Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

That's just a standard utilitarianism thought experiment. Although I feel like it's usually used as an argument against utilitarianism, not an actual moral guideline.

Yes, exactly! I read a bit of their stuff when we had a big thread on it, and it's kind of fascinating how they do the exact opposite of philosophy.

Obviously, about fifteen minutes after utilitarianism was proposed, people started coming up with these sort of counterexamples: strict utilitarianism would presumably imply it's better for one person to be horribly tortured than for a sufficiently huge number of people to stub their toe, because if pain sums up across people then enough toe stubbing is "more pain" than one torture. The point of these examples, obviously, is to show that your theory leads you to unreasonable conclusions, so you might need to reasses your theory. And they do the opposite, they go "right, the position we've adopted leads us to this ridiculous poo poo, so must be true. Must be. Because like gently caress am I going back and reconsidering something I've decided is true."

Instead of identifying problems with their assumptions and changing and refining their theories, they just picked something and blindly followed wherever the gently caress it lead. Why did they even choose utilitarianism over something else? No idea, when you apparently don't really question it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/984758695648251905

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Someone who's obviously never shared a bathroom with a woman.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Someone who's obviously never shared a bathroom with a woman.

Agreed, everyone know that women shed their all of their skin naturally at least once a week, leaving behind an empty husk in the shape of their body.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Asiina posted:

Agreed, everyone know that women shed their all of their skin naturally at least once a week, leaving behind an empty husk in the shape of their body.

Whereas men *are* an empty husk!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The great circle of life.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

I dunno, in my experience, women’s razors are way sharper.

But then again, I suck at shaving.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I dunno, in my experience, women’s razors are way sharper.

But then again, I suck at shaving.

A dull razor will cut you more often, a sharp razor will make you bleed more when you do cut yourself.

Asiina posted:

And they'll just leave that lying on the bathroom floor, then have the nerve to complain about you forgetting to put the toilet seat down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Asiina posted:

We need to start giving the incels these husks so they will stop complaining.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Skwirl posted:

A dull razor will cut you more often, a sharp razor will make you bleed more when you do cut yourself.

And they'll just leave that lying on the bathroom floor, then have the nerve to complain about you forgetting to put the toilet seat down.

Yeah, exactly. I bled for 20 minutes once after using a woman’s razor. Didn’t feel a thing until I started treating it. Men’s razor, I’d get a tiny nick that bled for 5 seconds.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sunswipe posted:

Why bother? Just tell them to shut up or you'll make a replica of them in The Sims and lock it in a house without toilets.

Somone in the Black Mirror called me a psychopath for suggesting something like that, those guys get super touchy about AI poo poo.

e: in fact I'm gonna jump back in there cause it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Grem has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Apr 15, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, exactly. I bled for 20 minutes once after using a woman’s razor. Didn’t feel a thing until I started treating it. Men’s razor, I’d get a tiny nick that bled for 5 seconds.

Shaving your face is a more delicate job than shaving your legs.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Skwirl posted:

Shaving your face is a more delicate job than shaving your legs.

Didn’t say it was my face.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
If you've never treated yourself to shaving your nethers with a fancy women's razor you're missing out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Didn’t say it was my face.

Still a delicate job.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Skwirl posted:

Still a delicate job.

What if it's his loving legs?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Grem posted:

What if it's his loving legs?

Then he's terrible at shaving.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
:nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v9RURr5hjg :nws:
edit:I just realized this probably isn't work safe.

Shnag has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Apr 15, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Skwirl posted:

Then he's terrible at shaving.

I did say that up front.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I did say that up front.

Maybe you should just wear long pants instead of shaving your legs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Doc Hawkins posted:

No no no. Time travel isn't possible.

The AI will make perfect simulations of the people who could have helped it, but didn't, being hellishly tortured. That's not just possible, but inevitable!

Oh, and before you say that you don't even care what would happen to your flawless duplicate, read this crank treatise on quantum mechanics to learn why your decision-theory is childish and inconsistent!!

I Have No mouth But I Must Scream :smith:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just lol if you think you aren't already an AI being hellishly tortured.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Asiina posted:

Eventually ketosis kicks in and you stop feeling hungry, but the first 4-5 days can really mess with your head. You feel slow and stupid and can't focus on anything, you're hungry enough to eat your desk, and your mind will straight up tell you lies about how you should totally just have a little something, it'll be fine, it's not a big deal.

People say you get a burst of energy after a few days, but those people are full of it. The hunger feeling does eventually go away, but none of the rest of it does.

Probably depends on the person. When I was first getting into ketosis I had that 4-5 days of being slow and stupid (and very weak) then suddenly BAM, motherfucking ENERGY like you wouldn't believe. I've never experienced anything like that, it was like being on drugs. Bouncing off the walls, having sex over and over, dancing by myself till 3 in the morning, vigorously attacking all those home projects I was always putting off...I felt so powerful I thought I could do anything, hell I even started looking into becoming a foster parent because I knew I could handle it with this kind of energy to drive me.

