Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you lick the aphids you get the horns.aiff

Every Behördenkommunikation should have a for dummies section. Like I don't know why they did this or how this happened or wtf is going on. This never happened before and they sent me five pages of paper, some of which seems to be in duplicate, full of words but none of them actually elucidate anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Datum des/der Bescheide und Datum des Eingangs bei Dir?

Effortpost später.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Ich: Och wie nett, Randler hilft einem Mitgoon :3:

Randlers interner Monolog: über meine Leiche kriegt der Fiskus auch nur einen Groschen mehr als nötig *salutiert Porträt Westerwelles auf dem Schreibtisch*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Oh god I got turbofucked by the tax with a Nachzahlung and now they say that I have to do Vorauszahlungen for 2018?? I just had the normal Abzüge off my Lohnzettel so I don't even understand how there is a Nachzahlung, wasn't everything versteuert already? What is the Vorauszahlung for? I am unlikely to make as much in 2018 as I did in 2017 so that's gonna suck. Did my Arbeitgeber gently caress up somehow? Can I get out of the Vorauszahlungen if I tell them that I don't have as much money this year? Is there like a Steuerberater for poors that can help me figure out what went wrong? They want half a loving Monatsbrutto

Hey what's up unexpected huge expense buddy :hfive:

I can't give you any real advise(aside from the comedy option of becoming a sovereign citizen and refusing to create joinder with the finanzamts) but you should never panic. Even in the absolute worst case scenario you can always get a consumer credit with flexible repayment plans and then pay it back as fast as possible. Hope it works out and Randler can lawyer you out of it. :ohdear:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Did anyone watch Sonneborn's latest troll spech in the EU parliament on the occasion of Jupiter's strike on Syria :allears:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Hey what's up unexpected huge expense buddy :hfive:

I can't give you any real advise(aside from the comedy option of becoming a sovereign citizen and refusing to create joinder with the finanzamts) but you should never panic. Even in the absolute worst case scenario you can always get a consumer credit with flexible repayment plans and then pay it back as fast as possible. Hope it works out and Randler can lawyer you out of it. :ohdear:

What the gently caress, does that actually happen? Like, people go in debt to pay their taxes? How? Don’t get me wrong, I also got hosed a few years ago when I unexpectedly had to do a Nachzahlung of like 6000 francs but that’s why one should always have a Sparkonto for these eventualities. Then again, Steuerschulden are like reason number one for personal bankruptcy in Switzerland so maybe there is a problem there.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wengy posted:

What the gently caress, does that actually happen? Like, people go in debt to pay their taxes? How? Don’t get me wrong, I also got hosed a few years ago when I unexpectedly had to do a Nachzahlung of like 6000 francs but that’s why one should always have a Sparkonto for these eventualities. Then again, Steuerschulden are like reason number one for personal bankruptcy in Switzerland so maybe there is a problem there.
Swissgoons‘ unironic response „have you tried not being poor“

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 17, 2018

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

People being naive with money and goods is definitely a first in the history of mankind.

suck my woke dick posted:

Did anyone watch Sonneborn's latest troll spech in the EU parliament on the occasion of Jupiter's strike on Syria :allears:

:laffo: I love Die Partei

Healbot fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 17, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Randler posted:

Datum des/der Bescheide und Datum des Eingangs bei Dir?

Effortpost später.

Bescheid von gestern, Eingang heute

I can pay the Nachzahlung, getting a surprise Rechnung over this kind of money with no idea what's going on and a promise that they'll want the same amount again this year on top of the taxes I already pay / paid just kinda scared me for a sec.

I would really appreciate any light you can shine on this, Randler. I'll also call the Finanzamt tomorrow I suppose.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Cingulate posted:

Swissgoons‘ unironic response „have you tried not being poor“

Well no, but if taxes in Germany work anything like they do here (they probably don’t) you can put aside part of your monthly income so as to be gewappnet for these Eventualitäten...? And like you’re not gonna be taxed for more money than you actually make, right? When I got that big Nachzahlung it hurt like gently caress but I did have the money, otherwise I wouldn’t have had to nachzahl.

