Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm looking for a specific kind of RPG. It needs to be party-based, with the player creating the entire party (the more options, the better, within reason), and a focus on dungeon crawling (either first-person or isometric will work). However, it also needs some sort of overworld, it can't be one of those dungeon crawlers where you just trudge through one long dungeon (like Etrian Odyssey). Bonus points if it has variable dialog based on choices made during character creation. Basically, I want a game where I can create the party, and then sort of invent personalities for them and imagine the party chatter as I go through the game. Here are some examples of games that fit the bill that I've already played:

-Wizardry 6-8 (especially the dialog in 8, every possible PC voice has a ton of fully-voiced lines that really flesh them out)
-Icewind Dale 1+2 (these also had a lot of attention to detail with class/race-specific dialog options)
-Temple of Elemental Evil (granted, most of the dungeon crawling is in the eponymous temple, but you spend enough time outside of it that it doesn't get stale)
-Might & Magic
-Darklands

Oh, and it shouldn't be too old, games old enough to require keyboard input where a mouse would be more efficient tend to annoy more than entertain me (there's a dozen classics from the eighties I could be playing were it not for that wrinkle). Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide for my overly-specific request.

If gamepad controls are alright then get a Genesis emulator and load up Warriors of the Eternal Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Stanfield posted:

I used to love playing the Knytt games years ago and was wondering if there's any similar chill platformers that are mainly focused on exploring Like a Metroidvania without the combat I guess? I loved Celeste and it's kinda what i'm looking for aesthetically, and I enjoyed looking for the collectables, but the platforming itself was too hard to be relaxing.

If you haven't played Knytt Underground, that'd be the first thing to check out of course. And there's a bunch of fanmade content for Knytt Stories.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Stanfield posted:

I used to love playing the Knytt games years ago and was wondering if there's any similar chill platformers that are mainly focused on exploring Like a Metroidvania without the combat I guess? I loved Celeste and it's kinda what i'm looking for aesthetically, and I enjoyed looking for the collectables, but the platforming itself was too hard to be relaxing.

Hiiro? Lunnye Devitsy is essentially a Knytt Stories map. Saira is another similar game. I feel like you're going to have a hard time finding exploration-platformer games that have a similar aesthetic to Celeste.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
While we're on the subject of RPGs, any suggestions for ones with useful/interesting non-combat skills or abilities? Like most RPGs tend to have some kind of "persuasion" skill or something that gets used in dialogue but I'm thinking beyond that. Age and platform doesn't really matter, I'm looking more for interesting examples rather than necessarily something I need to be able to play (although if it is something I can run on a modern PC that is a bonus).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Divinity Original Sin 2 has an insane amount of variables to resolve any encounter that could possibly include your character's background, class, race, gender, skills, stats, perks, stuff you have lying around in your inventory, or any of the other characters in your party. You can take the Pet Pal perk and speak to animals, roll an Undead character and walk around in a human face, be an Elf and learn about your enemies through eating their remains, etc. It has a the most robust system of character expression in any game I've seen.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Pillars of Eternity had a cool reputation system where how you roleplayed your character in dialogue gave you options pertaining to how you interacted with people down the line, i.e. my paladin MC was diplomatic but didn't take poo poo from anybody and was willing to ice some assholes when need be so he gained enough of an aggressive reputation that I could just scare certain enemy encounters away because they knew who my MC was and didn't want to end up dead.

Torment 2 was also really good at allowing you to solve missions without combat and if you take the mind read skill it gives you a ton of flavor text as well as major sidequest for one of your party members.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Cheshire Cat posted:

While we're on the subject of RPGs, any suggestions for ones with useful/interesting non-combat skills or abilities? Like most RPGs tend to have some kind of "persuasion" skill or something that gets used in dialogue but I'm thinking beyond that. Age and platform doesn't really matter, I'm looking more for interesting examples rather than necessarily something I need to be able to play (although if it is something I can run on a modern PC that is a bonus).

Voidspire Tactics is 100% about using abilities to interact with the environment outside of combat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I often find myself thinking about this, but most of the time, the best you get for non-combat skills (aside from poo poo that just affects dialog trees, which you mentioned) is some sort of crafting (most 3e-based D&D games include the various crafting feats, Wizardry 8 has some pretty neat alchemy/tinkering options, etc.), mostly secondary to using your crafted stuff to murder more dudes. Better-informed men than I might know of something in the realm of a CRPG that does what you want, but I at least have one recommendation that might be what you're looking for.

