Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Kujo Painting This dude is real good and has a smooth Scottish accent.

e: fixed.

Seconding. I've used almost all his tips and they've always come out the tops.

Yeast posted:

He sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but his methodology is sound.

He is good to watch when he's painting, his tips are good.

However.

He has so many fans, that pay lots of money, that he HAS to critique their painting endlessly because they are literally throwing tons of cash at his stream. If you watch him these days it's 80% him saying "Good job!" for models where people just don't thin their paints. I feel kind of bad for the guy. His actual time painting on stream is about 10 minutes spread over a few hours. It's bad. Real bad.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

X-post from the 30k thread

Hixson posted:

I finished the first of 2 blade slaves for my pre-heresy Word Bearers

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Hixson posted:

Holy poo poo

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Hixson posted:

I don't think there's anything "pre" heresy about that guy.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ilor posted:

I don't think there's anything "pre" heresy about that guy.

idk what you're talking about, Brother Murderbone is clearly blessed by the Emperor

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
He has eczema you assholes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/MagerValp/status/985584774810136576

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

This lacks the vibrational control to be reliably and efficiently operated in the long-run. :ohdear:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has anyone used Gaia Color here? The tamiya bare metal silver I got is pretty good but the GC Star Bright Duralumin looks a lot more metally. Its a lacquer based paint and I've only used acrylic based so far.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This is very dumb but also owns.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Started painting Valoris tonight. I know he’s supposed to be gold, but I like him better silver. Thinking about doing a horizontal split for the tilting shield. Any ideas for the colors?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goodness posted:

And regarding thickness, almost all the bases I am seeing are 2mm thick however that adds a lot of height to a 6mm miniature. Is 1mm to thin to do?

The thickness of the base doesn't matter - all terrain will be higher than your models anyway, so you won't be getting an advantage for a base. You could mount them on a piece of index card or plywood and have the same in-game effect. Go with the look you prefer.

The one thing I would say is that you may want to base with an eye to magnetizing in the future - it makes transporting models a whole lot easier.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zuul the Cat posted:

Started painting Valoris tonight. I know he’s supposed to be gold, but I like him better silver. Thinking about doing a horizontal split for the tilting shield. Any ideas for the colors?

I'm the Palms Vert

E: oh wait, those are feathers.

EE: That isn't criticism, I really like Silver Custards both in concept and in your application, although blue and green seem clashy, why not color-wheels it and make the feather yellow/orange?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 16, 2018

genola
Apr 7, 2011
If you’re doing those as green feathers, then maybe add some blues or reds to the base or ends of the feathers, like the feathers of a peacock or quetzal bird.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
What digital cameras are you all using to get great shots of your work? I'm in the market for a new camera and I'm trying to decide which direction I should be going in.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Big McHuge posted:

What digital cameras are you all using to get great shots of your work? I'm in the market for a new camera and I'm trying to decide which direction I should be going in.

Any slr or mirrorless camera will give you great shots, especially if paired with a macro lens. Lighting matters more than camera.

Go to an actual store so you can play with cameras and figure out what feels best in your hand. Personally, I shoot Canon cameras, which are currently a little worse than nikon or Sony, but I hate the ui of those cameras.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I'm the Palms Vert

E: oh wait, those are feathers.

EE: That isn't criticism, I really like Silver Custards both in concept and in your application, although blue and green seem clashy, why not color-wheels it and make the feather yellow/orange?

My idea was that the feathers, cloak and tilt shield would be analogous colors, then his face and axe, which i want to be the focus points, will be complementary colors. (Face subnurned tan, axe orange-reddish.)

genola posted:

If you’re doing those as green feathers, then maybe add some blues or reds to the base or ends of the feathers, like the feathers of a peacock or quetzal bird.

I actually gave it a blue wash, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. I'm not entirely certain how to do feathers. I'll have to see if i can find a guide.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big McHuge posted:

Booley posted:

Any slr or mirrorless camera will give you great shots, especially if paired with a macro lens. Lighting matters more than camera.

Go to an actual store so you can play with cameras and figure out what feels best in your hand. Personally, I shoot Canon cameras, which are currently a little worse than nikon or Sony, but I hate the ui of those cameras.

To add to this, make sure you have a background, whether its a Macro Mat, sheet, posterboard, or whatever. If you are trying to shoot on a desk full of paint jars, models, and assorted crap, the camera will invariably focus on anything other than the miniature.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

To add to this, make sure you have a background, whether its a Macro Mat, sheet, posterboard, or whatever. If you are trying to shoot on a desk full of paint jars, models, and assorted crap, the camera will invariably focus on anything other than the miniature.

Don't use fabric. Sheets are bad. Macromats are ugly. Get a roll of seamless paper.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fyrbrand posted:

This is very dumb but also owns.

Much like scale miniatures.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can I expect to find 1mm or 2mm MDF at a store in the US or is it something I need to order online>

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goodness posted:

Can I expect to find 1mm or 2mm MDF at a store in the US or is it something I need to order online>

I've only ever seen it sold online from UK dollhouse and model ship suppliers. And even if you can get it, you'll have to cut it somehow. Honestly, you're better off using plasticard or FOW bases. Is there a reason you don't just do that?

