Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Grem posted:

I am jealous of friendly fire incidents in the bullshit war.

Before I deployed I was an MP on Camp Kinser in Okinawa. We constantly had to secure unlocked buildings. We also had to have our guns drawn for this poo poo. Lots of warehouses on Kinser have rooms with two openings. I was a boot, meritorious Lance, and there was a Corporal with me. He made me clear the surrounding rooms while he stayed in a room with two doors. He told me to knock three times and open the door when I'm done with the rooms on the opposite side of where we entered. I cleared the rooms and was about to knock and for some reason this dude opens the loving door.

Every time I see this gif I see this dude's reaction:

He gives that look and raises his M9 right in front of my loving face. He somehow missed and I escaped with my life and a perforated ear drum. There's probably a bullet hole still in some supply building that had arctic cammies in it on Kinser, we never reported it.

But gently caress me I would have preferred a letter home about friendly fire in Iraq than "Sorry mom, my idiot boss shot me in the face in Japan a night after we got wasted at karaoke."

Why the ever-living gently caress did you idiots have to have your loving guns drawn in loving Korea? Was some Juicy Girl going to sneak in and steal all the loving drip pans in your supply building for Kim Jong Il?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Haha it was Okinawa, Japan but all I can say is "bad leadership". I almost shot the SNCOotD once cause of that poo poo, yea it's stupid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
IDK why I thought I read Korea, but that's even worse. LMAO.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I'm not familiar with the exacts of MPs or even the military but what the gently caress. Did someone call up and say "This building that should have been locked for the night isn't, can you guys check whether someone broke in or some idiot just forgot to lock it up" and SOP calls for doing it with weapons drawn?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was killed due to FF in almost all on my exercises. Had a LT go a whole 5k off target on a live fire at NTC. Impact within 50m or friendlies waiting for fires mission.

My buddy got that bullshit those guys were talkin though. He was 1st Cav I think, and apparently they had orders to shoot in the air to “claim the area” only to accidentally have a unit of the same hierarchy show up and fire back.

The way he tells stories is amazing. He’s a second language English speaker and it’s amazing because he chooses words so arbitrary that it makes you laugh.

“Yeah, I took that woman home. I didn’t care that she was old. She pissed the bed. It was different.”

*as a hose is disconnected and water sprays everywhere” Somethings Happening!”

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He's not wrong.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Fragrag posted:

I'm not familiar with the exacts of MPs or even the military but what the gently caress. Did someone call up and say "This building that should have been locked for the night isn't, can you guys check whether someone broke in or some idiot just forgot to lock it up" and SOP calls for doing it with weapons drawn?

The JSGs (Japanese Security Guards, guys who do basically the gates on Okinawa) have a little golf cart they roll around in at night and check doors. They basically turn the handle and if it opens they call us. Desk Sergeant dispatches us and SOP was weapons drawn to clear buildings for what I'm sure is a totally logical and sane reason and not some Major thinking he ran a SWAT team. Yes, it was stupid.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Here in Iwakuni the marines do what is apparently called a blackout drill that apparently involves our hangers. In summary if you step outside you will have a gun in your face and be detained.

I work days so that's all I know about it but it's the reason night check closed up shop at 21 one night. It would be more entertaining if they didn't announce it...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Everytime I browse this thread and think "ok, that's it, this is peak stupid" you guys manage to raise the bar.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Digging a deeper hole via international arms dealing

This could literally be a episode of NCIS, holy poo poo.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

David Hackworth had a store in his bio about losing a full-auto m2 carbine. Him and his armory sgt bought a civilian model, welded a fake selector switch to it, engraved a new serial, and then had it officially turned in and destroyed at a later date.

... He also ran an official unit whorehouse where you could pay in company scrip in 'Nam, which is some next level "no fucks given".

quote:

However, investigators concluded that the colonel enlisted his men in a black-market currency scheme that netted him tens of thousands of dollars. He would admit only that the men smuggled $100,000 of his poker winnings out of the country.

The Secretary of the Army allowed the colonel to retire to Australia, where he made millions in a restaurant business and duck farm.

Hackworth, to put it mildly, is a polarizing figure.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 18, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hang with all nobles.

No gently caress that. First of all I bet he wasn't cool with anybody that wasn't in his loving ole boys club. Second of all, still gross.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 18, 2018

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

BigDave posted:

This could literally be a episode of NCIS, holy poo poo.

I've toyed with the idea of mashing a bunch of my buddies and my experienced together in an angrier MASH treatment. Don't know if I could get any takers or have more than a miniseries of material.

The invasion era could be "The Suckmarillion" followed by oif 4-9 "The Fobbit"

Steezo fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 18, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Steezo posted:

I've toyed with the idea of mashing a bunch of my buddies and my experienced together in an angrier MASH treatment. Don't know if I could get any takers or have more than a miniseries of material.

