Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

To be fair, the current layout loving blows.

They were always capable of updating points values, they just never did. :ssh:

It would have been a gigantic pain to keep track of with the old layout. This was a good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Last lot of the mystery boxes an old friend left with me. Quite a lot of damaged stuff on these two layers. Everything all together down at the bottom.

Dark Angels

Imperial Guard

Everything together, apart from the seriously broken bits.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

It would have been a gigantic pain to keep track of with the old layout. This was a good change.
How so? Previous editions already had centralized wargear lists. They just took that approach and made it so you have to refer to a couple more tables to figure out what a model costs. It's dumb and inefficient and it's ok to admit that.

I have gone through my books and written in the points costs in an effort to mimic the old format, but that's hardly a real solution.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Safety Factor posted:

How so? Previous editions already had centralized wargear lists. They just took that approach and made it so you have to refer to a couple more tables to figure out what a model costs. It's dumb and inefficient and it's ok to admit that.

I have gone through my books and written in the points costs in an effort to mimic the old format, but that's hardly a real solution.

A list-building application with a centralized points database is the actual solution. Eager to see how GW fucks it up. :sigh:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Booley posted:

I mean I'd love to have things like iron halos be something you can give a character. The old codexes were great in the granularity of upgrades you could give people, particularly non-weapon upgrades. But I'll trade that for having the tables in the back so gw can actually update points values to balance things.

This literally doesn't help with balance any more than changing the points of the model does.

How effective equipment is is hugely dependent on what model has that equipment. That's why they had to make the change to make guard plasma and melta more expensive on BS3+ models. Going "Well power axes are overperforming on space marine captains, let's increase the cost by 2" or something means that it costs 2 more on a captain and 2 more on some lovely tac marine sgt. Putting the points in the back of the book doesn't help with balance tuning as much as you'd think. Using the marine codex as an example I think there's a grand total of 2 weapons that differentiate, that's thunder hammers and storm shields. Look at the relic blade for example, it has a set cost in the back despite the fact that only 2 models can use it, a captain or a vanguard sgt and those are two very disparate models.

It used to be back in the day there were costs of wargear for single wound models and another set of costs for multiwound models, and that seems more reasonable. Back in the 4e codex for marines the wargear costs were separate but still differentiated, a combi-plasma for a 1 wound vet sgt was 10 points but the same gun on anyone with more than 1 wound was 15 points. That primitive 4e system is more robust than what we have today.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 15, 2018

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

A list-building application with a centralized points database is the actual solution. Eager to see how GW fucks it up. :sigh:

The app that's coming is power level only.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TKIY posted:

The app that's coming is power level only.

I heard it was PL for free, Points for pay? :shrug:

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

chutche2 posted:

This literally doesn't help with balance any more than changing the points of the model does.

How effective equipment is is hugely dependent on what model has that equipment. That's why they had to make the change to make guard plasma and melta more expensive on BS3+ models. Going "Well power axes are overperforming on space marine captains, let's increase the cost by 2" or something means that it costs 2 more on a captain and 2 more on some lovely tac marine sgt. Putting the points in the back of the book doesn't help with balance tuning as much as you'd think. Using the marine codex as an example I think there's a grand total of 2 weapons that differentiate, that's thunder hammers and storm shields. Look at the relic blade for example, it has a set cost in the back despite the fact that only 2 models can use it, a captain or a vanguard sgt and those are two very disparate models.

It used to be back in the day there were costs of wargear for single wound models and another set of costs for multiwound models, and that seems more reasonable. Back in the 4e codex for marines the wargear costs were separate but still differentiated, a combi-plasma for a 1 wound vet sgt was 10 points but the same gun on anyone with more than 1 wound was 15 points. That primitive 4e system is more robust than what we have today.

This is a huge problem with crisis suits right now, where a BS 2+ model and a BS4+ model are paying the same price for the same gun. It's actually reasonably costed on the 2+ model, but it's terrible on the 4+ model. They just need a consistent way to handle it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

I heard it was PL for free, Points for pay? :shrug:

There's 2 different apps.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

NovemberMike posted:

This is a huge problem with crisis suits right now, where a BS 2+ model and a BS4+ model are paying the same price for the same gun. It's actually reasonably costed on the 2+ model, but it's terrible on the 4+ model. They just need a consistent way to handle it.

it's almost like a database list builder would be a really good solution

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Aren't you all just asking for Battlescribe but with GW logos on it?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Aren't you all just asking for Battlescribe but with GW logos on it?

tbh I'm asking for that army builder with the images GW shut down last fall.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chutche2 posted:

tbh I'm asking for that army builder with the images GW shut down last fall.

I liked that one a lot.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

gender illusionist posted:

it's almost like hiring competent rules writers would be a really good solution

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Artum posted:

At £37 they'd loving better be that good.

The only ones i can see at that price are on US Amazon and have a review stating they're fake. Legit ones cost way more in the UK.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

neeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrdddddddddssssssssss

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Talk:Asterion_Moloc

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

I have a sudden, powerful urge to read awful fanfiction and call some jerk "Crustface McBonerlord."

