Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Nancy calls Doreen "babe" towards the end of the issue. I think they're definitely meant to have been a future couple, just in a really low key understated way.

Doreen being bisexual is a very nice development. Especially since the only other bi character I can think of in comics at the moment is Moondragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

After all, I can't see Spawn fans (there have to be some left, yeah?)

I actually saw someone buying a Spawn comic yesterday. It took a lot of willpower to resist going, "Why?!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Random Stranger posted:

I actually saw someone buying a Spawn comic yesterday. It took a lot of willpower to resist going, "Why?!"

BECAUSE IT'S GONNA BE WORTH MONEY BRO

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm hopeful this is getting back to good spencer stuff like superior foes, instead of bad cap spencer.

Maybe having a more grounded character like spidey will suit spencer better. Love this set up as well.

EDIT

Spawn's still going? I thought that poo poo was cancelled years ago.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SilverSupernova posted:

Doreen being bisexual is a very nice development. Especially since the only other bi character I can think of in comics at the moment is Moondragon.

Laura's half-brother/nephew/son? How the hell would you define a relationship between a clone and the son of the cloned person?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

SilverSupernova posted:

I can think of Prodigy and America Chavez off the top of my head. I don't know how "canon" these are, but also Hercules and Deadpool. Unfortunately a number of other bi characters that come to mind fall into pretty dated stereotypes of bi people as voracious sex creeps on the prowl, although more recent writers have used them more sensitively-- characters like Mystique, Loki, and Daken.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Random Stranger posted:

Huh. The comichron sales charts say that an issue of Spawn did just under 17,000 units in February.

I suppose I can buy that there are that many people who've just been in the habit of buying it every month for twenty-five years.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Laura's half-brother/nephew/son? How the hell would you define a relationship between a clone and the son of the cloned person?

I believe the scientific term is "fam".

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Archyduke posted:

I can think of Prodigy and America Chavez off the top of my head. I don't know how "canon" these are, but also Hercules and Deadpool. Unfortunately a number of other bi characters that come to mind fall into pretty dated stereotypes of bi people as voracious sex creeps on the prowl, although more recent writers have used them more sensitively-- characters like Mystique, Loki, and Daken.

America Chavez IDs as a lesbian in Young Avengers. But Ian from Hellcat is bisexual.

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 16, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Deadpool is probably Pansexual.

Now I'm thinking of Kate's line at the end of Young Avengers where she asks if she's the only straight one and America says "I see the way you look at me".

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Latour and Rodriguez leaving Spider-Gwen in July

I can't think of a book that's fallen from grace harder and faster than Spider-Gwen so hopefully this will be a good thing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Latour and Rodriguez leaving Spider-Gwen in July

I can't think of a book that's fallen from grace harder and faster than Spider-Gwen so hopefully this will be a good thing

I've enjoyed Spider-Gwen even after others bailed but frankly if this is the end I hope they just leave it dead instead of bring her into the 616 to be just another guest spider-character to show up in Peter and/or Miles' books.

e: oh misread the quote and thought the book was ending instead of just a creative team switch, nvm

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rhyno posted:

BECAUSE IT'S GONNA BE WORTH MONEY BRO

Haven't they killed not just Malebolgia and Violator but God, the Devil and the cosmic black lady who was revealed to be their super-powerful amoral mother like 15 years ago now or something?

What the gently caress is Spawn even about anymore?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nilbop posted:

Haven't they killed not just Malebolgia and Violator but God, the Devil and the cosmic black lady who was revealed to be their super-powerful amoral mother like 15 years ago now or something?

What the gently caress is Spawn even about anymore?
About seventeen thousand issues per month, True Believer!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ideally your bisexual representation characters would not be rapists.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

How the hell would you define a relationship between a clone and the son of the cloned person?

I feel like you'd use the closest real-world analogue for a human clone, the identical twin. I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere (so who knows if this is even true) that, say, if identical twin men fathered children with identical twin women, the resulting kids, genealogically cousins, could be considered genetic siblings. But you wouldn't call them siblings, cause they aren't. They don't have the same parents, even if they have, uh, the genetically same parents.
So Cable's son is Stryfe's nephew. Clones aren't the same person and they'd probably kick your rear end for suggesting so.
Laura's an interesting case, though. Is she closer to being Logan's (genetic) twin sister or his daughter? She has his X-chromosome, as all women have their father's X-chromosome. And then her other X-chromosome would come from her mother, obviously, and that is.. hm. Logan. Therefore I posit that Laura is Logan's daughter, Logan is Laura's dad-mom, and Daken is her three-quarters brother.

e: has this ever come up in the comics? I can't remember it doing so but I've got a lovely memory. It'd be a fun topic for Gabby to bring up.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 17, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Ideally your bisexual representation characters would not be rapists.

