Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Snyder Batman has a notable scene where he's looking at thugs guarding a warehouse (original, I know) through what looks like a sniper scope... and turns out to be just a telescope, with an implication that if he wanted to actively kill people, he could have taken out half the guards right there. Kind of the odd medium in that Batman still doesn't actively try to kill people (if he's using a handgun, generally something weird is going on) but isn't going to let it get to him if his reckless driving and internal injuries end up getting people killed.

Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond notably had a disinterest in saving people from their own fates, and Bruce didn't see fit to complain.

MrJacobs posted:

No, that was a rifle, not a telescope that he used to shoot the tracking device onto the truck with.

This an homage to The Dark Knight Returns (like the "I believe it" bit at the warehouse scene's end with flame thrower guy) where Batman is setting up a similar situation to deal with Two Face, but then it turns out the gun is there to launch a rope/hook so he can rappel and break in to beat folks up. It doesn't sound similar now that I'm writing it here but when watching the movie the way it was shot immediately evoked that for me since the movie takes so much other stuff from that comic too. IIRC Nolan has a similar fake out in Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises since both flicks and BvS used a lot from it.

Lobok posted:

"Hm, how the mighty have fallen."
"Yes, I always said he should have been more down to earth."
"But it's tough to be the DA and stay grounded."
"He never understood the gravity of his situation."

I'm glad you reached such great heights with this post.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Neo Rasa posted:

This an homage to The Dark Knight Returns (like the "I believe it" bit at the warehouse scene's end with flame thrower guy) where Batman is setting up a similar situation to deal with Two Face, but then it turns out the gun is there to launch a rope/hook so he can rappel and break in to beat folks up. It doesn't sound similar now that I'm writing it here but when watching the movie the way it was shot immediately evoked that for me since the movie takes so much other stuff from that comic too. IIRC Nolan has a similar fake out in Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises since both flicks and BvS used a lot from it.

Dark Knight Rises lifted bits and pieces of it, and fit them into a different story about the end of Batman, which is why it worked. Beevis lifted it wholesale, and tried to tweak it into a Justice League origin story, which is why it didn't work.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Beevis lifted it wholesale, and tried to tweak it into a Justice League origin story, which is why it didn't work.
no it didn't

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They tried to tweak the movie as a whole into the Justice league origin, but not really the dark Knight returns portions in particular.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

They tried to tweak the movie as a whole into the Justice league origin, but not really the dark Knight returns portions in particular.

The movie was, at least what we got if not what it was supposed to be from day 1, a justice league origin film, and the story for it was lifted in large parts from DKR, a post-justice league end of Batman story, with tweaks to wedge it in - now instead of 80s, young Superman instead of old Superman, etc. and it really didn't work. Nolan lifted some scenes and some nods, and they worked much better, because the source and the destination were both end of Batman stories. It made sense. It didn't make sense for Beevis, which is probably at least partly why the story ultimately didn't make any sense either.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 16, 2018

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

The movie was, at least what we got if not what it was supposed to be from day 1, a justice league origin film, and the story for it was lifted in large parts from DKR, a post-justice league end of Batman story, with tweaks to wedge it in - now instead of 80s, young Superman instead of old Superman, etc. and it really didn't work. Nolan lifted some scenes and some nods, and they worked much better, because the source and the destination were both end of Batman stories. It made sense. It didn't make sense for Beevis, which is probably at least partly why the story ultimately didn't make any sense either.

I mean, you're the guy who couldn't figure out why Batman wears a power suit, so I don't think the story was the problem.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

I'm increasingly unsure if you've actually seen the movie

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It actually did work.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It’s unfortunate that JL was bungled so badly, because Snyder’s original pitch of “Seven Samurai but the whole world is the village” is a pretty novel way to look at the team’s formation. There’s that long-running joke of “why do you need a Justice League when you have Superman,” and the movie actually uses that conundrum as a springboard, with his absence being the inciting reason they come together at all. It’s a really cool set up for a desperate need to bring together a group of people who may not even necessarily like each other, but because the character work is so flat the premise isn’t really taken advantage of.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

It’s unfortunate that JL was bungled so badly, because Snyder’s original pitch of “Seven Samurai but the whole world is the village” is a pretty novel way to look at the team’s formation. There’s that long-running joke of “why do you need a Justice League when you have Superman,” and the movie actually uses that conundrum as a springboard, with his absence being the inciting reason they come together at all. It’s a really cool set up for a desperate need to bring together a group of people who may not even necessarily like each other, but because the character work is so flat the premise isn’t really taken advantage of.