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I've been working through a lot of boring model busywork lately, so I took a break and made a big ol deathwatch boy.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corrode posted:

Yeah. The single special per 10 for a unit that can take 3 of the loving things is pretty ridiculous. 2 would have been annoying but basically manageable, but 1 per box is tiresome.

My first skitarii squad was a Forgebane ebay one, and the dude hosed up the order in an amusing way. I got a duplicated plasma/arc rifle sprue but no arquebus / omnispex / tether. My start collecting box arrived at the weekend and now i have 2 full vanguard squads with 3 weapons each.
I have to wait a bit longer to make some ranger snipers, but i suppose there are worse problems to have.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hixson posted:

neeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrdddddddddssssssssss

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Talk:Asterion_Moloc

did the 30k thread really get into a flamewar on 1d4chan

Lol

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

did the 30k thread really get into a flamewar on 1d4chan

Lol

o cmon that guy is you

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Lost big at a 1250 mini tournament yesterday. I mean I was playing primaris salamanders so losing was expected but these were kinda silly.

First round was against DE, big guns never tire. I managed to lose all of the important pre-game rolls except the initiative, which he then stole. He was ravager heavy, so I was expecting his first turn to be a sucker punch, which it was. It was one of those cases where you lose the stuff you're expecting to, which is fine, and then against the odds manages to one-shot the thing you were counting on to maybe pull your rear end out of the fire. All my long-range shooting was dead, all my mobility was dead, he already had two objectives to my one, and the heaviest weapon I had were krak grenades. So I gave him the W on my turn one and offered to play a second game just for fun.

And we did, It was a way, way better game. I still lost, but it was at least a fight this time.

Lessons learned: black heart ravagers supported by an archon with the reroll 1's to wound relic are loving brutal, and cheap. The extra 6 inches from the Obsidian Rose on venom teams is also goddamn brutal. He had a really good list for this size of game. I also learned that a fight between two archons and a gravis captain can take a really, really long time to resolve.

Second round was against Alpha Legion. Kinda a weird one this time. Battalion with a bunch of min-size lascannon CSM squads, and a defiler, tooled up lord and a sorc, plus a vanguard with three hellbrutes and a warpsmith.

This was a fun, dumb game where everyone and everything got smashed up. The thing of note was a big scrum on one side of the table.

Basically the order of events went: Lord and Defiler try to charge squad of objective camping scouts. Defiler doesn't make it, lord does, kills scouts but is out of position. Lord proceeds to get barbecued and then punched to death by flamer aggressors, who then proceed to get shot and squished by the Defiler. Warlord trait goes to the Sorc who wasn't far behind. Gravis captain charges into Defiler and proceeds to punch it half to death, but takes a pretty nasty hit in the process. The Sorc's CSM buddies are sent in to help against the captain, and do a wound, but now the Sorc is open. He gets charged by a lurking squad of Intercessors who take off two wounds, while the Captain finishes the Defiler and a nearly-dead Techmarine joins the fray and kills most of the remaining CSM.

What happens next is the Sorceror falls back out of combat towards the Captain. Smites him bringing him down to 2 wounds, and tries to cast Miasma on himself. He rolls double sixes and was out of command points. He dies from the mortal wounds and I had to remind him that when a psyker dies from perils he does mortal wounds to everything in 6 inches. This kills the Captain, the Techmarine, the last of the CSM squad, and an intercessor for good measure. With him taking my warlord and losing my chance to take linebreaker I lost my chance to win or tie and the game ended 3-5.

That was maybe the dumbest most amazing way I've lost a game

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What happens next is the Sorceror falls back out of combat towards the Captain. Smites him bringing him down to 2 wounds, and tries to cast Miasma on himself. He rolls double sixes and was out of command points. He dies from the mortal wounds and I had to remind him that when a psyker dies from perils he does mortal wounds to everything in 6 inches. This kills the Captain, the Techmarine, the last of the CSM squad, and an intercessor for good measure. With him taking my warlord and losing my chance to take linebreaker I lost my chance to win or tie and the game ended 3-5.

That was maybe the dumbest most amazing way I've lost a game

The new perils mechanic is easily one of my favorite things about 8th edition. It doesn't come up too terribly often but when it does it can easily be enough to be a game changer.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
I'm thinking of starting a silly conversion project and could use Goon help. Swords are boring, and I'm looking to swapping the ones my banana boiz have with gun-hammers instead, because 40k needs more anime. I figure I can get either power maul or just spare daemon hammer bits easy enough, but I'm not entirely sure what to do for the guns on them. Thinking I can maybe do some carving and get the mauls from the Ogryn to sit alright on the halberds, but wondering if I could do something for the swords. Maybe just saw off the stuff on the swords and put them on the sides of a hammer? Any of you wonderful nerds have better ideas or suggestions?

e; Actually, the gun part of the sentinel blade looks like it could be placed on the head of the bullgryn power maul and would have an okay hammer-style look to it.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 16, 2018

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bombogenesis posted:

I'm thinking of starting a silly conversion project and could use Goon help. Swords are boring, and I'm looking to swapping the ones my banana boiz have with gun-hammers instead, because 40k needs more anime. I figure I can get either power maul or just spare daemon hammer bits easy enough, but I'm not entirely sure what to do for the guns on them. Thinking I can maybe do some carving and get the mauls from the Ogryn to sit alright on the halberds, but wondering if I could do something for the swords. Maybe just saw off the stuff on the swords and put them on the sides of a hammer? Any of you wonderful nerds have better ideas or suggestions?

e; Actually, the gun part of the sentinel blade looks like it could be placed on the head of the bullgryn power maul and would have an okay hammer-style look to it.