Then in another 4-5 days it was gone. :(

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

artsy fartsy posted:

Probably depends on the person. When I was first getting into ketosis I had that 4-5 days of being slow and stupid (and very weak) then suddenly BAM, motherfucking ENERGY like you wouldn't believe. I've never experienced anything like that, it was like being on drugs. Bouncing off the walls, having sex over and over, dancing by myself till 3 in the morning, vigorously attacking all those home projects I was always putting off...I felt so powerful I thought I could do anything, hell I even started looking into becoming a foster parent because I knew I could handle it with this kind of energy to drive me.

Maybe you were just manic and calmed down later?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

artsy fartsy posted:

Bouncing off the walls, having sex over and over

Your hand must have been incredibly chafed at the end of that. How long did it take for the blisters to heal?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

artsy fartsy posted:

It sounds more like you're a crazy person.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Yeah that's just wild mood swings. Ketogenic diets are used to treat some forms of epilepsy and have some moderate success in treating bipolar depression so I wouldn't be surprised if you could give yourself hypomania by shooting your cortisol levels through the roof or something.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thank god I don't have to alter my diet to have sex over and over by myself until three in the morning

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hi🤗 I'm Mark Zuckerberg The Director of face👨book.📘

Hello 🤗everyone👨‍👨‍👦‍👦, it seems that all the warnings ⛔️were real😣 face👨book📘®️ use📲 will cost money💰💰💰

If you👨 send 📩this 👇string to 1️⃣8️⃣different 👩‍👩‍👧‍👦from your list, your icon will be blue👤and it will be free🚫💰for you.😊

If you 👨do not🚫 believe me tomorrow📅 at 6️⃣ pm 🌃that face👨book📘 will be closed 📵and to open it you👩‍👩‍👧‍👦 will have to pay💰💰💰😟this is all by law.😖

This message ✉️is to inform 📫all our users 👨‍👨‍👧‍👦that our servers🖥 have recently📅been very congested👨‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦so we are asking for your help 💑to solve✅ this problem. We require that our active 🧗‍♂️users 👩‍👩‍👧‍👦forward 📤this message✉️ to each of the people 👩‍👩‍👧‍👦in your contact list 📂in order to confirm ✅our active ⛹️‍♂️face👨book📘 users👩‍👩‍👧‍👦 if you do not send 📤this message ✉️to all your face👨book📘 contacts📞 then your account📱 will remain inactive 💤with the consequence of Lose all your cont the transmission📲 of this message. 😰Your Smart🧐Phone 📱will be updated within the next 2️⃣4️⃣hours, will have a new design and a new color⚪️⚫️🔴🔵for the chat🗣Dear Face👨book📘 users, we are going to do an up⬆️date📅for face👨book 📘from 2️⃣3️⃣:0️⃣0️⃣ p.m. until 0️⃣5️⃣:0️⃣0️⃣ a.m. on this day. 🌇If you do not send 📤this to all your contacts 📞the up⬆️date📅 will be canceled🚫 and you will not have the possibility🤔to chat🗣 with your face👨book 📘messages✉️

Will go to pay 💰💰💰rate 📈unless you are a frequent user. If you have at least 1️⃣0️⃣ contacts

Send this sms✉️ and the logo will turn red🔴 to indicate that you are a user

Confirmed ... We 👩‍👩‍👧‍👦finish 🎉it for free🚫💰 Tomorrow 📅they start to collect💁‍♂️ the messages ✉️for face👨book📘 at 0️⃣⏺3️⃣7️⃣ cents Forward 📬this message✉️ to more than 9️⃣ people👩‍👩‍👧‍👦 of your contacts📞 and it will be free🚫💰 of life 🤸‍♀️for you to watch 📺and it will turn green ✅the ball 🎾of above☝️ do it and you will see.to 9️⃣of you

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
ctrl+f searched for 'cummies', no results, 0/10

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Easy Cummies Ego

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Easy Cummies Ego

:five:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Skwirl posted:

Maybe you should just wear long pants instead of shaving your legs.

My calves are god-tier, and covering them is a felony.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Some people don't appreciate/understand sarcasm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

My calves are god-tier, and covering them is a felony.

Then learn how to shave without cutting yourself

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Yeah that's just wild mood swings. Ketogenic diets are used to treat some forms of epilepsy and have some moderate success in treating bipolar depression so I wouldn't be surprised if you could give yourself hypomania by shooting your cortisol levels through the roof or something.

Well it was fun as hell, lemme tell you!

Also why does everyone assume I was masturbating, I'm married and have access to fabulous dick thankyouverymuch (it was a fun few days for him as well)

ETA: just looked up hypomania and you're almost certainly right. Another thing that happened was that all food suddenly tasted amazing and I developed cravings for things I previously despised, like sauerkraut (I still really like it now even though flavors have gone back to tasting normal.)

artsy fartsy has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Apr 16, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mountaineer posted:

Some people don't appreciate/understand sarcasm.

Should've praised Obama for a job well done

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They're the same blades in a different packaging so they can charge 40% more to women for the same product BUT PINK!!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Is that why I keep finding curly wads of hair stuck to the shower wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

wallaka posted:

They're the same blades in a different packaging so they can charge 40% more to women for the same product BUT PINK!!!

This, the razors are basically identical except the womens razors cost more.