Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

*Jack Bauer throws Siddiq up against the wall*
‘Tell me where the bomb is!’

"First I must explain, my mother always told me to be careful with bombs. One time, when I was little, I remember her telling me 'Son, you will blow your hand off, if you play with explosives.' But now I know she meant something deeper than that, that I would injure my soul if I were to ever use a bomb against another person. It defined me, made me who I am. Now who WE are. Is there a bomb? I do not know, but because of these lessons I know what we have to be and we have to be people without bombs, so I do not have the bomb. Perhaps if we are using bombs on each other, we are worse than the ---"

*continues for 2 more minutes until an close-up eye montage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
You guys have me convinced to go back and watch FTWD from season 3 onwards.

Now STFU about FTWD in this thread.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ILY

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm 99% sure none of TWD has been shot on film in a few seasons. The grain is really inconsistent vs what the ISO should be, and it's visually identical when its overlayed on VFX.
If you look at YouTube clips and other "online sources" of it with medium-bitrates, its also really clean and noise free. Those codecs are really good at accidentally removing completely random noise, but usually leave some when its film grain.

I think they're just adding it in.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 17, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Khablam posted:

I'm 99% sure none of TWD has been shot on film in a few seasons. The grain is really inconsistent vs what the ISO should be, and it's visually identical when its overlayed on VFX.
If you look at YouTube clips and other "online sources" of it with medium-bitrates, its also really clean and noise free. Those codecs are really good at accidentally removing completely random noise, but usually leave some when its film grain.

I think they're just adding it in.

No I'm friends with one of the ACs and she definitely says its shot on film.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I see the graininess the best with scenes with a blue sky, it gets really sparkly

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Blazing Ownager posted:

"First I must explain, my mother always told me to be careful with bombs. One time, when I was little, I remember her telling me 'Son, you will blow your hand off, if you play with explosives.' But now I know she meant something deeper than that, that I would injure my soul if I were to ever use a bomb against another person. It defined me, made me who I am. Now who WE are. Is there a bomb? I do not know, but because of these lessons I know what we have to be and we have to be people without bombs, so I do not have the bomb. Perhaps if we are using bombs on each other, we are worse than the ---"

*continues for 2 more minutes until an close-up eye montage*

LOL. After realizing his folly, Jack agrees to team up, but realizes he’s wasted nine hours of mission time constantly stuck listening to everyone monologue.

The bomb is the core of a failing nuclear power plant, whose remaining skeleton crew decided the only way to stop the zombie menace is to trigger a meltdown.

They race into action, only to be waylaid by whispered/grumbled one on one conversations that eat up a few more hours.

*the core’s going critical, Jack’s not going to make it (because why god, Rick stop talking about the time you ate some chicken wings so spicy it was like a nuclear meltdown in your mouth). Suddenly, someone emerges from the shadows, hitting the emergency off switch in the nick of time*

‘Heath?! We thought you were dead! You’ve been missing for weeks.’

‘Had to make a run, got caught up. Thought I was only going to be gone... 24 hours.’

*Heath slides his glasses down, winking slyly at the camera*

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

moist turtleneck posted:

PHALANX OUT (walk in a group in the low part of a wide open field)

https://i.imgur.com/5bFJKZr.gifv

This is loving dumb. Eliminate enough Saviors for it to really be an issue, then respawn the whole army for the season end" gently caress

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Boinks posted:

Half the shots in WD are extreme close ups of faces.

Also now it makes sense why Maggie isn't showing yet, it's been 20 days not 20 weeks.

Yet Judith managed to turn into a 4 year old

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did the Saviors really only have 3 settlements under their control? I kept thinking we'd find out about more

I don't count trashkrew

Also, did we ever find out what Jadis was haggling with Negan in the tiger attack finale at Alexandria? Was it just people to use as sex slaves?

Also also, did all of trashkrew have Ikea container houses?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That was the season finale for this stupid show right?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

moist turtleneck posted:

Also also, did all of trashkrew have Ikea container houses?
I really thought Jadis was hallucinating when they first showed that, so drat weird

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

TTerrible posted:

Look at you people who aren't mentioning Falling Skies.

You are like little babies.

Also that one where they went back in time to the prehistoric era to re-boot history and live among the dinosaurs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cactus posted:

Also that one where they went back in time to the prehistoric era to re-boot history and live among the dinosaurs.

Oh snap! That had a cool premise but was executed hilariously badly!