Yeah, it's a solid motivation, though it doesn't carry through to the end of the movie where they actually set up the Justice League at the old Wayne Manor, since by then Superman is back and capable of taking care of things on his own. Unless the implication is that the Justice League is basically AAA for when Superman has a dead battery.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lobok posted:

"Hm, how the mighty have fallen."
"Yes, I always said he should have been more down to earth."
"But it's tough to be the DA and stay grounded."
"He never understood the gravity of his situation."

"i think harvey faced his own mortality"

"he was just a bit burned out"

"he certainly left a....dent"

*batman tapdances off -screen*

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm increasingly unsure if you've actually seen the movie
but why did he wear armor tho

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Martman posted:

but why did he wear armor tho

No one cared who he was until he put on the hockey pads.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fart City posted:

That would mean the last "samurai" to join the group in this case would be Superman even though he had the most humble upbringing and his own plight is what caused everyone else to reevaluate themselves and come together. Let's compare to the last person to officially join the seven samurai, Mifune's Kikuchiyo:

Seven Samurai posted:

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
Farmers are miserly, craven...
Medium close-up of MANZO and YOHEI listening, petrified.

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
...mean, stupid...
Close-up of KIKUCHIYO shouting.

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
...murderous! You make me laugh so
hard I’m crying!
He turns his back to camera and walks away; then he turns
back to them again, his eyes brimming with tears.

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
But then, who made animals out of
them? You!
He comes forward into big close-up, yelling at the others.

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
You did - you samurai! All of you
damned samurai!
turns away; pan with him as he grabs something and hurls
it away from him.
Quick medium shot of several arrows sticking into wooden
beams.
Medium close-up of KIKUCHIYO, panning with him as he bends
down to pick up more arrows.
Closer medium shot of more arrows flying past and sticking in
the beams or falling to the floor.
Medium close-up of KIKUCHIYO staring down at the samurai
again. Pan left then right as he strides about, shouting at
them again.

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
And each time you fight you burn
villages, you destroy the fields,
you take away the food, you rape
the women and enslave the men. And
you kill them when they resist.
He comes into close-up.

KIKUCHIYO (CONT’D)
You hear me - you damned samurai?!

Close-up of KAMBEI, head bowed, with HEIHACHI and SHICHIROJI
visible behind him. They are all very moved. KAMBEI looks up,
tears in his eyes. KIKUCHIYO can be heard sobbing quietly,
off.

KAMBEI
(Quietly)
You’re a farmer’s son, aren’t you?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Holy moley. This is really depressing and crazy.

I've had to deal with elder abuse before and this is all way too familiar. It's really really sad and hard to get anything done before it's too late.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/stan-lee-needs-a-hero-elder-abuse-claims-a-battle-aging-marvel-creator-1101229

quote:

Stan Lee Needs a Hero: Elder Abuse Claims and a Battle Over the Aging Marvel Creator

Back in early February, fighting what he later called "a little bout of pneumonia," 95-year-old Stan Lee had an argument with his 67-year-old daughter, J.C. This was hardly unusual, but it seems to have been a breaking point.

The comic book legend — whose creative tenure at the helm of Marvel Comics beginning in New York in the early 1960s spawned Spider-Man, Black Panther and the X-Men and laid the foundation for superhero dominance in Hollywood that continues with the April 27 release of Avengers: Infinity War — sat in the office of his attorney Tom Lallas and signed a blistering declaration.

The Feb. 13 document, obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, begins with some background, explaining that Lee and his late wife had arranged a trust for their daughter because she had trouble supporting herself and often overspent. "It is not uncommon for J.C. to charge, in any given month, $20,000 to $40,000 on credit cards, sometimes more," the document states. It goes on to describe how, when he and his daughter disagree — "which is often" — she "typically yells and screams at me and cries hysterically if I do not capitulate."

Lee explains that J.C. will, "from time to time," demand changes to her trust, including the transfer of properties into her name. He has resisted such changes, he states, because they "would greatly increase the likelihood of her greatest fear: that after my death, she will become homeless and destitute."

The declaration then explicates how three men with "bad intentions" — Jerardo "Jerry" Olivarez, Keya Morgan and J.C.'s attorney, Kirk Schenck — had improperly influenced his daughter, a woman with "very few adult friends." The document claims the trio has "insinuated themselves into relationships with J.C. for an ulterior motive and purpose": to take advantage of Lee and "gain control over my assets, property and money."

Lee's estate is estimated to be worth between $50 million and $70 million (it's been reported he receives $1 million a year for his Marvel ties). And while his primary role with the company is now mostly ceremonial — including a cameo in nearly every film — he remains a deity in fanboy culture. Despite the fact that his health requires nursing care at home and on the road, up until his most recent illness, Lee was a jovial regular at international comic conventions, where he can draw thousands of paying autograph seekers.