I mean I’m actually in a really terrible situation income-wise right now (most of you probably make much more than me) but I’m saving big chunks every month regardless because if I don’t I’ll get hosed by taxes as soon as I (hopefully) earn a bit more.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This discussion makes me suddenly glad about that huge chunk of my income which gets automatically deducted for tax every month, because holy poo poo, I would need to make a lot of extra money to make the Finanzamt go :lol: still not enough

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Wengy posted:

Well no, but if taxes in Germany work anything like they do here (they probably don’t) you can put aside part of your monthly income so as to be gewappnet for these Eventualitäten...? And like you’re not gonna be taxed for more money than you actually make, right? When I got that big Nachzahlung it hurt like gently caress but I did have the money, otherwise I wouldn’t have had to nachzahl.

I mean I’m actually in a really terrible situation income-wise right now (most of you probably make much more than me) but I’m saving big chunks every month regardless because if I don’t I’ll get hosed by taxes as soon as I (hopefully) earn a bit more.

Germans pay their taxes directly each month (i.e. less on the pay check) so theoretically they shouldn't have to pay actually...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Mano posted:

Germans pay their taxes directly each month (i.e. less on the pay check) so theoretically they shouldn't have to pay actually...

So that makes it even easier, I guess. Here in Switzerland, no taxes are deducted from your monthly salary, you fill out your Steuererklärung in March and it will tell you how much you'll have to pay based on what you earned the past year. If you didn't save any of that money, you're hosed.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Mano posted:

Generally as a German you expect to get money back from your taxes, when you write a letter to the financial office that says:

Dear Finanzamt, did you know that I have to drive to work and also I sometimes take a train to visit my aging parents? Furthermore I have used my home computer to check my work emails. Considering these unique circumstances, please send back some of my tax money XOXO

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Bunch of poor and tax evaders itt

*takes note for file*

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wengy posted:

So that makes it even easier, I guess. Here in Switzerland, no taxes are deducted from your monthly salary, you fill out your Steuererklärung in March and it will tell you how much you'll have to pay based on what you earned the past year. If you didn't save any of that money, you're hosed.

Only Lohnsteuer gets deducted monthly from your pay. All other incomes are more complicated and probably work the same way as in Switzerland tax wise. God have mercy on your soul if your are self-employed.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Raspberry Jam outed as posho

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hold on I understand what happened. I have two jobs and I assumed what they were deducting from the second one was the taxes for all of it when actually they were not deducting anything for the first one for some godforsaken reason, and the back taxes are basically the back taxes for job one for the entire year. I lost job one tho, so the Vorauszahlungen they are hitting me with are for money that I don't yet know whether or not I will actually be earning this year. I'll call them tomorrow and maybe they'll have mercy. Sorry, I panicked a bit back there.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wengy posted:

It's ok, I was joking.

System Metternich posted:

I have no idea about Pinker's work as a neurologist
Pinker is not a neurologist, he's a linguist and cognitive scientist. I'm professionally opposed to his views, but I think of the people on his side, he's amongst those with the best arguments.
In some ways, he's a centrist, mainstream figure, in others he's a bit of a contrarian (too Darwinist for the nativists, too nativist for the non-Chomskians ...).

he should very much Shut The gently caress Up about history, and to me it seems like much of the data he is using to show that everything is getting better is cherrypicked by him to prove an already existing theory, which is bad scholarship and bad science rolled in one.
(I'm taking this as a summary of the whole thing.)

