Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

and it doesn't have a catapult it just has a ramp :stare:

Lack of a catapult isn't necessarily a bad thing though? Cheaper, simpler to maintain and operate, less harsh on the planes' landing gear. If you just need a carrier to provide fleet air defense and light attack capabilities it's perfectly fine. Most non US aircraft carriers operate with only a ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Lack of a catapult isn't necessarily a bad thing though? Cheaper, simpler to maintain and operate, less harsh on the planes' landing gear. If you just need a carrier to provide fleet air defense and light attack capabilities it's perfectly fine. Most non US aircraft carriers operate with only a ramp.

It severely limits combat payloads.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nikki Haley said at the UN that the Trump Administration would be slapping new sanctions on Russia today because of Syria, and now the White House has said lol no we're not.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This might explain why there were so many corpses on the ground floor of the apartment hit, from the interview with the survivor in the Swedish video:
https://twitter.com/holammer/status/985953417880330240

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

OMFG...not even my fuckup highschool band I was part of ever had such out-of-tune instruments. This was awesome. :D

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CrazyLoon posted:

OMFG...not even my fuckup highschool band I was part of ever had such out-of-tune instruments. This was awesome. :D

It's the musical equivalent of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8LSnuGTO5w

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OctaMurk posted:

sorry friend I didn't mean to question the superior planning that lead to the superior smoke projection capabilities of the glorious admiral kuznetsov

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I see no reason why people back under fascist and russian occupation would say anything to not get themselves shoved into an assad oven.

Also, robert fisk has pretty much shredded whatever's left of any credibility he had with this loving propaganda tour. wow what a huge downfall for that twat.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

sorry friend I didn't mean to question the superior planning that lead to the superior smoke projection capabilities of the glorious admiral kuznetsov
remember when it was belching out so much smoke you could see it from space

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OctaMurk posted:

Our glorious biplanes provide superior maneuverability compared to the decadent fighter jets of the western pig countries.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

HorrificExistence posted:

All I hear is that the might of the Russian navy is visible from space.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is what Kuznetsov looks like on the inside:

There was a whole leaked album, and this picture was one of the more complimentary ones

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hachi machi, there's no way to source this claim if it's true, but according to aljazeera theres been a leak of diplomatic cables from the the embassies of UAE and Jordan in beirut which has stuff like the UAE sheikh working to split saudi arabia apart and that the jordanian ambassador thinks that saudi is on it's way to geopolitical disaster and doesnt know what the gently caress its doing. there's absolutely no way to verify if this is true and the source of the leak seems dubious.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Sergg posted:

I still think the term Apartheid or at least "Diet Apartheid" apply to the Syrian government, as well as "fascist", for the record, based on the massively disproportionate power Alawites have over every lever of social dominance in Syria and their zealous devotion to maintain that power through brutal violence, which is basically the root cause of this war, which happens every generation as per the above paragraph.

Alright well it's clear (after the third, what, fourth time?) you're not going to explain yourself and you're just going to keep lying about how Syria is literally an Apartheid state on par with South Africa and Rhodesia without saying why other than repeating over and over that it's true and that "you think so" based on whatever nebulous feeling you have. This narrative you keep pushing where you claim that "every level of social dominance" (whatever the gently caress that means, I think that could be phrased better) is controlled by Alawites based off of ??? and knowledge that you seemingly are hiding from the rest of us who weren't graced with bachelor's degrees in history isn't very convincing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Morzhovyye posted:

Alright well it's clear (after the third, what, fourth time?) you're not going to explain yourself and you're just going to keep lying about how Syria is literally an Apartheid state on par with South Africa and Rhodesia without saying why other than repeating over and over that it's true and that "you think so" based on whatever nebulous feeling you have. This narrative you keep pushing where you claim that "every level of social dominance" (whatever the gently caress that means, I think that could be phrased better) is controlled by Alawites based off of ??? and knowledge that you seemingly are hiding from the rest of us who weren't graced with bachelor's degrees in history isn't very convincing.

Syria is an apartheid state on par with Israel broheim.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Looking like the North Homs pocket might Assad's next target. Lots of bombing and clashes there in the last couple of days.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Morzhovyye posted:

While I've already suggested that Sergg may have gone too far in his conclusions, there's a wide body of research on the sectarian basis of power in the Syrian government. Here's a random quotation I pulled from a paper published in 1980:

Van Dam, Nikolaos. "Middle Eastern Political Clichés:“Takriti” and “Sunni rule” in Iraq;“Alawi rule” in Syria." Orient 21 (1980): 330-332.

