Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

rt4 posted:

Pay their salary in ClanCoin

Purestrain ClanCoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Impermanent posted:

that battletech lp is completely incomprehensible.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

It gets better about half-way through when I start using sprites.

Edit: Pretty sure I did the first 2-5 maps in MS Paint.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ciaphas posted:

So basically Quirks are a thing but my knowledge of them from MWO probably doesn't apply?

Quirks are a thing in TT, they are different more sensible than MWO's quirks (no "this robit shoots this kind of gun harder" and more "this robit has a notoriously bad ejection seat, your pilots are more likely to die") and they're also not in HBS Battletech because focus equals quality. Hopefully quirks are one of those things that will get added in post-launch, because they can mechs a lot more distinct.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Ciaphas posted:

That LP thread is a megalithic monster that for some reason I'm trying to catch up on from the beginning :gonk:

Impermanent posted:

that battletech lp is completely incomprehensible.

Hogarth's Heroes is the mission PTN introduces sprites in, but I think it'd still be worth it to check out the political and theatre votes, to see what's going on in the inner sphere, even if you're in need of graphics to enjoy your giant robots.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way.

It gets better about half-way through when I start using sprites.

Edit: Pretty sure I did the first 2-5 maps in MS Paint.

oh I don't think there's anything wrong with how you're doing it, It's just very hard for someone who knows literally nothing about battletech to figure out what's going on.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, BattleTech's one of those games that can be hard to parse unless you've played it once or twice.

I'm honestly surprised how many people signed up to play, I was expecting "Oh, I'll get a couple of dozen people and play BattleTech for six months to a year until people get bored of me" and... it's now seven years later and I've finally hit the end of the player list having played the game with well over 200 people.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

someone throw a link, I need some new reading material

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I can recommend reading the pre and post battle fluff, the fluff for each turn, and if you feel like it, skimming the combat results to look for crits. If something jumps out as being interesting (headshots, ammo crits, kills) you read backward to figure out who caused that. That'll get you the big moments of the battles without reading each individual weapon shot.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

I can recommend reading the pre and post battle fluff, the fluff for each turn, and if you feel like it, skimming the combat results to look for crits. If something jumps out as being interesting (headshots, ammo crits, kills) you read backward to figure out who caused that. That'll get you the big moments of the battles without reading each individual weapon shot.

This is what I do and it works great.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Cyrano4747 posted:

someone throw a link, I need some new reading material

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=136166

PTN's LP sorted by his posts only

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Air Raid is a good mission where the players basically 100% S rank it and the legend of King Dadlas is born, in fact that whole sequence is really good.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Too bad the best planet is on the wrong side of the Sphere...

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Butte_Hold

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly I like being stuck with the engines you get. Swapping them out makes mechs waaaaaay too same-y and leads to there being clear best chassis based mostly on their weapon hardpoints.

Plus, all the poo poo I ever read in the source books etc pointed to weapon swaps being a major pain in the rear end. "Rebuilt the whole goddamned mech in a factory" kind of pain. The kind of thing that was worthwhile for major states to do when they needed to downgrade some lostech design after its XL engine too one too many hits, but not something your average merc command is going to do in the field.
A lot of the weapon stuff is crit-dependent, so the MWO K2 Catapult mods sticking AC20/Gauss into a machine gun sized bay would be costly to do, and stuffing endo plus XL/LFE into everything is going to require a long trip back to the factory or an upgrade kit and a lot of time with the techs to do it right. The Mariks made a massive killing off of the other houses and mercs needing upgrades to face the Clans during the invasion years, shame that most of that largesse was stolen by the Word or forgotten in the end.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Air Raid is a good mission where the players basically 100% S rank it and the legend of King Dadlas is born, in fact that whole sequence is really good.

The whole demon hawks campaign was fantastic. Well worth reading including the comments in between PTN fluff.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The Battletech intro works really well with the Expanse theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4dx6FNGdU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Disappointed that the thread title isn't "Reactors online April 24th".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Xotl posted:

Disappointed that the thread title isn't "Reactors online April 24th".

Nice. Yeah, this should definitely be the thread title.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Internet Explorer posted:

Nice. Yeah, this should definitely be the thread title.

All Systems Nominal

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, BattleTech's one of those games that can be hard to parse unless you've played it once or twice.

