Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Berke Negri posted:

dope schick seems like a cool dude too

Can confirm, super cool dude. Also invented owlbears and myconids and Corellon Larethian, the original genderfluid elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That's how all elves look to me anyway.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So my wife got really into this last night just running around and killing poo poo on my account. She wants to start playing herself and probably doesn't need ESO plus - do I need to buy a separate version of the game for her? Or can she just make an account and run my version of the game that I already bought (through Steam)?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

The account is the purchase.

Make her a character, but then you can't play, because that's per account.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what is a decent pve tank that also survives well in pvp? i'm coming back to the game after not playing since MW launch.

i have a NB, templar, and warden all mostly leveled to max, but i'll level anything. heavy armor is a plus.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Hakarne posted:

So my wife got really into this last night just running around and killing poo poo on my account. She wants to start playing herself and probably doesn't need ESO plus - do I need to buy a separate version of the game for her? Or can she just make an account and run my version of the game that I already bought (through Steam)?

If you are gauging her interest, on Kinguin website Steam gifts of the base game sell for 8-12$ a pop. It’s a very cheap entry price into the game for her to find out if she likes them. Presumably she already has a steam acco.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what is a decent pve tank that also survives well in pvp? i'm coming back to the game after not playing since MW launch.

i have a NB, templar, and warden all mostly leveled to max, but i'll level anything. heavy armor is a plus.

I have a Templar that I've specced to be a sort of Paladin tank. Fantastic for vet dungeons and (thus far) normal trials. He's also what I usually bring into Cyrodiil. Damage is kinda meh (as with most tanks) but super survivable and can kick in some solid heals and utility.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can someone add @morag_rask to the goon guild and also tell me why the hell it's impossible to find a set of heavy armor if you start on morrowind

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Please, I beg of you, don't level as tank.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
did they change something or can i still get skill line xp by slotting an ability you can't use? in the past i would just slot a 1h ability and use the two hander to actually do combat, same with wearing enough heavy armor to build xp but actually mostly wear medium.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

All that is exactly right.

They just changed it as of Morrowind, that you need to equip 3 of something to unlock the skill tree, but you'll still gain secret XP towards it if you are wearing it at all.

A goon just realized that he never actually put 3 heavy on, did so, and saw he was already rank 50.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does the amount of XP a tree gets depend on how many slotted skills you have?

My Aedric Spear skills level way faster than Dawn's Wrath / Restoring Light skills. Is that just because I use it the most, or because I have more AS skills slotted than anything else

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Correct! The more skills you have of a particular skill line on your bar, the faster that line will level overall.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

What doesn't level up secretly is Fighters Guild. Immediately take it so you don't waste the free rep from murdering any daedra or werewolves.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Right, Mage's Guild is like that too. Nothing spells tedium like the Mage's Guild book hunt grind.

Actually, I believe all of the guild lines (and Alliance War lines) level in their own way rather than being raised solely through XP gain.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
A lackluster experience with a less-than-competent tank yesterday made me consider respeccing my sorcerer for the role, especially since my friend already runs as a healer in group content, and I was trying to determine if frost staff tanking is actually viable currently? The build advice I've seen (Alcast and the official built-in spec) both say sword-and-board, and even the few recent-ish posts I've seen on the subject on the official forums and Reddit tend toward "use it as a back bar to sword-and-board and/or be a Warden if you want to do it". I imagine it'll become a bit better with Summerset and the two-hander set bonus change, but, until then, how doable would a pure-magicka Altmer frost staff sorc be? What sort of abilities would you run (Hardened Ward? Clannfear? etc.)?

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
@gbuchold on the US server, guild me up if you please

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Were the Beta codes for Summerset legit? Don't know if I want to spoil myself before playing for real.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

zjentohlauedy posted:

I guess i'm going to keep playing this, so can I get a guild invite? @tesoegh

Not sure if this was missed, but invite please? PC US @tesoegh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I hit 25 last night, still enjoying the game itself but I'm a little bored with my Stamplar. Combat generally revolves around "charge in and mash 1 until it's dead or out of Stamina" and dungeons aren't much more complicated either. Use Backlash on bosses.

