Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are private feudal wars permitted in Succesor states (other than Free Worlds where its apparently the national pasttime)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Are private feudal wars permitted in Succesor states (other than Free Worlds where its apparently the national pasttime)?

No but they happen anyway and constantly.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Aleksander Kerensky looks almost uncannily like my old landlord and it makes me laugh every time because that man didn't have a mean bone in his body.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought 3015 was Mechwarrior 5 and HBS Btech is ~3025ish? skirting around the issue of the timeline advancing by never directly mentioning the year and only showing time passing in number of weeks since the start.

Yeah, HBS:BT is set in 3025. Mechwarrior 5 is in the nebulous 3015-3049 window.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I clicked on an icon I shouldn't have and this happened.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Sir, this is a thread about a robot punching game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

can you play as a bird person in this game? i am going to be upset if the game deviates from the canonical battletech lore and doesn't have any bird people

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't know a lot about real BattleTech, basically everything I know nowadays is from MWO. How much customization will we be able to do to mechs in this game, and how much of that is poo poo what isn't really canon or whatever?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm guessing isildur will have snuck an Easter egg in there, otherwise I'm revoking the gently caress out of her goon card fyi

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

I don't know a lot about real BattleTech, basically everything I know nowadays is from MWO. How much customization will we be able to do to mechs in this game, and how much of that is poo poo what isn't really canon or whatever?

Can't change engines, otherwise its fairly close to mwo, and also to table top. They've also changed machine guns and flamers to a separate melee class which is different from either.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sebmojo posted:

Can't change engines

rip urbanmech k-9, you will always be cool in my heart :unsmith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

sebmojo posted:

They've also changed machine guns and flamers to a separate melee class which is different from either.

Small Lasers are also in this class.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I think they did some normalizing, though, so even stuff like the Urbie can move decently.

But a follow-up question, since the engines are fixed, did they normalize engine tonnage as well? Or will stuff like the Banshee have zero space to work with thanks to its comically oversized engine?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Don't think they can change tonnages without completely breaking canonical designs and it's probably not desirable for a mech as large and fast as the Charger to also carry a reasonable payload. It's an in-universe boondoggle and its poor performance is a reflection of actual bad design choices rather than flawed construction rules.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure, sure, I just figured that if they were going to normalize movement distances so that slower engines weren't such a huge mobility handicap, then they might also reduce the tonnage footprint of big engines.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The destruction physics of that building in the bottom left being in a sizzle reel for destruction physics is :pgi:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Don't think they can change tonnages without completely breaking canonical designs and it's probably not desirable for a mech as large and fast as the Charger to also carry a reasonable payload. It's an in-universe boondoggle and its poor performance is a reflection of actual bad design choices rather than flawed construction rules.

Can you fire any small weapons while meleeing in tabletop? Because the Charger carries five small lasers, and in this game, that's classed as a "support weapon" along with machine guns and flamers. And you can fire those after punching someone. I'd imagine that an 80 tonner punching someone and then unloading a five small lasers in their face, or using five machine guns with their enhanced crittiness, might be worth trying. Basically a Firestarter, except the punch itself also hurts.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MechaCrash posted:

Can you fire any small weapons while meleeing in tabletop? Because the Charger carries five small lasers, and in this game, that's classed as a "support weapon" along with machine guns and flamers. And you can fire those after punching someone. I'd imagine that an 80 tonner punching someone and then unloading a five small lasers in their face, or using five machine guns with their enhanced crittiness, might be worth trying. Basically a Firestarter, except the punch itself also hurts.

You can fire any weapons you want and also melee in the same turn; the restriction is that you can't fire weapons from a body part you're meleeing with. So you could fire all your arm mounted weapons and then kick, for example.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

MechaCrash posted:

It looks like there's at least one 'mech in every weight class that's got a significant number of support hardpoints, so melee mechs ought to work at any tier. And yes, they are dead fuckin killy :black101:

Here we go, from the discord.

So for punchy fightbots we're looking at Banshee, Dragon, Grasshopper, Shadowhawk, and Firestarter. The kicker is going to be balancing speed & initiative against armour & weapons, such that you can both close to melee range and survive closing to melee range. If I had to guess, I'd say either a fast Heavy (ie Dragon) or maybe just the Shadowhawk. The Banshee has plenty of killy bits, but it's not going to catch anything other than another Assault mech.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 17, 2018

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

sebmojo posted:

I'm guessing isildur will have snuck an Easter egg in there, otherwise I'm revoking the gently caress out of her goon card fyi

Refunding if there's no squawking shithawk contract. :colbert:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

hooman posted:

The destruction physics of that building in the bottom left being in a sizzle reel for destruction physics is :pgi:

This looks like an Xbox 360 game. It's tragic.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drone posted:

This looks like an Xbox 360 game. It's tragic.