Ideally no characters should be rapists.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SilverSupernova posted:

John Constantine

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Whenever I think about America Chavez I just get sad that her solo, which could have been so good, was just such a mess. I know there were people interested in buying and supporting it, but the writing was just so egregiously poor.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Android Blues posted:

Whenever I think about America Chavez I just get sad that her solo, which could have been so good, was just such a mess. I know there were people interested in buying and supporting it, but the writing was just so egregiously poor.

We're not gonna get another shot at her getting an ongoing for a while are we, even if it was plain that the writer wasn't up to it? Maybe if relaunches weren't the norm they'd have a shot, but it's probably a hard sell without a decent amount of time passing. :( Perhaps America will show up in the next Kate Bishop-containing project Kelly Thompson is writing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Ideally no characters should be rapists.

It is a bit of an odd fit for superhero comics.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

It is a bit of an odd fit for superhero comics.

But people will think they're for kids! :qq::qq::qq::qq:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

July solicits

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-july-2018-solicitations/

X-Men: Grand Design coming back.
X-23 1 + 2
Wakanda Forever: X-Men #1

Sam might be getting killed off in Infinity Countdown

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh hey it’s judge death or whatever he is called.

Also that Spider-Man thing is the most Nick Spencer thing ever.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 17, 2018

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It's cool that Marvel's okay with Hela marrying Thor/Loki when the movies said they were siblings

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

So was the Batman who Laughs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also that Spider-Man thing is the most Nick Spencer thing ever.

My most hated phrase in comics is "Back to its roots!" type poo poo because it leads to the most boring, re-hashed, ultra-worthless stories and writing ever that does nothing especially the consistent desperation to take Spider-man there. JMS was a breath of fresh air when he didn't "take Spider-man back to his roots" versus "Brand New Day" which is still crap to this day. The more memorable stories don't take things "back to their roots." Like the fun some writers had with Superior Spider-man.

"Basics," same poo poo. Stop trying to re-capture your static childhood and do something worth a drat instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

My most hated phrase in comics is "Back to its roots!" type poo poo because it leads to the most boring, re-hashed, ultra-worthless stories and writing ever that does nothing especially the consistent desperation to take Spider-man there. JMS was a breath of fresh air when he didn't "take Spider-man back to his roots" versus "Brand New Day" which is still crap to this day. The more memorable stories don't take things "back to their roots." Like the fun some writers had with Superior Spider-man.

"Basics," same poo poo. Stop trying to re-capture your static childhood and do something worth a drat instead.

But he is also going to add mysteries and revelations!

You know the thing that worked for Morning Glories and UXM.

Maybe he will get kicked off as quickly as he did for UXM.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Anyone wanna set an over/under on how many issues before Slott turns Galactus back into the world eater? Despite Ewing's whole Ultimates run being about how entropy is bullshit and change is life?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Anyone wanna set an over/under on how many issues before Slott turns Galactus back into the world eater? Despite Ewing's whole Ultimates run being about how entropy is bullshit and change is life?

I think you mean revert everything Doom's gone through in the last 6 years or however long it's been since Reed and Val fixed him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you mean revert everything Doom's gone through in the last 6 years or however long it's been since Reed and Val fixed him.

Reed didn't so much "fix him" as he "beat him up until he cut his self-righteous bullshit"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
somehow in the first ff issue doom get his face blown up again when reed comes back so he gets blamed and everything old is new again

anyways my only thought after reading july solicits is i like the gurihiru cover for squirrelgirl/ms marvel and i guess theres cosmic ghost rider

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's cool that Marvel's okay with Hela marrying Thor/Loki when the movies said they were siblings

I'm not familiar with Norse mythology, but that poo poo happened all the time in Greek myths.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Roth posted:

July solicits

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-july-2018-solicitations/

X-Men: Grand Design coming back.
X-23 1 + 2
Wakanda Forever: X-Men #1

Sam might be getting killed off in Infinity Countdown

Looks kind of like Earth X Black Bolt.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Open Marriage Night posted:

Looks kind of like Earth X Black Bolt.

I assumed it was old man Darkhawk

Edit: oh, but I see the upside down tuning fork on the head now. Hmmmm :crossarms:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Skwirl posted:

I'm not familiar with Norse mythology, but that poo poo happened all the time in Greek myths.

I mean, it's weird that Loki and Hela are siblings in the movie when in actual Myth Hela is Loki's daughter and sibling to the Fenris Wolf and Jormungandr.

Point being none of this poo poo matters to the other medium and never actually has beyond maybe the existence of Nick Fury Jr and "Cheese" Coulson.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Loki's already had a weird relationship with Hela, long before Ragnarok.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Loki's already had a weird relationship with Hela, long before Ragnarok.

Isn't Hela her own creation in an infinite time loop in the 616?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Isn't Hela her own creation in an infinite time loop in the 616?

Unless they've retconned it.

• Locked thread