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Terra Nova was worth it for the explosion-chasing-a-dinsoaur-chasing-a-man finale.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Every gun in Terra Nova was a nerf gun.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Falling Skies was the first show to ever have me jump out of my seat and shout bullshit to what I witnessed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I must've just missed the real Falling Skies shitshow. I cut out uhhh after dude's daughter went all white-haired and something like that. Oh, she blew up a ship with herself on it or something? I don't remember.

Can someone give me a tldr of the stupid poo poo that happens in that show?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Just caught the pilot of FTWD and it feels incredibly like someone on TWD played The Last of Us and thought "oh, hey that's a much better vibe".
Does it maintain this in any way or does it eventually fall into TWD tropes?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The first two seasons are bad

Season 1 literally glosses over the first 3 weeks after the first couple zombie encounters

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

Just caught the pilot of FTWD and it feels incredibly like someone on TWD played The Last of Us and thought "oh, hey that's a much better vibe".
Does it maintain this in any way or does it eventually fall into TWD tropes?

It gets way way way better. As the thread is really convinced of, myself included, season 1 sucked and 2 was erratic. 3 is when it gets good.

But when it gets good it's better than the last like 5 seasons of TWD, possibly combined.

LadyPictureShow posted:

LOL. After realizing his folly, Jack agrees to team up, but realizes he’s wasted nine hours of mission time constantly stuck listening to everyone monologue.

The bomb is the core of a failing nuclear power plant, whose remaining skeleton crew decided the only way to stop the zombie menace is to trigger a meltdown.

They race into action, only to be waylaid by whispered/grumbled one on one conversations that eat up a few more hours.

*the core’s going critical, Jack’s not going to make it (because why god, Rick stop talking about the time you ate some chicken wings so spicy it was like a nuclear meltdown in your mouth). Suddenly, someone emerges from the shadows, hitting the emergency off switch in the nick of time*

‘Heath?! We thought you were dead! You’ve been missing for weeks.’

‘Had to make a run, got caught up. Thought I was only going to be gone... 24 hours.’

*Heath slides his glasses down, winking slyly at the camera*

:lol:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ok i was slightly impressed by the cutting-off-the-monologue-throat-slash then SURPRISE negan's alive

it is amazing how this show finds new depths each season

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

moist turtleneck posted:

The first two seasons are bad

Season 1 literally glosses over the first 3 weeks after the first couple zombie encounters

I wish so bad for a full ten episode serial properly done detailing the fall of civilization in this universe. The snippets in ftwd that actually showed this were cool, less cool were the adventures of Nick Stealing Drugs.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Darabont was gonna do it!!

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

moist turtleneck posted:

Darabont was gonna do it!!

I feel like the reason it wasn't was, again, 'no budget allocated to a cool idea'. Or maybe it's just Kirkman wanting to keep the 'mystery' of how it all happened at the start, which wouldn't surprise me since he thinks a bit too highly of all this poo poo and likely doesn't realize that not describing it more is just making most folks go 'Oh come the gently caress on! You likely won't be able to make it that interesting, just flesh it out already goddamit and that's at least something rather than more nothing bullshit mystery!'

Then again, I guess that's why I just find World War Z's premise a bit more interesting.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 17, 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Despite the prevailing opinion of the thread, I don't think seasons 1 and 2 of FTWD are boring or bad, but good and watching them should be encouraged

There is lots of great character development with Nick, Travis has a great arc with his son, Strand is fascinating and so is Daniel. And it's cool seeing some of the characters with weaker plotlines actually leap from nobodies to somebodies by season 3. Especially digestible now that it's binge-watchable

To me and my gf, coming off of TWD to watch the whole thing at the end of S7, we were in awe at how much more we were enjoying it than TWD, so I wouldn't skip any of it

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

From my POV I'm not looking for grade A TV from FTWD, but rather something that doesn't sit in neutral for, by now, all but 2 episodes of the season whilst people stage whisper their feelings.

S8 of TWD has been the worst series I've chosen to watch. I even denied watching the show to a colleague recently as I couldn't think of a way to defend my choice to do so.

The worst part of S8 is that NO ONE cares. Even the extras they're using have gotten noticeably worse. There was some good stunt work in the early sessons. Now whenever someone gets shot it looks like they filmed the first practice of ”ok fall to your knees then roll forwards".