Hell, taken by itself, the destruction is... not great, but also not offensively terrible. But it's really not the kind of thing you'd want to focus an entire trailer that's supposed to wow your audiences with its graphical fidelity on.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Skippy McPants posted:

I think they did some normalizing, though, so even stuff like the Urbie can move decently.

But a follow-up question, since the engines are fixed, did they normalize engine tonnage as well? Or will stuff like the Banshee have zero space to work with thanks to its comically oversized engine?

The Banshee is a punchmech in HBS Battletech - a good way to make mechs that can't spare lots of weight because of an oversized engine still good, because support weapons are all incredibly light.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Voyager I posted:

This really needs to be emphasized. The charger is a garbage mech in-universe and is universally derided as such in all the various lore. As the name implies it is more or less built to be a gimmick mech for using the charge damage rules (which CAN be devastating on a fast assault) but so much room is taken up by engine that it has poo poo all for weapons.

Hypothetically according to the lore it was designed to be a super heavy scout that could do its job while more or less ignoring the lights that frequently make up counter-scouting forces. Problem: it's terrible at that because even a loving locust out-ranges it AND is faster than it, so it can theoretically get plinked to death with a single medium laser. The short-medium-long range on a SL is 1-2-3 while on a ML it's 1-3-5 which means something with a ML that can out-speed it can fire on it forever without ever needing to get in the Charger's engagement envelope. This, again, is something commented on in-universe. Successfully getting a charge off is also kind of difficult and requires winning the initiative and being close enough to connect.

The only reason it stays in production is that ca 3025 the automated manufacturing processes used in a lot of mech factories are not something you can easily gently caress with and a few factories in Kurita space are basically stuck making the dumb things. There are tons of attempts to re-jigger it to not suck, but since it's stuck with that ginormous engine there isn't too much you can do. IIRC the most popular was ditching all the SLs for a handful of MLs which at least gave it enough reach to not get sniped to death by a goddamned wasp. It says a loving LOT that the very first thing Kurita did when they started recovering tech in the 3040s was retool the charger line to make a new mech on the same chassis that wasn't criminally useless.

Back when I played TT chargers were the kind of thing you threw out either for humor, as an albatross, or both. I remember one campaign I GM'd where the players were mercs signed on with some nowhere periphery backwater where the local garrison was 2 urbanmechs and a charger, all of which the locals wanted protected. I also ran a game where the PCs were pirates in beat to poo poo light mechs and the big boss fight at the end of the first session was a show down with a local pirate lord who drove a similarly trashy charger.

Watching a stinger and a wasp just loving DISMANTLE a charger was a good illustration of just how much of a garbage mech it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One week everybody, one week!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

One week everybody, one week!

I am in meetings all day next week but my mind will be robo-stomping over other robots.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aramoro posted:

I am in meetings all day next week but my mind will be robo-stomping over other robots.

Just excuse yourself because you have "important contract negotiations" to handle.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

More like two and a half weeks for me, alas.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zaodai posted:

Just excuse yourself because you have "important contract negotiations" to handle.

Salvage rights ain't a joke.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Cyrano4747 posted:

This really needs to be emphasized. The charger is a garbage mech in-universe and is universally derided as such in all the various lore. As the name implies it is more or less built to be a gimmick mech for using the charge damage rules (which CAN be devastating on a fast assault) but so much room is taken up by engine that it has poo poo all for weapons.

Hypothetically according to the lore it was designed to be a super heavy scout that could do its job while more or less ignoring the lights that frequently make up counter-scouting forces. Problem: it's terrible at that because even a loving locust out-ranges it AND is faster than it, so it can theoretically get plinked to death with a single medium laser. The short-medium-long range on a SL is 1-2-3 while on a ML it's 1-3-5 which means something with a ML that can out-speed it can fire on it forever without ever needing to get in the Charger's engagement envelope. This, again, is something commented on in-universe. Successfully getting a charge off is also kind of difficult and requires winning the initiative and being close enough to connect.

The only reason it stays in production is that ca 3025 the automated manufacturing processes used in a lot of mech factories are not something you can easily gently caress with and a few factories in Kurita space are basically stuck making the dumb things. There are tons of attempts to re-jigger it to not suck, but since it's stuck with that ginormous engine there isn't too much you can do. IIRC the most popular was ditching all the SLs for a handful of MLs which at least gave it enough reach to not get sniped to death by a goddamned wasp. It says a loving LOT that the very first thing Kurita did when they started recovering tech in the 3040s was retool the charger line to make a new mech on the same chassis that wasn't criminally useless.

