Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neo Rasa posted:

So like DC is going back to the prestige director with unique visions concept but with prestige producers instead via Spielberg Blackhawk and Scorsese Joker.

What does a prestige producer actually bring to a film? Serious question.

Producer is kind of an ill-defined credit. They can either be a money-man or an actual creative director, but it doesn't seem to have any consistency in Hollywood.

Spielberg was an Executive Producer on Transformers 5. Why? And what impact did that have on Transformers 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What does a prestige producer actually bring to a film? Serious question.

Producer is kind of an ill-defined credit. They can either be a money-man or an actual creative director, but it doesn't seem to have any consistency in Hollywood.

Spielberg was an Executive Producer on Transformers 5. Why? And what impact did that have on Transformers 5?

These are reasonable questions but given the result quality of Justice League I doubt DC or WB would think to ask them. :D

Is there like a "creative producer" or otherwise more clear title anyone's ever been credited as? In music and TV there are better defined titles for how involved a producer is but movies and video games just seem to be like whatever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Never thought I'd see the day where a major Hollywood action movie prominently shows Blackhawk on screen. I expect people to be talking about it. Blackhawk's going to be on everyone's lips.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That's a credit carried over from Transformers 1, in which Spielberg had been the person who convinced Hasbro to license their film rights out to his "studio" (as he is the sole owner of DreamWorks SKG, which is more a production company than a real studio anymore) and had a deep hand in the development of the picture because he was on a kick over making Shia LaBeouf a star.

He has been increasingly less invested in the franchise each movie - by 3 he was just cutting interviews on request for press outlets and by the time Wahlberg became the human star he wasn't even doing that. But he still makes a chunk of change off the success of the movies because he's basically the reason the franchise exists in the first place.

It's the same reason he has an executive producer credit on Jurassic World 2 even though I'm pretty sure he had zero to do with the actual development/production of it this time.

As for whether Blackhawk gets made or not, don't believe anything until there's photos of people actually shooting the drat thing - I have no trouble believing WB wants to keep on being in the Spielberg business (a smart move as Uni and WB are the two studios that produced the lion's share of Amblin films and so there's a lot of IP tied up with him that you'll need him on board for if you want to try to revitalize it - one imagines they want to reboot Gremlins or The Goonies since things like IT and Stranger Things are sizeable parts of the public consciousness), but if you've ever paid real attention to the trades at any time in your life, you'll know the rate of announced future Spielberg projects to actual finished films is like 1 per 7 or so, and you literally can't buy that a film he's involved in is actually going to come out until he's seen on set shooting the drat thing. Robopocalypse was literally casting before he pulled the plug on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

Never thought I'd see the day where a major Hollywood action movie prominently shows Blackhawk on screen. I expect people to be talking about it. Blackhawk's going to be on everyone's lips.

ckhawked

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Spielberg handed over Robopocalypse to Michael Bay, by the way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This. This is what I want instead of another Indiana Jones sequel. Let Spielberg play in another big fun pulp throwback arena rather than cranking out sequel nobody wants to Jones. He's already proven he's the best at adapting this sort of material before, so on board for him to do it again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You're gonna look really dumb when Green Lantern 2, The Flash, the Joker solo movie, and Batman: Year One come out last year.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Two kinda minor leaks for Infinity War and Avengers 4.

Avengers 4

Gwyneth Paltrow put up a picture on Instragram of her in her trailer on the last day of shooting Avengers 4. She deleted it quickly after it went up.

She had a mo-cap suit on the bottom half of her body.

So, Potts is in Avengers 4 and wearing Iron Man armor. Possibly Rescue, possibly Tony survives Infinity War, possibly Tony dies and she takes a suit.

Infinity War

They screened about 10 minutes of Infinity War in London.

Ebony Maw releases a group of aliens from a ship. They are scattering, scared, and trying to run away. All of a sudden, they freeze and the city goes totally silent. They then all simultaneously file in formation and the silence is interrupted by the thunderous sound of all of them moving in sync.

