, that can be legit. But this seems like you've got a chip on your shoulder about something, or went in expecting and wanting to hate it.

I’m not going to watch 110 episodes of anything I expect to hate. I was very much looking forward to watching B5 - obviously it gets a lot of plaudits on here and elsewhere, and I have fond memories from catching the odd episode when I was a kid. I had known for years (decades?) that this had an ongoing plot that slowly led up to something called the “shadow war”, and I was excited to finally see that. But when the shadow war finally arrived it was a total damp squib.

The sets, effects and even the acting I can chalk up to budgetary problems and look past. But the characterisation and writing is nowhere near up to snuff, especially compared to the similar DS9.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

I don't think it's at all lacking in the dialogue and characters, although that is still obviously a matter of taste. I didn't mean to cast aspersions and assume someone's motive, so I apologize for that, but I think when you're watching a lower-budget show from 25 years ago you really have to meet it on its own terms as a product of its time, and not judge it by the standards of everything that's come since.

Well, I have to, anyway. I admit I'm an oddball and a dinosaur who still likes Star Trek TOS and the original Doctor Who despite their own much more severe limitations. You can do what you want, and if you didn't grow up with them I recognize it's a higher hurdle to clear.

I think that's an OK view if you are watching something for historical or artistic reasons, but in my opinion, true classic entertainment can withstand the test of time in spite of or even because of its' age.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Windows 98 posted:

What are some other good Trek twitter accounts?

I don't know that it's good (certainly it's not Riker Googling), but https://twitter.com/OffToRomulus does some weird series with a crapload of other peripheral Trek accounts.

e.g. (click through for full effect) https://twitter.com/OneEyed_Giant/status/982873943982952448

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m still not entirely sure why exactly.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/985583804772384769

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dont even fink about it posted:

Unless Babylon 5 attempts to trick you into embracing fascism and rejecting the premise of a better future, while at the same time managing to have only a fraction of the political bravery of its predecessors--imperfect as they are--it's not worse than DS9.
This post is intrinsically fascist, and further, part of a fascist ideological process.

More seriously, did you watch to the ending of "Paradise Lost"? If you aren't finishing the episode you might as well be marching through Poland at the head of a column of tanks.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

This post is intrinsically fascist, and further, part of a fascist ideological process.

More seriously, did you watch to the ending of "Paradise Lost"? If you aren't finishing the episode you might as well be marching through Poland at the head of a column of tanks.

This is a crypto fascist post.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arglebargle III posted:

Ridiculous! I hate Bitcoin.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Arglebargle III posted:

The good thing about cryptofascism is that it's so decentralized.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Eastern Bloc-chain

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The_Doctor posted:

I’m still not entirely sure why exactly.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/985583804772384769

That smells like bullshit to me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

MillennialVulcan posted:

That smells like bullshit to me.

I don't know; it seems plausible to me. Remember, Intellectual Property (IP) is a many-splendored thing. It's possible that the ownership of what the Constitution-class Enterprise is supposed to look like belongs to whoever used it last--I'm thinking about the newer Star Trek films--so, things have to change a bit.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LRADIKAL posted:

I think that's an OK view if you are watching something for historical or artistic reasons, but in my opinion, true classic entertainment can withstand the test of time in spite of or even because of its' age.

Maybe I'm weird but I'm not even sure I draw that kind of distinction when I watch something. I usually enjoy things on all sorts of levels.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

tarlibone posted:

I don't know; it seems plausible to me. Remember, Intellectual Property (IP) is a many-splendored thing. It's possible that the ownership of what the Constitution-class Enterprise is supposed to look like belongs to whoever used it last--I'm thinking about the newer Star Trek films--so, things have to change a bit.

Is this like how Kira Nerys isn’t Ensign Ro (or Tom Paris isn’t the Red Squad goober from TNG) because callback money?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad Kira isn't Ro

I couldn't possibly give less of a poo poo about Thomas Eugene Paris

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I don't know if brexit means anything to you guys, but Jean-luc Picard is trying to stop it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43774200

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maybe I'm weird but I'm not even sure I draw that kind of distinction when I watch something. I usually enjoy things on all sorts of levels.

Besides, Lightwave has its charms. B5 CGI is the latter-day equivalent of Republic serial ships on strings shooting fireworks -- it's fun even though, and largely because, it's hopelessly outdated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Trickjaw posted:

I don't know if brexit means anything to you guys, but Jean-luc Picard is trying to stop it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43774200

He’s finally resumed aging in these last few years and I don’t like it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is this like how Kira Nerys isn’t Ensign Ro (or Tom Paris isn’t the Red Squad goober from TNG) because callback money?