One game is an MMO called Mabinogi, and it has a real embarrassment of riches in terms of non-combat skills you can work on. Not only is there crafting (tailoring, blacksmithing, cooking, etc., plus gathering materials), but you can transport goods for profit, dowse for ancient artifacts, play and compose music, make wine, and fish, among other stuff. Also, enemies are very sparse and weak in high-traffic areas, and can usually be run from, so you're not really forced to get more than passingly familiar with combat. It's really not great, overall, and I can't stress enough how offensively anime it is, but if you just want to indulge in some non-combat RPG-type stuff, it's pretty satisfying in that regard.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Voidspire Tactics is 100% about using abilities to interact with the environment outside of combat.

Along those lines are Lufia 2 and Alundra. Alundra's a pretty straight Zelda clone, while Lufia 2 is like using Zelda items but having JRPG battles.

But I'm guessing that's probably not what Cheshire meant by non-combat skills and abilities.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

McFrugal posted:

I loving love puzzle games. Maybe I'm being picky but what I was really looking for is some possibly-meta puzzle poo poo in a game that wasn't designed around puzzles. I loved the sense of mystery, of uncovering something like a back door into part of the game fundamentally different from the rest of it.

Also I thought The Witness didn't have anything you needed to take notes for? Also isn't it a bit insufferable?

Given what you've said here I think you'd enjoy The Witness, but I don't want to say anything more specific than that. I'd strongly encourage you to play spoiler free since you only get one chance to do it.

You should also give Antichamber a look.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Ultima I think around...5 or 6 on started having a more interactive world, allowing you to do stuff like infamously baking bread. In both parts of Ultima 7 in particular combat is largely an automatic affair where you rub swords together and all the most memorable experiences involve interacting with the world or its inhabitants in some way.

This interactivity wasn't really codified into a skill system with increasing values until Ultima Online, though. You could do some pretty neat stuff in UO like setting traps on your chests with Tinkering that lazy or inexperienced thieving players would blow themselves up on.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Stanfield posted:

You're probably already familiar with it, but just in case, Within a Deep Forest was one Nifflas' earlier games before Knytt, and is similar in tone and scope while having plenty of gameplay differences. It's got ability upgrades to find, so it's even more Metroidy than Knytt was, but like Kyntt has no combat, has a great soundtrack, and is bursting with neat little incidental creatures and scenery. It's still free on Nifflas' very old skeletal website.

And if we go forwards in time, Nifflas' most recent game, Uurnog Uurnlimited is cool and pretty weird.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devonaut posted:

Given what you've said here I think you'd enjoy The Witness, but I don't want to say anything more specific than that. I'd strongly encourage you to play spoiler free since you only get one chance to do it.

You should also give Antichamber a look.

I enjoyed Antichamber and was disappointed that the pink cubes didn't lead to anything and there was that one area past Falling Forward that was obviously unfinished.

Looks like I'll wind up playing The Witness after all.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Wasteland 1, Realms of Arkania and the original Fallouts

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

McFrugal posted:

Is there any other game like Environmental Station Alpha where after you complete the main storyline there's a bunch of extra, hidden content you have to access via solving riddles and finding secret rooms?

Another puzzle game, but Talos Principle

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Brainamp posted:

Another puzzle game, but Talos Principle

Oh yep! Beat that one too.

I will take any high quality puzzle game recommendations as well. I think I've played most if not all of the big names like Snakebird, Steve's Sausage Roll, Good Snowman, both Talos Principle games, all the Zachtronics games, Recursed...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

McFrugal posted:

Oh yep! Beat that one too.

I will take any high quality puzzle game recommendations as well. I think I've played most if not all of the big names like Snakebird, Steve's Sausage Roll, Good Snowman, both Talos Principle games, all the Zachtronics games, Recursed...

Factorio?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I'm looking for games that my girlfriend and I can play together - I hold the controller and she makes all the decisions. We are currently playing Horizon: Zero Dawn and loving it. We've also played Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick together.