Doctor Strange conjures a large spectral glass shard and hurls it at Ebony Maw. Maw just stands completely still and at the last second one of the aliens jumps in the way and is impaled by the shard. Strange launches another shard and yet another of the aliens jumps and is impaled while Maw sits totally still. Maw is controlling this race of genetically engineered aliens and acting as a hive mind.

The aliens all move in sync and completely overwhelm Strange as he conjures portals, fireballs, spectral shards, and explosions. Strange is overrun and captured.

Maw suspends Strange in the air and asks him where the Stone (probably referring to the Time Stone) is. Strange refuses to tell him and is seemingly paralyzed and floating. He's twitching and trying to resist. Maw rests his hands on Strange's head and says, "Hmm... the mind isn't quite as frail as those hands."

Maw seems to be focusing on reading/controlling Strange's mind. Strange is screaming and resisting. He begins to conjure several small spectral shards behind Maw.

Maw says, "She was right. It's all out of balance." Starts to tell Strange that he isn't evil. That there have been so many near extinction level events in such a short amount of time, he has to see that isn't a coincidence. Strange is struggling to control the spectral shards as they kind of hover off the ground, but don't move.

Maw wonders how "something as incredible as the stone could choose someone so..." Strange jerks completely straight and the spectral shards fly at the back of Maw's head.

Close up of Maw's face and he freezes and stops talking. Camera pans out to reveal that the shards all stopped inches from the back of Maw's head.

Maw looks back down at Strange, "... disappointing."

Maw is in control of the shards and positions them around Strange's face. They slowly move forward and begin to draw blood. Strange screams and Maw asks him again about the stone.

The location of the Soul Stone is also revealed.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 18, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

"She was right. It's all out of balance."

Hell yeah!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Like anyone should read that poo poo.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am SO loving DOWN for Iron-Paltrow bullshit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna accidentally click something so I'm out! Peace

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving poo poo, if I'm not misunderstanding that line, they're actually loving doing the thing with Thanos wanting to bang Death

My god

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Wait, isn't Avengers 4 Infinity War?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Honest Thief posted:

Nope.

Avengers 4 is: Untitled Avengers Film (May 3rd, 2019)

Also, if Potts / Rescue is in Avengers 4 for sure, then does that mean that Tony is likely to survive Infinity War? MCU Potts doesn't really have an arc or connection to any other MCU characters except Tony and Happy.

It's obnoxious that Avengers 4 is almost less than a year from releasing, has finished shooting, and they still won't release a title. Let the crazy people speculate over the meaning of a one-word subtitle!

Edit:

In a small bit of actual news/content: The Russos said that all public media for Infinity War (trailers, TV spots, etc) has been from the first 1/3 of the movie or so and about half of the first act follows Thanos and the Black Order around.

They also confirmed Ant-Man and the Wasp will appear in Avengers 4, but wouldn't confirm or deny if Ant-Man is in Infinity War... which is weird. I had assumed that he was and Paul Rudd is on the IMDB page for Infinity War.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 18, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Honest Thief posted:

It was originally titled Infinity War Part 2 but they removed or changed that in mid 2016.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's obnoxious that Avengers 4 is almost less than a year from releasing, has finished shooting, and they still won't release a title. Let the crazy people speculate over the meaning of a one-word subtitle!

It's going to be called "Crisis on Infinite(y) Wars" and they're using the trailer to announce that Disney has bought the rights to the DC films and those guys are appearing in A4

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nope.

Avengers 4 is: Untitled Avengers Film (May 3rd, 2019)

Also, if Potts / Rescue is in Avengers 4 for sure, then does that mean that Tony is likely to survive Infinity War? MCU Potts doesn't really have an arc or connection to any other MCU characters except Tony and Happy.

Edit:

In a small bit of actual news/content: The Russos said that all public media for Infinity War (trailers, TV spots, etc) has been from the first 1/3 of the movie or so and about half of the first act follows Thanos and the Black Order around.