You could go Grey Knights style and have a wrist mounted gun on the off hand.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Bombogenesis posted:

You know what you must do, technically an axe but whatever.

(i saw this thing irl and had the biggest dumbest grin on my face)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Pendent posted:

The new perils mechanic is easily one of my favorite things about 8th edition. It doesn't come up too terribly often but when it does it can easily be enough to be a game changer.

I kinda miss the tiny chance of your psyker hulking the gently caress out but agreed.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Floppychop posted:

You could go Grey Knights style and have a wrist mounted gun on the off hand.

I thought about this. Because the guys with blades all have shields I don't know how it would work out. I could try and maybe slip a bolter barrel into the little gem-hole in the middle of the shield?

Artum posted:

You know what you must do, technically an axe but whatever.

(i saw this thing irl and had the biggest dumbest grin on my face)

:stare: What the hell is beautiful monstrosity and where do I find one?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Bombogenesis posted:

I thought about this. Because the guys with blades all have shields I don't know how it would work out. I could try and maybe slip a bolter barrel into the little gem-hole in the middle of the shield?

Its a 400 year old axe with a 5 barrel flintlock e: wheellock gun built into a housing behind the axe blade that hinges up stored in the tower of london's armoury.

Was between this and the zweihander thats literally as tall as me (i'm 6'3") for my favourite thing there.

Artum fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 16, 2018

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I don't really have a way to set up a decent army shoot for my Cult (or anything else, sadly).

In other news, Necrons really need to rely on their troops to get poo poo done. I ran a Maynarkh-as-Novokh Vanguard alongside my buddy's Mephrit shooting Spearhead; we got thwomped by troop-spam Primaris Deathwatch and Ultramarines.

Kutlakh the World-Killer led a Pyrrhic charge of Flayed Ones who were focus-fired out of existence after hammering 10 Hellblasters down to like 5; 2 C'tan shards blasted mortal wounds everywhere; Lychguard chopped open a Rhino with 1 wound left; and the loving Deathwatch scum made something on the order of 15 3++ saves, which cost us the game.

I really like the changes to The Relic mission--nothing counts except having the Maguffin.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hixson posted:

o cmon that guy is you

Nope, I dont think i've ever edited or argued over editing a wiki page.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna post this in the Steam thread, but gently caress it, might as well go to a 40k person who somehow hasn't played it.

Dawn of War key: BY2W3-34BY5-RK33F

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It still really bothers me that Relic didnt just make a moba or Last Stand 2

Especially since DoW 3 apparently died in minutes

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Bombogenesis posted:

Ironically, back in the day mall ninja poo poo actually made sense. I haven't seen a gunaxe before but gunswords and gunknives and such were relatively common. Hell, a musket with a bayonet is basically a gunspear. Guns were unreliable and kind of sucked so you wanted a weapon in your hand after you'd fired it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Gunblades have historical basis, but they were never actually practical weapons or in wide use; they were status symbols for either blacksmiths (to prove their skill) or nobles (to prove their wealth), basically "look at this incredibly complex and engraved gun____, I made/could afford it and it might actually work sometimes"

Bayonets however were super common because 1) you needed a long barrel for the bullet to be accurate at all and 2) the long barrel made it an ideal spear shaft.

E: to be even more of a downer, for a gunaxe of that time to be at all useful the barrels would need to be aligned parrallel to the shaft, as axe tactics involved hooking them onto shields and pulling them down.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 16, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Practiced some technique for my planned Primaris Alpha Legion dudes. I suck at applying washes across big surfaces. How is this done without brush strokes?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Practiced some technique for my planned Primaris Alpha Legion dudes. I suck at applying washes across big surfaces. How is this done without brush strokes?

An airbrush, oil paints, or only washing recesses

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Booley posted:

An airbrush, oil paints, or only washing recesses

I didn't think about airbrushing the wash. I will give that a try since airbrushing has made everything else easier.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

goodness posted:

To add to what Booley said. If you purely want the wash to tint the base color hit your base with some gloss varnish. Then add a little gloss varnish to your acrylic wash and spray it on lightly with an airbrush. This was a game changer for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Hixson posted:

To add to what Booley said. If you purely want the wash to tint the base color hit your base with some gloss varnish. Then add a little gloss varnish to your acrylic wash and spray it on lightly with an airbrush. This was a game changer for me

Thanks. Your nightlords look intense, did you use that on them?

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 16, 2018