I'm honestly surprised how many people signed up to play, I was expecting "Oh, I'll get a couple of dozen people and play BattleTech for six months to a year until people get bored of me" and... it's now seven years later and I've finally hit the end of the player list having played the game with well over 200 people.

I'm years behind your thread after also reading it daily for years and being one of those 200 people and it was a really cool experience that took me from 'played mechwarrior games' to 'megamek enthusiast that has happily argued about the different strategic policies of the inner sphere houses' and its definitely the reason i backed this game

thanks for running it, i'm sure its a crazy amount of work but i'm really glad for it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

sebmojo posted:

it wasn't 100% because i'm bad and got shot in the knee. someone managed to recover me though, so that was nice

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wow, it's hard to believe that mission was almost two years ago to the day

how time flies

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wow, it's hard to believe that mission was almost two years ago to the day

how time flies

The last couple years have been a trip.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I had half a freaking idea of how to play BT (or the time/:effort: to learn it) I'd sign up for that thread, but alas

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ciaphas posted:

If I had half a freaking idea of how to play BT (or the time/:effort: to learn it) I'd sign up for that thread, but alas

you don't need to know, people will help you out

i had no drat clue when I signed up and had a ton of fun putting a wrecking ball in someone's face, putting an SRM shot in someone else's face, and watching a Charger suplex mechs

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't answer, but I'm sure it's no coincidence that a handful of people who used to do fan art for your Battletech thread, actually now draw art for Battletech. :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PTN, please tell me you have that entire LP backed up somewhere for posterity. I've been playing catch-up on that thread for years and I'm still not close to getting current.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bubbacub posted:

The Battletech intro works really well with the Expanse theme music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg4dx6FNGdU

Wow. It really does! :stare:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it wasn't 100% because i'm bad and got shot in the knee. someone managed to recover me though, so that was nice

:clint:

All part of the service

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drone posted:

PTN, please tell me you have that entire LP backed up somewhere for posterity. I've been playing catch-up on that thread for years and I'm still not close to getting current.

I don't, and at this point it's too much work for me to try to archive it. I lost most of the oldest maps when I upgraded PCs.

Aside: which of these logos do you like best?

(I don't know why Imgur randomly decided the middle one didn't deserve a transparent background but oh well)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have any recommended viewing of the game and its gameplay? I gather there was a press demo recently or something?

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't, and at this point it's too much work for me to try to archive it. I lost most of the oldest maps when I upgraded PCs.

(I don't know why Imgur randomly decided the middle one didn't deserve a transparent background but oh well)

The first, though they're all worthy of being Johnny Fiveaces' logo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have any recommended viewing of the game and its gameplay? I gather there was a press demo recently or something?

Cohh’s stream is very good.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

There's a pretty good playthrough by Cohh. He's not super great at the game or anything, but he's not so bad you'll wonder if he even has his monitor on while playing, and he's entertaining enough. There's also 39 episodes of about half an hour each, so there should be more than enough in there to keep you occupied until launch.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Ciaphas posted:

Odd has also started playing as well, but some of the events in this playthrough make it a cautionary tale as well as a preview/first look.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Omar_Comin posted:

Odd has also started playing as well, but some of the events in this playthrough make it a cautionary tale as well as a preview/first look.

Like what?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Topmost is best; from both large and small sizes it reads as cards quickly and easily because of the fan shape, whereas the bottom two and especially the bottom-most are more muddled. Plus the lower rims of the cards work as a decent leading line to the Atlas in the first one.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

sebmojo posted:

Like what?

I'd say at the very least, "Don't take that last story mission 'Mech loadout into that story mission when it's your turn."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sebmojo posted:

All Systems Nominal

Yeah, this for after release.

Reactor(s) Online April 24th for now.
Reactor(s) Online, All Systems Nominal for after release.

Let's make it happen, folks!

Also, 6 more days.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone else super hyped for BT like me should grab MW:LL, it's a ton of fun and has a fancy launcher nowadays so it's not like installing a weird mod if you played it back when it was like that. Also doesn't need your own Crysis key either anymore.

The other day I killed an Atlas while in Battle Armor by dancing around the legs and digging out the rear torso. :black101:

Only problem has been outside of primetime the playerbase is nonexistant but hey a free mech game with mixed "infantry", tanks, planes and mechs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mwll is an incredible game and I am constantly astonished that it doesn't have a bigger player base.