A few days after the declaration was notarized, however, Lee changed his mind — or someone did. Whatever happened, Lallas was soon out as Lee's attorney in a confrontation that grew tense enough that the LAPD was called to the legend's Hollywood Hills home.

Morgan and J.C. began consolidating their power over Lee. Mike Kelly, Lee's assistant for nearly a quarter-century who used to come by the house most days for one-on-one meetings, was limited to weekly pre-approved and supervised visits. A new accountant (Vince Maguire, Tobey's brother and Morgan's friend) was hired. The housekeeper and gardener, who had been with Lee for decades, were sent packing. And a revolving door of lawyers were retained over six weeks until the pair introduced Lee to his current counsel, Jonathan Freund.

Lee's phone number has been changed, and his emails are being monitored and composed by Morgan. ("Stan Lee has macular degeneration and his eyes cannot see small letters," Morgan explains. "I have been taking him to the eye doctor and reading his e-mails for him for many years. This is his request, and he thanks me for helping him.")

When Morgan learned that THR had obtained a copy of the seemingly damning declaration, he filmed a video of Lee distancing himself from the document. In the clip, while Lee doesn't deny signing the declaration, he calls its contents "totally incorrect, inaccurate, misleading and insulting." (Lallas says he went through the contents with Lee "word by word, line by line.")

In the video, an animated and robust Lee goes on to state that "my relationship with my daughter has never been better, and my friend Keya Morgan and I also have a great relationship … anybody who is saying anything [else] … is just spreading lies."

J.C. declined to speak with THR. Instead, Schenck, her lawyer, says "the story isn't that J.C. is taking advantage of her father, but that she's potentially being taken advantage of by multiple men." Lee himself remains mostly silent, except for the brief recorded statements coordinated and released by Morgan.

However, nearly all of the other players in the messy drama over Lee's estate and well-being are speaking out. Their often conflicting stories reveal an increasingly toxic and combative situation involving broken alliances, abrupt expulsions and allegations of elder abuse against one of America's most influential and beloved cultural icons. On several occasions, the turmoil drew the attention of law enforcement.

quote:

At the center of Lee’s problems is his 67-year-old daughter J.J. Lee, who, as is alleged in an extensive and damning Hollywood Reporter investigation into the financial and personal drama that’s surrounded Lee in recent months, freely spends her father’s money, sometimes to the tune of $20,000 to $40,000 a month on credit cards. When J.C. wants more money than the trust her parents arranged for her will provide, she can allegedly be verbally abusive and emotionally manipulative towards her father. Apparently, Lee’s late wife Joanie was able to control J.C., but ever since her death last July she has gotten out of hand.

quote:

Lee’s access to his longtime assistant was also mysteriously, suddenly limited, and Morgan fired the rest of Lee’s staff. Lee’s phone number was changed, and Morgan began insisting on reading all of Lee’s emails, saying Lee has macular degeneration and needs someone to read them for him.

quote:

When Morgan discovered THR had obtained a copy of the aforementioned declaration, he sent the outlet a video of Lee saying “my relationship with my daughter has never been better, and my friend Keya Morgan and I also have a great relationship … anybody who is saying anything [else] … is just spreading lies.”

Basically everyone else in Lee’s life, outside of J.C. and her inner circle, disagrees. Lee, they say, has never been good with money, and is a people pleaser who’s susceptible to con artists, an assertion that’s supported by Lee’s long history of bad investments and shady business partners. As THR asserts, his current caretakers are no exception: There’s Olivarez, who allegedly bought a $850,000 condo and wrote himself a $300,000 check in Lee’s name. Olivarez claims Lee gave him both willingly, but he was nevertheless outed from Lee’s circle earlier this year by Morgan and Max Anderson, Lee’s road manager. Morgan then turned around and ousted Anderson, claiming he stole items in his Stan Lee pop-up museum and skimmed money from Lee’s appearance fees. (Anderson denies all charges.)

quote:

As recently as March 15, employees at Pow! Entertainment, the production company Lee co-founded in 2001, called the LAPD after Morgan and J.C. went to Lee’s office and removed items in the middle of the night.

And with Lee making fewer public appearances, and reportedly appearing tired when he does go out, unless something drastic happens soon, the last chapter of this comic-book legend’s life may very well end up being a tragic one.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

For what it's worth, here's the video mentioned of Stan refuting some of those claims.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Robot Style posted:

For what it's worth, here's the video mentioned of Stan refuting some of those claims.

That video is mentioned in the article.

He is only communicating with the outside world through pre-recorded video tapes released by his daughter and her lawyer.

