Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, for all the automation apparent in Trek, the ship basically doesn't repel boarders at all. It could very easily trap invaders and use a suite of incapacitation techniques to end the threat within minutes.

Instead, they use armed but unarmoured foot patrols to sweep blindly, and the patrols have to call the CP to erect forcefields. It's dumb as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Actually all the centaur crew members then go on patrol with tridents and nets. Furthermore, [rustling paper sounds]

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
In a few years it'll be possible to just edit the Enterprise E out of First Contact entirely and replace it with the D and pretend like it never got destroyed

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

In a few years it'll be possible to just edit the Enterprise E out of First Contact entirely and replace it with the D and pretend like it never got destroyed

That...

what

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

They could be set on stun.

Yeah there's the off chance that the Grand Nagus might make an unexpected visit so the computer doesn't know Ferengi should be on board, in the middle of a red alert, while the ship is being attacked by hostile Ferengi, and then it ends up being kind of embarrassing that he hit his head. And you assume a similar mishap wouldn't have happened in the fog of war if a friendly Ferengi popped in while the crew was battling a Ferengi boarding party.

But idk probably better than the flagship being taken over by, like, six idiot Ferengi and Starfleet's most prized crew being sold as slaves. Or Voyager's crew slowly and painfully dying of metabolic failure because the Vidians were able to just pop in and start stealing organs.

feel like it's a good time to repost this:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Rascals has a really bizarre tonal dissonance where everything that happens on camera is super-placid, even the loving space combat is presented as "huh, we're having a less than awesome day aren't we? better route some more power to those deflector grids, i guess", but all the incidental dialogue has poo poo like massive casualties in the secondary hull (I'm envisioning corridors exploding into flames and people screaming as they're burning all Wrath of Khan style) and the crew being enslaved to work in some mining camp.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
In the future, mankind has evolved past being upset about giant incinerating fireballs and being enslaved in labor camps. They accept it as a natural part of the life cycle.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Epicurius posted:

In the future, mankind has evolved past being upset about giant incinerating fireballs and being enslaved in labor camps. They accept it as a natural part of the life cycle.

Correct, Im not mad about either the sun or capitalism

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nessus posted:

Jeb, watch TAS

Okay, what are the must-watch episodes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay, what are the must-watch episodes

The one with satan is legit good

The Magicks of Megas-Tu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJzdvuBjc4
hahaha Mark Dice is upset about this episode of TAS

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 16, 2018

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Must-watch TAS eps include:

Yesteryear
More Tribbles, More Troubles
The Magicks of Megas-Tu
The Infinite Vulcan
The Jihad
Bem
The Practical Joker
The Counter-Clock Incident

but the entire series is easily worth watching

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
We don't have to pay him, do we?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I'd buy that for a dollar (not really)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Must-watch TAS eps include:

Yesteryear
More Tribbles, More Troubles
The Magicks of Megas-Tu
The Infinite Vulcan
The Jihad
Bem
The Practical Joker
The Counter-Clock Incident

but the entire series is easily worth watching
This but also The Slaver Weapon so you get my av's joke. Or at least part of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I would watch all of DS9, live-post, give detailed analyses, and even try to make it somewhat funny for two loosies out of a sixer.

If anyone winds up inside me, that'll cost you a whole sixer.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Edited out a dumb joke that probably went too far. I'm in a weird mood today.

STAR TREK

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 17, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Although that said, I'm not a fan of the phaser bumps on the Venture's nacelle's.

Oh yeah those suck. They're leftovers from the All Good Things hacks.

Tighclops posted:

If not for the deflector battle...

Which incidentally I assume is the reason the E has that tiny inset deflector. The deflector battle on the D would've been... something.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 17, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Amber walls and blue LEDs as far as the eye can see

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah those suck. They're leftovers from the All Good Things hacks.

If not for the deflector battle...

Which incidentally I assume is the reason the E has that tiny inset deflector. The deflector battle on the D would've been... something.

Something akin to a football field.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It'd be standing on enormous plane of copper which is suspended over a sea of blue radiance that arcs up into curved walls around you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

It'd be standing on enormous plane of copper which is suspended over a sea of blue radiance that arcs up into curved walls around you.

That would be some TMP imagery.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I watched a bunch of DS9 over the weekend!

S01E08 Dax

Courtroom drama episode with out there personhood debates, classic. I think Odo's my favourite character at this point. It seems like they don't really know what to do with Jadzia herself though. All her plots kind of revolve around things related to her or use it to setup other characters rather than letting her participate.

