Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Regardless of theology the impression I always get is that he generally acts from a position of genuine love and regard for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TOOT BOOT posted:

Plus he doesn't look like Emperor Palpatine.
he and benedict have largely the same positions and are friends irl, just one of them is awkward in public and one of them is charismatic

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
his opinions on trans people are Really Bad, which is ironic cause he's a jesuit and the jesuits in rome did a funeral for a murdered homeless trans girl and used the correct pronouns for her

EDIT: i'll give francis this over benedict; frank has a better track record with promoting social justice

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

his opinions on trans people are Really Bad, which is ironic cause he's a jesuit and the jesuits in rome did a funeral for a murdered homeless trans girl and used the correct pronouns for her
but americans confuse dressing simply with virtuousness so they will continue to fanboy over him and hate benedict

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean they also like a guy saying "hey help the poor you stupid fucks, don't just talk about the unborn" except for the ones who don't

but they reaaaaally like quoting "who am i to judge," but i also like doing that but in a subversive way

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

mods change my name posted:

i mean the printing press did have a bit of a smaller audience at the time and was probably the biggest impact on human literacy but no maybe only digital advertising is the only real mass media

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You're a 35 year old monk. The hair they didn't shave off your head has all turned grey. Your nose barely brushes the paper as strain-induced myopia slows your work to a crawl. Your spine twisted into a permanent hunch from 25 years of writing after your parents sold you to the abbey. Two painstaking months go by and you produce your life's masterpiece: a full vellum illuminated page, your finest work yet. Your eyes are wide with pride as the noble picks up his order. "Thanks bruh", he says, hastily scribbling "end nudes" on the vellum. With a cry of "HEY WENCH!" he crumples the culmination of the monk's life and throws it at a large breasted milkmaid nearby.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

i mean they also like a guy saying "hey help the poor you stupid fucks, don't just talk about the unborn"
my point is benedict did that as well. very similar policies. one gets demonized and one gets lionized because benedict isn't good looking and lol emperor palpatine anyone

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HEY GUNS posted:

my point is benedict did that as well. very similar policies. one gets demonized and one gets lionized because benedict isn't good looking and lol emperor palpatine anyone

From the beginning of this thread as “I’m Catholic Ask Me” to its current iteration, I have pretty much 180’d on my feelings about Pope Benedict.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Different faces and personalities, but the same spirit of holiness. The same mortally imperfect nature, too, for which there will be a full accounting, and the same redemption.

It's unfortunate that a)people are cruel and b)Joseph Ratzinger did not age well. Pope Francis's warmth, though, has been more exemplary to me of the day-to-day holiness that everyday people can see and taste. Pope Benedict may be the more gifted instructor for the life of the mind, but Francis is the better teacher for the life of the heart. And both men are easily misunderstood.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Caufman posted:

a)people are cruel and b)Joseph Ratzinger did not age well.
don't smoke, friends. his pallor and black circles under his eyes are textbook bad circulation caused by smoking.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

monks; well known for their illuminated copies of the simalrillion

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah but benedict said the greatest threat to christianity in the 20th century was buddhism so like i feel like he's got different, albeit similar, baggage

also frank got us st oscar romero and i gotta give him rpops for that even tho i'm an imperialist nuclear weapon

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

I don't actually know all that much about either of them, its just Francis has a bunch of fluff pieces in the news every so often and it's easy to get a sense he genuinely loves people.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Senju Kannon posted:

monks; well known for their illuminated copies of the simalrillion

yeah but benedict said the greatest threat to christianity in the 20th century was buddhism so like i feel like he's got different, albeit similar, baggage

also frank got us st oscar romero and i gotta give him rpops for that even tho i'm an imperialist nuclear weapon

I was kinda surprised by that statement, so I looked it up: the whole thing seems to come down to an interview Ratzinger gave to a French magazine in 1997 as a cardinal, from which his answers reached the anglosphere after a series of mistranslations and antagonistic readings. For one, he didn’t say that Buddhism was Christianity’s great enemy, but instead said that „in 1950 somebody said that Buddhism will be Christianity’s greatest challenge (défis)“. His usage of autoérotisme in describing the allure Buddhism has for many Christians also would be more properly translated as „self-absorption“.

