Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kurieg posted:

Since I cannot escape the man, I'm morbidly curious.
How in depth is this dedication to McFarland in "Imperialism in Australian Dreams"?

"This book is dedicated to: ...
¶ Matt McFarland, who believed in me even when I had doubts..."

One of 4 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blogwatch: CtL 2e: Hedgespinning
Geist 2e: The Underworld.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Loomer posted:

"This book is dedicated to: ...
¶ Matt McFarland, who believed in me even when I had doubts..."

One of 4 people.

That's not as egregious as I feared. Still, I wonder when we'll hit the point where books were still early enough in the development pipeline for them to stop praising Matt.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I believe the Scion crew explicitly said they didn't do an Australian religion because it is treated as a secret not to be shared with outsiders and so anything they do would either be very incomplete or offensive, probably both. If they can't do justice to a pantheon, they'd rather not include it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kaza42 posted:

I believe the Scion crew explicitly said they didn't do an Australian religion because it is treated as a secret not to be shared with outsiders and so anything they do would either be very incomplete or offensive, probably both. If they can't do justice to a pantheon, they'd rather not include it.

Yeah. It's probably the best approach in the long run, to be honest. Enough Dreaming lore and law is hidden away in initiatory and totemic systems that even experts on the subject only know a tiny part of a far bigger puzzle. Whitefella dreamings are developing but are radically different, of course.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

Yeah. I know they worked pretty hard to make sure the Hindu pantheon was a better representation (I believe Kali in particular was mentioned) so deciding not to do an Australian pantheon is no surprise.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Really liking the Underworld here. A good mixture of places to meet NPCs who can pretty easily come with their own story hooks. I like the water theme to.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

neaden posted:

Really liking the Underworld here. A good mixture of places to meet NPCs who can pretty easily come with their own story hooks. I like the water theme to.
I'm liking that:
1. It's more hellish than even Wraith's Stygia
2. The next reveal blog will probably be playable ghosts

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm liking that:
1. It's more hellish than even Wraith's Stygia
2. The next reveal blog will probably be playable ghosts

Oh yeah, the Underworld is so delightfully lovely. It really drives home the horror knowing that you are going to end up there sooner or later. Crucially though compared to Wraith it's an intrinsically lovely place rather than having a lovely dictatorship that turns people into chairs. It also seems like they are doubling down on the sense that you could improve it if you want a more hopeful game.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

neaden posted:

Oh yeah, the Underworld is so delightfully lovely. It really drives home the horror knowing that you are going to end up there sooner or later. Crucially though compared to Wraith it's an intrinsically lovely place rather than having a lovely dictatorship that turns people into chairs. It also seems like they are doubling down on the sense that you could improve it if you want a more hopeful game.
It also makes whichever faction is pro breaking ghosts out of the Underworld a lot more sympathetic, since it's like: yes. Ghosts in the regular real world probably sucks for people and the ghosts, but hooooly poo poo does being a ghost in the Underworld suck, and drive the creation of geists (nice to have that spelled out so clearly too).

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

neaden posted:

The underworld is basically a big giant metaphor for systemic oppression, so it was important to me that there wasn't a specific person (or cabal of people or whatever) that you can punch in the face to make the problem go away.

That said, one of the mechanically-supported endgames for a Geist chronicle is literally "dismantle the Underworld and replace it with something better," so yeah. "Hope" is a major touchstone of the game.

It also makes whichever faction is pro breaking ghosts out of the Underworld a lot more sympathetic, since it's like: yes. Ghosts in the regular real world probably sucks for people and the ghosts, but hooooly poo poo does being a ghost in the Underworld suck, and drive the creation of geists (nice to have that spelled out so clearly too).

Just to clarify, a ghost drinking from the Rivers is the most common way to become a geist, but not the only way. Notable others include being the first person (or sometimes animal) interred in a cemetery, certain occult rituals, and of course the obligatory "weird inexplicable circumstances probably involving astrological conjunctions or ley lines or some poo poo, who knows?"

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 18, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GimpInBlack posted:

The underworld is basically a big giant metaphor for systemic oppression, so it was important to me that there wasn't a specific person (or cabal of people or whatever) that you can punch in the face to make the problem go away.

That said, one of the mechanically-supported endgames for a Geist chronicle is literally "dismantle the Underworld and replace it with something better," so yeah. "Hope" is a major touchstone of the game.
Hell, replacing it with the oWoD Shadowlands would seem like a signal improvement. It's like every ghost has that Spectre erosion thing going on whether they like it or not!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

GimpInBlack posted:

Just to clarify, a ghost drinking from the Rivers is the most common way to become a geist, but not the only way. Notable others include being the first person (or sometimes animal) interred in a cemetery, certain occult rituals, and of course the obligatory "weird inexplicable circumstances probably involving astrological conjunctions or ley lines or some poo poo, who knows?"