That is a separate can of worms that is, itself, another many-splendored thing. To get an idea of how nuts that can be, look into the last episodes of the show Charmed. The white lighter character had left the show, and there was this whole big thing about how much money it would take in order to 1) have him show up in the finale, 2) use clips of him with his voice in the finale, 3) use clips without voice, 4) show a picture of his character, and 5) ignore him completely.

But the IP issue... you'd think it'd be simple: X owns Star Trek, so if they're making ST:D under the blessing of X, then obviously ST:D can have a cameo of the Constitution-class Enterprise. The problem is, it's much more fragmented than that. X may own Star Trek's... uh, let's say, characters. Y owns the ship design for that particular incarnation of the Enterprise (and every model that purports to depict that version of the ship). Z owns certain story lines. And it goes on and on like that. So, while ST:D may be an official Star Trek product, they may not have permission to use any of the cannon characters related to the Enterprise. And if they do, they might not have the rights to use an existing model of the Constitution-class Enterprise itself. And even if they have all of that, they may not be able to allow one of the characters onboard the Enterprise to say that they're about to go on a "5-year mission" or that they're going to "boldly go where no man has gone before." Not even if they explain that by man, they mean "mankind," not humans who identify as male.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s finally resumed aging in these last few years and I don’t like it

So would you if you are getting closer to 80, and had a hot @40 year old wife. The man can't be getting any sleep.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So if the Paramount movies don't have the rights to the TOS Enterprise, and the CBS tv series doesn't, who does?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Astroman posted:

So if the Paramount movies don't have the rights to the TOS Enterprise, and the CBS tv series doesn't, who does?

Axanar?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Astroman posted:

star trek onlien

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Should I watch the remastered version of TOS with high def and new CG space shots or the original

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Should I watch the remastered version of TOS with high def and new CG space shots or the original

Don’t stress over it since each looks like (a different kind of) rear end half the time.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Astroman posted:

Amarillo Design Bureau.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Do you like cheesy newer CGI or cheesy old model shots?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This really makes me want to watch the original effects + high def version even though it'll be hard to find

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This really makes me want to watch the original effects + high def version even though it'll be hard to find

What the gently caress

"Haha, computers don't look like that anymore! Now they look like... A dual cassette player?"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I love all of the new effects.

Fight me.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking as someone who grew up watching TOS re-runs after school, the high def remastered version has a definite charm equal to the original, and you'd honestly be fine watching either one. A real IDIC situation, there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

TNG Season 8 is good but stopped tweeting a long time ago. Good to browse the history at least.
Yeah they wrote a book and since then have basically not used the account

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The new TOS effects are fine

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I don't... hate the new effects, but I do find it a little jarring, jumping between the shlocky interior sets and clean CGI exterior shots.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

From what I've seen they don't look inherently bad, I just want the originals so the 60s aesthetic is complete

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

After The War posted:

I don't... hate the new effects, but I do find it a little jarring, jumping between the shlocky interior sets and clean CGI exterior shots.

Give it time. The cg hasn’t aged well so in a few years it’ll all even out.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Give it time. The cg hasn’t aged well so in a few years it’ll all even out.

Yeah some of the CG in the re-mastered stuff has aged pretty well but some of it is pretty hideous. I still don't much care for the Enterprise skating around firing at the planet killer either.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Here's a question for the thread: What exactly is Martia's role in the Star Trek VI conspiracy? I've been watching this movie since I was a kid, but it never occurred to me to wonder what she's supposed to be doing.

I know they want to kill Kirk and Bones and use "trying to escape" as an excuse. What I don't understand is why. Wouldn't it have been better to just let those two rot in prison while the conspiracy to disrupt Federation-Klingon relations continued? At that point, they didn't know much, other than the fact that they were being framed.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Brawnfire posted:

What the gently caress

"Haha, computers don't look like that anymore! Now they look like... A dual cassette player?"

At least you don't see any paper-and-oil capacitors anymore?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You should be watching DS9 :colbert:

Really, either is fine as has been stated. I won't fault you for watching TOS and there are several episodes directly referenced in DS9 that'd be way better if you knew TOS anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Here's a question for the thread: What exactly is Martia's role in the Star Trek VI conspiracy? I've been watching this movie since I was a kid, but it never occurred to me to wonder what she's supposed to be doing.

I know they want to kill Kirk and Bones and use "trying to escape" as an excuse. What I don't understand is why. Wouldn't it have been better to just let those two rot in prison while the conspiracy to disrupt Federation-Klingon relations continued? At that point, they didn't know much, other than the fact that they were being framed.
The Khitomer Conspirators hired her to make sure they die on Rura Penthe and have no chance to foil their plot to assassinate the Federation President and destroy any chance for peace.

In their view, the two of them are a threat as long as they are still living