The French original:

quote:

[U]n vrai dialogue n'est pas un mouvement dans le vide. Il a un but: la recherche commune de la vérité. Un chrétien ne peut pas renoncer à sa connaissance de la vérité, révélée pour lui en Jésus-Christ, fils unique de Dieu. Si le bouddhisme séduit, c'est parce qu'il apparaît comme une possibilité de toucher à l'infini, à la félicité sans avoir d'obligations religieuses concrètes. Un autoérotisme spirituel, en quelque sorte. Quelqu'un avait justement prédit, dans les années 1950, que le défi de l'Eglise au XXe siècle serait non pas le marxisme, mais le bouddhisme.

A translation I lifted from a blog which seems good to my had-three-years-of-French-half-a-lifetime-ago eyes:

quote:

[A] true dialogue does not happen in a vacuum. It has as its goal a common search for the truth. A Christian cannot give up his revealed truth, that Jesus Christ is the only son of God. If they are attracted to Buddhism, this is because it offers a possibility of happiness by touching the infinite, without having concrete religious obligations. It is, to some extent, a spiritual self-absorption. Somebody predicted in 1950, that the challenge to the Church in the 20th century would not be Marxism, but Buddhism.

which seems mainly concerned with some westerners taking up Buddhism as a lifestyle of sorts. So yeah, as so often much of what Benedict said got lost in translation or was skewed by somebody who had preconceived notions of what evil ol’ Ratzinger was up to. Not to say that all of his opinions suddenly are great, but it’s imo mainly what Hay gal said: one pope looks like a cool uncle from Argentina and has a way with words, whereas the other didn’t age all that well, used to be head of the ~inquisition~ (so spooky!) and loves debating christological minutiae, so people adore the one and at best ignore/at worst openly despise the other even though outside of some externalities their theology and mission were super similar.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 17, 2018

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
aloysius pieris was not a fan of ratzinger, no

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

nobody even reads benedict's encyclicals.

like I can't even remember the last time I heard anyone quote from them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Phlegmatist posted:

Deus Caritas Est was pretty popular at the time, and I still hear references to it pretty regularly. The other two are generally overlooked.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

i read his books

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

one pope looks like a cool uncle from Argentina and has a way with words, whereas the other didn’t age all that well, used to be head of the ~inquisition~ (so spooky!) and loves debating christological minutiae, so people adore the one and at best ignore/at worst openly despise the other even though outside of some externalities their theology and mission were super similar.
and those externalities are things like the old vestments and liturgy, which ill-informed people ALSO think is evidence of evil

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, given how much value you place on trappings and tradition, is it really a surprise that people respond to the trappings and external visuals of a religious figure?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Senju Kannon posted:

I mean, if one was a Buddhist, one could take this as a compliment, as an implicit/tacit admission that Buddhism as an intellectual force has a sufficient power to threaten Christianity.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

I mean, given how much value you place on trappings and tradition, is it really a surprise that people respond to the trappings and external visuals of a religious figure?
they are liking the bad ones though, instead of the good ones

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

mainly concerned with some westerners taking up Buddhism as a lifestyle of sorts.
this is exactly what you complain about senju, just from the opposite side of the fence. it's what i complain about with the icons: my religion is my way of life, not your tourist attraction

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I just read all 229 pages of part 2 of this megathread, plus all 122 pages of this iteration. (I haven't been on SA since early January 2017.) I did so in...4 days.

Pardon me while I say "hi I'm back", and fall over in exhaustion. (Is it a bad thing, etiquette-wise, if I just...read the last 3 pages of a megathread on A/T or D&D....?)

I missed you nerds.

Also, on topic: Benedict...I always wonder what he would have looked like if he hadn't been a smoker, as Hegel noted. I'm pretty sure, if he had not looked as he did, the popular impression of him would have at least given him a fighting chance. It's not his fault in that regard so much as it is the fact that the modern Papacy doesn't just have the historical requirements of the job, but almost requires a good headshot as well, like an actor or performer, and yet nobody outright admits that. It's a global role, and you really do seem to need to "look the part", for better or worse. If a Pope doesn't, they won't really have a chance to compete against the inevitable commentary against them, whereas if they do, they at least don't have more to fight against.