S01E09 The Passenger

Probably my least favourite so far. The "twist" is obvious before the opening credits even happen. Too much technobabble to explain away a weak concept that didn't make a lot of sense. Also... possessed Siddig. Yikes.

S01E10 Move Along Home

I'm betting that this is not a popular episode but I absolutely loved it. Ridiculous TOS camp with mullets and super hammy Quark, gleefully shouting dumb sci-fi words about gambling. The cave scene went on way too long though, and I think the fakeouts on people dying in the game were never really believable. The hopscotch scene and everything that took place in Quark's was golden. I want the mullet aliens to come back but know in my heart that they were probably a one-off.

S01E11 The Nagus

Ferengi are fun. I'm impressed that the kids aren't getting annoying, it was actually a pretty cute subplot!

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm also not really sure what the point of Primmin is other than to give Odo someone to yell at. This is either going to pay off or turn out to be just a weird production thing where they were testing out a new character, I guess.

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 17, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Siddig's possessed lines were all ADR'd in because his first performance was even more mind bogglingly terrible.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Siddig's possessed lines were all ADR'd in because his first performance was even more mind bogglingly terrible.

what

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apparently he was doing a bizarre high pitched alien voice

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Seeing the Enterprise-D in the first contact shots made me realize is that the Enterprise D should of been in FC and been destroyed in that movie and not thrown away in Generations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

Seeing the Enterprise-D in the first contact shots made me realize is that the Enterprise D should of been in FC and been destroyed in that movie and not thrown away in Generations.

Yeah, in hindsight.

They wanted to do something big in what might have been their only movie.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

That's kinda amazing, because usually Siddig is pretty decent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In my remastered HD version of DS9 all of Siddig's first take audio will be used.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I watched TNG Season 3 episode 25: Transfigurations. They find an alien who crash landed his spaceship, and the guy is hosed up. I was surprised to see how gory his wounds were:

That might be the goriest thing I've ever seen in a star trek.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That might be the goriest thing I've ever seen in a star trek.

Are you sure about that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kibayasu posted:

Are you sure about that?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah off the top of my head. The head explosion is pretty gruesome too, but it's cartoony. The image I linked was treated as a grievous injury, I guess it hit home a lot harder for me.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The head explosion gets most of the GIF's but the torso after that is the money shot.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah off the top of my head. The head explosion is pretty gruesome too, but it's cartoony. The image I linked was treated as a grievous injury, I guess it hit home a lot harder for me.

That said, I get what you mean. Like the episode where Jake stumbles upon the dying guy in DS9. It's mostly just a slight application of blood and torn uniform followed by coughing blood but such a inglorious and painful death scene hits hard.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 17, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, the crew of the Glenn on Discovery basically took all the Trek gore records out the back and mutilated them into horrible lumps of torn flesh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Eh, the crew of the Glenn on Discovery basically took all the Trek gore records out the back and mutilated them into horrible lumps of torn flesh.
That and the device some Terran Empire soldier uses on a prisoner where they literally explode

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Where's that picture of the three telepaths who worked with the mute diplomat? The mid-disintegration picture was amazingly detailed and lovingly constructed.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

RAY-OH VAN
TI
KA

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lamonay S. Ibudan is the most annoying name to say out loud for some reason

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gorelab posted:

That's kinda amazing, because usually Siddig is pretty decent.

By his own admission, Siddig was incredibly nervous during that first season of DS9 and hadn't really found his character yet, since all they had given him is "cocky young frontier doctor who very desperately wants to nail Jadzia." That was also something like the third or fourth role in his career and he didn't quite know how to act for TV, because the bulk of his prior experience was on the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

By his own admission, Siddig was incredibly nervous during that first season of DS9 and hadn't really found his character yet, since all they had given him is "cocky young frontier doctor who very desperately wants to nail Jadzia." That was also something like the third or fourth role in his career and he didn't quite know how to act for TV, because the bulk of his prior experience was on the stage.

Honestly, I don't think DS9 ever did find Bashir's character. I'm the oddball who likes the augment stuff about him, but there's only two Bashir episodes that I think worked really well. The augment reveal episode, and The Quickening. The rest of the show, I think Bashir worked well as a complement to O'Brien and Garak but was never a good character in his own right.

Spoiling this since there's some new folks to DS9 going through: take the reveal that Bashir was briefly replaced by a changeling. I, for one, felt nothing about the reveal because Bashir's usually such a minor, ancillary character there was nothing to subtly hint that something was awry.