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with this ending because it means we get more Negan and he's the best part of this show by miles.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

that's like being the most pleasant smelling fart in the elevator

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
https://i.imgur.com/Nfw45eM.mp4
I WILL NEVER STOP

Caros
May 14, 2008

I knew exactly what this was the moment it started to load. And I liked it.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Yessss

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/e2Efu10.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/dk6F1az.gifv

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

For real, are we supposed to be happy Rick won? Negan is clearly considering Coral's path forward. He wants the kid to be wrong, but it's there in his eyes. You could have had this be a moment of compromise and reconciliation. Like, that could have led to interesting things. Like how do you move forward, how do you come to terms with to unification of two groups who have had family and friends killed by each other. There are societal precedents too, but it's hard stuff, it's interesting stuff. Combined with the pressures of zombies and resource building/depletion you have plenty of scenarios were you would have your new goals and alliances both stressed and strengthened.

But naw, lol Rick didn't actually learn anything from Coral's death other than to decide to psychologically abuse a dude for the rest of his life in order to prove the point that the Ricktatorship is law.

Hell, you want people do want a coup? How about make it against how Rick is an unstable, immoral, hypocrite, who will change his mind and plans at random and expect everyone to follow.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

What else would the D on the outside of the letter imply?!

Watched Fear last night, and even though you knew none of the good guys were going to get killed, that fight scene at the trailer park(?) was pretty tight. When Morgan and bad guy fell through that roof, the shot of all those zombies taking notice just seemed so creepy and claustrophobic as bad guy got eaten and Morgan saw how many there were.

I liked John and Althea right off the bat. Even more so when Morgan said ‘There was a king. He had a tiger.’ and they were just like ‘get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit’.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

JossiRossi posted:

For real, are we supposed to be happy Rick won? Negan is clearly considering Coral's path forward. He wants the kid to be wrong, but it's there in his eyes. You could have had this be a moment of compromise and reconciliation.

You know, there's a lot of things wrong with this show right now...but Rick's decision is not one of them.

Remember the Governor? Remember Shane? Remember how they very briefly tried to do things another way? Remember how disasterously those both ended up?

Well unfortunately, that's the way things tend to be with anyone who tries to live such a radically different life. Whether it's recovering alcoholics, thieves, career criminals, those with anorexia, narcissists... Their transformation tends to be a complicated, messy, and infuriatingly slow process with plenty of relapses along the way. Even when they actually stick to it (and even THAT'S a pretty big assumption), it will often take like, 10+ years before they've given up their ways completely.

It's part of the reason why our prison system has gotten as bloated as it has. Most criminals CAN change, given the right circumstances...but helping just one of them involves a ton of time, money, and effort invested into helping them through each and every one of their own unique daddy/mommy issues, their own unique mental disorders, and their own unique personality flaws.

Yes; Negan briefly showed regret and remorse in that one fleeting moment. But that's one moment against two whole seasons of dominating, killing, and mentally breaking people while smiling like the Cheshire Cat.

THIS, is what his "saving people" generally looked like...

Negan Wants to Bang Maggie

...and this...

Negan Kills Spencer and Smiles About It

...as well as this...

Negan Tells Daryl About Dwight's Backstory

...with a bit of this on top, for good measure...

Negan Kisses Dwight's Wife in Front of Him

...complete with a lovely review from someone else about what life under Negan is like!

Gordon Begs Dwight to Kill Him

Negan wasn't just brutal. He actively enjoyed a lot of what he did. And even if he didn't, he and Rick were still in the middle of a war. Rick didn't reasonably have a lot of options BUT to either kill him, jail him, or cripple him in some way. The guy was just too dangerous.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 18, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

So if I’ve never seen Fear can I just jump in on the 3rd season and skip the poo poo or would nothing make sense?

season 1 is v. good

season 2 has a sweet boat that should've stayed the premise of the series a lot longer

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Fionordequester posted:

You know, there's a lot of things wrong with this show right now...but Rick's decision is not one of them.

Remember the Governor? Remember Shane? Remember how they very briefly tried to do things another way? Remember how disasterously those both ended up?

Well unfortunately, that's the way things tend to be with anyone who tries to live such a radically different life. Whether it's recovering alcoholics, thieves, career criminals, those with anorexia, narcissists... Their transformation tends to be a complicated, messy, and infuriatingly slow process with plenty of relapses along the way. Yes, they WILL generally complete their transformation EVENTUALLY...but usually not until like, 10+ years.

*And tons of good evidence to back stuff up*

It's been so drat long since the start of Negan's arc, I basically forgot a lot of that stuff. They've definitely been trying to white wash Negan this past season though, make him seem more misguided than you know what all the above evidence shows.

I still stand by my assessment of Rick though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zeal posted:

season 1 is v. good

season 2 has a sweet boat that should've stayed the premise of the series a lot longer

Was it S2 or 3 where Strand ends up chatting on his boat’s satellite phone with a Cosmonaut and they both get hammered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003

I’ve meant to say it before, but:

You magnificent bastard.