Maybe you could do it as dinner theater?

http://www.hardenedstructures.com/bunkers-for-Sale.php

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Steezo posted:

I'd watch it. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia meets Generation Kill

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Wasabi the J posted:

Hang with all nobles.

No gently caress that. First of all I bet he wasn't cool with anybody that wasn't in his loving ole boys club. Second of all, still gross.

idk man. he may have or have not been a scumbbag but hes got oak leaves on his dsc, 10 silver stars and 8 purple hearts.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

BigDave posted:

Need to work on my writing anyway. GK meets Always Sunny is a spot on description of an invasion era gun section. I'm gonna steal that. The section chief is Frank, powder monkey is Chralie

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I shared this story in a bit more detail on the discord, but long story short, I knew a pretty big idiot while I was at Vicenza. He got a tattoo to memorialize his sister. She killed herself and he wanted to pay tribute to her. I've got no problem with that, because I get where he's coming from and some tattoos are personal things. The problem though, is the placement of the memorial tattoo.

He got it while being chaptered or just after getting chaptered, while the rest of us were deployed in OEF 13. It really brightened our lives when we saw it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hhahahaah, holy gently caress how could that even be conceived of as a good idea

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BigDave posted:

I also would watch the gently caress out of this theoretical show.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Always Stupid

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...r-puppet-video/

quote:

The Tennessee Air National Guard colonel who led a re-enlistment ceremony in which a senior noncommissioned officer recited her oath using a dinosaur puppet has been demoted and retired.

Army Maj. Gen. Terry Haston, the adjutant general for the Tennessee National Guard, also announced in a Facebook post Wednesday that Master Sgt. Robin Brown, the SNCO whose videotaped re-enlistment ceremony created a firestorm online, has been removed from her full-time job with the Tennessee Joint Public Affairs Office and is facing other administrative actions.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

muh traditions

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

One of my former PSGs reenlisted in front of a burning car. In Mosul. The occupants of the car, a couple insurgents, were dead and burning in it. (It was right after a successful ambush.)

Gotta wonder how that would play out today on social media.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Hang with all nobles.

he created tiger force which is basically a SF unit for war crimes

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

he created tiger force which is basically a SF unit for war crimes

Right, the guys who would scalp dead and dying VC and cut off ears.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

NO FUN ALLOWED.

God drat that owns though.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Rat posted:

One of my former PSGs reenlisted in front of a burning car. In Mosul. The occupants of the car, a couple insurgents, were dead and burning in it. (It was right after a successful ambush.)

Gotta wonder how that would play out today on social media.

:stare:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

BigDave posted:

Right, the guys who would scalp dead and dying VC and cut off ears.

They got investigated after word got passed their psycho pointman decapitated a loving baby.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah apparently the insurgents tried to do a drive by and then got lit the hell up with a 240. PSG decided to do his reenlistment oath then with the PL on the spot. (This was like 3 months before I transferred to that platoon.)

He later bitched that had he waited a month for the fiscal year to be over, he would have gotten a big bonus instead of nothing.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Your enemies dead in a pile before you is a p good bonus.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Idiot checking in, old as well. What is Discord?

Digital IRC? How can I benefit from this?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Discord is voice and text chatrooms that are generally for gaming and have also become the go-to communication platform for lots of different communities. It's good because it works on literally any platform, and you can log in to it on your work computer as well without having to install anything.

I don't have the details of the GiP Discord though, if that was your next question.

also lol @ "digital IRC", I guess it's as opposed to all those analogue versions of Internet Relay Chat?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Booger Presley posted:

Idiot checking in, old as well. What is Discord?

Digital IRC? How can I benefit from this?

https://discord.gg/heDcZUk

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Force-True-Story-Men/dp/0316066354

Is a great book

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Err. Thanks for the replies. I am lagging, this has been confirmed by the informative posts. Slavic Crime Yacht and Memento are always welcome on my lawn.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Memento posted:

Discord is voice and text chatrooms that are generally for gaming and have also become the go-to communication platform for lots of different communities.

Including the Alt-right, who don't realize all it takes is one infiltrator to air their dirty laundy to the world. drat but those guys are dumb

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Any chance you wanna not leave that open in the forum?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So out of curiosity, what would get a 23 year old out of Navy boot camp after two weeks? This kids claim is that they asked him to "come back in eight months".

In school he was a thief, liar and serial plagiarist. He's totaled four cars since graduation, had several dead end jobs that never lasted more than a couple of months and flunked out of med tech and flight attendant schools.

My money is on either not being able to follow orders or just couldn't.

It's definitely not medical or fitness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's fitness.

Fitness whole boot up in his failure-to-adapt rear end.