And having been through some issues with elder abuse, the elder denying it is not a sign that it isn't happening. Even in very obvious cases.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Robot Style posted:

Is he holding up today's newspaper in any of these videos?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think if you have a friend who cried because they saw the infinity war trailer you should be publicly flogged.
not your friend of course
That would be cruel

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Anybody post this yet?

Cathy Yan to Direct Harley Quinn Spinoff Starring Margot Robbie

quote:

Cathy Yan has been tapped to direct a DC spinoff movie centered on crazed supervillain Harley Quinn. The girl gang movie will be based on the “Birds of Prey” comic, with Margot Robbie attached to star.

Does this mean DC might actually be sticking with the existing Justice League universe for the time being?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Despite the online reputation, Suicide Squad did well and Margot Robbie was popular. I'm certain Harley Quinn merchandising will cover the cost of production alone.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Anybody post this yet?

Cathy Yan to Direct Harley Quinn Spinoff Starring Margot Robbie

Does this mean DC might actually be sticking with the existing Justice League universe for the time being?

Anyone familiar with her previous work? One feature and some shorts is a scant resume for a big budget movie like this

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, there's no way they're not keeping Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn the same, and they've got Aquaman coming out and they just brought on a new creative team for Flash. I think they'll just ignore whatever they want to and carry on.

Edit: As easy as it is to see the whole DCEU as a failure, they've only had one movie that tanked at the box office.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, there's no way they're not keeping Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn the same, and they've got Aquaman coming out and they just brought on a new creative team for Flash. I think they'll just ignore whatever they want to and carry on.

Edit: As easy as it is to see the whole DCEU as a failure, they've only had one movie that tanked at the box office.

They're definitely not abandoning the DCEU (I don't think anything to the contrary has even been rumored), but there have been so many different films and future plans reported over the past couple years that I take every one with a grain of salt until it starts production.

Well, except Wonder Woman 2. That's a real thing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I think if you have a friend who cried because they saw the infinity war trailer you should be publicly flogged.
not your friend of course
That would be cruel

Yeah cry during sports events like a respectable man!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC shouldn't announce anything unless they have a script, director, and shooting schedule locked in.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DC shouldn't announce anything unless they have a script, director, and shooting schedule locked in.

How will they know what to move forward with if they can't see how Twitter reacts to an announcement?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

You're gonna look really dumb when Green Lantern 2, The Flash, the Joker solo movie, and Batman: Year One come out last year.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

How will they know what to move forward with if they can't see how Twitter reacts to an announcement?

ouch

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

hahaha

Barry Convex posted:

They're definitely not abandoning the DCEU (I don't think anything to the contrary has even been rumored), but there have been so many different films and future plans reported over the past couple years that I take every one with a grain of salt until it starts production.

Well, except Wonder Woman 2. That's a real thing.

Aren't there something like 4 Harley Quinn films "in production"? I guess this one getting a director is good news for its prospects.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

hahaha

Aren't there something like 4 Harley Quinn films "in production"? I guess this one getting a director is good news for its prospects.

In development, you mean ("in production" usually means that it's actually filming), but yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. At various points since late 2016, Gotham City Sirens (which I guess was merged at some point with BoP, resulting in Yan's film?), a Harley Quinn solo film, and a Joker/Harley film have all been reported to be in development, and that's on top of Suicide Squad 2.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you cry during those you're a dork too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Barry Convex posted:

In development, you mean ("in production" usually means that it's actually filming), but yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. At various points since late 2016, Gotham City Sirens (which I guess was merged at some point with BoP, resulting in Yan's film?), a Harley Quinn solo film, and a Joker/Harley film have all been reported to be in development, and that's on top of Suicide Squad 2.

The Harleyverse.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

well, this is... unexpected

https://twitter.com/HeatVisionBlog/status/986364179471675392

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 17, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

To reiterate.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 17, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This is cool and good. Spielberg, serialized comics and WWII are a good fit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Possibly large asterisk:

quote:

Through his production company Ambling Entertainment, Steven Spielberg is already confirmed to produce Blackhawks, but as THR reports, the movie was initially developed as a "directing vehicle." David Koepp, who previously worked with Spielberg on the first two Jurassic Park movies, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, is writing the script. However, before you get too excited, don't expect Blackhawk to be Spielberg's next movie. The director already has Indiana Jones 5 lined up, and after that, he's planning on tackling the West Side Story remake, so it'll be a while before Blackhawk gets off the ground.

quote:

Initial talks are complete and a writer is attached, but the idea is still early on with no firm plans for when to start production.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Spielberg has been interested in adapting Blackhawk since as far back as the early 1980s. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

So like DC is going back to the prestige director with unique visions concept but with prestige producers instead via Spielberg Blackhawk and Scorsese Joker.