Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Alhazred posted:

I wonder if Oliver got in a bidding war over the leather thong or if his first bid was 7000 dollar.

I'm sure it was a bidding war simply because he made the mistake of singling it out to tens of thousands of potential buyers who'd never have known it was going up for sale, as well as a smattering of "I'll show that fuckin' LIB" folks as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alhazred posted:

I wonder if Oliver got in a bidding war over the leather thong or if his first bid was 7000 dollar.

I'm struggling to imagine which I would find funnier. It's baffling that the guy is so hated because he's the best of the former DS alumni (Sam Bee is a solid second) but god drat does he catch poo poo on these forums.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently, all told, LWT spent $80k on Russell Crowe memorabilia.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Man, spending eighty grand on a pointless bit is the kind of thing I could see the Oliver of ten years ago cracking jokes about on the Bugle.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I'm kinda starting to think that this show that preaches moral responsibility could use its budget in better ways.

It's still funny, but there might be better causes in the world than a loving Alaskan Blockbuster.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's an entertainment news show. It's spending some of its budget on entertainment.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also think they probably want to avoid doing something generous every episode because that's how you get people besieging you for charity. It's much better when they decide on a topic worthy of it and donate without being prompted or pressured to do so.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's no 1.5m Bugaratti mouse with Rolling Stones playing. I almost wonder if its one of those things where they want to maintain whatever budget they have, so they spend as much as they can.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I'm not expecting miracles. Spend that budget on an extra episode that highlights something important instead of a week on break. Go an extra half hour when something feels significant. Pay your researchers more because they're really good.

Don't buy dick rags from someone who may have been involved with Harvey Weinstein and at best was a serial violent rear end in a top hat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Television:
The show spends money doing funny things to amuse and draw in more viewers. If the number of viewers drawn in by their funny overall equates to an amount of money taken in by the network greater than the show is spending, the show is a success, and is renewed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, when they spend 80k on a bit like this it isn't just the cost of making tv, it's calculated against how the chance of the video going viral can get them over 80k in advertising worth.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I bet many of these stunts get filed under marketing money. As far as marketing goes, it's remarkably cheap for its effectiveness.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah much like manufacturing people don’t really have a good grasp of monetary cycles once it gets bigger than about $1000 a week. $80k a week on marketing stunts is a paltry amount when amortized over millions of viewers. That works out to 2 cents per youtube viewer, and the bulk of this shows audience is the millions of hbo subscriptions.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So Oliver & Co. bid $7.000 on Crowe's jockstrap because they wanted to donate it to the last standing Blockbuster as part of their comedy show.

My question is, what was the person who bid $6.900 planning to do with it?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Rexides posted:

So Oliver & Co. bid $7.000 on Crowe's jockstrap because they wanted to donate it to the last standing Blockbuster as part of their comedy show.

My question is, what was the person who bid $6.900 planning to do with it?

Use it as a cottage cheese serving dish?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rexides posted:

They may not have come up with the Blockbuster angle at that point, I have a suspicion that they bought it and then went "Oh wow, now we actually have to write a segment around this" and scoured the internet trying to find somewhere they could offload it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Looks like two Alaskan Blockbusters have tried to contact them on twitter

https://twitter.com/BlockbusterAK2/status/985800760767074310
https://twitter.com/AKBlockbuster/status/985741039322320897

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When they led with talking about tax day coming up, I thought they were going to do a peace on how the difficulty in properly paying your taxes in the US is actually a weird conspiracy from tax preparation companies. Most countries don't make all taxpayers calculate their own bill, and when California tried a simpler system, it was shut down by lobbyists and anti-tax politicians. Seriously.

Not that Corporations routinely not paying taxes isn't a big deal, it's just that everybody should already know about it at this point. You don't really need 16 minutes and a potato to explain the concept, and they didn't even get into the interesting parts of all of this, like how the loopholes that allow this to happen weren't accidents, they were actively lobbied for and legislated, or how all countries are trying to make sweetheart deals with their tax laws to draw in business that never physically comes in a ludicrous massive prisoners' dilemma.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah in some countries they just send you a thing of what they think your taxes should be and you just sign off on it if it looks right. I think you can just do it online a bunch of places too.