Back when I played TT chargers were the kind of thing you threw out either for humor, as an albatross, or both. I remember one campaign I GM'd where the players were mercs signed on with some nowhere periphery backwater where the local garrison was 2 urbanmechs and a charger, all of which the locals wanted protected. I also ran a game where the PCs were pirates in beat to poo poo light mechs and the big boss fight at the end of the first session was a show down with a local pirate lord who drove a similarly trashy charger.

Watching a stinger and a wasp just loving DISMANTLE a charger was a good illustration of just how much of a garbage mech it is.

If you play by BV rules in 3025 TT, Chargers are actually horribly devastating units. You can field a basic garbage Charger for less BV than a goddamn Shadow Hawk and the Charger's fists and legs are effectively AC/20s for the purposes of melee, and it's fast enough that the lack of XL engines in 3025 means it can catch a surprising amount of much lighter victims and pretty much rip and tear them like the god damned Doom Guy with a berserk pack. A Charger costs less BV to put on the field than a Vindicator and there's literally nothing the Vindicator can do to stop the Charger from kicking its legs off and punching its head off because the Charger has a respectable amount of armor and literally no ammo bins to crit.

It's a garbage mech when fielded alone but when fielded as a forward striker with other mechs that can stop enemies from kiting it too hard it's monstrously devastating for its BV value. It's actually funny because it's an intentionally badly designed mech in fluff but it actually plays out quite effectively on TT.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
https://youtu.be/PAGY4UMScyU

The intro cutscene.

No spoilers, just a wordless history of the setting.

Project Deimos.
The spread of yoomanity
The founding of the Star League.
The Periphery rebellions during Richard Cameron's reign.
Richard Cameron getting :commissar: by Stefan Amaris.
Probably the Liberation of Terra.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The base charger is something around 800 bv which makes it the best bv/armor ratio available, I believe

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

https://youtu.be/PAGY4UMScyU

The intro cutscene.

No spoilers, just a wordless history of the setting.

Project Deimos.
The spread of yoomanity
The founding of the Star League.
The Periphery rebellions during Richard Cameron's reign.
Richard Cameron getting :commissar: by Stefan Amaris.
Probably the Liberation of Terra.

Battletech: things were going super, then Rich Cameron was put in charge.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Visiting my doctor today to inquire about a week-long medically induced coma. Will let you know how it went next week, unless I'm too busy playing HBS Battletech or unable to be woken.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

FunkMonkey posted:

I love how much of a punchable douchbag baby face they made Richard look, too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
He looks like a goddamn goon and its glorious.

FunkMonkey posted:

Things weren't going that great. The FedSuns and Combine were both equally furious with the League because of the War of the Davion Succession (Kuritans pressed a claim on the Davion throne CK2 style), the Kuritans because the Star League sided with the Davions when they sent in the SLDF to say "knock it the gently caress off", the FedSuns because it took 4 years for that to happen.

Richard's dad was the last real hope to save the League but someone (probably Amaris) had him assassinated and then Amaris manipulated Richard and then shot him.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 17, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Sky Shadowing posted:

He looks like a goddamn goon and its glorious.

Things weren't going that great. The FedSuns and Combine were both equally furious with the League because of the War of the Davion Succession (Kuritans pressed a claim on the Davion throne CK2 style), the Kuritans because the Star League sided with the Davions when they sent in the SLDF to say "knock it the gently caress off", the FedSuns because it took 4 years for that to happen.

Richard's dad was the last real hope to save the League but someone (probably Amaris) had him assassinated and then Amaris manipulated Richard and then shot him.

Yeah, I know there was more to it and Amaris was the main problem by the end, I was more joking at how the really abridged history in the intro made it look. Basically it was humanity thriving in the stars and then they had his :haw: face at 1:24 and everything started going to poo poo.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FunkMonkey posted:

Yeah, I know there was more to it and Amaris was the main problem by the end, I was more joking at how the really abridged history in the intro made it look. Basically it was humanity thriving in the stars and then they had his :haw: face at 1:24 and everything started going to poo poo.

It's common knowledge that Goons ruin everything.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

The short-medium-long range on a SL is 1-2-3 while on a ML it's 1-3-5 which means something with a ML that can out-speed it can fire on it forever without ever needing to get in the Charger's engagement envelope.

ML is actually 3/6/9, which is even worse for the charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My 14 year old self would be ashamed that i forgot the range brackets of the ML.