EDIT: Also this

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 17, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've only ever seen it sold online from UK dollhouse and model ship suppliers. And even if you can get it, you'll have to cut it somehow. Honestly, you're better off using plasticard or FOW bases. Is there a reason you don't just do that?

EDIT: Also this

I do have access to a laser cutter.

2mm bases look a little thick on 6mm models so I was trying to go a little thinner. I like the sizes and rounded corners of FoW bases but need them a little thinner to have a magnet sheet on the stand as well.

I don't think I could cut plasticard with the laser without burning it but I'll try.

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 18, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I do have access to a laser cutter.

2mm bases look a little thick on 6mm models so I was trying to go a little thinner. I like the sizes and rounded corners of FoW bases but need them a little thinner to have a magnet sheet on the stand as well.

I don't think I could cut plasticard with the laser without burning it but I'll try.

1/32 is roughly equivalent to 1mm, you could try these. I can't imagine that a lasercutter can cut mdf but not basswood. https://midwestproducts.com/collections/basswood/products/1-32-x-2-x-24-basswood-sheets

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Booley posted:

1/32 is roughly equivalent to 1mm, you could try these. I can't imagine that a lasercutter can cut mdf but not basswood. https://midwestproducts.com/collections/basswood/products/1-32-x-2-x-24-basswood-sheets

I'll check some hobby/doll store stores around to see if they have any good options.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I'll check some hobby/doll store stores around to see if they have any good options.

That basswood should be available at michaels. They've usually got a fairly comprehensive display, though the stock levels on it can be iffy and you can't usually check online.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Taking the advice I added some variation into the feather. Did a few more things as well.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think that colour scheme is really bad. Everything clashes and nothing is really coming together with it at all. Your admech stuff blows it out of the water.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

I think that colour scheme is really bad. Everything clashes and nothing is really coming together with it at all. Your admech stuff blows it out of the water.

Would it be better if I swapped the robes from sky blue to purple? That’s complementary from the yellow of the feather.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Would it be better if I swapped the robes from sky blue to purple? That’s complementary from the yellow of the feather.

I think it would look cool if you darkened the blue on the roads a touch and changed the feather from yellow/green to yellow/orange to both compliment the blue and transition into the red-orange of the axe.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think it would look cool if you darkened the blue on the roads a touch and changed the feather from yellow/green to yellow/orange to both compliment the blue and transition into the red-orange of the axe.

IAWTP. Color-wheel (blue/orange-yellow) and then triading (orange/yellow/red) it from there would look cool.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I would say wait until you're done with the gold to get a better idea. You will likely still have too much going on colorwise, but it might be something as simple as changing just the axe.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rad. I’ll get rid of the green on the feather and darken the blue robes.

For the feather, should I do the base red-orange or the tip?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Philthy posted:

I would say wait until you're done with the gold to get a better idea. You will likely still have too much going on colorwise, but it might be something as simple as changing just the axe.

I thought this was a silver custard though?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

goodness posted:

Gripping Beast uses some really thin plastic bits for bases, half the thickness of the FoW bases.

E: I think they might actually be Rendera bases?

DiHK fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 18, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I thought this was a silver custard though?

Yeah, his armor will be silver. The base is going to match my AdMech stuff, so this is pretty much the final product (minus the changes I’m working on thanks to you guys.)

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I finished my first 5 members of House Orlock's wildest gang, the Hulkamaniacs: Randy, KoKo, Terry, D-Von, and Animal.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Thanks! I haven’t gone through all of these yet but I really like Vince Venturella.

I'm very late to this, but I've found that Aella13 has extremely concise and informative videos; her videos rarely go longer than 3 minutes but contain a lot of good information.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Just a quick note to say thank you to the goons who prepared the OP and give their airbrush advice. I used to be more than a little apprehensive about the whole "dying of preventable respiratory disease" aspect of spraying inside, but I got my 3M mask, cartridges etc and spray booth set up. After slowly assembling all my gadgets and so on, I actually got to prime a mini despite the near constant humidity and precipitation of North Jersey.

I tested on a lovely GW plastic crater I've been meaning to paint for approaching a decade. I hot glued it to the masonite, used some of that gritty-plaster black lava to transition between the single piece to the board. I then did a series of passes progressively highlighting, and playing around with intensity and distance with the brush itself. I drybrushed everything after this photo, and lightened up the dark center of the crater after this (was waiting for the paint to dry).

http://likeandkind.tumblr.com/post/173066096477/first-time-using-air-brush

It's nothing special and i'm not 100% happy with it, but any sort of color gradient or transition was just... not a thing I did well with a brush. I shot for a neat basecoat + army painter dip, for the most part. Zenithal highlighting and glazing looks like a real achievable technique now.

Thanks for all the chatter and info, I mostly lurk now but it really helped me to navigate these purchases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished my first 5 members of House Orlock's wildest gang, the Hulkamaniacs: Randy, KoKo, Terry, D-Von, and Animal.

These are great, but the skin doesn't look enough like a Slim Jim for true Hulkamania.