Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She was a good cop who suffered a horrific trauma and sought revenge for it until Oliver stopped her. Then she fell out with Oliver, was reunited with her dead lover, and then experienced the same exact trauma at the hands of someone Oliver was protecting and she lost it in the same way. Especially since only a year has passed.

I don't think that makes her a "bad" cop or anything (anything more than she was already as a vigilante but Star City is obviously a sliding scale). I don't think it makes her a murderous psychopath either, unless we're calling pretty much everyone on the show that at some point of trauma. And in fairness to her, she did choose to show Evil Laurel mercy, didn't she? That's some growth.

Like again, I didn't like the story but I don't think the right interpretation is to write Dinah off as a monster or something. But that's my interpretation, you can have yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

How can Legends of Tomorrow be so good while Flash and Arrow are so horrible?

Flash is good this season, just not season 1 good. And season 3 wasn't that bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flash season 1 wasn't good though.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

But see, the Hood was a different guy who's currently on the run from the law. Green Arrow is a similar but distinct bow using vigilante. The similarities are merely superficial as Star City has a history of bow users popping up in the city.

Actually this is right and makes complete sense. I don't know why I forgot that there have been like a half dozen different bow murderers in Star City. Oliver could just claim he is the popular one that has done the most good and pretend he wasn't the psychopath bursting through windows to assassinate businessmen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Actually this is right and makes complete sense. I don't know why I forgot that there have been like a half dozen different bow murderers in Star City. Oliver could just claim he is the popular one that has done the most good and pretend he wasn't the psychopath bursting through windows to assassinate businessmen.

From memory, Here's a list of bow users in Star City:
The Hood
Arsenal
Merlyn
Cupid
Numerous League of Assassins ninjas
The (Green) Arrow
Speedy

Looking up the wiki, there's also: Komodo, Artemis and I guess Chase also used the bow for a bit.

So yeah. To a lay person in their world, Star City just attracts archers for some weird reason and that all started with the appearances of The Hood. GA has a few kills on his record, notably Damien Dahrk, but impeaching him over that would've been a decent sideplot that would illustrate his own sort of popularity within the city like the news segments in Black Lightning after it was alleged he killed Lady Eve.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Arrow and the Green Arrow are 2 different people publicly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Xelkelvos posted:

From memory, Here's a list of bow users in Star City:
The Hood
Arsenal
Merlyn
Cupid
Numerous League of Assassins ninjas
The (Green) Arrow
Speedy

Looking up the wiki, there's also: Komodo, Artemis and I guess Chase also used the bow for a bit.

So yeah. To a lay person in their world, Star City just attracts archers for some weird reason and that all started with the appearances of The Hood. GA has a few kills on his record, notably Damien Dahrk, but impeaching him over that would've been a decent sideplot that would illustrate his own sort of popularity within the city like the news segments in Black Lightning after it was alleged he killed Lady Eve.

Also Diaz, or one of his henchmen anyway.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bruceski posted:

And about a dozen cops after his Velocity-fueled rampage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

The Arrow and the Green Arrow are 2 different people publicly.

Isn't the Arrow the one that Roy took the fall for?

The problem for Oliver going forward is that Green Arrow has been on TV too much for him to just show up in a slightly different costume claiming to be a totally different guy.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Bringing back Chase was a super bad idea because it just highlights how much better he was than anyone we've seen recently, especially Diaz. Who I kinda like even though like everyone's said he hasn't really done anything worth mentioning, I think at the very least Acevedo is playing him kinda creepy. Especially with how much he blinks.

Season isn't that bad, though, I think. Still not as bad as 3 or 4 were at their worst.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's definitely the worst season for me, or at least tied with 3. 3 was wasted potential with the league. This is just boring and you can tell the writers have no idea what to do anymore.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't the Arrow the one that Roy took the fall for?

The problem for Oliver going forward is that Green Arrow has been on TV too much for him to just show up in a slightly different costume claiming to be a totally different guy.

Roy took the fall for the Arrow/the Hood because Ollie rebranded himself after S1

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's definitely the worst season for me, or at least tied with 3. 3 was wasted potential with the league. This is just boring and you can tell the writers have no idea what to do anymore.

Worst season for me by far. There have been about six different plot lines and every single one of them is irredeemably stupid.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

As someone who legitimately really enjoyed the League of Assassins stuff in S3, yeah, this is definitely the worst season. The team breakup storyline had some potential but has been handled in just the most terrible way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I find it amusing that there are still people convince that John DIggle is actually John Stewart and any day now a ring is gonna show up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is:

- The Hood murders a lot of people
- Oliver reforms and rechristens himself The Arrow
- Roy takes the fall for the Hood/Arrow
- Oliver retires to the burbs with Felicity
- Oliver comes back as Green Arrow

I think separating the Hood and the Arrow is hard and I think Roy took the fall for both and Quentin very much believed they were one in the same. I can buy that Star City has so many archers and vigilantes that most think Green Arrow is a new guy and maybe even the Arrow was a different guy from the Hood. The problem, I think, is context.

