Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't there a guy that wrote a script to put every user on ignore and it broke the forums?

i dunno if it was a script but someone who only posted in coupons ignored so many people it broke the forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ariong posted:

I took a look at the list of Most Ignored users. The top two are accounts that have been deleted from the forums entirely, which I didn’t even know was possible. They both have an insane 20053 people ignoring them, which makes me think it must be the same account listed twoce, or perhaps two accounts that were used for testing the Ignore List feature.

What I want to know about is number four on the list, ABC. Their account says that they last posted a month and a day after they registered, but also they have no posts. Yet, 1743 people have ABC on ignore. Does anyone know what happened there?

Maybe all the threads they posted in got deleted permanently?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Thin Privilege posted:

Maybe all the threads they posted in got deleted permanently?

I think I heard something mentioned somewhere is they were deleted on purpose. And that one guy was deleted cause the username was just a whitespace so it messed up the forums every time they posted.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Jumping into long threads is easy. Just read the OP, read the middle page, then skip to the next to last page and go from there. Anything even remotely interesting that happened in it will be mentioned at least 3 times with a few days.

This is pretty good advice and I'm sad it took me so long to figure it out. My only suggestion is read the last 2 pages before you post; depending on the thread of course.

Nude has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Apr 18, 2018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

purple death ray posted:

Ulililia (I probably hosed up the number of syllables there)

He's the nicest of the internet weirdos imo
He's overcome a lot of the things that he was afraid of/sensory overloads (don't want to e-diagnose, but I assume ASD,) and is doing pretty well. Good example of looking but not touching (except for some genuine encouragement) being best for people who come across as unusual online.

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't there a guy that wrote a script to put every user on ignore and it broke the forums?
:proudchief:

Nude posted:

I think I heard something mentioned somewhere is they were deleted on purpose. And that one guy was deleted cause the username was just a whitespace so it messed up the forums every time they posted.
I'm genuinely conflicted as to whether it was Radium being incompetent and a 20 year old version of vBulletin having weird issues handling large numbers of users.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Grassy Knowles posted:

he even goes swimming in blue water now, he's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_6NMFnfno

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

GWBBQ posted:

He's overcome a lot of the things that he was afraid of/sensory overloads (don't want to e-diagnose, but I assume ASD,) and is doing pretty well. Good example of looking but not touching (except for some genuine encouragement) being best for people who come across as unusual online.

He was diagnosed with ASD and OCD I believe but I could be wrong.

He's seriously an inspiration, how many people do you know confronted their worst fears and won?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

:unsmith:

It is very rare to see the weirdos of the internet ever get back to an acceptable level of odd.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It took like 6 years, but I finally put Kawalimus on ignore

Was it bird posting or fatalistic Ravens posting? I don't think he does any other kind of posting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There is still light in this world

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Dillbag posted:

The origin of :coupons: (“coupons”)

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Was it bird posting or fatalistic Ravens posting? I don't think he does any other kind of posting

I still don’t know who this user is but I never go to the sports forum. But what is non-Ravens bird posting in this context?

GoutPatrol posted:

:unsmith:

It is very rare to see the weirdos of the internet ever get back to an acceptable level of odd.

I never kept up with the Uillillia (sp?) saga but I’m glad to hear he’s doing well. So many “weirdos of the internet” stories come down to people without access or resources to seek mental health and are just struggling for some kind of connection via some online fandom or activity.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Adlai Stevenson posted:

He branched off from Ravens posting into general sports and that was it for me

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I never kept up with the Uillillia (sp?) saga but I’m glad to hear he’s doing well. So many “weirdos of the internet” stories come down to people without access or resources to seek mental health and are just struggling for some kind of connection via some online fandom or activity.

if i recall that's how uli started out, but he refused to let the tumblrtots convince him to stay hosed up and has just powered through his problems (with the assistance of some of the good people on the internet).

he seriously is inspirational

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dude was incredibly weird. And now he's... normal levels of weird. Like a pannenkoek type of harmless with obsessions. I am really happy that he's doing so well :shobon:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Well your average internet weirdo probably has no intention on ever changing and blames everybody else for their problems. Ulillillia at least admits to himself that he's freaking weird and has serious issues. That's the first step and a lot further than a hell of a lot of people get. He went to the next step of "Imma work on this poo poo." Seems like he's also always been completely harmless so it's like hey man, you do you, you know what I'm saying?

Granted in his case being weird but harmless is fine; it's his crippling OCD that I'm glad he's getting help with and working through. That can't be fun at all to deal with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well your average internet weirdo probably has no intention on ever changing and blames everybody else for their problems. Ulillillia at least admits to himself that he's freaking weird and has serious issues. That's the first step and a lot further than a hell of a lot of people get. He went to the next step of "Imma work on this poo poo." Seems like he's also always been completely harmless so it's like hey man, you do you, you know what I'm saying?

Granted in his case being weird but harmless is fine; it's his crippling OCD that I'm glad he's getting help with and working through. That can't be fun at all to deal with.