What this means is: Media coverage of religion is so terrible it defies description.

(Side point: docbeard, do you have any recommendations on books I could read (preferably on kindle) about the Amish/Old Order Mennonites as they are today? Donald Kraybill's stuff is all from decades ago, I thought...And I am fairly aware cellphones (at the least) have changed things dramatically.)

(Edited to fix grammar)

Spacewolf fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 17, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Spacewolf posted:

What this means is: Media coverage of religion is so terrible it defies description.

wanna hear a joke? a reporter goes into a church.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Obviously they were about to say

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spacewolf posted:

(Side point: docbeard, do you have any recommendations on books I could read (preferably on kindle) about the Amish/Old Order Mennonites as they are today? Donald Kraybill's stuff is all from decades ago, I thought...And I am fairly aware cellphones (at the least) have changed things dramatically.)

I'm a bit out of touch with Amish/Old Order Mennonite stuff, but I'll do a little digging and see what I can come up with. It does look like Kraybill co-wrote a book called The Amish (as a companion to a PBS series of the same name) that came out in 2013.

And yeah, my general understanding is that things have always been more complex than TECHNOLOGY BAD (and there's a lot of variation between individual communities as to what is and is not permitted).

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Spacewolf posted:

this is kind of darkly why I want to see cardinal sarah be the next pope

"The Roman Catholic Church elects its first black pope as Pope Pius XII. Is this a sign of the Catholic Church moving in a new inclusive, forward-thinking direction?"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

docbeard posted:

I'm a bit out of touch with Amish/Old Order Mennonite stuff, but I'll do a little digging and see what I can come up with. It does look like Kraybill co-wrote a book called The Amish (as a companion to a PBS series of the same name) that came out in 2013.

And yeah, my general understanding is that things have always been more complex than TECHNOLOGY BAD (and there's a lot of variation between individual communities as to what is and is not permitted).

isn't their schtick basically less 'tech is bad' and more 'not being in a pre-industrial farming village is bad' and thus any tech which doesn't further the latter is unnecessary?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I like Cardinal Robert Sarah. Don't @ me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

isn't their schtick basically less 'tech is bad' and more 'not being in a pre-industrial farming village is bad' and thus any tech which doesn't further the latter is unnecessary?

Yeah, it's not tech itself it's the modern lifestyle it brings. They do use propane and compressed air to run all sorts of appliances and machinery. Explanation I got was "well if you could make a TV run on gas, then we'd have to ban it just like electricity."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

docbeard posted:

This is entirely anecdotal, but there are a ton of Mennonite and Hutterite colonies in the Dakotas and it seems like their attitude toward technology is somewhere along the lines of "as long as it doesn't intrude into home/community life."

My uncle works as an electrician and a lot of his jobs the last few years have been wiring factories and processing plants at colonies. They're big on being self-sufficient and have no issue using modern farm and manufacturing equipment to support themselves economically.

Almost every time I end up at a Wal-Mart or Target, there's a family in traditional clothing speaking German and shopping there. They drive cars, shop at big box stores, and use technology where it's pragmatic for their (mostly agricultural) livelihoods. I would guess they have cellphones to communicate with workers in the field and for emergencies, but would not use them for socializing or in the home.

They're big on maintaining independent self-supporting colonies and a traditional family/community life and are happy to use modern technology where it doesn't interfere with the latter.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

It's more generally about "having ties to the modern world is bad", but yeah.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

This is entirely anecdotal, but there are a ton of Mennonite and Hutterite colonies in the Dakotas and it seems like their attitude toward technology is somewhere along the lines of "as long as it doesn't intrude into home/community life."

My uncle works as an electrician and a lot of his jobs the last few years have been wiring factories and processing plants at colonies. They're big on being self-sufficient and have no issue using modern farm and manufacturing equipment to support themselves economically.

Almost every time I end up at a Wal-Mart or Target, there's a family in traditional clothing speaking German and shopping there. They drive cars, shop at big box stores, and use technology where it's pragmatic for their (mostly agricultural) livelihoods. I would guess they have cellphones to communicate with workers in the field and for emergencies, but would not use them for socializing or in the home.