- Oliver Queen returns from the dead and the Hood shows up.
- Oliver is arrested and accused of being the Hood.
- The Hood disappears and the Arrow shows up.
- Oliver is accused of being the Arrow and Roy takes the fall.
- The Arrow disappears and Oliver Queen leaves town and Queen Industries becomes Palmer Tech.
- Green Arrow shows up and Oliver Queen shows back up to run for Mayor.
- Oliver Queen is arrested and accused of being Green Arrow.

And there's other stuff like Mayor Queen memorializing his longtime friend Laurel Lance as longtime Arrow ally Black Canary or his DA and personal lawyer being the Throwing Star Killer (I can't remember how public his thing got). And did Oliver's reporter girlfriend ever publicly accuse him or did Felicity frame her before she could?

That's a lot of connections. Not that every Star City resident would know that all but there's gotta be a media type connecting the dots and screaming about how obvious it is.

I just think we've crossed a point where the DAs response last week of "I know you're Green Arrow" should be pretty common place. Oliver might get away with it legally and politically but you can't shake accusations once they're out there. And too much is out there to assume no one is connecting the dots.

But it's a comic book so after all that I'd go with whatever and what I really want now is Jack Ryder next season hounding Mayor Queen with nightly conspiracy episodes on his hooded past as GA deals with The Creeper. I'm amazed he hasn't shown up yet.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

As I recall, the FBI agent was pinning the Hood's murders on Oliver by claiming Harper was obviously acting at Oliver's direction.

It is pretty dumb that the feds would go state's-witness with the guy they believed actually committed murders as the Hood so they could successfully prosecute the guy who took over and didn't kill anybody, but whatever. Par for the course.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Sir Potato posted:

Bringing back Chase was a super bad idea because it just highlights how much better he was than anyone we've seen recently, especially Diaz. Who I kinda like even though like everyone's said he hasn't really done anything worth mentioning, I think at the very least Acevedo is playing him kinda creepy. Especially with how much he blinks.

I'm in the same boat. I dislike Diaz as a character, mostly because of lack of proper setup, but i really like the guy playing him. Acevedo can command a scene pretty well.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Zutaten posted:

I'm in the same boat. I dislike Diaz as a character, mostly because of lack of proper setup, but i really like the guy playing him. Acevedo can command a scene pretty well.

This is what's killing me about the whole thing. Kirk is rock solid and they've just given him so little to work with and it's especially galling considering the great job they did last season. I'm sure we'll hear the same old stories over the summer about how they're taking it back to basics and have learned their lesson.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I chalk most of the problem of the season up to too much and not enough focus. They had two good actors in Acevedo and Emerson as season villains but gave each half a season and then tossed in Black Syren, Vigilante, a government investigation/conspiracy, inner team turmoil, Oliver learning to be a dad, a Thea/Roy/Nyssa/League of Assasins diversion, and Anatoly loitering off in the corner.

I could see this being a response to complaints about Arrow/Flash being too drawn out with the bad guy going across a full season. I could see this being just no clear vision so them throwing too much at the wall. If I was generous I'd call it "over ambitious" as they tried to do too much. But either way its been a bit of a sloppy mess and nothing's really stuck.

But as usual I enjoy it more than most here in my weekly superhero show block (and if I didn't I wouldn't be watching). Its just not anything I'm going to feel like rewatching before next season starts. Even though when I try to remember what happened a lot of it probably won't have stuck.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

STAC Goat posted:

I chalk most of the problem of the season up to too much and not enough focus. They had two good actors in Acevedo and Emerson as season villains but gave each half a season and then tossed in Black Syren, Vigilante, a government investigation/conspiracy, inner team turmoil, Oliver learning to be a dad, a Thea/Roy/Nyssa/League of Assasins diversion, and Anatoly loitering off in the corner.

I could see this being a response to complaints about Arrow/Flash being too drawn out with the bad guy going across a full season. I could see this being just no clear vision so them throwing too much at the wall. If I was generous I'd call it "over ambitious" as they tried to do too much. But either way its been a bit of a sloppy mess and nothing's really stuck.

This is pretty accurate.

I started typing out some of the numerous unfocused plot threads to make fun of them but it started turning into a ridiculous giant mess which is indicative of this season.

The FBI agent running 24/7 surveillance and hounding the team to add tension to their every movement only to completely disappear whenever she wasn't convenient to the plot, WyldDawg and his daughter getting kicked straight out of the show or Anatoli becoming a background henchman are highlights.

I had already almost forgotten about Vigilante, Oliver learning to be a dad, the league of assassins stuff and Black Siren. All of this isn't even including Cayden James, Deathstrokes and a bunch of other stuff.