Though if you are interested in more practical complexities of identity that relate to the current conflict, this report published in 2015 offers a very interesting look at one neighborhood inhabited by moth Sunni and Alawite officers of the Syrian army.

http://carnegieendowment.org/files/ACMR_Khaddour_Syria_Eng_final.pdf

KHEDER KHADDOUR posted:

The 2011 uprising had the effect of driving Alawite officers even closer to the army without necessarily strengthening ties between them and Alawite civilians. One Alawite officer described the predominately Alawite Esh al-Warwar neighborhood near Dahia as follows: “Esh al-Warwar is close to Dahia, but I [have] never been there. They are street people [shabeen].” Before the uprising, the officer and his family used to say that the Alawites of Esh al-Warwar were “cattle and gypsies” (baqar wa shrashih).12 The daughter of another officer in Dahia expressed similar sentiments about Alawites from Esh al-Warwar: “The Alawite officer is closer to the Sunni officer than he is to an Alawite from Esh al-Warwar, because they say the Alawites of Esh al-Warwar are lower than them. My motherspeaks badly about those people in Esh al-Warwar. The community[negatively] affects the Alawite image in the capital.”13

The relationship between these two Alawite communities has somewhat evolved since the uprising began. Alawite officers’ sentiment in Dahia toward their neighboring Alawite community morphed to some degree from hostility to pity, in part reflecting the uptick in sectarian solidarity after the conflict erupted. After Esh al-Warwar came under attack from rebels in the neighboring area of Barzeh, Alawite officers in Dahiet al-Assad began describing people from Esh al-Warwar as “poor,” “simple,” and “deserving of pity and protection.”14 However, officers in Dahia did not rush to support the residents in their fight against the rebels, nor, as the conflict evolved, were new linkages developed between the two Alawite communities despite their shared position on a sectarian border.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

at some point someone dubbed this over the majestic voyage of the Admiral Kuznetsov and it was perfect

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

steinrokkan posted:

There was a whole leaked album, and this picture was one of the more complimentary ones

I'm the empty No. 10 food can being used to catch grease drips.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Israel seems to be launching another round of strikes targeting Iran more aggressively in Syria, and I can't help wondering how long Russia's going to sit and watch while Israel continues to do this, especially since Israeli politicians keep making a point of loudly saying they won't let Russia stop them. Obviously Russia isn't going to start bombing Israel or anything, but they were able to deter Turkey earlier in the war by shifting AA assets, and it seems like Russia should be more than capable of at least limiting Israel's options if they really wanted to. On the other hand, allowing Israel to limit Iran's influence could be something Russia doesn't mind too much (to a certain point at least) since it helps them maintain their status as the senior partner in their alliance of convenience.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

wow those resistance axis and russian folks sure are a bunch of pussies when their target isnt a defenseless civilian population.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

steinrokkan posted:

:allears:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Israel seems to be launching another round of strikes targeting Iran more aggressively in Syria, and I can't help wondering how long Russia's going to sit and watch while Israel continues to do this, especially since Israeli politicians keep making a point of loudly saying they won't let Russia stop them. Obviously Russia isn't going to start bombing Israel or anything, but they were able to deter Turkey earlier in the war by shifting AA assets, and it seems like Russia should be more than capable of at least limiting Israel's options if they really wanted to. On the other hand, allowing Israel to limit Iran's influence could be something Russia doesn't mind too much (to a certain point at least) since it helps them maintain their status as the senior partner in their alliance of convenience.

Russia would need to fight a competent and modern military at the limits of their own ability to project force. Israel would have a reasonable chance to embarrass the hell out of Russia in that kind of fight and definitely do serious damage to the Russian efforts in Syria.

If they do nothing then it just means some Iranians die and maybe Iran will even be in the market for more wunderwaffe.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 17, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Warbadger posted:

Russia would need to fight a competent and modern military at the limits of their own ability to project force. Israel would have a reasonable chance to embarrass the hell out of Russia in that kind of fight and definitely do serious damage to the Russian efforts in Syria.

If they do nothing then it just means some Iranians die and maybe Iran will even be in the market for more wunderwaffe.

Picking a fight with Russia now to try to preempt a fight with Iran down the line seems like a bad tradeoff to me. Yeah, if Russia and Israel actually started dogfighting and trading missiles and poo poo it could get messy for Russia, but there's a significant chance of a negative outcome for Israel too, so why would Israel be crazy enough to attack Russians? I'm not saying Russia should shoot down the next Israeli plane that crosses the border either, just that making it clear that Israel doesn't have free rein to tell Russia to gently caress off and do whatever they want with impunity seems like it would be in Russia's interest, especially since it might invite other outside powers to feel that they don't need to limit their own interventions in the future.

On another note, unless this force continues to be unquestioningly backed by US air power, it seems like a really solid recipe for substantially heating up the cold war between Saudi Arabia and Iran:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/986055967593914369

Hasn't Egypt been surprisingly pro-Assad? They seem like a weird choice.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 17, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Israel is acting 100% in accordance with USFP goals, they might as well be acting purely as an American agent in this case. Especially with the loving ascendancy of god damned Boltonism. I wouldn't be surprised if they are specifically acting as an intermediary in order to keep american involvement ostensibly minimal.

It probably isn't, but only because Israel desires a weak Iran every bit as badly.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 17, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Hasn't Egypt been surprisingly pro-Assad? They seem like a weird choice.

The military is just as dependent on US aid under Sisi's regime as they were under those who came before him.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Squalid posted:

While I've already suggested that Sergg may have gone too far in his conclusions, there's a wide body of research on the sectarian basis of power in the Syrian government. Here's a random quotation I pulled from a paper published in 1980:

Van Dam, Nikolaos. "Middle Eastern Political Clichés:“Takriti” and “Sunni rule” in Iraq;“Alawi rule” in Syria." Orient 21 (1980): 330-332.

Though if you are interested in more practical complexities of identity that relate to the current conflict, this report published in 2015 offers a very interesting look at one neighborhood inhabited by moth Sunni and Alawite officers of the Syrian army.

http://carnegieendowment.org/files/ACMR_Khaddour_Syria_Eng_final.pdf

Thanks for the link. I googled one of the sources cited in that work and it's kind of amusing. It's titled "Second Class: The Grievances of Sunni Officers in the Syrian Armed Forces". They're not allowed to attend a mosque service and go out of their way to never park by mosques because praying at one will get them interviewed by Mukhabarat. They complain about being forced to drink whiskey and alcohol in public, and being forced to show Alawite officers their wives' faces when they visit each others' homes. If you're Sunni and want to rise through the ranks of the Syrian military, you have to be anti-religious. Rooms and dormitories in the military academy are informally segregated by sect. Sunnis get the worst postings. A lot of the most common complaints are about money, since Alawites control all the patronage systems that get you cars, houses, bank loans, etc. They estimate that about half of the Sunni officers had defected by 2014, but the same mechanisms which fed the corruption also kept the majority of Syria's officer corps loyal.

http://www.academia.edu/17481977/_Second_Class_the_Grievances_of_Sunni_Officers_in_the_Syrian_Armed_Forces_

Interestingly enough the paper also mentions that the Alawites and Druze had come to dominate the military by the 1960s and eventually the Alawites purged the Druze out by 1963. Also something I've read in several other papers and sources, which is that the 1979 massacre of the Aleppo Artillery School was some kind of focal point which cemented Alawite attitudes towards Sunnis as inherently disloyal or untrustworthy. The Sunni officer in charge of the artillery school called his Alawite cadets to muster in the mess hall and then had several Jihadists who were linked with the Muslim Brotherhood armed with AK-47s and grenades waiting for them. They massacred 83 Alawi cadets. This event seemed to have sparked off a cycle of terrorist attacks and government repression that culminated in open civil war in Aleppo in 1980, mass strikes in other cities, and eventually a full blown uprising that ended with the destruction of Hama.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 17, 2018

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte
There was a bunch of noise today about strikes in Syria, presumably from the Israelis, has anyone seen anything concrete?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

All I hear is that the might of the Russian navy is visible from space.

Listen, real talk, I went to Navy day in St. Petersburg once. It was all very cool, they had submarines in the Neva and some Tu-95 flew over us. It was all very spectacular, but it convinced me of one thing, the Russian military exists for parades. Don't know if they are good at much else.