I don't think you're fair to Pinker. This is what I take to be his main points throughout the last two books:
- everyone who's talking and heard claims everything is terrible and getting worse
- on any reasonable metric, the numbers are in perfect opposition to the discourse
- the latter fact is a direct consequence of something which he calls "Enlightenment", and which I will call "Pinkerment", and which roughly corresponds to Western values, social democracy, human rights, Expanding Circle philosophy, technological progress, and a few such things
- this bag of stuff - the Pinkerment - is not just clumped together by accident, but stems throughout from the emergence of reason as the increasingly dominant principle guiding increasingly many societies
- the hippies are bad, seriously, gently caress the hippies, they caused crime waves and stuff, oh man Pinker is so angry at hippies, I don't get what's going on here to be honest, look at the guy's hair even
- there is a terrible danger that the first and second points are in conflict with each other: if everyone keeps complaining about how the current trends are actually horrible, this might stop the current trends, and things might stop getting better, which would be bad because it would mean a lot of people would continue living impoverished or unfree lives

Now the usual critique here is that Pinker ignores that there are still bad things in the world, and sometimes that bad things might happen in the future, which are both true, but absolutely idiotic as criticisms of Pinker. Your main criticism seems to be that when Pinker talks about the Pinkerment, he's using the word Enlightenment, and the Enlightenment is not all too similar to what Pinker is talking about. Ok, but how does that touch upon his actual points?
I'm actually convinced by all of them, quite strongly, maybe with the exception of the hippie hatred. Sure, all of this has the potential to be used in various bad ways (it might be used to justify foreign interventions that have bad consequences, or it might even be used to justify contemporary domestic injustices, it might lead to an impoverished epistemology, ...), but I don't think "your system can in principle be abused" is a particularly good criticism, especially considering the alternatives, all of which are really bad.

I think Pinker's main point - asking us to reflect on the fact how incredibly horrible the past was for almost everyone, and how much less awful the present is for so many people - is a really, really important point, and overshines most of his faults. The ethical implications - especially the well-being of those billion or so human beings still living in abject poverty - are immense.

Edit: For some reasons, out of all the things I have said on this board (that psychologists and brain scientists tend to think Chomskian ideas are nuts, to suggesting that much of IQ is good science, to suggesting some libertarians have good intentions and a well-thought out philosophy [actually, just Nozick], to arguing that Trump is not literally a fascist, to saying that "tech bros" are not actually that bad, ...), for some reason, the most controversial one has been to claim that our times are better than all of the past, globally speaking. People turned from "hey, I like you" to "you hate everything good and also me" from one post to the next. I don't understand!

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 17, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

German taxes are easy but I still pay a Steuerberater to do it all for me because I'm a chump who prefers that it be done right (and who likes it when my guy reminds me of deductions that I, as a weird foreigner, wouldn't have otherwise known existed).

Also thank gently caress the Finanzamt accepts my $lolhuge yearly Zinszahlungen on my student loans from the USA as a deduction, even though the relatively gigantic amounts are pretty much unknown here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Randler posted:

Raspberry Jam outed as posho

I don't know what that means so I'm going to take it as a compliment. Thanks.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Wengy posted:

And like you’re not gonna be taxed for more money than you actually make, right?

Theoretically possible and not that uncommon when we're talking about business income in general and corporations in particular. Not going to happen to somebody who just has income from employment.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Speculating on market trends can also break your neck losing all that unrealized profit that you still have to pay taxes on.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Cingulate posted:

Pinker is not a neurologist, he's a linguist and cognitive scientist. I'm professionally opposed to his views, but I think of the people on his side, he's amongst those with the best arguments.
In some ways, he's a centrist, mainstream figure, in others he's a bit of a contrarian (too Darwinist for the nativists, too nativist for the non-Chomskians ...).
(I'm taking this as a summary of the whole thing.)