I don't think Ulillillia ever did anything except be weird and have really weird beliefs. Meanwhile, Chris-Chan is getting arrested on a yearly basis or worse for assault and trespassing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I think that shows that people who claim bullying is good for kids and builds character or whatever are full of poo poo tbh. Uli didn't have a crowd of people following him around trying to get him to jerk off on webcam, he had a moment of realization of his own and made changes in his life. Meanwhile Chris still has a dedicated organization tracking minute changes to his shirt collection.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bullying weeds the weak out of the gene pool. :biotruths:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chris Chan is pretty awful but he'd be a few notches closer to normal if he didn't have a giant hatebase of deranged assholes dedicated to harassing him for years, there's no excuse for the way he was treated and it's kinda hard to find funny in retrospect. Apart from the thing with the man in the pickle outfit anyway

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

purple death ray posted:

I think that shows that people who claim bullying is good for kids and builds character or whatever are full of poo poo tbh. Uli didn't have a crowd of people following him around trying to get him to jerk off on webcam, he had a moment of realization of his own and made changes in his life. Meanwhile Chris still has a dedicated organization tracking minute changes to his shirt collection.

Chris never deserved the internet hate machine pile-on, but him are uli are entirely different in that Uli just shrugs off any trolls and chris goes/went to absurd lengths to engage with them. The whole chris-chan thing is utterly fascinating in a horrific way. Its just this spiral of terrible people trolling a pretty lovely person and its just misery all the way down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Chris Chan is pretty awful but he'd be a few notches closer to normal if he didn't have a giant hatebase of deranged assholes dedicated to harassing him for years, there's no excuse for the way he was treated and it's kinda hard to find funny in retrospect. Apart from the thing with the man in the pickle outfit anyway

I know people who have had real world interactions with Chris. He’s always been a hostile weirdo who got arrested and banned from places for years before the trolling started. The Sonichu comics even have fictionalized depictions of stuff like getting arrested in Target.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Were you on a Chris Chan forum or something?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

I still don’t know who this user is but I never go to the sports forum. But what is non-Ravens bird posting in this context?

They're both a fan of the Baltimore Ravens and an avid birdwatcher. Not a bad person but a despair-filled sports fan who withers at the slightest touch of turbulence during the season

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

He branched off from Ravens posting into general sports and that was it for me

Thank you for the warning

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is so loving weird when he comes up in conversations because you know like... it's been a decade or something by this point hasn't it? :wtc:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

Were you on a Chris Chan forum or something?

chutoryu has admitted to posting on kiwifarms in the past which started out as a chris chan stalk site (kiwi being a corruption of cwc)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I used to be on there back in like 2012. I thought he was a really weird mental case, basically a case study on what happens when an autistic guy gets coddled and prevented from ever having to excel or do anything uncomfortable by his elderly parents and then gets caught up in a bunch of bizarre Internet stuff. He’s fascinating from the standpoint of how he developed into what he is today.

I left long before it became Kiwi Farms and got obsessed with doxxing regular people for the crime of being SJWs. But I actually do know people in that area who know Chris said personally and have spent time with him, so I don’t just base everything on sonichu.com.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Good thing you left the stalking-a-mentally-ill-man forum before it got creepy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Gum posted:

Good thing you left the stalking-a-mentally-ill-man forum before it got creepy
sadly, we all never did

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Okay, and I hate to preface this with “I am absolutely not trying to derail or start poo poo in the saga thread,” but I thought Chris-chan is a woman/uses she/her pronouns? I usually only knows the fringes of these dramas just from the sheer amount of time spent online in general and there’s no reliable way I know of to confirm these things because of the gross stalkers that clog up searches for any real info.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Okay, and I hate to preface this with “I am absolutely not trying to derail or start poo poo in the saga thread,” but I thought Chris-chan is a woman/uses she/her pronouns? I usually only knows the fringes of these dramas just from the sheer amount of time spent online in general and there’s no reliable way I know of to confirm these things because of the gross stalkers that clog up searches for any real info.

Chris-chan came out as transfeminine a few years ago, IIRC. You can guess how well the gangstalkers respected that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This comes up a lot, but I never really talk about it due to the derails it causes. What I'll say is that knowing people who have met and hung out with Chris as well as what's been compiled on the Internet (and having a transgender brother, friend, and coworkers, so I'm personally familiar with the subject), Chris has an extremely warped view of gender, gender roles, and sexuality that's influenced his decisions, some of which have involved doing some seriously harmful stuff. Chris needs therapy. A lot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i only dove into that weird wiki once and have since never followed up on it again

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like the spreadsheet with what shirts the dude owns along with notes on stains and locations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Chris Chan is more a disturbing case study on internet stalkers. I mean they rummaged through the wreckage of his burned down house for souvenirs, seriously creepy.

It doesn't take a neurodivergent person to have stalkers find something to latch onto. Even the most benign goon could get the creepy Truman Show treatment.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, I used to be on there back in like 2012. I thought he was a really weird mental case, basically a case study on what happens when an autistic guy gets coddled and prevented from ever having to excel or do anything uncomfortable by his elderly parents and then gets caught up in a bunch of bizarre Internet stuff. He’s fascinating from the standpoint of how he developed into what he is today.