Are other classes more involved? Or does it get more interesting at level cap? I don't really want to reroll

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

So I hit 25 last night, still enjoying the game itself but I'm a little bored with my Stamplar. Combat generally revolves around "charge in and mash 1 until it's dead or out of Stamina" and dungeons aren't much more complicated either. Use Backlash on bosses.

Are other classes more involved? Or does it get more interesting at level cap? I don't really want to reroll
I can't speak for stamplar specifically, but any class is going to be pretty simple (or will survive without difficulty) in overland questing and delves. You definitely have some more AoE damage you can contribute in dungeons and dots for bosses. Are you soloing public dungeons? Fighting 5+ enemies and the harder-than-usual bosses in those will be more stimulating. As DPS you'll eventually be using a rotation to maximize DPS if you decide to do trial content or vet dungeon bosses, and working on some of that earlier will help you get used to it, and keep things interesting.

As an example, my 2h stamsorc can just run up and hit 1, 1, 2 and kill any non-boss. Hell, with critical surge I could probably just run into groups of enemies and light attack to death since my normal attacks are AoE due to the 2h passive. But instead I usually try to start with my bow, endless hail, run at them while arrow spraying, and then lay into them with 2h skills. I always keep hurricane and critical surge buffs up. For bosses I want my dots, like poison arrow maintained at all times.

In other words, for easy content you basically have to make your own fun, and in group content the goal is to contribute as much as possible.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Pretty much what Dromal said. It's easy to plow through overland content by pressing a couple buttons. To really improve your DPS and contribute to groups it's worth getting the handle on a rotation (more so for trials and vet dungeons). My stamblade rotation is basically:

DRINK SUPERMAN POTION

Buff with Leeching Strikes/Relentless Focus/Deadly Cloak

Bow Bar: Rearming Trap > Endless Hail > Razor Caltrops >Poison Injection > SWAP
DW Bar: Surprise Attack > Rending Slashes > Relentless Focus bow proc > Start over again

All the while I'm dodging mechanics, weaving in light and heavy attacks to proc the Relentless Focus bow, keeping buffs/potion up, hitting my ultimates when they're up, and keeping an eye on the boss' health to start executing with Killer's Blade at 25% and lower (while continuing to do all of the above). So yes, it gets a fair bit more involved at endgame if you want to be good at it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Overland stuff is laughably easy, you'll want to run 4man content/trials/pvp if you want to actually enjoy a legitimate challenge.

Or if you're like me you'll join a toxic pvp discord and talk poo poo all day.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 17, 2018

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I played this at launch and seeing that its f2p now I reinstalled. If I understand this whole one tamriel thing correctly, your faction only matters for pvp and starting position now - a guild and the maps are available for all. Correct?

And why would I want to buy DLCs expansion packs? They are apparently not needed for levelling, so I only need to get them if I want the specific skills/classes/regions they offer. Or maybe the expansion packs also offer endgame content?

What factor decided whether a build is magica based or stamina based? Do I just need to select fitting skills that use magica/stamina (or morph them to use the desired stat is available)? Weapon damage apparently also scales with a stat. Are certain weapons magica based while others are sta based, or is the deciding factor something else?

At level cap its probably somewhat easy to switch between builds that all use the same predominant stat, while switching to the other one is hard because I would need new gear, correct? If so, which class/stat combination gives me the biggest amount of options regarding tanking/healing/damage and pvp?
Also are there some up-to-date build collections? The ones in the OP havent been edited for two years now :)

Scyantific posted:

Overland stuff is laughably easy, you'll want to run 4man content/trials/pvp if you want to actually enjoy a legitimate challenge.
At what level would that start?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 17, 2018

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Most people can start around 160, tho for serious stuff you'll want around 300 or so Champion Points since a majority of the harder content is balanced around players with that amount.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alcast has good up to date builds. Don't put too much effort into it now though because they'll probably all change when Summerset comes out

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Nektu posted:

What factor decided whether a build is magica based or stamina based? Do I just need to select fitting skills that use magica/stamina (or morph them to use the desired stat is available)? Weapon damage apparently also scales with a stat. Are certain weapons magica based while others are sta based, or is the deciding factor something else?

General rule of thumb (from a PvE perspective):

Magicka DPS typically use a Destruction Staff/Destruction Staff setup and should put all (or close to all) attributes into magicka. They have a wider selection of class skills to use.
Stamina DPS typically use a Dual Wield/Bow or Twohand/Bow setup and should put all (or close to all) attributes into stamina. Stamina DPS uses more weapon skills and guild skills over class skills.
Healers are magicka based and tend to use a Restoration Staff/Destruction Staff setup with all points into magicka
Tanks are often built as hybrids as their skill loadouts tend to use a mix of both magicka and stamina skills ( and they always need stamina to block, unless you're tanking with an ice staff)

If you're speccing as DPS, make sure that the skills you have slotted generally reflect your primary stat (ie-don't use a bunch of stamina skills in a magicka setup). Weapons are indeed rooted in either magicka or stamina (in regards to the skills they offer), so it's best to choose a weapon to reflect that. An exception to that would be tanks - sword/shield is the preferred tanking weapon of choice and is used regardless of whether the setup is stamina, magicka or hybrid.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Also worth noting that Staff Heavy Attacks restore magicka, and Melee/Bow Heavy Attacks restore stamina. So Dual Wielding as a magplar is going to gently caress with your sustain.

This might be a bit beyond your question, but I'd recommend mag DPS have a resto on the back bar for leveling. Groups in non-veteran non-dlc content don't require a dedicated 100% healer and you can easily queue as a healer and spend half or more of the time DPSing. It's not bad to have the skill leveled, and depending on class you might not have the greatest self-heal from your class skills.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i did a random dungeon yesterday and with anniversary cake and a crown scroll i went from level 10 to level 16, game is good

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I discovered just how silly the Random Dungeon Daily bonus is. At first it was giving me more XP than I needed to level, but now it gives slightly less at level 25.

I went into one last night at 22, and came out 25 between XP from killing, the quest inside the Dungeon, and the daily bonus.

On a related note, what time does that bonus reset?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sab669 posted:

Yea I discovered just how silly the Random Dungeon Daily bonus is. At first it was giving me more XP than I needed to level, but now it gives slightly less at level 25.

I went into one last night at 22, and came out 25 between XP from killing, the quest inside the Dungeon, and the daily bonus.

On a related note, what time does that bonus reset?

Daily

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not sure where you're at obviously, but I think it's 11PM pacific time.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Daily dungeon bonus XP resets 20 hours after you've done one

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh, maybe it was pledges/writs I was thinking of then.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh, maybe it was pledges/writs I was thinking of then.

Yeah pledges/writs/daily quests reset at 1am CST.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

now I can't play until at least Friday :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
Apparently the Maormer motif is coming in Summerset, but unfortunately will a) be in whale crates and b) will drop one page at a time in whale crates. There's been several sightings of "LITERAL SLAP IN THE FACE" on the official forums today.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get it to 69% now

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

MH Knights posted:

Were the Beta codes for Summerset legit? Don't know if I want to spoil myself before playing for real.
The beta code thing should be 100% legit: Zenimax will mail you about a code but it will be already automatically applied to your account without you having to do anything.
So if you want to spoil yourself, all you have to do is download the PTS client and you should have full access to Summerset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah pledges/writs/daily quests reset at 1am CST.

And at 12 AM CST during standard time. Which is annoying, since I can't blow through two days worth of writs right after I get home from work like I was doing before.

I have a bunch of alts I need to level, and I hope I have time to get some use out of the exp. bonus before the event ends. It's been, like, a year since I last got a character to level 50.