The Orgasm Sanction posted:

There was a bunch of noise today about strikes in Syria, presumably from the Israelis, has anyone seen anything concrete?

https://twitter.com/AsafRonel/status/986099927045623808

sounds like nothing

I love that they just consistently claim shooting down every missile so that there is no evidence the attack even happened.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Hey Brown Moses, I've been looking at pics of the chlorine bomb that killed all those people in the apartment in Duoma. Western intelligence agencies claimed that the hair, urine, and blood samples smuggled out of the area indicated the victims suffered from both chlorine gas poisoning as well as exposure some kind of nerve agent similar to Sarin. Since chlorine bombs are rarely so deadly, I'm wondering is the munition spiked with a pinch of nerve gas to increase its lethality without increasing its media profile?

From the pictures and videos of it, it's made up of two parts: 1) industrial chlorine cylinder and 2) metal superstructure.

The metal superstructure isn't welded on but bolted around the cylinder. It consists of
1) Tail fins
2) Steel rebar with horizontal carriage loops
3) A pan-shaped metal nose plate

My friends at the University of Michigan chem department say that you would have to HEAVILY modify any kind of organophosphate in order to mix it with compressed chlorine gas, or else it would literally combust and explode on the spot. Who has possession of the munition now? I know the regime took the area recently but were locals able to smuggle it out? The way it seems to me, the only feasible hiding spot on that thing for nerve gas would be to put some kind of small breakable submunition between the tip of the cylinder and the face plate that would be crushed between the two and release its payload upon impact.

My friends at the chem department's working theory is just that since Duoma's been under siege for so long, the people have been eating whatever food they could acquire from smugglers which may have contained heavy residues of organophosphate pesticides and unsuitable for sale in normal markets.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

the jordanian ambassador thinks that saudi is on it's way to geopolitical disaster and doesnt know what the gently caress its doing.

Even if the leak is fake, this part is still accurate. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

Syria is an apartheid state on par with Israel broheim.

Fishmech you not correcting them on the minutae of political terminology is terrifying

Were you replaced with a pod person? :v:

MiddleOne posted:

The military is just as dependent on US aid under Sisi's regime as they were under those who came before him.

Yeah, those three nations were picked because they could foot the bill themselves rather than any tactical reasoning.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Listen, real talk, I went to Navy day in St. Petersburg once. It was all very cool, they had submarines in the Neva and some Tu-95 flew over us. It was all very spectacular, but it convinced me of one thing, the Russian military exists for parades. Don't know if they are good at much else.

Sustained operations in Syria, which saved their ally there from the brink of destruction. In terms of operational capability this puts them miles ahead of any euro country which can't operate for more than a couple hours internationally without US support. Russia just looks kinda pathetic because loving nothing compares to the US military in terms of force projection, but ignoring the US, no other country in the world could do what they are doing militarily right now. Maybe China?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Isn’t France pretty DIY in Mali and Cote d’Ivoire?

VVVV Huh, interesting. Not that I've ever really looked into it, but for some reason I had the impression that France was the only non-Turkey NATO country that actually has any military-industrial capabilities or that has acted independently of the US since like 1990.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 17, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Saladman posted:

Isn’t France pretty DIY in Mali and Cote d’Ivoire?

US covers a lot of the backend of these West African operations. Yeah it’s mostly French guys on the ground, but when they need to do aerial refueling or shuffle equipment around the world, they need US help. The US NGA and NSA also offer a lot of intelligence gathering capabilities France doesn’t have itself.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Here's a way way way worse idea than the GCC plan for Syria.

https://twitter.com/DionNissenbaum/status/986258453021839360

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

[...] the UAE sheikh working to split saudi arabia apart

Assuming this is real and plausible how would you break up Saudi Aradia? From my understanding there isnt really any logical, and even historical maybe, division lines outside of Mecca and Medina becoming their own state.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A few journalists who visited Douma managed to visit the apartment building that was attack, interview witnesses and film the impact site:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/986282173375369216

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/986283113625112577

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/986284059495206917

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Who is that guy and what does he want to do? Send robots to Syria? Paid for by Mexico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

So is this guy running a murder charity?

I mean honestly can we at least try to sound credible with the blatant lies