I left long before it became Kiwi Farms and got obsessed with doxxing regular people for the crime of being SJWs. But I actually do know people in that area who know Chris said personally and have spent time with him, so I don’t just base everything on sonichu.com.

Can you explain why exactly Chris Chan is fascinating? You said a bunch of stuff here but I've never been able to figure out why hundreds of people have a 24/7 running commentary on everything he does down to how much gas he gets whenever he is driving between two places or the specifics of his dinner.

SA discovered Chris Chan and we made fun of how weird sonichu was for awhile, then we found out people were obsessively cataloging his shirts so we made fun of them, then some people here started becoming obsessed with his every breath and they had to be ran off.

I just don't see what it is about this one mentally ill person that causes so many people to make the jump to being even more mentally ill than the target. You are fondly talking about your years of monitoring his life and your insider knowledge about his family and how fascinating he is. He was fascinating enough to get a thread here for awhile until everyone learned what sonichu was and had a chance to laugh at it. That doesn't then justify a decade of extreme gangstalking.

I just don't get it.

Is it a nostalgia thing? Like Chris Chan was the first internet horror story to a lot of people at a impressionable time in their lives? Like someone's first MMO or cartoon series or whatever? Now they are in their 30s going through his garbage and recounting the entire life of his entire extended family because nothing will ever be like him to them?

I'm not trying to attack you or anything I've just wanted to ask Chris Chan people what the deal was for years now and I've never met anyone that actually cared.

VictorianQueerLit has a new favorite as of 18:48 on Apr 18, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I was part of a community that tracked someone's every movement, but don't worry I left before it was rebranded as doxxing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

I was part of a community that tracked someone's every movement, but don't worry I left before it was rebranded as doxxing.

star citizen was a mistake

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Can you explain why exactly Chris Chan is fascinating? You said a bunch of stuff here but I've never been able to figure out why hundreds of people have a 24/7 running commentary on everything he does down to how much gas he gets whenever he is driving between two places.

SA discovered Chris Chan and we made fun of how weird sonichu was for awhile, then we found out people were obsessively cataloging his shirts so we made fun of them, then some people here started becoming obsessed with his every breath and they had to be ran off.

I just don't see what it is about this one mentally ill person that causes so many people to make the jump to being even more mentally ill than the target. You are fondly talking about your years of monitoring his life and your insider knowledge about his family and how fascinating he is. He was fascinating enough to get a thread here for awhile until everyone learned what sonichu was and had a chance to laugh at it. That doesn't then justify a decade of extreme gangstalking.

I just don't get it.

Well for one, it wasn't "years of monitoring his life". I didn't discover Chris until long after all the most infamous trolling stuff like the Pickle Man happened and he had temporarily abandoned the Internet and I was off that site before he really started doing more stuff. I never participated in anything like trolling or going to his town. When I say I know people who know him, that means I'm actually friends with people who have been in the area and have maintained contact with him, not weird stalker trolls. There's only one person from that old board that I still stay in touch with, and the ones who stayed as it became Kiwi Farms went along with obsessing over regular trans people or posting every single tweet by Voidburger.

In terms of "fascinating", I don't give a poo poo about cataloging his shirts or the exact composition of the posters on his wall. What I found really interesting is the path his life and brain took from birth to now. I had taken psychology classes around that time, and there's not really anyone whose life is documented in such detail that you can actually see how a normal autistic kid from Virginia ended up a psychotic wreck. He's incredibly bizarre due to a lot of different factors as he grew up, and he was doing some of his weirdest stuff before he ever became a troll's plaything. As a new psychology student, he was really unique.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah but enough about the SA forums.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah but enough about the SA forums.

Sounds like he was part of it specifically because it followed CC. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

chitoryu12 posted:

I didn't discover Chris until long after all the most infamous trolling stuff like the Pickle Man happened and he had temporarily abandoned the Internet and I was off that site before he really started doing more stuff.

Two questions.

1. Do you think “The Pickle Man” is something that is common knowledge, to the extent that no explanation is required?
2. Do you think that it is normal to keep enough tabs on how often someone uses the internet that you can tell when they have decided to change their internet use habits?

If yes to either, perhaps you should consider that your idea of what is an acceptable level of information to compile about a person you do not know is skewed. Because this:

chitoryu12 posted:

In terms of "fascinating", I don't give a poo poo about cataloging his shirts or the exact composition of the posters on his wall. What I found really interesting is the path his life and brain took from birth to now. I had taken psychology classes around that time, and there's not really anyone whose life is documented in such detail that you can actually see how a normal autistic kid from Virginia ended up a psychotic wreck. He's incredibly bizarre due to a lot of different factors as he grew up, and he was doing some of his weirdest stuff before he ever became a troll's plaything. As a new psychology student, he was really unique.

Is horrifying. “Hmm, what an interesting research subject!” This is a human being! One who didn’t consent to any of this! It’s not okay to use this information for anything, and as far as I am concerned no useful conclusions can be gleaned from it.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 19:13 on Apr 18, 2018