Ah I see, thanks! :)

That was way too long for me, could you maybe repeat 1-2 core sentences and sprinkle them liberally with emojis? kthx bye

Sorry, could not resist :v: You know, I think you are in turn missing my point of contention with Pinker. It's not his message that I reject - I doubt some parts of it, true, but I think there's no denying that compared to the past most people lead much more secure and comfortable lives with way more opportunities. What I'm taking issue with is firstly his bad historiography. You say that his substituting the historical complex of "Enlightenment" with his own "Pinkerment" isn't the problem, but for a number of reason I do think so. First of all, you cannot simply make up your own things and definitions. As a popular author it's your goddamn duty imo to be honest with your audience and to tell them if something is a complex matter, and not to make up my own terms and poo poo on decades of historical research instead. When Pinker writes about how "the Enlightenment" was just the best you guys, and then his readers pick up a proper scholarly book and see that this author in turn describes the intricacies of the Enlightenment, or that the pseudo-scientific racism of the 19th and 20th centuries wouldn't have been possible without the Enlightenment inventing the natural sciences, or why "progress" is such a loaded and difficult term for historians, they will have to decide whom they do believe, and seeing as Pinker is way more popular I think I know which side many of them will end up. Pinker is actively dumbing down an immensely complex topic either because he's too lazy or dumb to actually deal with the whole complex or because he can't properly support his main arguments otherwise, and I hate that.

Secondly, you didn't address at all the problem of the dubious or even provably bad data he uses at points. Again: To me, it very much looks like Pinker went "I bet everything is better now than what it used to be!", shopped around for numbers until he had a dataset that confirmed his preconceived theory and then wrote a book around that. He ignores pretty much everything that goes against his idea and goes even so far as to claim that the Enlightenment got rid of racism and nationalism, which is frankly speaking a blatant lie. It's fraud, plain and simple. Neither science nor the humanities work like that. The fact that his conclusion appears to be mostly true doesn't change anything, when I go "earth revolves around the sun and here's why" and then start talking about how Earth is actually a bigass car that's stuck in an eternal roundabout (:iiaca:), then my original theory being right doesn't change that my entire reasoning to get there is wack.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm entering a scary path going line-by-line with you, but I think there's hardly a way around it because the disagreements are in the details.

Sorry, could not resist :v: You know, I think you are in turn missing my point of contention with Pinker. It's not his message that I reject - I doubt some parts of it, true, but I think there's no denying that compared to the past most people lead much more secure and comfortable lives with way more opportunities. What I'm taking issue with is firstly his bad historiography
See, that was my original point. Much like the Twitter thread I posted - the guy also said he agrees with the actual point Pinker is going for, while rejecting the bad history - I assumed that you're not disagreeing with Pinker's real message (that the median living conditions are improving over time, that on matters of living standards, there is a story of long-term progress, etc), but with the historiography, and my question was how much this disagreement concerns the main message.

I think that captures most of your first paragraph. Yes, I am convinced the technical criticism by historians is correct. But, isn't the story he is telling much more accurate than the narrative he is arguing against? You are criticising Pinker for a tendency to whiggishly reify progress. But you're not denying that life in Bangladesh today is much better than 200 years ago, and the same for Poland, and the same for California, and the same for much of the rest of the earth. And there are people who are demonising progress. I guess historians don't like the term, but just to get to the actual concepts, you will have to show some leniency with me here: we have a time where some mix of technological, moral and political progress has for the first time allowed a majority of humanity to not live under extreme material deprivation nor as subjects to brutal despots, and a lot of rather influential people respond to that by something I assume you understand to be rather worse than what Pinker is doing: an actually anti-progressive response (from left and right).

Secondly, you didn't address at all the problem of the dubious or even provably bad data he uses at points. Again: To me, it very much looks like Pinker went "I bet everything is better now than what it used to be!", shopped around for numbers until he had a dataset that confirmed his preconceived theory and then wrote a book around that. He ignores pretty much everything that goes against his idea and goes even so far as to claim that the Enlightenment got rid of racism and nationalism, which is frankly speaking a blatant lie. It's fraud, plain and simple. Neither science nor the humanities work like that. The fact that his conclusion appears to be mostly true doesn't change anything, when I go "earth revolves around the sun and here's why" and then start talking about how Earth is actually a bigass car that's stuck in an eternal roundabout (:iiaca:), then my original theory being right doesn't change that my entire reasoning to get there is wack.
Sure, you can question the details. I get that. But if I understand you correctly, you're not skeptical of the basic datum:

This is extremely good, and there should be an universal consensus that allowing more people to leave extreme poverty and oppression and sickness and early death behind is 1. possible, 2. happening, 3. of the utmost importance.
And in the face of perhaps most of Pinker's critics essentially denying 1 and 2, I much prefer Pinker over those of his critics (given these two options), and I much prefer his story over theirs.

I think we're largely in agreement about the facts, but I'm emphasising a different aspect than you, and I'm placing him in a different context than you do.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I see where you're coming from, but tbh in my eyes the best message in the world means nothing when the rest of my text is just full with me spouting utter bullshit :shrug: Aside of the moral implications of resorting to bad/biased data and outright falsehoods, Pinker just gives his critics ample material to work with - why should his theory be given any credence if much of his reasoning is flawed and faulty?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think if you line up all of the points where Pinker is in disagreement with a broad consensus of how Western liberal democracy is horrible for the world and everything right now is bad and the history of progress is a massive failure, then Pinker will be closer to the truth on many more points than the opposition.
As you yourself say: his conclusion appears to be mostly true. And the very popular opposition is making much worse arguments, committing to many more much more obvious falsehoods, to potentially disastrous consequences. Opposition to GMOs, nuclear power, but also renewables, democracy and contraception ... Pinker doesn't really need to do much to beat the opposition.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I wouldn’t complain if Merkel would use her dictatorial powers for once to shut down MDR Saxony for good:

https://twitter.com/mdr_sn/status/986177099353460736?s=21

:barf:

Interrupting tax chat to say that the episode has been postponed as 2 of the guests canceled on them. Guess which ones

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
:rip: Neon

Jetzt gibt es ja wirklich ausser Bento nichts mehr zu lesen. :smith:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Randler posted:

:rip: Neon

Jetzt gibt es ja wirklich ausser Bento nichts mehr zu lesen. :smith:

Aufgrund deiner Post Historie muss ich annehmen das dieser Post ernst gemeint ist.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Bento ist die Stimme des Volkes, alter Mann.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Neon bleibt online, für agile Millenials wie uns ändert sich gar nichts

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Bento some form of Japanese breakfast for couples? What is this German "Bento" for those of us who stopped reading print aeons ago?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Nix mit Print.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

And nix mit Internet either, or did you post a broken link on purpose? (My Browser gives me security warnings when I click on it.)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bento is a Japanese lunchbox, also popular in Munich for some reason.

Bento is also where Spiegel sends their most annoying journalists to write articles titled "I'm a Muslima who loves having sex" and "[sponsored post]".

RIP Neon, I'll miss drunkenly talking to a "photographer" about the particular "aesthetics" of Neon nudes.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Libluini posted:

And nix mit Internet either, or did you post a broken link on purpose? (My Browser gives me security warnings when I click on it.)

I guess I was subconsciously trying to protect your sanity :v: Try https://www.spiegel.de/bento then, but don’t say we didn’t warn you!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
https://twitter.com/zeitonline/status/985917913956868098

The gently caress?

Sind jetzt alle bekloppt? Die einen Fragen "darf man Neger sagen" und die nächsten fragen ob "muslimischer Antisemitismus gerechtfertigt" ist?

Haben die alle gesoffen oder was?

Spoiler: Die Antwort auf beide Fragen ist natürlich nein.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Der Typ gibt sich echt Mühe zu vertuschen, dass Kollegah auch ein Muslim ist. Fast so als bräuchte er klingköder.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Sich die Story nicht kaputtrecherchieren, am Beispiel der Daily Mail.