Basically, the requirements are:

Games that can be engaging if your not actually the one holding the controller. Either a good plot, or great things to look at, but something entirely mechanics focused won't fly.
Games with a minimum of shouty white dudes killing each other. Preferences for female protagonists, but pretty much anything that doesn't fit the Gears of War/Nathan Drake mold.
The main mechanic has to be something other than combat. In HZD i feel that the main mechanic is exploration, with some combat interspersed. She doesn't like violent movies in general, so something where violence is used for dramatic effect rather than a game where violence is the main thing.

I'm thinking something like Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice is going to fit the mold really well, but I'm interested in what else the goon hivemind could come up with. Ori and the Blind Forest is almost what we are looking for, except that the plot is super thin and the visuals might not be enough to keep her interested. Rise of the Tomb Raider might be good too, but i just replayed it recently and i'm not exactly up for another open world game right after HZD.

Thanks a lot!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
How about the Layton games? You can solve the puzzles together (both the mechanical ones and the general mysteries of each case).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FNV. Open world, but lots of poo poo to do.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Try Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, if you have a Gamecube. It's very visually dynamic (especially the sanity effects), focuses more on puzzle solving than fighting, and features a woman as the main character. While I'm talking Gamecube, Metroid Prime may have a good deal of combat, but I'd say the first game, at least, puts more emphasis on exploring, and I loved the environments. There's also the Tomb Raider reboot, of course.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lechtansi posted:

I'm looking for games that my girlfriend and I can play together - I hold the controller and she makes all the decisions. We are currently playing Horizon: Zero Dawn and loving it. We've also played Phoenix Wright and Ghost Trick together.

Games that can be engaging if your not actually the one holding the controller. Either a good plot, or great things to look at, but something entirely mechanics focused won't fly.
Games with a minimum of shouty white dudes killing each other. Preferences for female protagonists, but pretty much anything that doesn't fit the Gears of War/Nathan Drake mold.
The main mechanic has to be something other than combat. In HZD i feel that the main mechanic is exploration, with some combat interspersed. She doesn't like violent movies in general, so something where violence is used for dramatic effect rather than a game where violence is the main thing.

I'm thinking something like Hellblade: Senuas Sacrifice is going to fit the mold really well, but I'm interested in what else the goon hivemind could come up with. Ori and the Blind Forest is almost what we are looking for, except that the plot is super thin and the visuals might not be enough to keep her interested. Rise of the Tomb Raider might be good too, but i just replayed it recently and i'm not exactly up for another open world game right after HZD.

Thanks a lot!

Until Dawn is exactly what you need to play.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

exquisite tea posted:

Until Dawn is exactly what you need to play.

Agreed, if you both can stomach horror games, this will delight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

Thanks a lot!

Life is Strange, maybe?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

Thanks a lot!

All of the Telltale series games are like interactive movies with some scripted actions scenes, and excellent girlfriend games. My favorites are The Wolf Among Us (modern day fairy tales in New York City, you play the sheriff, Bigby Wolf) and Tales from the Borderlands, which has both a male and female protagonist. There is also a Game of Thrones one, two Walking Dead ones, one of which has a female protagonist, a Batman one (with Mark Hammill as the Joker!) and Minecraft one. They all have a very comic book style aesthetic, and are beautiful to look at:

These are exactly what you are looking for.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 17, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tales From the Borderlands

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I actually already own Life is Strange but never got past the first episode. This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks goons!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't play Game of Thrones, it's awful.

But I do echo Walking Dead Season 1, Borderlands, and Wolf.

You really should check out more adventure games in general because they're exactly want you want, i.e. Gone Home, What Remains of Edith Finch, the Lucas Arts catalog, Firewatch, Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, Contradiction, Her Story, pretty much everything made and published by Wadjet Eye games, etc.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
May want to check out Penumbra and Amnesia, if you're into horror.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

All of the Telltale series games are like interactive movies with some scripted actions scenes, and excellent girlfriend games. My favorites are The Wolf Among Us (modern day fairy tales in New York City, you play the sheriff, Bigby Wolf) and Tales from the Borderlands, which has both a male and female protagonist. There is also a Game of Thrones one, two Walking Dead ones, one of which has a female protagonist, a Batman one (with Mark Hammill as the Joker!) and Minecraft one. They all have a very comic book style aesthetic, and are beautiful to look at:

Telltale's Batman series are both very good, I'd say some of their best, but their Joker is Anthony Ingruber, not Mark Hamill. His impression is definitely uncanny. I named Life is Strange, though, because it's got female protagonists and less shouty white man violence.