Our tax code is a big bunch of bullshit, which he touched on, but even the way we file is backward, stupid, and advantages rich people. So par for the course.

Corporate inversion and other methods of tax dodging absolutely deserve to be covered too.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

SlothfulCobra posted:

When they led with talking about tax day coming up, I thought they were going to do a peace on how the difficulty in properly paying your taxes in the US is actually a weird conspiracy from tax preparation companies. Most countries don't make all taxpayers calculate their own bill, and when California tried a simpler system, it was shut down by lobbyists and anti-tax politicians. Seriously.

Not that Corporations routinely not paying taxes isn't a big deal, it's just that everybody should already know about it at this point. You don't really need 16 minutes and a potato to explain the concept, and they didn't even get into the interesting parts of all of this, like how the loopholes that allow this to happen weren't accidents, they were actively lobbied for and legislated, or how all countries are trying to make sweetheart deals with their tax laws to draw in business that never physically comes in a ludicrous massive prisoners' dilemma.

Adam Ruins Everything did a bit on that. Adam Ruins the Economy, as I recall.

(If you happen to like Adam Ruins Everything, make sure you check the podcast, where Adam interviews the cool guests at length instead of for thirty seconds.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVK4ibMI-Y

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Psychepath posted:

I'm not expecting miracles. Spend that budget on an extra episode that highlights something important instead of a week on break. Go an extra half hour when something feels significant. Pay your researchers more because they're really good.

Don't buy dick rags from someone who may have been involved with Harvey Weinstein and at best was a serial violent rear end in a top hat.

Didn't he literally do the biggest health care debt forgiveness ever?

IRQ posted:

Yeah in some countries they just send you a thing of what they think your taxes should be and you just sign off on it if it looks right. I think you can just do it online a bunch of places too.

They literally do this here. I spent like 10 minutes doing my taxes a couple weeks ago.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 17, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

In my country you don't even have to sign off on it. If you don't do anything it counts as signing off.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

They literally do this here. I spent like 10 minutes doing my taxes a couple weeks ago.

That sounds like a lot of work.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

tarlibone posted:

Use it as a cottage cheese serving dish?

Nah, the jockstrap's tenure serving Russell Crowe is over.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

well when half of the country thinks that either taxation is theft or the IRS is a biased/evil organization that should have it's budget destroyed, and 50% of the other half still doesn't like the idea of spending more money on things that might benefit poor people more than them, why we don't have those things really comes into focus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It wouldn't cost more at all; the IRS already does all of that work to check against. Hell, the decrease in error rates as demonstrated in pilot schemes would probably save them some manpower.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the big arguments used against simplifying tax payment was because if paying taxes becomes easy, then people won't resent taxes as much, which ruins the platforms of anti-tax politicians.

As if making tax filing stressful and complicated is some kind of sacrament in the name of being able to chip away at the idea of taxes as a whole.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's the same argument the gun lobby uses

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact that the error rate drops dramatically (California ReadyReturn dropped the rate from 3.1% to 0.3%) would free up the post-filing IRS resources to investigate deliberate tax avoidance, which I imagine is another black mark.

I don't want to be one of those people that just endlessly piles on you, but it's astonishing to me just how broken America is. How do you even still vaguely function at all?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We don’t but we’ve been so big and fat rich it takes a while to die of starvation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Institutional inertia is a hell of a thing

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

The fact that the error rate drops dramatically (California ReadyReturn dropped the rate from 3.1% to 0.3%) would free up the post-filing IRS resources to investigate deliberate tax avoidance, which I imagine is another black mark.

I don't want to be one of those people that just endlessly piles on you, but it's astonishing to me just how broken America is. How do you even still vaguely function at all?