Church Grim Geist, awesome.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So, I'm rereading Mugrims No Place Like Home, and I'm really wanting to run something with those creatures in a different setting.

Back when I read it first, I asked him to send me his notes, and he agreed, but never got around to it, and now he seemed to have dropped off the forums. Did any of you receive his campaign notes, or know how to contact him at present? I will reward anyone who sends the notes to me.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 18, 2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

GimpInBlack posted:

Every geist having a Dead Like Me / Six Feet Under cold open origin sounds insanely cool and good to me. Oops I stepped on a toad while walking through a new cemetery and it got swept up in the dirt I was digging, time for Slippy the Frog screaming in someone's ear for a hundred years as part of their dread bargain.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That's a really complex in-game explanation for having tinnitus but you know what? Run with it, see where it goes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Every geist having a Dead Like Me / Six Feet Under cold open origin sounds insanely cool and good to me. Oops I stepped on a toad while walking through a new cemetery and it got swept up in the dirt I was digging, time for Slippy the Frog screaming in someone's ear for a hundred years as part of their dread bargain.
A krewe whose geists are all star fox characters would be exactly the kind of game I would play in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Geist 2E: Do a Barrow Roll

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

World of Darkness Megathread: The Future Is Slippy Screaming In Your Ear Forever

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Geist 2E: Do a Barrow Roll

You monster.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tias posted:

So, I'm rereading Mugrims No Place Like Home, and I'm really wanting to run something with those creatures in a different setting.

Back when I read it first, I asked him to send me his notes, and he agreed, but never got around to it, and now he seemed to have dropped off the forums. Did any of you receive his campaign notes, or know how to contact him at present? I will reward anyone who sends the notes to me.

Do what I do and just rip him off in the broad strokes. You’ll be doing all the other work as an ST, after all.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Do what I do and just rip him off in the broad strokes. You’ll be doing all the other work as an ST, after all.

I am, no worries :) I'm mainly concerned about proper power balance for the fallen so I don't wipe out my team. If you'd like we can compare notes?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is there a thing in any of the White Wolf/Onyx Path canon where a mortal gains supernatural power by rotating their head 180 degrees? Like, physically turning their head to face the other direction. I have the vague idea that that's thing where Paradox corrupts a mage by spinning their head around, but I think it was also somehow related to necromancy, and how the head represents gazing back at everything that's already gone by?

I know it's a plot point in "I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The Attic" but I thought I remembered encountering the idea earlier. It also showed up in the Perdido Street Station books, they had mirrored sunglasses so they could still see where they were going. Any ideas?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Is there a thing in any of the White Wolf/Onyx Path canon where a mortal gains supernatural power by rotating their head 180 degrees? Like, physically turning their head to face the other direction. I have the vague idea that that's thing where Paradox corrupts a mage by spinning their head around, but I think it was also somehow related to necromancy, and how the head represents gazing back at everything that's already gone by?

I know it's a plot point in "I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The Attic" but I thought I remembered encountering the idea earlier. It also showed up in the Perdido Street Station books, they had mirrored sunglasses so they could still see where they were going. Any ideas?
The origin of this idea is probably the Invunche, originally from "On Patagonia" but formalized and brought to grisly comic life in Alan Moore's work on "Swamp Thing."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
This is cool as hell and definitely good reading but what I'm thinking of is something that happens to an adult, in exchange for some kind of false enlightenment.

this is something the Tremere would make posted:

The invunche is a deformed human with its head twisted backwards, along with having twisted arms, fingers, nose, mouth and ears. The creature walks on one foot or on three feet (actually one leg and two hands) because one of its legs is attached to the back of its neck.

Tias
May 25, 2008

quote:

The invunche leaves the cave only in certain circumstances, such as when the cave is destroyed or discovered and the warlock moves to another cave, or when the warlocks have need of it and carry it thrashing and yelling, scaring the townspeople and announcing misfortune to come.

poor fucker!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

This is also an accurate description of when I leave the house.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's also the fate of diviners and astrologers in hell, according to Dante's inferno. They wanted to see the future, so their ironic punishment is only being able to see backwards.

E: Awesome! This is definitely a good thread.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 19, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I'm 90% convinced it was Inferno I was thinking of, so thanks a lot moths! this is a Good Thread.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This is cool as hell and definitely good reading but what I'm thinking of is something that happens to an adult, in exchange for some kind of false enlightenment.

