Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Who is gonna sing the iconic song then?

Or are they gonna remove the best song in the movie like they are doing with Lion King

They’re moving “Be Prepared” to Mulan. “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” is being shifted to Aladdin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Be prepared for business!
When we meet... the Huuuuuuns

edit

I'm in the mood to help ya "dude"
Ya ain't never made a man outta you

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shan Yubetter be gay.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Macaluso posted:

Be prepared for business!
When we meet... the Huuuuuuns

edit

I'm in the mood to help ya "dude"
Ya ain't never made a man outta you

No one runs like Mulan
fights the huns like Mulan

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I really do wonder what's the reason behind some of these changes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Neon Noodle posted:

No one runs like Mulan
fights the huns like Mulan

No one shoots a cannon like Mulan.

For there's no one as twiny or scrawny.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the description makes Chen sounds like an unbearable fuckboy - 'Yeah I'm gonna be a shithead but go gaga once I realize he's a she'.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Mulan will be like Maleficent where it uses complex adaption algebra to justify Shan Yu being the love interest and Mulan's Dad being the true master of the Huns

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No one shoots a cannon like Mulan.

For there's no one as twiny or scrawny.

And every last inch of me's covered with hair!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

K. Waste posted:

And every last inch of me's covered with hair!

When I was a lass I ate fourteen egg rolls
Ev'ry morning to help me get large
And now that I'm grown I eat fifteen egg rolls
So I'm roughly the size of Large Marge!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
They really need to go back to writing musicals backwards from composing the songs, things get a lot more cheeky that way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How’s the dude a bisexual icon, I’m not opposed to the tumblr kids but this seems like a stretch even for them

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Vegetable posted:

How’s the dude a bisexual icon, I’m not opposed to the tumblr kids but this seems like a stretch even for them

It took me a second but huh he was friendlier to Mulan as a dude than a woman wasn't he.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Vegetable posted:

part of it is a lot of the traditional romantic build up was when Mulan was still 'Ping' in his eyes

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Prince of Egypt is finally getting a Blu-Ray release!

Oh and I guess HTTYD3 got the subtitle The Hidden World but who cares, Prince of Egypt on Blu-Ray

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Welp, time to waste money I shouldn't

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

dirksteadfast posted:

If I remember correctly, they either wouldn’t distribute GotF or theaters wouldn’t show it without something less soul-crushing alongside it.

I read the opposite basically; Totoro was considered risky for some reason, whereas GotF was a well known book already, so they got paired together so GotF would help Totoro succeed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Awesome, hope the restoration is good too. The existing digital HD release is good, but probably could be better.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
That poo poo should be in the Criterion Collection.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I really do wonder what's the reason behind some of these changes.

Li Shang: admirable masculine figure, remains in a position of superiority in the military. The romantic ending has Mulan withdrawing back to the traditional female role.

New guy: initially rival, almost equal to the protagonist but flawed by pride and overconfidence, will almost certainly be bested by Mulan.

By the end of the film Mulan will take on the commander role Li Shang occupied in the original. New guy will either support her leadership (possibly with a romantic ending, possibly he is rejected by a Mulan who needs no man) or alternatively, his admiration turns to bitterness when she becomes leader and he is a late act villain.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really hope Chen is not a love interest because 'I'm gonna be nasty, mean and drive you out until I discover you got tits' is such a charming little blurb.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Robindaybird posted:

I really hope Chen is not a love interest because 'I'm gonna be nasty, mean and drive you out until I discover you got tits' is such a charming little blurb.

Isn't it the other way around in the movie?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Moon Atari posted:

Li Shang: admirable masculine figure, remains in a position of superiority in the military. The romantic ending has Mulan withdrawing back to the traditional female role.

New guy: initially rival, almost equal to the protagonist but flawed by pride and overconfidence, will almost certainly be bested by Mulan.

By the end of the film Mulan will take on the commander role Li Shang occupied in the original. New guy will either support her leadership (possibly with a romantic ending, possibly he is rejected by a Mulan who needs no man) or alternatively, his admiration turns to bitterness when she becomes leader and he is a late act villain.

Man that would be almost too good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDPK8jSn8G8

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
:chloe:

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Give me the Oscar

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On first glance I was genuinely concerned that they were making an annoying orange movie

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

patriotic dog posted:

Give me the Oscar

"you'll have the help of ALL the pumpkins" new ring tone

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I would like to know more about "Pumpkin Time"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

Did Disney lose the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's films? I grabbed a couple of the newer blu-ray releases the other day and noticed the Disney logo wasn't anywhere to be seen on them. Did something happen there between the two companies?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Disney quietly backed away from distributing Ghibli stuff last year. I don't think any specific reasons have been given, but it doesn't seem to be a bad blood thing. The transition to GKids actually started with Disney giving them theatrical distribution in 2011.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dexie posted:

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

Did Disney lose the distribution rights to Studio Ghibli's films? I grabbed a couple of the newer blu-ray releases the other day and noticed the Disney logo wasn't anywhere to be seen on them. Did something happen there between the two companies?

someone else might have more details but basically GKIDS was brought in years ago for theatrical distribution of Ghibli stuff and then they somehow transitioned to being the home video distributor as well.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got round to seeing Coco last night. Amazing visuals, beautiful music, great performances and the typical Pixar misty-eye tearjerking final fifteen minutes. Though I can't help but feel they could have had a more interesting plot in the third act given the setting than gatecrashing a party and sneaking in to a stadium gig

One thing I was thinking though - is it the first time in a Pixar (or even Disney?) movie where we see an on-screen human-on-human straight up murder? I know Syndrome killed lot of Supers but they're all offscreen, and can't think of any other examples.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Woody callously murdered Buzz Lightyear by pushing him out of a window

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The main character in Up murders a mentally ill old man.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Plenty of Syndrome’s minions die on screen. Obscured by explosions and stuff though.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also Frollo kills Quasimodo's mother on-screen within five minutes of Hunchback starting, as I recall - though I suppose he wasn't exactly out to murder her (even though, being honest, if he didn't kill her there, he'd probably have had her hanged or burnt at the stake later anyway).

I suppose Governor Radcliffe also attempted murder at the climax of Pocahontas, but John Smith wound up preventing that.

Do any of the Huns Mulan killed count? If not the avalanche, then almost certainly Shan Yu and the firework.

There's also The Lion King, but that's probably why you specified "human-on-human".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think he was specifically talking about Pixar. Fuckin' Disney Animation will straight up hang a dude

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, Pixar was certainly the focus, but then...

Matinee posted:

Pixar (or even Disney?)
...so Disney was also fair game.

Pixar's a lot tougher. Most of the grislier acts that border on murder generally didn't involve humans at all (such as Hopper crushing that one grasshopper under a flood of food to make a point, the "relevation" pterodayctl in The Good Dinosaur eating smaller animals or getting drowned after Spot tears up his wing, or any number of assassinations in Cars 2, as is fitting of a James Bond pastiche). Your best bets are what's already been mentioned.

I'm sure Incredibles 2 will provide further examples, of course, in the same vein that the first did.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for the answers, sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant like, premeditated homicide, rather than characters getting smooshed in a chase scene or killed in a battle. It just struck me as being more in-your-face than Disney/Pixar usually treads with this stuff.

Though they could probably nudge the needle a little more because the character is still essentially 'alive' in the parameters of the movie.