There's a reason why "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" is six volumes. Big powerful entities don't tend to just immediately disappear. It's more like they die and then spend decades or centuries rotting. Meanwhile the rest of the world has to just sit there and endure the smell.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The worst part is that at this point it’s basically on the honor system since the IRS barely has time and resources to audit anyone.

Supposedly they’ll be getting a funding increase soon but I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that people have been under reporting their income in increasing numbers.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Been like that for years, the dirty secret the IRS doesn’t want people to know is filing taxes is totally voluntary. They had a great propaganda machine around the time of the Second World War that drilled into society that it’s their patriotic duty to pay taxes. Now it’s slipping as society starts hating itself and figuring out there is no consequences to not paying. It must have been a freakanomics episode that explains the very stupid way our taxes work. Participation was like 98% at one point and is now like 70 something and that’s kinda crazy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Got my novelty bunny book today

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Been like that for years, the dirty secret the IRS doesn’t want people to know is filing taxes is totally voluntary. They had a great propaganda machine around the time of the Second World War that drilled into society that it’s their patriotic duty to pay taxes. Now it’s slipping as society starts hating itself and figuring out there is no consequences to not paying. It must have been a freakanomics episode that explains the very stupid way our taxes work. Participation was like 98% at one point and is now like 70 something and that’s kinda crazy.

Have you got a source for this or are you steering the thread into crazy person court territory?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It wouldn't cost more at all; the IRS already does all of that work to check against. Hell, the decrease in error rates as demonstrated in pilot schemes would probably save them some manpower.

I remember watching a video done by Cracked or something explaining the reason why the government just doesn't do your taxes for you and tell you what you owe is...~drum roll~...

...lobbying groups (including Grover Norquist, who doesn't believe RICH people should pay taxes - but you sure as gently caress should) for accountants, tax preparers, and the companies that make tax software *make* them make it complicated!

I'm actually shocked he didn't bring up the return-free filing systems that other countries have somehow ~magically~ figured out.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 18, 2018

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Senor Tron posted:

Have you got a source for this or are you steering the thread into crazy person court territory?

If you count taxable money that was paid under the table I could see this happening but I think the overall point was missed

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/general/what-does-it-mean-that-taxes-are-voluntary/amp/L5cjhVlhh.

I can’t find the specific podcast with a quick Google search but filing taxes is entirely voluntary, sure there’s a penalty for not paying, but they have to enforce it too. More and more people are starting to realize the IRS doesn’t have enough resources to do their job correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Invalid Validation posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/general/what-does-it-mean-that-taxes-are-voluntary/amp/L5cjhVlhh.

I can’t find the specific podcast with a quick Google search but filing taxes is entirely voluntary, sure there’s a penalty for not paying, but they have to enforce it too. More and more people are starting to realize the IRS doesn’t have enough resources to do their job correctly.

This is just bad advice. 10 years ago I was working as a contractor on a 1099 and neglected to set aside money for tax time and when it came time to pay I said "gently caress it" and didn't. The next year I was a full time employee on w2 and at the end of the year I owed for that year too. Again I decided not to pay. I did the same the following year. 6 months later I got a letter in the mail letting me know that they have noticed. I didn't do anything. A couple months later I got a letter that said the IRS was levying my assets and sure enough I checked my bank account and all the money had been drained from it. This got my attention and I contacted the IRS, filed my missing years, and started a monthly payment plan and paid all of it back and then some. I figured "I'm just one guy and it's not a big deal, they aren't going to notice." Well, they noticed.

File your loving taxes because you'll end up paying them one way or another. 6 years of $600/mo really sucks. I finally finished my payment plan at the beginning of this year and it felt really good to be free of the bill.

To be clear I'm saying that "the IRS doesn't have the resources to enforce tax filing, so don't bother" is bad advice. Not that the link is wrong. The link is actually saying that "while it's voluntary if you don't file you'll be subject to getting hosed" much like I did.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 18, 2018

• Locked thread