Hopefully they respond to the criticism and we get a better season like the Season 3 - Season 4 divide.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 17, 2018

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Bruceski posted:

And Huntress!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mooseontheloose posted:

Flash is good this season, just not season 1 good. And season 3 wasn't that bad.

You wot?

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Might there be hope for next season after all?

'Arrow'-verse Shake-Up: Beth Schwartz Upped to Showrunner
Guggenheim steps down to consulting role (on this show and Legends), other EP Wendy Merricle is leaving.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I read an article today from some site I'd never heard of that (S6 Finale episode title and S7 predictions) the title of the finale is "Life Sentence" and they predicted the next season would take place entirely in prison, because Ollie outs himself and gets arrested because of it. I'd bet a better show could handle a whole season in prison but that sounds like a death sentence for this show if that's the case. Could be interesting with a new showrunner, though.

It certainly has been bad at times, but I feel like with the pretty good action sequences this season it's managed to kinda balance the really dumb stuff everyone is doing. I do agree they're lacking focus with their villains, shoving in 5, all competing for screen time. Having James be a first half villain and Diaz be a second half villain would have been a good move if they'd even bothered to flesh out Diaz.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Sir Potato posted:

I read an article today from some site I'd never heard of that (S6 Finale episode title and S7 predictions)

If they could pull off a Super Max story that'd be awesome, but I don't think they can.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bentacos posted:

If they could pull off a Super Max story that'd be awesome, but I don't think they can.

The episodes this year on Flash were Barry was in the slammer were some of the best of the season. That said, I'm pretty sure even Prison Break didn't manage to make it a full season inside the prison, right?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How are they gonna have a midseason crossover with Ollie in jail!

(solution: Just have it without him :v:)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

If that's true then god I hope they somehow manage to fit into the season Snart and uhhhhhh Dominic Purcell's character whose name I've since forgotten

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

If that's true then god I hope they somehow manage to fit into the season Snart and uhhhhhh Dominic Purcell's character whose name I've since forgotten

Really? How the hell could you forget Mick Rory? You should watch Legends. Also Wentworth Miller's long past done with the Arrowverse plus Earth-1 Snart is canonically 1000% dead, so it's doubtful he'll be back. Purcell meanwhile is having a loving blast on Legends, so I doubt he's going anywhere either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If they weren't total time travel fuckups it wouldn't matter that he died.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just watched the episode and I want to dislike it but man I love mindfuck episodes. Give me all the illusions. I only wish Hood-Oliver was in more scenes taunting Oliver instead of Chase, but I get why they did it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually really enjoyed that episode too. Like I said, I've mostly enjoyed the season even if narratively its been a bit of a mess and I probably won't retain much of it next season.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also Wentworth Miller's long past done with the Arrowverse

Unless there's been something I've missed this still seems like a massive misreading and overreaction from fans. He wasn't on any show's cast but he had a multi-show contract to appear across the Arrowverse. Katie Cassidy had the same thing at some point. That contract ran out and they opted not to renew. So he's not on retainer or the immediate plans of the Arrowverse. That doesn't mean they had some kind of falling out and he can't return to a franchise of shows that LOVES to bring back characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

STAC Goat posted:

That doesn't mean they had some kind of falling out and he can't return to a franchise of shows that LOVES to bring back characters.

Speak of the Devil...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I actually really enjoyed that episode too. Like I said, I've mostly enjoyed the season even if narratively its been a bit of a mess and I probably won't retain much of it next season.

Unless there's been something I've missed this still seems like a massive misreading and overreaction from fans. He wasn't on any show's cast but he had a multi-show contract to appear across the Arrowverse. Katie Cassidy had the same thing at some point. That contract ran out and they opted not to renew. So he's not on retainer or the immediate plans of the Arrowverse. That doesn't mean they had some kind of falling out and he can't return to a franchise of shows that LOVES to bring back characters.

Sorry, I'd just meant that yeah his contract was done and he seemed to give the impression that a return to the universe wasn't in the cards, especially after the big deal they made out of "Snart's big farewell to the Arrowverse" with Crisis on Earth-X and his followup stint on Legends post-Stein.

That said, I'm glad to see him back next week, because god drat this ep of Flash got dark in a loving hurry.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Unless Ollie gets sent to a Villains prison, and they fill it with the bottom tier DC villains, prison season would suck.

every episode would be him trying to avoid getting shanked, treated like poo poo by the guards and warden. We'd find out some powerful prisoner has a personal vendetta against him, and he has to form his own gang inside the prison to stop him and stop the prison from being hell.

While on the outside, the team tries to get Ollie out of prison, both legal and extralegal methods. All the while Diaz is basically king of the city but no one believes it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flash did a prison arc and it sucked.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
At this point, Ollie just needs to get out of Star City for a while. Maybe do some globetrotting

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Flash did a prison arc and it sucked.

Counter: I liked the flash prison arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mooseontheloose posted: