Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Shudder and Joe Bob Briggs are doing a 24 hour movie stream in June. He said they’ll have host segments and a mailbag and everything his old shows had. Not a bad idea if they want to do something like Monstervision. It worked for MST3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm friends with a friend of Joe Bob and now I'm just trying to think up an excuse to get in on those host segments

that sounds really great. sometimes I'll be watching MST3K and I'll think "i wish they would stop making jokes so i can follow this insane movie's plot" and nobody really just airs weird bad movies for the hell of it anymore

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Will they just run it over their apps and site?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

New season of Bosch went up the other day. It's a pretty good, if...workmanlike? police procedural if anyone is into that kind of thing. I don't watch any of those network TV cop shows or anything but I really like one. Really like Titus Welliver.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The thing I read said it will be on the free stream which you can access on their website or app.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Started watching fear the walking dead season 3 on Hulu and it's surprisingly way less horrid that the first two seasons. Probably better than TWD proper at this point from what I've watched. Still has bad acting and production values though.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
My wife randomly started playing Tale of Tales last night on Netflix, and, uh...it sure is a movie. I recommend it if you're looking for something that seems like a normal fantasy flick but is actually incredibly bizarre.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InterrupterJones posted:

My wife randomly started playing Tale of Tales last night on Netflix, and, uh...it sure is a movie. I recommend it if you're looking for something that seems like a normal fantasy flick but is actually incredibly bizarre.

It fuckin rules, one of my faves of 2016.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It fuckin rules, one of my faves of 2016.

Same here. Wow.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sarchasm posted:

The Great Happiness Space is one of the few documentaries to ever cause my jaw to actually drop due to a mid-movie revelation. It's about host clubs in Japan where women pay exorbitant fees to be seated at a table with attractive men and have a conversation with them while drinking overpriced champagne.

It will blow your mind and demolish you emotionally. Very highly recommended.

I was mostly unfazed until the "I drink 10 bottles of champagne a day, my liver is hosed, I see guys puking up blood."

Like, yeah $10,000 a month is good money but not if you're gonna be dead in a few years.

Edit: Okay 35 minutes in and I got to the part people must be talking about. Geezus. What a depressing cycle. It makes sense in retrospect though, and from a psychological perspective.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 17, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

where is that streaming?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

magnificent7 posted:

Same here. Wow.

I think I even caught it randomly, too, which is like the best way to experience any movie the first time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't watched it yet but I saw a preview when it first came out and was waiting for the big reveal that it was a comedy the whole time because of John C Riley, and it was super confusing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Seems like a ridiculous criteria if you've seen more than one John C. Reilly movie, much less a movie he doesn't star in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tale of Tales is so good I'm frankly amazed it hasn't been coming up in chat constantly for the past 2 years

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Seems like a ridiculous criteria if you've seen more than one John C. Reilly movie, much less a movie he doesn't star in.

it was just such an odd looking movie I thought that it was the direction they were going with the trailer for a minute.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I've started in on Zumbo's Just Desserts hoping it would capture some of the spirit of the Great British Baking Show. It's OK, but it really falls short of the charm of GBBS and I'm not sure if I'll keep watching.

The lack of interaction between Zumbo/Rachel Khoo and the contestants is one issue. Are they really just standing there and watching everyone bake for 3 hours? I was hoping Gigi might at least be a little more hands on with everyone, but the only times she's given "advice" so far it seems engineered to undermine the contestants' confidence. And overall, Gigi seems like an afterthought in the show. I'm really not sure what her role is supposed to be, it seems like she's just being used as filler material.

Which they shouldn't need, but I don't think the show makes good use of it's >50 minute run time. We barely get a chance to see what everyone is creating for the main challenges, but we also aren't getting much backstory and we aren't seeing much of the judges. The show fits in two cooking challenges and still seems rushed to fit them in, where GBBS fits in three and still has breathing room. Are they really spending that much time with interviews? I'd honestly have to rewatch to figure out where the time went.

And finally, either Daniel was edited in the first few episodes to be a foil to how nice everyone else is, or Daniel just seriously didn't give them any footage of him being nice. The way he comes off is jarring compared to everyone else. I hope he gets sent home soon, he doesn't seem to have winning material, but enough to keep him going through probably the first half of the show.

Overall, I think Nailed It did a better job for me of capturing the spirit of GBBS than Zumbo is doing. The charm isn't the same, but I think it was there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Unfortunately with Zumbo I think a lot of it is the language barrier. He seems limited to the point that they're having him just read all his lines off a teleprompter and none of it comes off as genuine. That's what makes Great British Baking show so great, the hosts interact with the contestants in a way that feels very real and not overly scripted compared to other similar shows.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Basebf555 posted:

language barrier

He's Australian, as far as I can find. Maybe he's just not very personable?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ElMudo posted:

He's Australian, as far as I can find. Maybe he's just not very personable?

Haha, that's funny, I had no idea where he was actually from. Yea he must just have zero on camera experience then because he's got the charisma of a block of wood.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The other night we noticed that we had not watched the last episode of Nailed It so we sat down to watch and I was laughing so hard that I was crying. That loving Trump cake, holy poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The other night we noticed that we had not watched the last episode of Nailed It so we sat down to watch and I was laughing so hard that I was crying. That loving Trump cake, holy poo poo.

The Sessions/Gollum/Trump cake was all over the internet but I was not at all expecting the glossy Richie Rich baby Trump cake

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
One of my friends really liked 'The Following' and I really like mysteries and poo poo. Like I just watched 'The Fall' and really loved it. So I'm 2 episodes deep in 'The Following' and it has a lot of potential but it just feels like an English major took a screenwriting course and then sucked off the right people until he got it made. Does it get a lot tighter? Or is it just a bunch of poo poo like 'oh he's trying to murder people to finish his book' along with really on-the-nose poe poo poo? I can't really tell based on the ratings or anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bollig posted:

One of my friends really liked 'The Following' and I really like mysteries and poo poo. Like I just watched 'The Fall' and really loved it. So I'm 2 episodes deep in 'The Following' and it has a lot of potential but it just feels like an English major took a screenwriting course and then sucked off the right people until he got it made. Does it get a lot tighter? Or is it just a bunch of poo poo like 'oh he's trying to murder people to finish his book' along with really on-the-nose poe poo poo? I can't really tell based on the ratings or anything.

It only gets more and more ridiculous, which you could certainly argue is a good thing, but no it doesn't seem like it's what you're looking for.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is King of Kong streaming anywhere? I've been holding off on watching it too long. Seems like a good time now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is King of Kong streaming anywhere? I've been holding off on watching it too long. Seems like a good time now.

Not freely, no. iTunes absolutely has it, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah, shame. Guess I'll just rent it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How do you guys feel about the The Iron Fist? I’ve heard... not great things about it from my friends. Do you think it’s worth watching/necessary to see to understand what’s going on with the greater Defenders series? I’ll be finishing up Luke Cage tonight, which I wasn’t super into at first but then ended up liking quite a bit!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How do you guys feel about the The Iron Fist? I’ve heard... not great things about it from my friends. Do you think it’s worth watching/necessary to see to understand what’s going on with the greater Defenders series? I’ll be finishing up Luke Cage tonight, which I wasn’t super into at first but then ended up liking quite a bit!

I actually ended up liking Iron Fist better than Defenders. Defenders was a big disappointment.

Anyway yea, you really do need to see Iron First first, the character is a big part of Defenders and the storyline is directly tied into it more than any of the other individual series.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Iron Fist was a perfect show to put on in the background while I painted my house. That is about the perfect amount of attention that needs to be paid to it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

As someone who loved both seasons of Daredevil, both seasons of Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage... Iron Fist is a steaming pile of poo poo. Its tone is inconsistent, and it's littered with plot holes. Plus, you get ridiculous scenes of a woman meeting the man who claims to be her long lost friend having not seen him in 15 years, and after he leaves, she pulls out a photo of a baby and asks her secretary if the baby looks anything like the man who was just in there. She then runs to a cabinet, unlocks it, and pulls out a bag of M&Ms and says that she needs them messengered across town STAT.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Defenders was such a loving waste. In a show that seemed to want to have been about all these characters colliding and reacting to each other, only Jessica Jones and Daredevil had remotely good back-and-forth stuff. Luke Cage got majorly shortchanged.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I still basically liked the first half of the Defenders about the team getting to know each other. Then the lovely Hand hosed up the rest.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It’s one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. My wife and I were also laughing to tears. Can’t wait for new episodes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Am I the only person who can't stand any of the Netflix marvel shows?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Punisher was great, can’t stand the rest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I liked them at the beginning, the first season of Daredevil was very good. More recently I also really enjoyed The Punisher, but aside from those two seasons everything else has been mediocre at best. Luke Cage is ok.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mystes posted:

I'd rather watch paint dry than anything superhero related at this point.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mystes posted:

No they are all awful even Jessica Jones. That said I am still planning to watch The Punisher sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Marvel everything is awful. The cool special effects are what make the movies watchable, the shows are just hot trash.