That's amazing timing as I was looking for something just like this for ummm.... reasons? I have a feeling this may make an appearance in my game at some point in the future. Maybe not exactly like this, but I tend to take ideas and just use them how I need them anyway.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I could definitely see something like the Imbunche acting as the "dark inversion" of sorcerers & mortals with Numina powers, basically a mortal made vassal and corrupted by forbidden knowledge. Likely to show up in areas of heavy Marauder/Nephandi activity, maybe even a type of Formori.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I could definitely see something like the Imbunche acting as the "dark inversion" of sorcerers & mortals with Numina powers, basically a mortal made vassal and corrupted by forbidden knowledge. Likely to show up in areas of heavy Marauder/Nephandi activity, maybe even a type of Formori.
I'd say it should be pretty big medicine relative to most minions, even Swamp Thing had to wrestle with it and Swamp Thing is basically a god.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I had the idea that since these things need to be raised from children, that there's the potential for something like the Westminster Imbunche Show, where nephandi parade their creations through an obstacle course and obedience test. Later on there's a cosplay contest, but everyone just wants to dress up like the chimera from Fullmetal Alchemist.

A cosmetics portion where the back (front facing) of their head is shaved, and a simulacra face painted on with makeups.

i can't tell if any of that is more or less cruel than baby vs dog.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i can't tell if any of that is more or less cruel than baby vs dog.

If they're doing FMA Cosplay then they get both :science:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I had the idea that since these things need to be raised from children, that there's the potential for something like the Westminster Imbunche Show, where nephandi parade their creations through an obstacle course and obedience test. Later on there's a cosplay contest, but everyone just wants to dress up like the chimera from Fullmetal Alchemist.

A cosmetics portion where the back (front facing) of their head is shaved, and a simulacra face painted on with makeups.
This makes the Invunche sound like that dude who lived in Dio's house.

"We're friends, aren't we??" *attempts Mind rote*
"yes we're friends - friends of justice"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

If they're doing FMA Cosplay then they get both :science:

GimpInBlack posted:

You monster.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How would you simulate a swarm of creatures? The pack is going to end up facing off against some small monsters that are weak individually, but gang up to overwhelm more powerful opponents.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You're playing nuWolf, right? Here's what it says in the V20 book:

this is the closest i can get to helpful posted:

Packs and Swarms
Although the Traits listed above detail individual
creatures, some animals attack en masse. If a swarm of
hornets or horde of rats accosts the characters, instead
of trying to determine what each and every member of
a pack or swarm does, simply roll to see if the swarm itself
harms a character. Narrate the results from there.
Each beast type is given a listing on the chart below.
Roll the damage dice pool listed once per turn (difficulty
6), and allow the characters to try to dodge or
soak the result. This damage is lethal, or possibly bashing
in the case of small or weak creatures. Packs attack
once per turn per target, and act on the initiative given
on the chart.
If a character dodges, he can move normally for the
remainder of the turn. Otherwise, his attackers slow
him down to half his usual movement. If they score
more than three health levels’ worth of damage in one
turn (after the target soaks), or if the player botches
an appropriate roll, the character is knocked down and
overrun. He can only move 1-2 yards/meters per turn,
and the swarm’s damage difficulty falls to 5. Efforts to
get back up and continue moving (see “Knockdown,”
p. 279) are typically at +1 or +2 difficulty.
The health levels listed reflect the amount of damage
it takes to disperse a pack or swarm. An additional two
health levels destroy the attackers completely. Pistols,
rifles, and small melee weapons (knives, brass knuckles,
bottles, claws, bare hands) inflict a single health
level per strike, no matter how many attack or damage
successes are rolled (that is, the strike hits only one
creature). Shotguns, submachine guns, and large melee
weapons (swords, staves, boards, chainsaws) do normal
damage (each damage success rolled eliminates one
health level of the swarm as a whole), as do large-area
attacks (Molotov cocktails, frost storms, gusts of wind,
explosions). Swarms and packs don’t soak.
Depending on the size of the pack, two or more characters
might be affected by it and can attack it in return.
Anyone who helps an overrun character can be
attacked as well. A human can outrun some packs or
swarms (those consisting of rats or bugs), but can’t hope
to outrun others (those consisting of hyenas or birds).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

How would you simulate a swarm of creatures? The pack is going to end up facing off against some small monsters that are weak individually, but gang up to overwhelm more powerful opponents.

There's rules for swarms. The first place I'd look is Demon, since...demons can be a swarm so the swarm rules are definitely in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to both of you. I was thinking of just doing auto damage each round, I'll check damon out when I get home and compare the two with what I had planned.