They also confirmed Ant-Man and the Wasp will appear in Avengers 4, but wouldn't confirm or deny if Ant-Man is in Infinity War... which is weird. I had assumed that he was and Paul Rudd is on the IMDB page for Infinity War.

Again, can you please provide sources for this stuff? The EW cover story said that the third act is in Wakanda, so I’m doubtful that that part is accurate.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Barry Convex posted:

Again, can you please provide sources for this stuff? The EW cover story said that the third act is in Wakanda, so I’m doubtful that that part is accurate.

Sorry, I guess I worded that too strictly. They didn't say all of it was the first act. They said most of it.

quote:

Our day job is spoken for in the foreseeable future. There's going to be a lot of unexpected characters. There are more surprises packed into this film than any of the others. Part of that is character interactions, new interesting characters, characters that have made small appearances that are really getting fleshed out in this film. A lot of people enjoy the experience, so I don't want to give anything away, but certainly you can expect lots of surprises.

We’re about to embark on the Avengers: Infinity War press tour. We will be visiting fans all over the world screening only a limited amount of selected footage from the film in order to avoid spoiling the story for future viewers.

We will not screen the film in its entirely until the Los Angeles premiere shortly before the film’s global release, everyone involved with the film has worked incredibly hard for the past two years maintaining the highest level of secrecy. Most of the public media is all from the first act, we had to take out Thor's eyepatch for the initial trailer, and even most of the cast hasn't seen a full cut.

We put the letter up on Facebook asking fans to respect other fans and avoid spoiling the film. Part of the reason we went with a simultaneous global release was to give the fans around the world a chance to experience this together. Only a handful of people know the film’s true plot. We’re asking that when you see Infinity War, in the coming months, that you maintain that same level of secrecy so that all fans can have an equal experience when they watch it for the first time. Don’t spoil it for others, the same way you wouldn’t want it spoiled for you.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 18, 2018

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Avengers 4 is still Thanos stuff, they just removed the Infinity War Part 2 subtitle from it. If I remember correctly, they didn't want to reveal the title until Infinity War was released since it will apparently be a spoiler.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crows Turn Off posted:

Avengers 4 is still Thanos stuff, they just removed the Infinity War Part 2 subtitle from it. If I remember correctly, they didn't want to reveal the title until Infinity War was released since it will apparently be a spoiler.

Did they confirm that?

I thought they only officially confirmed that Infinity War and 4 are "connected in a way that Avengers and Ultron weren't" and that "some characters who aren't prominent in Infinity War will have big roles in 4."

That seems strongly like it is still Thanos stuff, but not necessarily for sure.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I’m trying to think how the title could be a spoiler, especially since the previous Avengers movies (and proxy Avengers movie, Civil War) have all used Marvel crossover arcs as their title. So unless it’s like, Ultimate Avengers or maybe Secret Invasion (which could both lead to a soft-reboot after things get borked up by the Infinity Gems to explain away casting changes when contracts run out), I don’t see how it could reveal anything.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I hope it's "Thanos Wins" after the recent comics and we get Jon Bernthal playing a snarky Ghost Rider.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Did they confirm that?
I guess if you consider Kevin Feige a source. I know he says a lot of things.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1650510/why-avengers-4-doesnt-have-a-title-yet-according-to-kevin-feige

quote:

Me: When I talked with Joe and Anthony Russo last year, I guess a couple months ago, they mentioned... we [the public] don't know the name of Avengers 4, that they're not going to announce it, it's going to be a minute. I'm curious if the reason for that is because it's a spoiler.

Kevin Feige: Yeah, for sure.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Avengers 4: The Assassination of Tony Stark by the Coward Thanos

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Avengers 4: The Revengers Strike Back

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thanks. He also says this though:

quote:

Me: Will Thanos be in both movies? Or is his story complete by the end of Infinity War?