They're big on maintaining independent self-supporting colonies and a traditional family/community life and are happy to use modern technology where it doesn't interfere with the latter.

Yeah, this absolutely matches with my experience growing up in northeastern Ohio. The Amish there didn't have cars, but often paid others to drive them places; my cousin made a decent amount of pocket money in high school driving Amish folks around in a van he nicked the Yoder Toter.

The phone situation I was most familiar with was one where they could have a telephone (mobile or otherwise) in an outbuilding or a barn or something, but not in the house.

It's very much about independence from the world.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GUNS posted:

they are liking the bad ones though, instead of the good ones

I think you are confusing "things I like" with "objective moral good" though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

orthodoxy is an aesthetic movement that also worships god

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

I'm pretty sure she's not serious about that statement.

HEY GUNS posted:

orthodoxy is an aesthetic movement that also worships god

Or that one..... I'm preeeeeeeety sure.....

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Spacewolf posted:

I just read all 229 pages of part 2 of this megathread, plus all 122 pages of this iteration. (I haven't been on SA since early January 2017.) I did so in...4 days.

Pardon me while I say "hi I'm back", and fall over in exhaustion. (Is it a bad thing, etiquette-wise, if I just...read the last 3 pages of a megathread on A/T or D&D....?)

I missed you nerds.

Also, on topic: Benedict...I always wonder what he would have looked like if he hadn't been a smoker, as Hegel noted. I'm pretty sure, if he had not looked as he did, the popular impression of him would have at least given him a fighting chance. It's not his fault in that regard so much as it is the fact that the modern Papacy doesn't just have the historical requirements of the job, but almost requires a good headshot as well, like an actor or performer, and yet nobody outright admits that. It's a global role, and you really do seem to need to "look the part", for better or worse. If a Pope doesn't, they won't really have a chance to compete against the inevitable commentary against them, whereas if they do, they at least don't have more to fight against.

(Edited to fix grammar)

Welcome back! :)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I got to participate in a smaller-scale heathen ritual this sunday, which may interest some of you: a member of my blót guild had moved into a new apartment, and held a housewarming - she charged me to bind a big stick of cleansing incense because of my vølvic experience, and so I did, interested to see what was going to happen with it. She said it was to clean and guard the apartment, and so it was.

She lit it up (I made one from garden wormwood, white sage and red pine), then took it to each window and doorsill in the apartment, waving it in a circle and making a cross in the circle (this is essentially the sun/season wheel which is our primary religious symbol, and is always done clockwise in accordance with tradition), saying "Sun and Sun's Son, Moon and Moon's Daughter, I draw you down and ask you to protect this home".

After that we held a traditional blot as I have described them before, only inside around a table, calling on Brage (she and her husband are mandolinists), Sun, Moon and Frigg (Odin's wife, aesir, protector of the home), where we had four rounds of beseechment and sacrifice, and the traditional blessing of items below the guild ring. I was channeling Moon, and so stood in the west, holding the guild ring along with the other corners as the runic prayer - involving such boss elements as naming the lords of the dwarves and dark elves in order to gain their magic - was said.

Then we ate lots of cake and I played with some fat chilluns who threw licorice into my mouth. 10/10 would heathen housewarm again!

Tias fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 17, 2018

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

this is kind of darkly why I want to see cardinal sarah be the next pope

"The Roman Catholic Church elects its first black pope as Pope Pius XII. Is this a sign of the Catholic Church moving in a new inclusive, forward-thinking direction?"

Oh good god, I was looking at this guys wiki page and one of the photos he's in, there's a guy that looks like Mike Stoksla from redlettermedia if he had become a priest instead of a youtube personality (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rober...F1an_Palace.jpg)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

docbeard posted:

It's more generally about "having ties to the modern world is bad", but yeah.

Since we're on this topic do the non-plain Anabaptist (I don't know what the right term is) have any low-key restrictions on or resistance to technology? Are there any churches which wear modern dress and use laptops and everything, but have a cultural aversion to overuse of iphones?

• Locked thread