Don't play Game of Thrones or Minecraft Story Mode. Just don't.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 18, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Game of Thrones isn't as bad as people say. It's decent. It's not great, and you'll know immediately if you're not into it, but it hits the right notes.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Recently played Surviving Mars and loved it but I burnt out on it until they update with some more content. I've been looking for something to scratch the survival/city builder itch and I've tried a couple that I'll list here that either didnt really fit the bill or I've already played to death. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful.

Banished
Tropico 5
Kingdoms & Castles
Stonehearth
Northgard

Banished and Tropico 5 seem like something I would love but for some reason I just can't glean enough info from the ui for my liking, like how much food I can expect from a gatherer's hut before I put it down or an updated down to the minute current income of resources. Tropico 5 seems to have some sort of lag on showing proper income numbers. Kingdoms & Castles and Stonehearth are a little too simplistic, but I like the big crafting tree in Stonehearth. And Northgard is fine but I don't like that the game has a definite end, I want to just build and build until I fill up the map and then start over.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Namaer posted:

Recently played Surviving Mars and loved it but I burnt out on it until they update with some more content. I've been looking for something to scratch the survival/city builder itch and I've tried a couple that I'll list here that either didnt really fit the bill or I've already played to death. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful.

Banished
Tropico 5
Kingdoms & Castles
Stonehearth
Northgard

Banished and Tropico 5 seem like something I would love but for some reason I just can't glean enough info from the ui for my liking, like how much food I can expect from a gatherer's hut before I put it down or an updated down to the minute current income of resources. Tropico 5 seems to have some sort of lag on showing proper income numbers. Kingdoms & Castles and Stonehearth are a little too simplistic, but I like the big crafting tree in Stonehearth. And Northgard is fine but I don't like that the game has a definite end, I want to just build and build until I fill up the map and then start over.

Look at Rimworld. Its smaller in scale, just a single colony of 3-20 or so people, but with the smaller scale comes greater detail. You build the colony down to the individual door and chair, manage each colonist's individual needs for food, rest, entertainment and medical care, craft and use clothing and equipment. Farming and hunting are both major elements of play, and there are periodic raider or wild animal attacks that you need to plan for (these can be turned off).

It might scratch an itch you didn't know you had. There is also Prison Architect by the same dev, which is a larger scale efficiency bases game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also Oxygen Not Included.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Namaer posted:

Frostpunk is out in a few days (the same day as Battletech :woop:). Name aside, it looked interesting from the preview release they had a while back. Brutal and very bleak if that's you're thing, from the same devs as the laugh-a-minute This War of Mine. Not sure how much depth it has, as the preview was very limited.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 18, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Namaer posted:

Banished
Tropico 5
Kingdoms & Castles
Stonehearth
Northgard

Dwarf Fortress would be perfect if you can get through the brutal learning curve.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
General Recommendation:

Deceit is basically the forum/party game of Mafia (sometimes called Werewolf) where there are six players and two "infected". During the 'day' cycle, you try to complete challenges for tools (flashlights, traps, infected-antidotes, shotguns) and weed out who might be infected (watching to see who goes for bloodbags). During the 'night' cycle, the infected eat the humans, generally one each unless the humans are doing poorly.

It's Mafia because of the kinda-goofy "vote people out by shooting them", you can't actually kill anyone with your gun/knife :rolleyes:

It's hugely great fun, :steam: free to play, pay to swag. Big recommendation.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 19, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Dwarf Fortress would be perfect if you can get through the brutal learning curve.

I love Dwarf Fortress and all but it has roughly zero focus on logistics chains. The numbers are such that scarcity and rate of production almost never matter and the game tells you nothing except your current stocks.

Factorio might work but it's all building and no management, and there's a considerable puzzle element unless you just copy someone else's designs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Puzzle element? It's logic? I don't understand what you mean by puzzle element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lorini posted:

Puzzle element? It's logic? I don't understand what you mean by puzzle element.

It's not like Anno or Pharoah or something where you plop down mines and markets and so on and the AI figures out how to get from A to B and mostly takes care of itself, you're placing every single conveyor belt and pipe yourself and have to figure out how to make it all work in terms of routing, bottlenecks, and so on.