Kevin Feige: They're two very different movies. That's all I'll say.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Thanks. He also says this though:
Yeah, I'm guessing that he doesn't want people to think Infinity War is not a "complete" movie; like, "don't wait until Avengers 4 to see them both because this is a separate movie."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NTRabbit posted:

Avengers 4: The Revengers Strike Back

Revengers Resemble

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that he doesn't want people to think Infinity War is not a "complete" movie; like, "don't wait until Avengers 4 to see them both because this is a separate movie."

Yeah, I agree with you that Avengers 4 is probably still Thanos stuff.

But, the title for 4 being a spoiler and Thanos not being in 4 can both be true. I was just saying that I don't think they officially confirmed that the main arc of 4 is Thanos/Stones.

Edit:

As a side thought, it seems weird that they decided to:

- Film Infinity War and 4 together
- Say that Avengers 4 is "the end of the current MCU"
- But make Infinity War the movie with large shake-ups/changes

Since we know that there is a 4 and that 4 is "the end," then shouldn't 4 be the shake-up/"no rules" one?

Because we know which one is "the end" and it isn't Infinity War.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 18, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Everyone will be surprised, and understand the secrecy, when the final scene of Infinity War sets up the unlikeliest crossover in Avengers 4: Death of Superman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

But, the title for 4 being a spoiler and Thanos not being in 4 can both be true. I was just saying that I don't think they officially confirmed that the main arc of 4 is Thanos/Stones.

Edit:

Since we know that there is a 4 and that 4 is "the end," then shouldn't 4 be the shake-up/"no rules" one?

It's because they really aren't two separate stories, Avengers 4 is just going to be a continuation/wrap up of whatever cliff hanger we're left with at the end of Infinity War. So Infinity War has the first half of the story where everything gets "shaken up", and Avengers 4 will be the movie where everything gets tied up with a bow and the "torch is passed" and the seeds are planted for whatever they have in mind for the next phase.

My prediction is these two movies will be remembered as bloated and unnecessary and that a single more streamlined 2.5 hour film would have been better.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edit:

Don't put too much stock in Feige's PR bullshit (Winter Soldier being a '70s political thriller ell oh loving ell), he's just hyping up the movie.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

. I had assumed that he was and Paul Rudd is on the IMDB page for Infinity War.

IMDb has never been the best standard. I could have My Balls listed in the credits.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wouldn’t be surprised if they take “the new avengers” to try and set up the new characters and because all the other dudes will be dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they take “the new avengers” to try and set up the new characters and because all the other dudes will be dead.

I really, really don't expect them to kill off any of the main players, at least not in a truly definitive way. Just because certain actors want a break at this moment in time, that's not a reason to cut yourself off from a potential return in a few years when they might feel differently. A big Steve Rogers/Tony Stark reunion movie would be nice wild card to have in their back pocket for 5-10 years down the road, if the MCU ever needs a jump-start.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

Winter Soldier being a '70s political thriller ell oh loving ell

I mean, it's not like that's just a lie. The film is clearly influenced by those movies in a significant way, it just doesn't resemble them at all in the end. I don't think anyone ever assumed he meant otherwise. Except maybe you?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Basebf555 posted:

I really, really don't expect them to kill off any of the main players, at least not in a truly definitive way. Just because certain actors want a break at this moment in time, that's not a reason to cut yourself off from a potential return in a few years when they might feel differently. A big Steve Rogers/Tony Stark reunion movie would be nice wild card to have in their back pocket for 5-10 years down the road, if the MCU ever needs a jump-start.

I doubt that they want to keep paying RDJ $40 million a year for 10 minute cameos or release a movie with a 64-year old Iron Man.

(I would watch Captain America: Nursing Home Wars, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Comic storyline spoilers:
When I say dead I do so with the idea that everyone is getting slaughtered in A3 or beginning of A4 and resurrected at the end. Then some will decide to retire from that.

Kind of why I expect A4 to be a full passing of the torch.